Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Was Beard's roster elite in year one? Who talked him into recruiting Rice, because it wasn't Beard that identified him.

He had to build an entire roster from scratch due to shitty recruiting his boss did. The only two HS kids on this roster Beard brought in and stayed more than 1 season were Anamewke and Mitchell, and everyone considered Mitchell a one and done when he signed with Texas. You aren't building continued success having to replace your roster every year.

I am sorry you disagreed with a portal class that was in top 10 and he also brought in two HS kids after the Holland and Johnson bailed (hint, they would have also bailed on Beard). Was the roster perfect, nope. Likely returning players include Weaver and Shedrick. That is already a better start than what was waiting after the Miami loss. He's bringing in the #9 freshmen class and has 3-4 other guys returning. It's much easier to target portal needs when they are specific as opposed to an entire rotation and sometimes the portal players don't work out, Look at KU with Morris and Dickinson, both were complete busts for different reasons.

Timmy Allen and his brother were more responsible than anyone. The roster in year one wasn’t elite but it was a pretty good foundation towards the season we had last year. Everyone who came back from that first year was a big part of what happened last year. 

I get that Beard pissed off a lot of people. But the idea that he was not an elite coach when we hired his is just dumb. If you had an opportunity to have attended a practice you would understand why his teams generally play very good defense and why it’s dropped off.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, shadow_operative said:

also, our feelings about beard are not based solely on his short time at Texas. his entire career as a HC he has been on a directly upward trajectory, the likes of which reflect those of other elite coaches. every single stop he’s made he’s been elite,

Well, except maybe his current stop.

and he’s done so very very quickly. everything about his resume points to him being a wildly successful coach at Texas for 2-3 decades. if you really don’t get why so many of us are bummed out about losing out on him after just 18 months on the job then i have no idea what to tell you.

I want you to consider these questions with at least some level of seriousness:  do you think the vast majority of Texas fans aren't bummed out that Chris Beard was a fucking idiot who couldn't hold it together and keep an absolute prime job?  do you think that his behavior should in any way reflect on Rodney Terry and the shitshow he inherited?  do you think Rodney Terry should be given a chance to show whether or not he can do a sufficient job at Texas to keep his current title?  (I certainly think he has so far, but I'm loathe to say that, because the dipshit brigade is likely to label me as part of the "pro-RT" crowd, when in point of fact I'm just content to wait and see and enjoy wins)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Was Beard's roster elite in year one? Who talked him into recruiting Rice, because it wasn't Beard that identified him.

He had to build an entire roster from scratch due to shitty recruiting his boss did. The only two HS kids on this roster Beard brought in and stayed more than 1 season were Anamewke and Mitchell, and everyone considered Mitchell a one and done when he signed with Texas. You aren't building continued success having to replace your roster every year, and yet Terry brought in a roster that by every metric was top 20-25.

I am sorry you disagreed with a portal class that was in top 10 and he also brought in two HS kids after the Holland and Johnson bailed (hint, they would have also bailed on Beard). Was the roster perfect, nope. Likely returning players include Weaver and Shedrick. That is already a better start than what was waiting after the Miami loss. He's bringing in the #9 freshmen class and has 3-4 other guys returning. It's much easier to target portal needs when they are specific as opposed to an entire rotation and sometimes the portal players don't work out, Look at KU with Morris and Dickinson, both were complete busts for different reasons.

You don't know how it works around here. 

Beard would have definitely won a national title with last year's roster he built (even though that's 100% speculative) and he gets absolutely no criticism for the roster he built in year 1. 

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He built the roster in year 1 and won 1 NCAA tournament game and 0 Big 12 tournament games. 

It's amusing people are willing to give Beard the benefit of the doubt that he would have won a Big 12 tournament title/made an Elite 8 in year 2 while not questioning the roster he built in his first year. 

Not just that, but glossing over Terry coaching Texas to the EE, while in a similar position KU got upset in the 2nd round as a #1 seed. I mean coaching veteran rosters is easy according to most.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I get that Beard pissed off a lot of people. But the idea that he was not an elite coach when we hired his is just dumb. If you had an opportunity to have attended a practice you would understand why his teams generally play very good defense and why it’s dropped off.  

Beard is a great coach. 

