CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

Difficult to see it go down that way in the end.  Horns had no business getting the 4 chances at the end. With all the penalties.  10+ passing bombs by Penis.  Conservative play calls until down by 2 touchdowns and on and on. Washington player injury giving 45 seconds versus maybe 15?

The play calling was not to lose instead of let it rip how the game was called against Bama.

If the miracle did occur we would all know we would’ve won with an asterisk watching the actual game.

I would’ve loved to see the win mostly because I’d love to get a chance at that asshat Harbaugh but Washington was the better team tonight.  Their guys wanted it more. 

The season was more successful than anyone could’ve predicted so kudos to the horns.  We just had to run into an Alpha in Penix which has always been longhorn kryptonite.

Ewers is not the dark knight yet hopefully he gets there if he stays.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, vandergriff said:

The swing pass to Blue on the short side of the field was one if the worst calls I've ever seen.  What in the hell was Sark thinking there?  What an absurdly stupid call in that situation.

Only explanation is that I guess he was hoping to catch them napping. Roll the damn QB out and try to find an open receiver in the end zone. Instead we throw jump balls into the corner of the end zone. 

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We should have been running the ball and controlling the clock. Help your defense out some and keep them off the field. Especially when you’re getting 9 a touch. 
The defense was terrible but Sark absolutely shit the bed for two full quarters.

Third quarter we fumble then next drive false start after run on first down. I believe that's all we had the ball.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, WalmartTexasFans said:

At least we all have the horrible memory of illegal blocking on the defense so that’s it ever gets calls again we immediately have terrible flashbacks.  Like we do when a defensive linemen gets called for holding. 

The dude slipped while we was being blocked and only ever hit the offensive lineman in the chest. Just a bizarre call. It absolutely is up there with the bizarre holding call from the OSU game.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Does anyone else feel like if Brooks was healthy we would have won?!

I do.

Our running game wasn't the problem.  Does Brooks play CB or Safety?  Or QB for that matter?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

their WR played out of their heads.

I’d push back on this specific point. They have three future pros and the Texas secondary was simply outmanned. If you gave me the single data point that Penix would not be sacked at all I’d have bet the house on Washington. Texas’s defense was just beat up and down the field. I mean, I don’t hit 11 YPA on NCAA 14.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

29 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Yes would have like to have seen a pass to Whitt into the endzone. He is true Longhorn and would have given all to make the catch.

Steve grossly mishandled J-Whitt, criminally. It's like he's either stupid or blind, the kid makes plays whenever given the chance. Does Steve want to keep utilizing such a playmaker? Lulz no. He wants to throw deep to Worthy and a screen to Blue. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, hookem48 said:

Third quarter we fumble then next drive false start after run on first down. I believe that's all we had the ball.

I think sark got the message and intended to pound them with the run game in the third. Players shit the bed.

fact is the CFP is a massive distraction. They weren’t ready. 

Just now, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Our coaching staff is overrated. They aren’t near as good as they think they are. 

Next year won’t be easy. I see 2-3 losses at least. Michigan and Georgia for sure are Ls.

Disagree on Michigan. We will be in a lot of close games. I think the team has 2 losses and makes the 12 team playoff. 

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Baxter and Blue fumbles didn't help. Those guys are young and will get better.

It comes down to defense. We didn't have the horses in the secondary or DE.

They had all season to get better at protecting the ball. I blame the coaches.

Just now, troph said:

It’s true we really needed the TD the drive before. Last two red zone chances 3 points and no points. I have the sads.

Me to. I am going to drink some whisky and go to bed.

I know I should be elated after a great season...but you know how it is. Sucks to come so close.

At least we have baseball season coming up. Hope springs eternal. See you on the baseball board soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Slacks said:

He threw it high and slow for the defender to come over the top and swat it. 

Throw out back and down so the defender has to interfere to get a hand on it, and your guy can get both hands on it cleanly. 

Or you know, your receiver can elevate and catch the ball. Like he did on the last TD, and like Ewers probably expected him to.

