Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't know what he used to be like but if he's supporting Moe's plan for twitter, he's a fucking racist piece of shit. 

I wonder why concerns about anti-semitism suddenly vanish when it's actively promoted by Elon and his supporters.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 5:40 PM, Sawbonz said:

Is there an epidemic of people leaving fingers and toes in closing doors and trunks, automated or otherwise?

I won’t be surprised if somebody does it for the views.  Apparently when it encounters resistance, the next time it increases the amount of force, with the reasoning being that something in the frunk is causing the problem and it just needs to try harder.

https://www.businessinsider.com/youtuber-cybertrunk-finger-test-frunk-sensor-2024-5

Judkins said that after the finger test, a lead cybertruck engineer at Tesla said he did the video wrong. The engineer told him the frunk increases in pressure every single time it closes and detects resistance, Judkins said. It’s going to assume you want to close the frunk and maybe something like a bag is getting in the way, which would make it close harder.

“Using this information, that means it closed on my finger harder than my hand and way harder than my arm,” the YouTuber wrote.

Judkins said the algorithm should favor safety instead of a bag getting in the way. But even when Judkins put a bag in the way of closing the frunk, it still closed, which meant it didn’t quite respond to resistance the way it should have.

The guy who broke his finger (although he really broke his finger as the stick proved he was going to break his finger)

Edited by atomheartbevo

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Jack Dorsey is now a racist? That’s news to me. He was almost revered as a martyr by the left after Elon acquired Twitter.

Meth burned holes in your brain

Edited by ultimaton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)

I find the idea of neural implants offered up by someone with the empathy of Elon plus developments in AI pretty unsettling.  Like, I already feel uneasy using AI to be hyper-productive via a keyboard and web browser.  I see my company starting to rethink plans of hiring junior engineers because experienced engineers using AI kind of make their contributions unnecessary.  I've seen the majority of people in my industry start using AI with zeal.  They almost have to.  If they don't, their productivity decreases in relation to those that do.  That could cost them the promotion, or limit their opportunities if they get laid off.  All that is happening today.

Well, what if Elon's brain implant gave humans a direct, completely frictionless and fast as thought interface into AI and that resulted in even more hyper productivity?  I can guarantee you that if it did, there would be a mad wave of early adopters trying to stay ahead of the curve just like they are now with AI.  Health risks wouldn't be much of a factor in their calculus.  And their momentum would put pressure on everyone else to get a fucking brain implant or risk becoming a 2nd or 3rd tier worker.  In this case, it might not just be an easy choice of fuck no, I wouldn't let a fucking sociopathic capitalist like Elon plug into my brain.  It might be a choice of do you let a sociopathic capitalist like Elon plug into your brain, or do you not pay the mortgage, or put food on the table, or whatever else you use your current income for?

There's a SciFi movie plot for whoever here writes screenplays.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I find the idea of neural implants offered up by someone with the empathy of Elon plus developments in AI pretty unsettling.  Like, I already feel uneasy using AI to be hyper-productive via a keyboard and web browser.  I see my company starting to rethink plans of hiring junior engineers because experienced engineers using AI kind of make their contributions unnecessary.  I've seen the majority of people in my industry start using AI with zeal.  They almost have to.  If they don't, their productivity decreases in relation to those that do.  That could cost them the promotion, or limit their opportunities if they get laid off.  All that is happening today.

Well, what if Elon's brain implant gave humans a direct, completely frictionless and fast as thought interface into AI and that resulted in even more hyper productivity?  I can guarantee you that if it did, there would be a mad wave of early adopters trying to stay ahead of the curve just like they are now with AI.  Health risks wouldn't be much of a factor in their calculus.  And their momentum would put pressure on everyone else to get a fucking brain implant or risk becoming a 2nd or 3rd tier worker.  In this case, it might not just be an easy choice of fuck no, I wouldn't let a fucking sociopathic capitalist like Elon plug into my brain.  It might be a choice of do you let a sociopathic capitalist like Elon plug into your brain, or do you not pay the mortgage, or put food on the table, or whatever else you use your current income for?

Isn't this the Gattaca plot?

• Haha 4

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2024/05/i-read-everything-elon-musk-posted-for-a-week-send-help/

Spoiler

I Read Everything Elon Musk Posted for a Week. Send Help.

If your media diet looked like his, you’d be red-pilled too.

A photo illustration of Elon Musk surrounded by screenshots of his tweets and laughing/crying emojis.