The point is it's just amusing to see people argue "Beard is a top 5 coach and RT is not our standard" when reality is RT will likely accomplish more than Beard in his first 2 years. I'm not saying RT is better than Beard but this extreme is hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You don't know how it works around here. 

Beard would have definitely won a national title with last year's roster he built (even though that's 100% speculative) and he gets absolutely no criticism for the roster he built in year 1. 

It's worse than that, Beard built a two-year roster with plenty of fucking holes that would have been rebuilt from scratchno matter who was the head coach. It's likely he'd be no better than Terry is this season, because Beard's teams routinely had double digit losses with middling Big 12 conference records.

22 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I’d argue that it was more risky to do what they did given the dollars involved. 
Did you go to any games this year and see the smattering of empty seats, the tech fans who got enough seats to be fairly loud and the decline in student interest?  They ended up lifting the Big Ticket requirement for students just to get the Coral full at the end of the season. 
I would also say that the coaching searches that brought you Sark, Vic the softball guy worked out pretty good. I’d include Beard because on paper it was a great hire at least up until drunk Randy upset the wives of some important people at MSG after which she was banned from UT events. 

Beard was not a 'search' just like Tom Herman wasn't a search...

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He built the roster in year 1 that won 1 NCAA tournament game and 0 Big 12 tournament games. 

It's amusing people are willing to give Beard the benefit of the doubt that he would have won a Big 12 tournament title/made an Elite 8 in year 2 while not questioning the roster he built in his first year. 

Saint Chris!

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Beard is a great coach. 

The point is it's just amusing to see people argue "Beard is a top 5 coach and RT is not our standard" when reality is RT will likely accomplish more than Beard in his first 2 years. I'm not saying RT is better than Beard but this extreme is hilarious. 

That can't get over the fact that the past is the past, and sometimes coaches get better when their situations get better as well. Beard was likely to become an all time great here, but his personal problems made sure to burn that bridge down to the rivets. Just because Terry couldn't have continued success at Fresno or UTEP doesn't mean he's going to fall flat on his face here.

All I know, the data points Terry is stacking up coaching the players at Texas are trending in a good direction, and he's more than capable of bringing in talent.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Not just that, but glossing over Terry coaching Texas to the EE, while in a similar position KU got upset in the 2nd round as a #1 seed. I mean coaching veteran rosters is easy according to most.

we won the big xii toruney and went to the elite 8 because of a stretch of great three point defense, an area which is factually RT’s most glaring weakness. the stark and immediate drop-off in defense as soon as RT took over last year was eye opening, and his teams’ record at defending the three point line outside of that three week period last march shows that he is a terrible coach when it comes to three point defense.

so what’s more likely: that rodney terry’s teams were really really bad at defending the three, and then he suddenly became awesome at coaching defending the three last march, only for him to forget it all and field a team this season that is the worst perimeter defense in the league

OR

that the team full of chris beard-recruited and coached seniors who had all returned for one last year as true national title contenders stepped their game up during postseason play, and that they are responsible for those wins, and which is why this year RT and his team are factually terrible at defending the three again. gee, that’s a real tough call.

this is why the word “disingenuous” gets used. y’all will trash good coaches like beard and barnes and then invent reasons to praise RT, all based on emotion and ignoring facts. it’s dumb.

• Fuck You 1

i get being upset about beard fucking us over and dreaming about what could have been but at some point you've got to move on.  he's not the coach and its 100% his fault.  comparing whoever is the coach to him is pointless because he fucked himself out of the gig.  

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this is why the word “disingenuous” gets used. y’all will trash good coaches like beard and barnes and then invent reasons to praise RT, all based on emotion and ignoring facts. it’s dumb.

Christ on a cracker, I'll trash Beard all I want because he fucked up the golden ticket, and I'll criticize Barnes all I want because he couldn't be bothered not to run his great teams into the ground mid-conference.  These aren't reasons to praise RT.  I'm not ignoring facts, and neither is anybody else (besides you).

Chris Beard is quite likely the best coach Texas could have ever hoped for.  Rick Barnes wasn't too far behind.  Rodney Terry is likely down closer to Tom Penders and Shaka Smart, but above Bob Weltlich.  Why do you think people aren't aware of this?

