Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

• 2 weeks later...

for me the hallmark of RT’s teams is being atrocious at defending the three. not a simple drop off from beard, not below average, not simply bad- his teams are terrible at defending the three point line. outside of our ncaa tourney run last year where our veteran team who’d been previously coached by chris beard really shined in this area, we have been downright awful. teams get wide open looks all game every game. we essentially have no three point defense, and the numbers show it:

IMG_8757.jpeg

IMG_8758.jpeg

230th in the country and 14th in the league at defending the three. it’s just hard to watch, and having been an assistant under two highly successful coaches who’ve made their name as defensive gurus, RT’s lackluster defenses and complete inability to defend the perimeter is just a damning indictment on his ability to be a head coach at this level.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

opponents grabbing 32% of their missed shots has been very hard to watch as well.

Remove the two UofH games and that probably drops into the low 20s…they’ve destroyed us on the offensive glass

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do we hate or love RT this week? I need to figure out what thread to post in.

I don't think anyone here hates RT.  

He's exactly what most of us knew he'd be based on his coaching history...mediocre.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

too funny.  the need to try to line up aggy for us is hilarious.  I swear they start college tournament bracket talks with "how can we get Texas to have to play aggy?" and go from there.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

too funny.  the need to try to line up aggy for us is hilarious.  I swear they start college tournament bracket talks with "how can we get Texas to have to play aggy?" and go from there.

Last fucking NCAA postseasons we have to deal with this until next year. Then it will be Tech/TCU/Baylor 

• Hook 'Em 1

If this team gets into the tourney, there is a real possibility that they can make a run to the S16.  If that happens he gets 2 years for sure.

On the other hand, if we miss the tourney this year and miss it again next year, he is probably gone.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If this team gets into the tourney, there is a real possibility that they can make a run to the S16.  If that happens he gets 2 years for sure.

On the other hand, if we miss the tourney this year and miss it again next year, he is probably gone.

Miss this year + bubble team next year = gone

It’s a possibility that anyone in the tournament can make the S16. That’s just the nature of the tournament. 

The probability, though, is that we lose in the 1st round because that is what our season is telling us this team is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes.  Though didn’t beard give Shaka a lot of time?

huh? you mean CDC?

I think Shaka was probably gone after 2020 if Covid hadn't happened but Covid gave him an extra year.  plus CDC was dealing with Football/Herman and he probably didn't want to do both at once.   Football had to get right.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

It’s a possibility that anyone in the tournament can make the S16. That’s just the nature of the tournament. 

The probability, though, is that we lose in the 1st round because that is what our season is telling us this team is. 

Right now we are 33 in NET, 29 in Kenpom, 27 in Massey.  We will end up in the top half of tournament teams according to computer rankings, regardless of what our seed is if we get in. 

Our losses are to: #1, #3, #3, #8, #9 #17, #23, #76, #112.  And we have wins over: #10, #22, #29, #50.  Our first game in the tournament would be against a team in the 20-50 range on a neutral court.   So we are 3-1 against teams of the caliber we will get in round 1.  Our 2nd game would likely be against a team in the 1-10 range.  We are 1-5 on that front.  Not great, but you never know.

I could see us getting an 11 seed and having to face a ~20-25 ranked team in round 1.  That is winnable for this group.  We win and now we are playing the winner of the 3-14 game.  Worst case we face a team in the 10-12 range.  Best case, there is an upset and we are facing a team ranked more like 45-50.

Bottom line, if we get in the tourney anything can happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Aside from WVU and UCF, what about this season tells you a 1st round exit is likely? Taking Houston to OT? Beating Baylor? Almost beating top 10 Iowa State?

We have two bad losses. That sucks. But to pretend like this team doesn't have potential is insanity.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is starting to go viral now....he's soft as Charmin

The whole team is soft dude.  You can only coach so much.  Every single one of these players (except for Weaver) have no intensity & let themselves get pushed around all over the court.

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

which falls on the coach. 

Eh, I'm not sure it ALL falls on the coach.  I mean, he might be the common denominator, but it's also possible he has a bunch of softies.  Tyrese is a mess, Dillon is a mess, Max is a random number generator, the bench save Brock is a mess.  I would never say Chendall or Dylan are "soft".

I don't know, I can't figure it out.  All I know is that RT is pretty clearly not the long-term solution.

47 minutes ago, freyguy said:

The whole team is soft dude.  You can only coach so much.  Every single one of these players (except for Weaver) have no intensity & let themselves get pushed around all over the court.

Had we recruited Shead we'd be calling him soft too. Instead he's the best and toughest player in the conference

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, I'm not sure it ALL falls on the coach.  I mean, he might be the common denominator, but it's also possible he has a bunch of softies.  Tyrese is a mess, Dillon is a mess, Max is a random number generator, the bench save Brock is a mess.  I would never say Chendall or Dylan are "soft".

I don't know, I can't figure it out.  All I know is that RT is pretty clearly not the long-term solution.

I agree. In fact, I don’t even think he’s the short term solution. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't take any man seriously that chooses to wear those glasses. Maybe he lost a bet, I don't know. 

I had a buddy with a dyke grandma that wore glasses like that. She was a hoot, but no way I want her coaching our hoops team. I feel the same way about RT. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8