Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I can’t be entirely mad about this season. From a Texas Men’s Basketball historical perspective it’s probably in the 60th percentile of seasons I’ve watched. Beat the Sooners twice, Baylor once, and sent thousands of Tech fans home disappointed in the last game we’ll play in Lubbock. Then a win in the NCAAT. Not bad by our standards for the sport. 

The future, however, does not seem to be on an upward trajectory. Let’s see what the portal brings and resume the discussion this time next year. 

Last night was ugly.  Some of that is absolutely on Rodney

• Hook 'Em 4

Team has looked poorly coached and aside from Weaver it seems every player either regressed or didn’t take a reasonable step forward.  The program is on a downward trajectory, but Terry is extremely likely to get 3 full seasons as coach. The bar for next season:

Miss the tourney: 2025-2026 hot seat (sweet 16 or you’re fired)

6 seed or worse with Round of 64/32 exit: 2025-2026 is warm seat; better be a top 5 seed in the tourney in 2026 or you’re fired

5 seed or better with Round of 64/32 exit: 2025-2026 is warm seat; better make the 2026 tourney or you’re fired

Sweet 16: good job

Elite 8: good job, here’s a moderate extension

FF or better: great job, here’s a massive extension that makes you one of the 10 highest paid coaches in the sport for the next 5+ years.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Gerry:  "Ugly embarrassing loss for Texas"

Critical of RT's coaching in this game and team's terrible performance.

giphy.gif

How dare he criticizes RT's coaching decisions! Letting Hunter play so many minutes and inbound when he kept turning the ball over was the definition of insanity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The time will come. What are the boxes to check off in the next Men’s Texas BB coaching search?

SEC experience?

Does race matter?

Relationship status?

Has the candidate ever ripped his shirt off to fire up his team?

Rick Barnes coaching tree?

Tournament Success? What is the highest round exit that is acceptable?

Does the new coach match the Culture, or bring the culture? 

Has the Candidate ever been photographed or known to have committed the dreaded horns down?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

with our best shooting team in years.

just went back and looked, and we shot 36/53/75 this year as a team, and that was the first/only time in the kenpom era that we reached those numbers in all three categories. of course one big problem there is that RT’s teams historically are terrible at getting to the FT line (the most high percentage shot in basketball), and this year was no different.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

How dare he criticizes RT's coaching decisions! Letting Hunter play so many minutes and inbound when he kept turning the ball over was the definition of insanity.

So there’s a difference.  He’s calling out Rodney with data and facts. Some of the haters on here are saying Rodney can’t speak good English and is disorganized.  See the difference?

gerry also calls out the players for their play too

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

texas shot 42-110 (38%) from the field and 8-37 (21%) from deep in the tourney with our best shooting team in years. discipline and shot selection were nonexistent at times.

Disu pulling a full 180 from his tourney performance last season was crucial. He ended the season as a 50%+ 3pt shooter yet only hit one 3 during the tourney.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Team has looked poorly coached and aside from Weaver it seems every player either regressed or didn’t take a reasonable step forward.  The program is on a downward trajectory, but Terry is extremely likely to get 3 full seasons as coach. The bar for next season:

Miss the tourney: 2025-2026 hot seat (sweet 16 or you’re fired)

6 seed or worse with Round of 64/32 exit: 2025-2026 is warm seat; better be a top 5 seed in the tourney in 2026 or you’re fired

5 seed or better with Round of 64/32 exit: 2025-2026 is warm seat; better make the 2026 tourney or you’re fired

Sweet 16: good job

Elite 8: good job, here’s a moderate extension

FF or better: great job, here’s a massive extension that makes you one of the 10 highest paid coaches in the sport for the next 5+ years.

Who specifically regressed this season? Name the players you're referring to.  

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

texas shot 42-110 (38%) from the field and 8-37 (21%) from deep in the tourney with our best shooting team in years. discipline and shot selection were nonexistent at times.

I'm still not sure I understand how we NEVER seem to have consistent shooters.

Not doubting Derka, but if you tell me this is our best shooting team in years, imma start yearsing to see how that's possible.

It's crazy to me how bad our FT shooting has been for years. I've never seen a bad FT shooting team that was a good shooting team (not just by % because that can be affected by shots in the lane that should be high percentage.)

We get scorers, but not scorers who are shooters. I want to see a team that can create (either by set or ability or BOTH) a good shot and make that good shot.  Good defenses will make shots more difficult (lower percentage / probability) so increase the chance of scoring with better shots and shotmakers.

Edited by Slacks
Suck at swyping

I believe RT gets 3 years or more if he can make the tourney again next year. What might accelerate his firing, however, is us underperforming the teams led by our former coaches and Aggy. If Beard, Barnes, Shaka and Aggy have better seasons than us next year, RT's leash will get shorter imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Gerry is 100% right that RT waited far too long to get Hunter off the floor and off of inbounds.  That's just low-IQ bad coaching.

Abmas had 4 TOs and 2 early fouls.  We were sort of running out of options as far as taking Hunter off the court.  

3 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

The time will come. What are the boxes to check off in the next Men’s Texas BB coaching search?

SEC experience?

Does race matter?

Relationship status?

Has the candidate ever ripped his shirt off to fire up his team?

Rick Barnes coaching tree?

Tournament Success? What is the highest round exit that is acceptable?

Does the new coach match the Culture, or bring the culture? 

Has the Candidate ever been photographed or known to have committed the dreaded horns down?