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

No. I don't agree. If Sark demanded it, it would be done. It's not rocket science. Sark says, you get what you emphasize. Yeah, that's part of it. But you can also make it mandatory by benching their ass. If you demand they wrap the ball up, they'd do it, or not play. It don't make a fuck if you're falling backwards. You always switch the ball to the off-side arm tucked when running free and when contact or heavy traffic is imminent, you wrap the ball with both arms tight BEFORE contact. You always do it when running between the tackles until you're free to the second level and have some space. Not much speed is sacrificed there and then turn it on when you have some breathing room.

Everything you've said, they've heard as long as they've been running the ball. I peonies you. 

We don't have anyone else to play at RB. Brooks and Roving were out. We played who we had. They fumbled. 

The gibbous hurt, but not as much as our inability to defend the pass as soon as we lined up. 

UW passing game is elite. 

2 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Our coaching staff is overrated. They aren’t near as good as they think they are. 

Next year won’t be easy. I see 2-3 losses at least. Michigan and Georgia for sure are Ls.

Settle down, pussycat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hondo said:

Our running game wasn't the problem.  Does Brooks play CB or Safety?  Or QB for that matter?

Our running game most certainly was the number one problem.  Take two TOs off the board - one in the red zone - and it’s an entirely different game. Averaging 7 yards is great but ball security is as much about the running game as breaking tackles for YAC.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

The dude slipped while we was being blocked and only ever hit the offensive lineman in the chest. Just a bizarre call. It absolutely is up there with the bizarre holding call from the OSU game.

That was a terrible call, he hit the olineman in the chest

• Hook 'Em 1

We need a different DB coach.  Missed at least 2 opportunities to pic off those bombs if the DBs get their heads turned to find the ball..At the very least could have knocked the passes down.  Haven't had good DB coaching since Akina.

Edited by Azbadlands
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

They had all season to get better at protecting the ball. I blame the coaches.

The rumor is sark laid into assistant for the players not taking a ball security drill seriously this week. 

Rewatching it's one of those plays where if you knew beforehand how the defender was going to cover you hit AD in stride at about the 2 and he walks in.  I have no problem with giving the guy who had already engaged hover mode earlier a shot to make a play, just didn't work out

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Levi said:

I mean damn it was right there IMG_2724.thumb.jpeg.c714526680e5b6f197f4fc334108ba97.jpeg

Ewers is throwing to a spot where he thinks Mitchell is going to be. You can see he’s released the ball before Mitchell is in the end zone and he’s getting pressured. He gave Mitchell a chance and their DB made a good play. 

Imo Ewers biggest issue is releasing the ball too early at times. He had 3 or 4 throws in this game when the receiver didn’t know the ball was thrown their way. His timing can be a bit off.

Also good scouting by Wash to have their dline get their hands up and bat passes. Ewers has a low arm angle.

• Hook 'Em 5

We should've won that game although we prob had no business winning that game. I didn't see the receiver routes in the last 3 plays but you have to think Sark prob didn't call his best plays. Wrong time to play subpar ball. Too many penalties and mistakes.

Anyway this is a fucking amazing season. Very few people would've predicted this season's outcome. We need to do this shit again next year but win the the whole damn thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Or you know, your receiver can elevate and catch the ball. Like he did on the last TD, and like Ewers probably expected him to.

No way, he should have held the ball longer and thrown a dart through the rushers because that's what all the qbs posting would have done. 

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

No way, he should have held the ball longer and thrown a dart through the rushers because that's what all the qbs posting would have done. 

Personally I would've thrown the TD play and taken the guesswork out of it. Guaranteed 7 points and the win. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, hookem48 said:

You can do a lot on your back.  But not that.

1 minute ago, sunset87 said:

Imo Ewers biggest issue is releasing the ball too early at times. He had 3 or 4 throws in this game when the receiver didn’t know the ball was thrown their way. His timing can be a bit off.

On at least a couple of those throws it felt like the receiver should have been ready. I clearly don't know what the play/route was, but they weren't out of the ordinary timing wise. 