Mother Jones illustration; Michel Euler/AP

Fight disinformation: Sign up for the free Mother Jones Daily newsletter and follow the news that matters.

Last January, not long after agreeing with an actual Nazi that western Jews have brought antisemitism upon themselves by welcoming “hordes of minorities” to their countries, Elon Musk took a quick trip to Poland. The billionaire chief of SpaceX, Tesla, and X laid a wreath at Auschwitz and then preceded on to a symposium in Krakow, where he told the conservative commentator Ben Shapiro that social media could have averted the Holocaust and bragged that he considered himself “aspirationally Jewish.” The tweet, he explained in a different interview, at a different symposium “might be literally the worst and dumbest post I’ve ever done.” But he did not take it down, nor has he moderated his views. If anything his descent into the online fever swamp has only accelerated.

It is hard to appreciate just how thoroughly one of the world’s richest men has been red-pilled until you actually follow along with his media diet. So that’s what I decided to do. Last month, I read everything Musk had to say on X for a week and tracked everyone he interacted with. He tweeted 389 times in five days. He posted the laughing/crying emoji 45 times. But there was a clear signal piercing through the noise. Musk is not a tech visionary with a side interest in politics these days, nor is he just another bored billionaire with a nativist streak; the political activism and the technological ambitions are inseparable. He believes his work is part of a civilizational struggle in which woke progressives pose an existential threat to humanity. And he spends most of his days inside a feedback loop that’s radicalizing him even more.

Over the course of the week, Musk dabbled in a range of small-scale freakouts and smoldering obsessions. He sent 13 tweets about Brazil’s supreme court, as part of a weeks-long battle with the government over efforts to censor disinformation and hate speech. He twice promoted a statistic about the murder rate among Black Americans. He spent one afternoon earnestly amplifying a follower who claimed that “Over 1,000 African migrants have taken over NYC’s City Hall.” (It was an overflow crowd for a hearing on racial disparities in the shelter system.) But one subject came to drown out all the rest. During the week Tesla recalled its CyberTruck for a faulty accelerator pedal, Musk’s most urgent public concern was Katherine Maher.

Musk tweeted about Maher, the CEO of National Public Radio who formerly served as executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation, nearly 60 times. It began relatively simply, with Musk lamenting the resignation of Uri Berliner, a former NPR staffer who wrote a critical essay about what he considered the media outlet’s leftward drift. Then Manhattan Institute fellow Chris Rufo—the conservative strategist who helped orchestarate the backlash to Critical Race Theory—began dredging up old comments from Maher, in which she talked about correcting for white historical biases at Wikipedia and pushing back against disinformation at NPR. “Katherine Maher is blatantly racist and sexist – one of the worst human beings in America,” Musk tweeted at Rufo. “She’s evil,” he tweeted again, one minute later.

Rufo and the Canadian behavioral marketing guru Gad Saad are two of Musk’s favorite sounding boards when it comes to wokeness. From Rufo, Musk learns what he should be mad about—clips of Maher speaking to the Atlantic Council, clips of Maher delivering a Ted Talk, screenshots of Maher’s old tweets. From Saad, he gets a more holistic intellectual framework for being mad. Musk is obsessed with the idea that a “woke mind virus” is infecting society. Saad happens to be the author of a book called The Parasitic Mind, which Musk has said gave him “nightmares.” In March, a few months after Saad tweeted at Musk to ask him to promote the book, they held a glitchy 38-minute public discussion on X Spaces. The billionaire has continued to plug the book—including three different times in the week I tuned in.

If you only pay glancing attention to Musk, it’s tough to fully grasp both the intensity and shallowness of his conservative convictions. I knew that he previously said that the rise of Artificial Intelligence could bring about “civilizational destruction,” but I had, in my ignorance, assumed that this fear stemmed from a simple Matrix-style kind of doomism: Machines will grow sentient and enslave us. The reality, which became clear as Musk’s fixation with Maher progressed, was a bit darker: He believes AI will destroy the world with wokeness.

It was a “severe civilization-level risk,” Musk wrote in a late-night exchange with the billionaire venture-capitalist Marc Andreesen. (Andreesen’s own spiraling antipathy toward progressive buzzwords like “sustainability” and “social responsibility” has made him a leading proponent of Effective Accelerationism—sort of the anti-woke mind virus.)

“Now imagine if this is programmed, explicitly or implicitly, into super powerful AI – it could end civilization,” he said in response to a Rufo tweet about Maher’s TED Talk, in which she discusses how Wikipedia moderators think about truth when it comes to thorny subjects like religion. “Now, no need to imagine. It is already programmed into Google Gemini and OpenAI ChatGPT.”

