Washington vs Michigan, CFP Championship -- Jan. 8th ESPN 6:30p CT

LTtxfan

I went to the game with my Michigan grad girlfriend. I haven't watched the TV broadcast (and I won't), but a few observations from watching live

1. Michigan's defense was impressive. Even when they didn't get home, the kept Penix uncomfortable all night. Their edge rushers never got pushed upfield out of the play like ours did. They were pushing the Washington tackles right back into the pocket all night and clogging the throwing lanes. Even after the play was over, someone would shoulder-check Penix on the way back to their huddle. Just bullied him all night. I only remember Michigan's secondary missing one open field tackle all game (3rd down play on Washington's first FG drive) 

2. Goddamnit, why didn't we run the ball more against Washington? I guess the fumbles spooked Sark, but Michigan gutted them early and often with outside runs. Both of their first half touchdowns were so well blocked I might have been able to score. 

3. That was a fun game to watch for someone with no emotional attachment to either team. I cheered and high fived the girlfriend at the appropriate times, but it was nice to be able to watch the "All 22" game and not live or die on every snap. 

4. Michigan fans really showed up for this game, and they were loud as fuck. That was the first time I'd been in NRG with the roof closed and my ears are still ringing. I'd guess the stadium was 60% Michigan fans and maybe closer to 70%, as there were a lot of Maize shirts mixed in on the Washington side of the field. 

5. The off-field talent for both squads was pretty meh

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

4. Michigan fans really showed up for this game, and they were loud as fuck. That was the first time I'd been in NRG with the roof closed and my ears are still ringing. I'd guess the stadium was 60% Michigan fans and maybe closer to 70%, as there were a lot of Maize shirts mixed in on the Washington side of the field. 

26 years of championship blue balls will do that to you. I think a lot of people annoyed at what could have been last night had we beat Washington really are underselling just how good Michigan's defense is. I think they would've made Quinn just as if not more uncomfortable than Penix was. And Quinn is a lot less elusive than Penix. And yeah, we should've run the ball more but 2 turnovers not happening would've helped. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

26 years of championship blue balls will do that to you. I think a lot of people annoyed at what could have been last night had we beat Washington really are underselling just how good Michigan's defense is. I think they would've made Quinn just if not more uncomfortable than Penix was. And Quinn is a lot less elusive than Penix. And yeah, we should've run the ball more but 2 turnovers not happening would've helped. 

I don't think any of us, who think Texas would have beaten Michigan, underestimated how good the Michigan D is...in fact it was discussed pretty often.  We just think Texas' D matches up better against Michigan's O.  No way Texas gives up 300+ yards rushing, so they would have had to rely on JJ who, IMO, is an overrated passer.

Penix had a career night against Texas' secondary...deja vu...which, unfortunately, many of us saw that coming a mile away, which is why we wanted to play Michigan instead.  Washington was just a bad match-up.

But it's hard to be too upset as a Texas fan.  I don't think any of us really thought we'd be in the Playoffs this year, so it was all gravy.  The future is bright.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

26 years of championship blue balls will do that to you. I think a lot of people annoyed at what could have been last night had we beat Washington really are underselling just how good Michigan's defense is. I think they would've made Quinn just as if not more uncomfortable than Penix was. And Quinn is a lot less elusive than Penix. And yeah, we should've run the ball more but 2 turnovers not happening would've helped. 

Michigans D is damn good. But their O is less imposing. Our OL is a bit underappreciated at times. I think we would have had some success running the ball, which would have helped pass protection.

As to the 2 turnovers, those were in the 2nd half. We had two chances in the first half to take a lead. Those were the best opportunities to establish the run. Seems like we got 1 first down on those two possessions. A 16 yard run.

We had too many games in which the offense failed to keep pressure on the opponents defense. We either start strong for about 3 possessions or we start slow. More consistent here is a big key for next year.

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

26 years of championship blue balls will do that to you. I think a lot of people annoyed at what could have been last night had we beat Washington really are underselling just how good Michigan's defense is. I think they would've made Quinn just if not more uncomfortable than Penix was. And Quinn is a lot less elusive than Penix. And yeah, we should've run the ball more but 2 turnovers not happening would've helped. 

Agree overall, but Michigan wouldn't have played our offense the same way they played Washington's offense.  Texas was a more balanced team.  I would have liked our chances to get our scores in, and I think Michigan would have struggled to score enough against our defense, given the strengths of both units being what they were.