Otzelberger would be on my short list. Does Billy Donovan want to continue coaching in NBA Purgatory? 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Otzelberger would be on my short list. Does Billy Donovan want to continue coaching in NBA Purgatory? 

Billy Donovan is never coming back to college basketball. I don't know why our fans can't grasp that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Gerry is 100% right that RT waited far too long to get Hunter off the floor and off of inbounds.  That's just low-IQ bad coaching.

Beard is the one that stuck RT with that guy. Hunter is a failed eval from the guy that hit his wife and got fired - not RT.

also everybody wanted tyrese hunter after his freshman year at isu.

IMG_1627.thumb.jpeg.5f963c2b1c7586da8e3dce676373f88a.jpeg

i’m gonna look at the success of every single other transfer that beard brought in and go ahead and say that tyrese hunter becoming a non factor is his own deal, and not the fault of any coach. deciding to start and play said non-factor 30+ mpg definitely falls on the coach though. 

Beard is the one that stuck RT with that guy. Hunter is a failed eval from the guy that hit his wife and got fired - not RT.
He also stuck him with the guys that went to the elite 8 that you keep wanting to give RT all the credit for.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i’m gonna look at the success of every single other transfer that beard brought in

Yeah Tre Mitchell was awesome. 

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:
13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He also stuck him with the guys that went to the elite 8 that you keep wanting to give RT all the credit for.

I'm talking about this season. 

Who did the evals on Abmas and Weaver? No coach bats 1.000 in the portal. The fact that RT got stuck with a dogshit starting "point guard" shouldn't be held against him. 

But I'll continue standing behind the guy and y'all can continue your fake coaching search. 

18 minutes ago, Scraps said:
25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're only "stuck" in season, which was 2023, not the next season in this era of portal. 

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And who agreed to give Perryman a scholarship this year that prevented us from adding a player?

42 minutes ago, HookEm said:

098755f4b7ec7739534520ab924d4203.jpg
If by “far better” you mean “exactly the same national rank according to KenPom” then I agree with you.

I’m assuming this is adjusted after we suddenly decided to become a great defensive team with a dogshit offense for 2 tournament games. Believe going in there was a much bigger difference.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

098755f4b7ec7739534520ab924d4203.jpg
If by “far better” you mean “exactly the same national rank according to KenPom” then I agree with you.

good point, except that here are the numbers from before the tournament, aka “all season”:

IMG_1630.jpeg

IMG_1631.jpeg

as has already been posted here, this year’s defense heading into the tourney was tied with the 2007 team for the worst UT defense of the kenpom era. but other than that, great point.

Edited by shadow_operative

Yeah it is the whole season through yesterday. Just like all the other UT seasons it is compared against.

In the end we had a good but not great offense, a good but not great defense, a good but not great roster, a good but not great coach… and unsurprisingly a good but not great year.

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

in the end we had good but not great defense

in the end we had our worst defense since the KD year. that’s a fact. barnes, shaka, and beard all fielded good-great defenses routinely. RT just fielded the worst defense since our roster was six 155 lb teenagers. taking the warped final kenpom ratings after our last two games and trying to act as if that proves that we had a “good” defense this year is…….wait for it…….

disingenuous. if you guys hate me using this word so much you should probably start being honest with your arguments. as if you’re going to sit here and post one screenshot and it will suddenly erase everyone’s memory to the fact that our defense was not good this year, and in fact the worst it’s been in a very long time.

Edited by shadow_operative

On 3/14/2024 at 9:32 PM, shadow_operative said:

AdjD during the kenpom era

first number is AdjD which is points given up per 100 possessions weighted for sos, the second number is the national rank

2024- 100.3 (61)

2023- 92.1 (13)

2022- 91.6 (14)

2021- 92.8 (31)

2020- 92.6 (24)

2019- 94.4 (26)

2018- 94.1 (12)

2017- 93.7 (21)

2016- 96.8 (40)

2015- 93.4 (14)

2014- 97.3 (53)

2013- 95.5 (54)

2012- 97.0 (64)

2011- 89.6 (4)

2010- 93.1 (30)

2009- 92.5 (20)

2008- 95.5 (42)

2007- 100.3 (92)

2006- 91.7 (15)

2005- 97.1 (61)

2004- 94.1 (22)

2003- 95.8 (58)

2002- 98.3 (74)

2001- 90.1 (11)

2000- 87.5 (11)

1999- 91.6 (36)

this year’s Texas defense was tied for the worst defense of the kenpom era (so, since rick’s first year here) with the 2007 team that that was all skinny, tiny freshmen and basically only played six guys. a quick scan of the numbers and you can see that 100.3 is a number that is wildly high for the standard that’s been set here at Texas. 

a final note to drive home how bad of a coaching job this defense has been:

D-1 experience:

2007 Texas: 0.37 years, 333rd in d-1

2024 Texas: 3.23 years, 4th in d-1

so not only has Terry had a shaky season with his mercurial, volatile team, he’s done so with as much as d-1 experience as he will ever have on any roster he coaches the rest of his career. 

the more i post, the more i can’t believe we still have people who want RT to be our HC.

but please, tell me more about how we had a good defense this year. 🙄 

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Billy Donovan is never coming back to college basketball. I don't know why our fans can't grasp that. 

Hopium?

I'm still irrationally pining for Jay Wright. Is that going to happen? It is not, Mr. SL Xpress. It is not.