Musk returned to the theme of civilization-destroying woke AI throughout the week. “Imagine if instead of merely rendering forced ‘diverse’ images,” he said in reply to a follower with the handle DogeDesigner, “it decided to make that true in reality, potentially killing millions of people to achieve diversity goals.”

Imagine! With those stakes, everything fits in this heroic or apocalyptic dichotomy.

“[T]he West…wishes to be eaten alive and to have its children sacrificed because then death could be the ultimate expression of its progressive purity,” Saad wrote toward the beginning of the week.

“Suicidal empathy for the L,” Musk agreed.

All of this might sound familiar. That’s because it’s a facet of the same complaint that led to his remedial education at Auschwitz last year, stripped of the most obvious antisemitic signifiers: Woke progressives are opening the doors to the forces that will destroy us all: Falling birth rates, gender ideology, flag-burning immigrants, socially-conscious AI. There was a basic fallacy in expecting a tour about the horrors of genocide to soften the views of someone currently worried about “white genocide” and civil war, and who believes the ideology of his critics could lead to millions of deaths.

Musk described the current state of his red-pilling, and how all-encompassing it is, most succinctly in a response to Rufo about a five-year-old tweet from Maher about feeling “deep discomfort” about having children.

“Once you see that the true battle is expansionists vs extinctionists,” he wrote, “you can’t unsee it.”

And once you see that Musk truly can’t see anything else, you can’t unsee that. Still, there are some things Musk doeswant AI to kill off. The emerging tech is a boon to Musk not just because of what it promises for his companies, but because of what he hopes it can replace. “Legacy media simply can’t compete with hundreds of millions of humans providing real-time, AI-assisted, interactive information,” he boasted, responding to a chart from DogeDesigner showing declining traffic at major news sites. Musk is doing his part. His feed looks like a newsroom after private equity came to town—one of the only articles from a legacy media outlet he shared all week was a New York Post story about X’s advertising situation, and the only reporter from a legacy news outlet he interacted with was Bill Melugin, Fox News’ man on the border.  

Musk touts his platform as the future of news even as he uses it to spread misinformation. Not long after taking over the platform, he shared—and later deleted—a report from a notorious fake-news site that falsely asserted that Nancy’s Pelosi’s husband, Paul, had not been brutally attacked by a home invader and instead had gotten in a fight with a male prostitute. Communicating in emojis and exclamation marks makes it harder to commit factual errors, but he still made some. Musk twice expressed his alarm at a too-good-to-check story about a non-profit that works with migrants in Mexico handing out flyers asking them to vote for Joe Biden when they get to the United States. The non-profit said it had nothing to do with the flyers, and the text appeared to have been crudely translated using an online app. The allegation, which originated with a right-wing site called Muckraker.com, was amplified by the Heritage Foundation and found its way to Musk by way of both the Heritage Foundation and Nate Hochman, a Republican writer and activist who was fired from Ron DeSantis’ presidential campaign after featuring a Nazi symbol in a campaign video. It may seem like a small thing, but there’s no such thing when it comes to truth—I’m told the future of civilization hangs in the balance.

A lot of his time is just spent saying the same grim things, to the same grim people, over and over. He has the mannerism not of a master of the universe, but of the reply guys clamoring for their attention. Musk tweeted “DefundNPR” at Rufo three times in two days, like a man at a ballpark by himself, trying to start the wave. He will sometimes respond to the same post multiple times, hours apart with a slightly different reaction. One of the big stories last week in Musk’s circle was a report from the popular account End Wokeness that the actress Naomi Watts has a daughter who is trans.

“Funny how so many progressive actors have children who are transgender,” Gad Saad wrote.

“Terrible,” Musk said.

“‘A ‘trans’ child is the ultimate Hollywood virtue signal, meaning EXTRA approval. Two is even better. 3 is god mode,” said a finance influencer and self-described Tesla shareholder, a few hours later.

“Yup,” said Musk.

It is hard to overstate that this is just what one of the most powerful men in the world does all day. It is the media diet of one of those influencers who only eats organ meat. At least Howard Hughes kept out of sight. But even amidst this right-wing emoji-storm, there were still occasional glimpses of the Musk who, until fairly recently, enjoyed a less polarizing reputation as a billionaire who built cool stuff. He does talk a lot about SpaceX, although those interstellar ambitions take on a different light when you realize his quest is now part of a civilization struggle against pronouns. If you catch him at the right moment, you can still find Musk sharing math jokes, politely engaging with people with product complaints, and offering unsolicited medical advice. “If you’re experiencing severe neck/back pain, I recommend looking into a disc replacement,” he suggested. I don’t know if that’s good advice or not, but I do at least get where he’s coming from. 