12 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i get being upset about beard fucking us over and dreaming about what could have been but at some point you've got to move on.  he's not the coach and its 100% his fault.  comparing whoever is the coach to him is pointless because he fucked himself out of the gig.  

the only comparisons that i’ve seen made have come up when people have excused RT’s 10 years of mediocrity at fresno state and utep. they’ve claimed that, because the guys before/after RT didn’t win big at those schools, that it doesn’t mean anything that he didn’t win there either. in response to that, it’s been pointed out that truly good coaches win wherever they are, whether that’s UALR, UNT, Buffalo, SFA, Wagner, wherever.

i don’t see many people randomly inserting beard into the discussion, and it’s reasonable/predictable that he will be brought up from time to time considering how closely linked he is with all of this. as time goes on his time here be less and less relevant and folks will stop bringing his name up. 

Edited by shadow_operative

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

as time goes on his time here be less and less relevant and folks will stop bringing his name up. 

Fat chance. Barnes got canned when I was in college. I’m now 31 and he’s still brought up on here daily.

Edited by Hank_Hill

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i can’t name a single poster here who has been going out of their way to shit on him, to call for his firing, to root against him, nothing.

This would be a better point if it wasn't being made in a thread titled "Fire Rodney Terry".  🤪

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

This thread has been going in circles forever. The arguing really comes down to the fact that one group believes Terry should be getting more criticism and one group believes he shouldn’t be getting that much criticism. 

That’s because there have been quite a few data points supporting both sides of the argument. For example, during the tourney last year he let the team play up tempo and leverage their athletic ability. That’s something Beard may not have done as well. Conversely, the defense under Terry has been generally bad this year. But, he’s still beaten a few teams that are slightly better than Texas. And lost to several that were inferior. 

For me, inconsistency usually means there are too many coaching flaws to be successful, but it doesn’t mean that we don’t root for Terry or want him to be successful. It’s just that from my perspective right now the odds don’t look great. I hope he beats the odds.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the only comparisons that i’ve seen made have come up when people have excused RT’s 10 years of mediocrity at fresno state and utep. they’ve claimed that, because the guys before/after RT didn’t win big at those schools, that it doesn’t mean anything that he didn’t win there either. in response to that, it’s been pointed out that truly good coaches win wherever they are, whether that’s UALR, UNT, Buffalo, SFA, Wagner, wherever.

You seem to have a serious problem sussing out shades of gray.  For instance, I posted about RT's record at Fresno State, in which he not only won more than he lost, but he won considerably more than the previous coach.  These are facts.  He also went out on a high note -- 66-34 (0.667) in his last three years.  That's the sign of a coach who might know what he's doing.  But you take the simple assertion of provable fact as either a personal insult or at the very least some sort of gold-medal blue-ribbon claim that Rodney Terry is the Greatest Coach Ever.  No.  It's all data.  That's it.  It should be considered, but you try to hand-wave it away with your emotional middle school girl bullshit.  Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm not writing RT off just quite yet. Who knows what could happen in the tourney. If Texas reached the Sweet 16 would that shut people up? Probably not by the looks of things here. hell, that'd qualify as the 2nd best season in the last 15 years of futility.

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

Could not recruit, but could coach.

Hire assistant coaches that can recruit 

hell, if we’re playing make believe … hire nolan richardson from tulsa, like they shoild have the first time around 

20 minutes ago, Chad said:

I'm not writing RT off just quite yet. Who knows what could happen in the tourney. If Texas reached the Sweet 16 would that shut people up? Probably not by the looks of things here. hell, that'd qualify as the 2nd best season in the last 15 years of futility.

He wouldn’t get credit for that because he only built 50% (?) of the roster. Or something.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Chad said:

There was a poll on that  It wasn't a majority by any means but quite a few votes from people who wouldn't have hired RT even if he won it all.  I think we won the conference tourney as well.  Pretty rare I believe.

I think RT is a plus recruiter.  

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A sweet sixteen would be a helluva accomplishment. 

Sure fucking would be. I hope RT gets it done and calms the skepticism - my own included.

We'll find out how good he is next season. He's looking at an almost complete rebuild and will be relying on two freshman (Johnson and Scott) for a lot of production. 