As has been said many times, Washington was absolutely our worst matchup of the 3 other CFP teams.  To think that we couldn't have beaten Michigan given their OT performance against the Alabama team that Texas manhandled in Tuscaloosa, I certainly wouldn't concede a loss there.  I also wouldn't blindly predict a Texas win, either.  It would have been a good game.

Anyway, like others have said, this season was better than I expected and will go down among my favorite Longhorn teams of all time.  And also like others have said, if anything this felt like a program that was a year ahead of schedule.  I feel good about next year, and the years after that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

When they miscommunicated on that first blown coverage, I was like, they got average penix instead of god mode penix.

That was so frustrating after last week. Michigan's defense deserves a ton of credit, but Washington's offense were willing accomplices. Michigan did a great job pressuring Penix, but he was off before they were consistently getting to him. It was still early when Penix missed Odunze on what should have been an easy throw. There were 5 or 6 times in the broadcast where a receiver was wide open and Penix just made the wrong read. The Washington receivers had a bad game too. Part of that was the defense, but they had some wide open drops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah the best rushing game in the playoffs history will definitely cover up the lack of a passing game. 
Holding that offense to 1 touchdown is way better than I expected, but Penix didn't seem that interested last night. The throws he was making vs UT vs the throws he was making last night looked like two different QBs. 

Would you say, Texas got their best game? Or that Texas was their championship game? lol

That was the offense I really expected to see when Texas played. All those bs dimes and catches weren’t going to continue.

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

I am a homer, but JJ is the opposite of douchey. He is super humble, all about giving success to everyone else and crediting his team. 

I'd hope so. I haven't watched Michigan this year. If last night is any indication, you could swap him out for any decent QB and the result would have been similar, if not better. They don't ask much of JJ and he didn't deliver much. Better QB play and the game would have been over at halftime.

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I went to the game with my Michigan grad girlfriend. I haven't watched the TV broadcast (and I won't), but a few observations from watching live

1. Michigan's defense was impressive. Even when they didn't get home, the kept Penix uncomfortable all night. Their edge rushers never got pushed upfield out of the play like ours did. They were pushing the Washington tackles right back into the pocket all night and clogging the throwing lanes. Even after the play was over, someone would shoulder-check Penix on the way back to their huddle. Just bullied him all night. I only remember Michigan's secondary missing one open field tackle all game (3rd down play on Washington's first FG drive) 

I think this would have been a huge factor had Michigan played Texas. Instead of having home field advantage, it would have been the opposite. Getting a team to constantly commit false starts on a neutral field is crazy.

The thing that I have been most impressed with Michigan this year, is how both their offense and defense disguise, shift, and confuse the hell out of the opposition. After watching them just up the gut ground and pound teams the past few years and then get to the playoffs and try to do the same thing and lose, it was a welcome breath to see them playing off their tendencies and getting guys wide open or forcing the other teams QB into making horrible decisions. 

Michigan's talent this year was incredible, recruiting stars be damned, but the coaches came up with incredible schemes and put those players in great positions. 

I hope that after watching these past two games against Bama and Washington that Michigan put to bed some of the "michigan is slow" narratives. Their DL is one of the top in CFB without having a true superstar, although Mason Graham is going to be one for sure. Can't believe that dude is a sophomore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

I think this would have been a huge factor had Michigan played Texas. Instead of having home field advantage, it would have been the opposite. Getting a team to constantly commit false starts on a neutral field is crazy.

The thing that I have been most impressed with Michigan this year, is how both their offense and defense disguise, shift, and confuse the hell out of the opposition. After watching them just up the gut ground and pound teams the past few years and then get to the playoffs and try to do the same thing and lose, it was a welcome breath to see them playing off their tendencies and getting guys wide open or forcing the other teams QB into making horrible decisions. 

Michigan's talent this year was incredible, recruiting stars be damned, but the coaches came up with incredible schemes and put those players in great positions. 

I hope that after watching these past two games against Bama and Washington that Michigan put to bed some of the "michigan is slow" narratives. Their DL is one of the top in CFB without having a true superstar, although Mason Graham is going to be one for sure. Can't believe that dude is a sophomore. 

Yall lose likely everyone except JJ, right?

19 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Would you say, Texas got their best game? Or that Texas was their championship game? lol

That was the offense I really expected to see when Texas played. All those bs dimes and catches weren’t going to continue.