Once, in the course of 389 tweets, the father of 11 even talked about what it’s like to be a parent.

“Whoa, I just realized that raising a kid is basically 18 years of prompt engineering 🤯,” he wrote.

“Our first child will be born next month – what’s your biggest piece of advice?” a former Tesla employee asked in response.

It was right there for him on a platter—a chance to be normal. What would it be: Treasure every moment? Stock up on wipes?

“Be super careful about what schools teach your kids,” Musk replied.

Never mind.

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2024/05/i-read-everything-elon-musk-posted-for-a-week-send-help/

Hide contents

A photo illustration of Elon Musk surrounded by screenshots of his tweets and laughing/crying emojis.

Fight disinformation: Sign up for the free Mother Jones Daily newsletter and follow the news that matters.

Last January, not long after agreeing with an actual Nazi that western Jews have brought antisemitism upon themselves by welcoming “hordes of minorities” to their countries, Elon Musk took a quick trip to Poland. The billionaire chief of SpaceX, Tesla, and X laid a wreath at Auschwitz and then preceded on to a symposium in Krakow, where he told the conservative commentator Ben Shapiro that social media could have averted the Holocaust and bragged that he considered himself “aspirationally Jewish.” The tweet, he explained in a different interview, at a different symposium “might be literally the worst and dumbest post I’ve ever done.” But he did not take it down, nor has he moderated his views. If anything his descent into the online fever swamp has only accelerated.

It is hard to appreciate just how thoroughly one of the world’s richest men has been red-pilled until you actually follow along with his media diet. So that’s what I decided to do. Last month, I read everything Musk had to say on X for a week and tracked everyone he interacted with. He tweeted 389 times in five days. He posted the laughing/crying emoji 45 times. But there was a clear signal piercing through the noise. Musk is not a tech visionary with a side interest in politics these days, nor is he just another bored billionaire with a nativist streak; the political activism and the technological ambitions are inseparable. He believes his work is part of a civilizational struggle in which woke progressives pose an existential threat to humanity. And he spends most of his days inside a feedback loop that’s radicalizing him even more.

Over the course of the week, Musk dabbled in a range of small-scale freakouts and smoldering obsessions. He sent 13 tweets about Brazil’s supreme court, as part of a weeks-long battle with the government over efforts to censor disinformation and hate speech. He twice promoted a statistic about the murder rate among Black Americans. He spent one afternoon earnestly amplifying a follower who claimed that “Over 1,000 African migrants have taken over NYC’s City Hall.” (It was an overflow crowd for a hearing on racial disparities in the shelter system.) But one subject came to drown out all the rest. During the week Tesla recalled its CyberTruck for a faulty accelerator pedal, Musk’s most urgent public concern was Katherine Maher.

Musk tweeted about Maher, the CEO of National Public Radio who formerly served as executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation, nearly 60 times. It began relatively simply, with Musk lamenting the resignation of Uri Berliner, a former NPR staffer who wrote a critical essay about what he considered the media outlet’s leftward drift. Then Manhattan Institute fellow Chris Rufo—the conservative strategist who helped orchestarate the backlash to Critical Race Theory—began dredging up old comments from Maher, in which she talked about correcting for white historical biases at Wikipedia and pushing back against disinformation at NPR. “Katherine Maher is blatantly racist and sexist – one of the worst human beings in America,” Musk tweeted at Rufo. “She’s evil,” he tweeted again, one minute later.

Rufo and the Canadian behavioral marketing guru Gad Saad are two of Musk’s favorite sounding boards when it comes to wokeness. From Rufo, Musk learns what he should be mad about—clips of Maher speaking to the Atlantic Council, clips of Maher delivering a Ted Talk, screenshots of Maher’s old tweets. From Saad, he gets a more holistic intellectual framework for being mad. Musk is obsessed with the idea that a “woke mind virus” is infecting society. Saad happens to be the author of a book called The Parasitic Mind, which Musk has said gave him “nightmares.” In March, a few months after Saad tweeted at Musk to ask him to promote the book, they held a glitchy 38-minute public discussion on X Spaces. The billionaire has continued to plug the book—including three different times in the week I tuned in.