Until then, I'll enjoy my hope for the postseason.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A sweet sixteen would be a helluva accomplishment. 

yeah, maybe for most coaches, but we all know that the only way RT’s sorry ass could get to the S16 with his own team is by beating a 10 seed followed by a 15 seed. otherwise that shit is never happening.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7bkmb9yaqtgteuq8269

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I graduated from UT. I root for our athletics programs and the coaches that lead the teams (unless they are pieces of shit). I also root for our school to do well academically and our professors to win awards. 

Unless Terry starts beating his wife or driving drunk around town I’ll continue to root for him and the basketball program. 

So Augie Garrido wasn't good enough for you? 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

nope. not even close. he accomplished so much more than “1 NCAA tournament win and 0 Big 12 tournament wins”. for one, i’ve been to as many/more UT home games as anyone here, and chris beard transformed our basketball atmosphere and culture overnight. what he did with our students, and blue hairs, and season ticket holders, and his work with the athletic department and on campus to create a world class environment was remarkable. there isn’t another coach in america who could have done what he did in that department. he is one of a kind when it comes to buy-in and excitement.

as for what eles he did, im not even going to keep going very much further about what he did with the bombed out and depleted roster he inherited which ended up being no.1 in kenpom 18 months later, because at this point you either understand why chris beard was special or you don’t. it goes so far beyond the product on the court. he is absolutely a special coach, and everything that he did at UALR, TTU, and Texas proves that. 

Dude, Chris Beard didn't persuade the UT Regents to build a med school where the Erwin Center was. The "world-class environment" could have existed under Lemons or Penders if they weren't relegated to working in The Worst Arena Ever (Not) Designed For Basketball.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also, our feelings about beard are not based solely on his short time at Texas. his entire career as a HC he has been on a directly upward trajectory, the likes of which reflect those of other elite coaches. every single stop he’s made he’s been elite, and he’s done so very very quickly. 

Yet somehow, after not being astute enough to resign the minute he was released from jail, he's now 20-11 and 7-11 in a league weaker than the Big XII. 

So I guess "very very quickly" is at least one "very" too many. 

Also, not sure back-to-back 18-win seasons after an NCAA Championship Game appearance is a directly upward trajectory. 

So I guess "directly" is another adverb that needs to be edited out of your post. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i don’t see many people randomly inserting beard into the discussion, and it’s reasonable/predictable that he will be brought up from time to time considering how closely linked he is with all of this. as time goes on his time here be less and less relevant and folks will stop bringing his name up. 

You keep saying that, even though it's total bullshit. 

***Brad Underwood cheated at SFA. All three of his NCAA appearances were vacated because they used academically ineligible athletes. 

***Grant McCasland made the NCAA Tournament once in six years at UNT, never making it to the Sweet 16.

***Nate Oats was in Buffalo for four years and made the NCAA Tournament twice, never making it to the Sweet 16. 

***You can't compare Chris Beard's success at Texas Tech (a Power 5 conference school) to Terry's time at Fresno and UTEP. He had one year at a mid-level D I school (UALR) but didn't make the Sweet 16 there.

***Bill Self was 55-54 in four years at Oral Roberts and 42-22 in his first two years at Tulsa (a one-and-done in the NCAAs) before making his Elite Eight appearance in his final season. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, maybe for most coaches, but we all know that the only way RT’s sorry ass could get to the S16 with his own team is by beating a 10 seed followed by a 15 seed. otherwise that shit is never happening.

There's really something wrong with you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

44 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

So Augie Garrido wasn't good enough for you? 

Not sure if you’ve noticed but the world’s changed in the last 20 years big guy. If you can’t take an Uber when UT is paying you $2-10mn a year, you deserve to get fired. 

Self is only 6 years older than Terry. He coached at Fresno for 8 years, and he was unable to achieve much success in the recruiting hotbed of Southern California. I don’t understand the upside argument. 

That said, sure things don’t exist in major college athletics. CDC can guess, he can project, he can do his homework, but no hire is a guarantee. I do think Terry has been just successful enough to be a bridge hire for the right coach at the right time. 

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Not sure if you’ve noticed but the world’s changed in the last 20 years big guy. If you can’t take an Uber when UT is paying you $2-10mn a year, you deserve to get fired. 

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

6 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

We knew in 2000-whatever it was that driving after drinking was an irresponsible and potentially deadly choice.