The biggest difference I saw in the two games, that may have made a difference, was that although neither team was sacking Penix, Michigan had a lot more pressure on him that texas. There were guys in his face and bumping him as he was throwing all night last night. The throws I saw in the texas game there was pressure around him but not really in his face. 

I don't know that that is what made the difference, could just be he played his best game against UT and had an off night against Michigan, but maybe that half second less made him rush a bit, or throw to a worse read than he did against y'all.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Statistically, Quinn was actually pretty damn good under pressure (as far as passing goes). He does fold pretty quick if he really feels it. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yall lose likely everyone except JJ, right?

Michigan has done a good job keeping fringe guys from going pro and getting them back as seniors or 5th year seniors. Its how they have leveraged NIL vs paying recruits before they step foot on campus and IMO is the better way to go. 

They lose some dudes for sure, but they also bring a ton of guys back. 

They lose Wilson, Corum and Cornelius Johnson, So their #1/2 WR and #1 all american RB. If Edwards stays he should be a really good RB1 and Mullings looks solid if Edwards is dumb and jumps ship after 2 good runs last night.

They lose Barnhart (solid starter) and Zinter (all American) on the OL, but rotated a ton of guys in so OL should still be solid. 

On D they get back their top 2 players Mason Graham DL and Will Johnson CB.

They lose Junior Colston (LB) Mike Barrett (LB) and Mikey Sainristill (Nickle) who were absolutely the leaders and glue to this team. They will probably lose a DL or 2 that leave early, but rotated 8-9 guys all season long so they should be fine there.

Losing their locker room leaders, as cliche as it sounds, is going to be tougher to replace than the on field production. 

I think Texas has a good chance to end the undefeated streak pretty early next season, but it should be a hell of a game. 

You guys need to unleash Orji. That gave me shades of a different #10. Well, maybe better for us that you don't. And yeah, very excited for the game at the Big House. Hope it's not a stupid Big Noon kickoff. 

• Rage+1 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Just now, mdmost said:

You guys need to unleash Orji. That gave me shades of a different #10. Well, maybe better for us that you don't. And yeah, very excited for the game at the Big House. Hope it's not a stupid Big Noon kickoff. 

Narrator: It will be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Juicy said:

The biggest difference I saw in the two games, that may have made a difference, was that although neither team was sacking Penix, Michigan had a lot more pressure on him that texas. There were guys in his face and bumping him as he was throwing all night last night. The throws I saw in the texas game there was pressure around him but not really in his face. 

I don't know that that is what made the difference, could just be he played his best game against UT and had an off night against Michigan, but maybe that half second less made him rush a bit, or throw to a worse read than he did against y'all.

Its tough to apply that kinda pressure when the officiating is one sided.  The BS fouls saps aggression and momentum and is a underappreciated  effect of tainted officiating.   It was not the reason why the Huskies beat us necessarily, but it was a factor.  There is NO WAY our D would have been allowed to "bump" and "shoulder check" Penix without costly flags being thrown.   They wanted a all Big10 final and they got it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I would be fine with Orji next year if JJ goes pro. He is a monster and has so much zip on his ball. His biggest problem this year was he didnt get many chances, so he literally called his own number every time. 

And 99% its a big noon kickoff. It was part of the agreement to get texas out of the b12 a year earlier was fox getting that game. 

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think the biggest difference was the secondary.   Stickier, harder hitting, more assignment sound.  Ours was slow and soft.   Getting Makuba will help.   We need more speed.

It starts with the two buffoons on the headsets. Penix spent a month in the film room licking his chops, knowing our two overpaid goobers wouldn't do a damn thing to confuse or rattle him with coverages.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

They lose Junior Colston (LB) Mike Barrett (LB) and Mikey Sainristill (Nickle) who were absolutely the leaders and glue to this team.

I was impressed with Sainristil.   Little dude reminded me of Quandre Diggs   Glad he will be gone.

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

image.thumb.png.1d0fc7237a9ae97f6bdd7ab80b7584b3.png

image.png.59b2c3230b54d3edb6c1d038903b4683.png

as bad as those were...i think the single most important one was the phantom holding call ON washington's right tackle in which he absolutely did not hold...the michigan de just fell down.  and it happened on the one play penix and number 1 had that was reminiscent of last week's game in which penix dropped one in the bucket over 1's shoulder for a 35 yard pass.  45 yard swing at a critical moment in the game.  game over.

that said, i am still super pissed about the non-call unsportsmanlike late hit on ryan watts that washington got away with in a critical moment against us so fuck em.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Texasrocks said:

That was so frustrating after last week. Michigan's defense deserves a ton of credit, but Washington's offense were willing accomplices. Michigan did a great job pressuring Penix, but he was off before they were consistently getting to him. It was still early when Penix missed Odunze on what should have been an easy throw. There were 5 or 6 times in the broadcast where a receiver was wide open and Penix just made the wrong read. The Washington receivers had a bad game too. Part of that was the defense, but they had some wide open drops.