If you only pay glancing attention to Musk, it’s tough to fully grasp both the intensity and shallowness of his conservative convictions. I knew that he previously said that the rise of Artificial Intelligence could bring about “civilizational destruction,” but I had, in my ignorance, assumed that this fear stemmed from a simple Matrix-style kind of doomism: Machines will grow sentient and enslave us. The reality, which became clear as Musk’s fixation with Maher progressed, was a bit darker: He believes AI will destroy the world with wokeness.

It was a “severe civilization-level risk,” Musk wrote in a late-night exchange with the billionaire venture-capitalist Marc Andreesen. (Andreesen’s own spiraling antipathy toward progressive buzzwords like “sustainability” and “social responsibility” has made him a leading proponent of Effective Accelerationism—sort of the anti-woke mind virus.)

“Now imagine if this is programmed, explicitly or implicitly, into super powerful AI – it could end civilization,” he said in response to a Rufo tweet about Maher’s TED Talk, in which she discusses how Wikipedia moderators think about truth when it comes to thorny subjects like religion. “Now, no need to imagine. It is already programmed into Google Gemini and OpenAI ChatGPT.”

Musk returned to the theme of civilization-destroying woke AI throughout the week. “Imagine if instead of merely rendering forced ‘diverse’ images,” he said in reply to a follower with the handle DogeDesigner, “it decided to make that true in reality, potentially killing millions of people to achieve diversity goals.”

Imagine! With those stakes, everything fits in this heroic or apocalyptic dichotomy.

“[T]he West…wishes to be eaten alive and to have its children sacrificed because then death could be the ultimate expression of its progressive purity,” Saad wrote toward the beginning of the week.

All of this might sound familiar. That’s because it’s a facet of the same complaint that led to his remedial education at Auschwitz last year, stripped of the most obvious antisemitic signifiers: Woke progressives are opening the doors to the forces that will destroy us all: Falling birth rates, gender ideology, flag-burning immigrants, socially-conscious AI. There was a basic fallacy in expecting a tour about the horrors of genocide to soften the views of someone currently worried about “white genocide” and civil war, and who believes the ideology of his critics could lead to millions of deaths.

Musk described the current state of his red-pilling, and how all-encompassing it is, most succinctly in a response to Rufo about a five-year-old tweet from Maher about feeling “deep discomfort” about having children.

“Once you see that the true battle is expansionists vs extinctionists,” he wrote, “you can’t unsee it.”

And once you see that Musk truly can’t see anything else, you can’t unsee that. Still, there are some things Musk doeswant AI to kill off. The emerging tech is a boon to Musk not just because of what it promises for his companies, but because of what he hopes it can replace. “Legacy media simply can’t compete with hundreds of millions of humans providing real-time, AI-assisted, interactive information,” he boasted, responding to a chart from DogeDesigner showing declining traffic at major news sites. Musk is doing his part. His feed looks like a newsroom after private equity came to town—one of the only articles from a legacy media outlet he shared all week was a New York Post story about X’s advertising situation, and the only reporter from a legacy news outlet he interacted with was Bill Melugin, Fox News’ man on the border.  

Musk touts his platform as the future of news even as he uses it to spread misinformation. Not long after taking over the platform, he shared—and later deleted—a report from a notorious fake-news site that falsely asserted that Nancy’s Pelosi’s husband, Paul, had not been brutally attacked by a home invader and instead had gotten in a fight with a male prostitute. Communicating in emojis and exclamation marks makes it harder to commit factual errors, but he still made some. Musk twice expressed his alarm at a too-good-to-check story about a non-profit that works with migrants in Mexico handing out flyers asking them to vote for Joe Biden when they get to the United States. The non-profit said it had nothing to do with the flyers, and the text appeared to have been crudely translated using an online app. The allegation, which originated with a right-wing site called Muckraker.com, was amplified by the Heritage Foundation and found its way to Musk by way of both the Heritage Foundation and Nate Hochman, a Republican writer and activist who was fired from Ron DeSantis’ presidential campaign after featuring a Nazi symbol in a campaign video. It may seem like a small thing, but there’s no such thing when it comes to truth—I’m told the future of civilization hangs in the balance.