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Self is only 6 years older than Terry. He coached at Fresno for 8 years, and he was unable to achieve much success in the recruiting hotbed of Southern California. I don’t understand the upside argument. 

That said, sure things don’t exist in major college athletics. CDC can guess, he can project, he can do his homework, but no hire is a guarantee. I do think Terry has been just successful enough to be a bridge hire for the right coach at the right time. 

Ever been to Fresno?  The California kids will go to any PAC school before attending Fresno.  

37 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Ever been to Fresno?  The California kids will go to any PAC school before attending Fresno.  

You and your absolutes. Just like black kids will take any scholarship offer 🙄

56 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You and your absolutes. Just like black kids will take any scholarship offer 🙄

Yes.  A kid like Jaxson dart will go to ole miss but an African American kid from de Soto is too good to live in Mississippi 

30 minutes ago, Underdog said:

No but I kinda dig the music… 

San Angelo’s music scene is better than Fresnos

46 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sure. But you could say the same thing about Coug High, and Sampson has taken them to multiple Final Fours. 

Historically cougar high has had quite a bit of success.  Houston is also a world renowned city and the fourth largest in the country.  Probably produces 20+ D1 kids a year?

Fresno is in the hottest and poorest part of California.  It’s not really alluring. Even Tark couldn’t win there. 

that being said, for the most part ucla and usc have sucked in basketball for the last 25ish years?

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yes.  A kid like Jaxson dart will go to ole miss but an African American kid from de Soto is too good to live in Mississippi 

San Angelo’s music scene is better than Fresnos

Historically cougar high has had quite a bit of success.  Houston is also a world renowned city and the fourth largest in the country.  Probably produces 20+ D1 kids a year?

Fresno is in the hottest and poorest part of California.  It’s not really alluring. Even Tark couldn’t win there. 

that being said, for the most part ucla and usc have sucked in basketball for the last 25ish years?

Jaxson dart isn’t a Black kid from Souf Oak Cliff or DeSoto. He’s a rich white kid from Utah, which has nothin to do with Black kids from Souf Dallas or Northeast Houston. You are really bad at logic. 

As someone who has worked in higher ed in California, yes, I’ve seen plenty of times students transfer to Fresno State over Pac12 schools. Once again, you’re incorrect here as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Jaxson dart isn’t a Black kid from Souf Oak Cliff or DeSoto. He’s a rich white kid from Utah, which has nothin to do with Black kids from Souf Dallas or Northeast Houston. You are really bad at logic. 

As someone who has worked in higher ed in California, yes, I’ve seen plenty of times students transfer to Fresno State over Pac12 schools. Once again, you’re incorrect here as well.

Students or basketball players??  Lmao.  So your south oak cliff students are too good for ole miss?   What are their alternatives?  Be explicit.  Are you saying athletes at urban high schools in Texas are not gonna attend a school like Ole miss?

funny enough the current ole miss roster has three guys from….wait for it….wait for it…..Texas!

I assume you’re out of California and are teaching in Texas now?   

who was the last successful basketball coach at Fresno?

Edited by closetohumping

39 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Students or basketball players??  Lmao.  So your south oak cliff students are too good for ole miss?   What are their alternatives?  Be explicit.  Are you saying athletes at urban high schools in Texas are not gonna attend a school like Ole miss?

funny enough the current ole miss roster has three guys from….wait for it….wait for it…..Texas!

I assume you’re out of California and are teaching in Texas now?   

who was the last successful basketball coach at Fresno?

Please Stop Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i don’t even have a clue what you’re trying to say here, or what you’re responding to. what point are you trying to make here?

And that's the entire point being you miss. That you don't understand nuance is the root of your intractability when it comes to your subjective opinions. That inability is what always ends up creating laughable rants and blow-ups.

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You seem to have a serious problem sussing out shades of gray. 

I don't recall if it was you or someone else that pointed out the spectrum possibility. But fuck, he couldn't even agree to the simple black and white (no racist) fact that RT is in his first year as the permanent HC of Texas men's basketball. Nope, that's just me being disingenuous about my arguments. Whatever the fuck ever. A simple universal fact and he refuses to accede or alter his position.  It's willful combativeness because no one else in the entire world understands. No one else gets it like the master observer that never seems to be able to read the room. Possible spectrum, possible mind of a child. Either way, engagement is pointless.

• Hook 'Em 1