When he missed Odunze  he felt pressure coming from his left and changed his arm angle and didn't need to.  

It helps when the receivers occasionally drop a pass.  If they got a finger on the ball against Texas, it was getting caught.  Washington just had one of those games against us, like we had last year against OU where everything goes your way.

Edited by kevwun

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

as bad as those were...i think the single most important one was the phantom holding call ON washington's right tackle in which he absolutely did not hold...the michigan de just fell down.  and it happened on the one play penix and number 1 had that was reminiscent of last week's game in which penix dropped one in the bucket over 1's shoulder for a 35 yard pass.  45 yard swing at a critical moment in the game.  game over.

that said, i am still super pissed about the non-call unsportsmanlike late hit on ryan watts that washington got away with in a critical moment against us so fuck em.

That hold on #4 not called was on the pass play to the tight end that basically put the game away and happened right after the hold called when Michigan's DE fell down. Freaking huge call/ non call.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

You mean the one where he had the front of the jersey and clubbed the DE in the back to avoid Penix taking a sack? I believe that was the one Herbie was yammering about and the former official told Herbie he is an idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You mean the one where he had the front of the jersey and clubbed the DE in the back to avoid Penix taking a sack? I believe that was the one Herbie was yammering about and the former official told Herbie he is an idiot. 

he did not have the front of his jersey.  his arm slid right across the front.  the official was full of shit and stammered through that because he knew it was a horrible call.

29 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I was impressed with Sainristil.   Little dude reminded me of Quandre Diggs   Glad he will be gone.

for a dude that was a WR (and I think lead the team in receptions one year) to make the switch and just become an anchor of the defense it is an amazing feat. He is going to be a steal in the mid rounds for some team. 

7 minutes ago, sidis said:

he did not have the front of his jersey.  his arm slid right across the front.  the official was full of shit and stammered through that because he knew it was a horrible call.

Yes, he beat him inside and then just fell down on his own. Nothing to do with the reach with the left arm arm and the push in the back from the right. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

2. Goddamnit, why didn't we run the ball more against Washington? I guess the fumbles spooked Sark, but Michigan gutted them early and often with outside runs. Both of their first half touchdowns were so well blocked I might have been able to score. 

After the fumbles, we didn't have time to run anymore.  After the first fumble, we started out running (runs of 15 and 5 yards). Unfortunately, we had a false start and two incompletes later were punting. After the second fumble, we immediately scored a TD. Unfortunately, right after that the D allowed Washington to take 5 minute off the clock and a kick a field goal. The fumbles didn't scare us from running. They, along with giving up points, outright prevented it. 

11 minutes ago, caliHORNia said:

Favorite part about UM's secondary...when they made plays they didn't spend all of their energy celebrating themselves every time.

This. Nobody likes a show-off. Act like you've done this before and you know you can do it again. Let the folks in the stands high-five and dance around. Celebrate when the game's in the books.

That hold on #4 not called was on the pass play to the tight end that basically put the game away and happened right after the hold called when Michigan's DE fell down. Freaking huge call/ non call.

Yea, this one was huge. It puts UM at 1st and 20, Fifty yards of field position instead. It changed the momentum of their offense.

The problem with the UW hold was that they anticipated what happened. The left hand probably did grab but he let go quickly. That should never be called particularly with what they don’t call.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, immamac said:

My family was telling me to shut up when I’d chirp “Washington makes that throw/catch against Texas” but it was true. They played like hot ass against Michigan and played like NFL superstars against Texas. Fml. 

No shit. Had a thermal scope with lidar against Texas. Had a toilet roll and some duck tape against Michigan.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Yes, he beat him inside and then just fell down on his own. Nothing to do with the reach with the left arm arm and the push in the back from the right. 

A push in the back within 5 yards of LOS isn’t a penalty. Crew from last week shoulda told you.

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

A push in the back within 5 yards of LOS isn’t a penalty. Crew from last week shoulda told you.

if you are talkign about the Watts play that was below the waste, not in the back.