4 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

this is what bothers me about people saying we've reset and things are looking up. not untrue, but our circumstances are changing as well. you don't treat this like its going to be a regular occurrence. might be a while before we have it line up so good. the championship was there to be had. thank God for the 12 playoff spots. we will need it where we are going.

• Hook 'Em 2

We need a different DB coach.  Missed at least 2 opportunities to pic off those bombs if the DBs get their heads turned to find the ball..At the very least could have knocked the passes down.  Haven't had good DB coaching since Akina.

This is the staff change I want to see long term. I know they aren’t shaking shit up after this year but the secondary looking completely lost has been a consistent theme while the front has improved. Replacing PK is simply not justifiable but Terry Joseph’s body of work as CB coach and passing game coordinator is dogshit after three years
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, naija said:

this is what bothers me about people saying we've reset and things are looking up. not untrue, but our circumstances are changing as well. you don't treat this like its going to be a regular occurrence. might be a while before we have it line up so good. the championship was there to be had. thank God for the 12 playoff spots. we will need it where we are going.

Exactly. Last time we lost a heartbreaker like this we wandered the desert for 15 years. Let’s hope this time is different. 

These chances don’t happen often.

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Rewatching it's one of those plays where if you knew beforehand how the defender was going to cover you hit AD in stride at about the 2 and he walks in.  I have no problem with giving the guy who had already engaged hover mode earlier a shot to make a play, just didn't work out

I get the thought process and giving it to your playmaker, but felt it was awfully predictable. Counterpoint - the OL didn't provide much time to think about it. I'd have preferred a different receiver if they were open, and I'd have to go rewatch to know if they were. But it's different from the comfort of my couch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Ewers is not the dark knight yet hopefully he gets there if he stays.

He won't.  I'm sure my opinion will rustle some feathers, but Ewers is exactly what we've seen.  Good enough to win a bunch of games, but not good enough to win the last game of the season.  Think Tony Romo, Dak Prescott, etc.

He's not a killer.  Never has been and never will be.  He's a slow processor who's gotten by on incredible arm talent (that's a compliment...his arm talent alone makes him pretty good). 

He also has a fundamental misunderstanding of that being "cool/calm under pressure" means.  He thinks it means to just sit on the sideline with his brain on cruise control.  What it really means is your mental intensity/focus is as high as ever, but your execution is relaxed.  It's not a lack of mental activity, it's controlled mental activity.  The difference between the top 10% and the top 1%, talent/ability being equal, is what I just described.  Ewers is not the latter.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm going to have to go back and read the pages in this thread from the time the onside kick failed to the end.  With all the flukey shit that was going our way after that I was in full "don't change nuthin' mode" and went silent.  I was hoping that I would come back to a raucous discussion after I got done screaming my head off while running around the block three times.  Oh well, nevertheless.

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

dana would be pretty damn interesting 

you really want someone in AA to bring in Holgorsen to be his close confidant? really?

Edited by naija
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

We will lose 3 or 4 games next season.   Georgia and Mich both losses if Harbaugh stays because we will be outcoached in both.  Another dumb loss for sure in the SEC because we are losing a lot on both sides of the ball.  We won't be a contender next year unfortunately 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 13

2 minutes ago, naija said:

I think we can make it back to the playoffs regularly with our talent and coaching, but we were one play from winning the title tonight (we would beat Michigan). Might not line up this good for us again for a while. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Exactly. Last time we lost a heartbreaker like this we wandered the desert for 15 years. Let’s hope this time is different. 

These chances don’t happen often.

That was because the head coach panicked and completely shifted his offensive strategy away from the spread to the power offense that he just watched curb stomp his team after recruiting the #1 spread QB in the nation who hadn’t taken a snap under center since junior high. 

No, I’m totally over that. It was years ago…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10-2/9-3 is competing for a 12-team playoff spot and a SEC championship berth if one of those Ls is Michigan.

I think we need to know what Ewers is doing before making any serious predictions about next season but if you wouldn’t take that you are dumb. That is the reasonable bar for success.

• immamac unpinned this topic