NBA officials have got to be stopped

I am so damn sick of every time someone lightly brushes someone elses face with their finger, now we have to go and review it and see if it's a flagrant. This is happening in college and the pro's.

Here's a crazy thought....if a foul is flagrant, it's obvious in real time. Either call it or don't. We don't need to fucking review every single time contact is made above the neck. Nobody asked for this.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:03 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Totally agree. If they called the playoffs like regular season, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Most of the games are played around the 105-110 point mark, which to me is the right balance between good offense and good defense.

This is remarkable, to me:

image.thumb.png.c74b75a7b24991af1fc1a833390cdd82.png

the 2007/8 peak was completely caused by Dwyane Wade

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I am so damn sick of every time someone lightly brushes someone elses face with their finger, now we have to go and review it and see if it's a flagrant. This is happening in college and the pro's.

Here's a crazy thought....if a foul is flagrant, it's obvious in real time. Either call it or don't. We don't need to fucking review every single time contact is made above the neck. Nobody asked for this.

you don't CTE do you?

On 1/31/2024 at 10:02 PM, NorthLoop said:

I remember when the all star game was laughed at because they played zero defense. That's basically every NBA game now. I saw the writing on the wall in the 06 finals. Have barely watched any NBA since. 

That 06 finals game suuucked. 

On 2/13/2024 at 1:17 PM, Pam Cummings said:

10000000% 

adjective. shockingly noticeable or evident; obvious; glaring

If you have to go to the video to tell, it is definitively not a flagrant act.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 11:50 AM, shadow_operative said:

Maybe he pulled a Joey Crawford and asked him "Do you want to fight?" and when he didn't laugh or say anything - TECH!

If he laughed like Duncan did, he would have been tossed.

Then again, the NBA actually suspended Crawford. I doubt they're suspending Brothers. Probably award him with the NBA Finals.

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I don’t think they are in the bag for anyone. Conspiracy theories on this are nonsense. Nothing more and nothing less. The human mind, when the truth does not satisfy what it is looking for in the way of an answer, turns to whatever sounds the best.

Officials can be bad at their job and that’s fine. The older I get the harder it is to imagine trying to call a game with the skill and athleticism on display and how fast the game is played. I do not necessarily care much for officials, but it is a tough job. Thinking there is a vast conspiracy to benefit one team that is going nowhere this year is beyond laughable. 

It doesn't have to be a "vast conspiracy." Just a simple matter of bias/star treatment.

The human mind, when the truth does not satisfy what it is looking for in the way of an answer, turns to whatever sounds the best.

This is ironic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It doesn't have to be a "vast conspiracy." Just a simple matter of bias/star treatment.

This is ironic.

There is no irony here. Just a whole lot of exceptionally laughable conspiratorial claims. It’s fun to read more than anything because of the sheer silliness in the belief that the refs are in the bag for one team, a team barely holding onto a play-in spot that won’t do a thing of note for the rest of this season.

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I don’t think they are in the bag for anyone. Conspiracy theories on this are nonsense. Nothing more and nothing less. The human mind, when the truth does not satisfy what it is looking for in the way of an answer, turns to whatever sounds the best.

Officials can be bad at their job and that’s fine. The older I get the harder it is to imagine trying to call a game with the skill and athleticism on display and how fast the game is played. I do not necessarily care much for officials, but it is a tough job. Thinking there is a vast conspiracy to benefit one team that is going nowhere this year is beyond laughable. 

And empirical evidence clearly means nothing to you.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

And empirical evidence clearly means nothing to you.

I do not think you grasp a basic understanding of why there is a difference of that size. Actually no you just don’t understand it.  Then again you believe in conspiracies. You share that in common with another section of the board. 

11 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I do not think you grasp a basic understanding of why there is a difference of that size. Actually no you just don’t understand it.  Then again you believe in conspiracies. You share that in common with another section of the board. 

Yep, that's it.  Nobody but Lakers fans can truly comprehend it.  But hey, at least you guys won the in season tournament! Hang the banner!  Maybe we can get a Lakers/Nuggets matchup in round 1 and take the win streak to 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of basketball can do about 15 minutes of research and find out why the Lakers shoot so many free throws compared to opponents. Again you continue to bang a conspiracy drum over a team IN NINTH PLACE. That is just all kinds of humorous. The other people that believe in them on this board in other places come across as being just as crazy as you are right now. Those people do not provide any humor though so you have that on them.

11 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of basketball can do about 15 minutes of research and find out why the Lakers shoot so many free throws compared to opponents. Again you continue to bang a conspiracy drum over a team IN NINTH PLACE. That is just all kinds of humorous. The other people that believe in them on this board in other places come across as being just as crazy as you are right now. Those people do not provide any humor though so you have that on them.

To be fair, LAL is currently 4th in FGA inside 5 feet. 5th inside of 8ft. So, sure, they drive to the basket more than most, but not by nearly as much as their FTA indicate. I don't think it's a conspiracy, but it's pretty blatant star power favoritism (which isn't unique to the Lakers).

• Hook 'Em 1