A lot of his time is just spent saying the same grim things, to the same grim people, over and over. He has the mannerism not of a master of the universe, but of the reply guys clamoring for their attention. Musk tweeted “DefundNPR” at Rufo three times in two days, like a man at a ballpark by himself, trying to start the wave. He will sometimes respond to the same post multiple times, hours apart with a slightly different reaction. One of the big stories last week in Musk’s circle was a report from the popular account End Wokeness that the actress Naomi Watts has a daughter who is trans.

“Funny how so many progressive actors have children who are transgender,” Gad Saad wrote.

“Terrible,” Musk said.

“‘A ‘trans’ child is the ultimate Hollywood virtue signal, meaning EXTRA approval. Two is even better. 3 is god mode,” said a finance influencer and self-described Tesla shareholder, a few hours later.

“Yup,” said Musk.

It is hard to overstate that this is just what one of the most powerful men in the world does all day. It is the media diet of one of those influencers who only eats organ meat. At least Howard Hughes kept out of sight. But even amidst this right-wing emoji-storm, there were still occasional glimpses of the Musk who, until fairly recently, enjoyed a less polarizing reputation as a billionaire who built cool stuff. He does talk a lot about SpaceX, although those interstellar ambitions take on a different light when you realize his quest is now part of a civilization struggle against pronouns. If you catch him at the right moment, you can still find Musk sharing math jokes, politely engaging with people with product complaints, and offering unsolicited medical advice. “If you’re experiencing severe neck/back pain, I recommend looking into a disc replacement,” he suggested. I don’t know if that’s good advice or not, but I do at least get where he’s coming from. 

Once, in the course of 389 tweets, the father of 11 even talked about what it’s like to be a parent.

“Whoa, I just realized that raising a kid is basically 18 years of prompt engineering 🤯,” he wrote.

“Our first child will be born next month – what’s your biggest piece of advice?” a former Tesla employee asked in response.

It was right there for him on a platter—a chance to be normal. What would it be: Treasure every moment? Stock up on wipes?

Never mind.

What if you just never worried about what you were reading and watching from your Twitter feed or who wrote it and just took it at face value and ran as fast as you could for the culture war clout?

Edited by Captainant

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

yeah right whatever GIF

Your AI fears are possible, but Neuralink being able to do this, I don't see it. I am not even sure that I believe anything they have shown with the implants yet. I think we are a long LONG way from knowing what their implants can do. But I do think it is going to fall well short of whatever promises Elon is making.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/elon-musk-podcasts-fall-civilization-b2541073.html

Elon Musk has admitted that he listens to podcasts about the fall of civilization to help him get to sleep at night, despite it being one of his biggest worries. “I listen to podcasts about the fall of civilizations to fall asleep,” the billionaire Tesla boss said at the Milken Global Conference in Los Angeles on Monday.

Mr Musk was asked what keeps him up at night and responded, “Anything that’s a civilizational risk,” including plummeting birth rates and “anything that undermines the foundations of democracy in America or elsewhere” as well as “anything that’s leading us away from a merit-based system.”

The South African-born entrepreneur said he has long theorised that artificial intelligence, declining birth rates or a “single world government” could lead to the collapse of civilization. 

This could be digital intelligence replacing biological brains, the tech mogul has said, adding that for civilization to survive, humans will have to merge with machines to avoid becoming irrelevant.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Parliament said:

So the IRA was a terrorist organization that killed women and children indiscrimanently.  Certainly he doesn't admire them for it.  Right?

You’re thinking of the Provos — the Provisional IRA that committed terrorism during the Troubles. The real IRA that fought against the yoke of the British Empire over 100 years ago, leading to the creation of the Free State and, then, later the Republic was a legitimate army that fought for independence — no different than our own Continental Army under Washington. That’s the IRA that Elon is referring to. Sadly, historical literacy is a rare commodity these days.

Edited by Macklemore

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-autopilot-probe-us-prosecutors-focus-securities-wire-fraud-2024-05-08/

May 8 (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors are examining whether Tesla (TSLA.O)committed securities or wire fraud by misleading investors and consumers about its electric vehicles’ self-driving capabilities, three people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-autopilot-probe-us-prosecutors-focus-securities-wire-fraud-2024-05-08/

May 8 (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors are examining whether Tesla (TSLA.O)committed securities or wire fraud by misleading investors and consumers about its electric vehicles’ self-driving capabilities, three people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Someone get @Guadaloopy on the case!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

concerning

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

You’re thinking of the Provos — the Provisional IRA that committed terrorism during the Troubles. The real IRA that fought against the yoke of the British Empire over 100 years ago, leading to the creation of the Free State and, then, later the Republic was a legitimate army that fought for independence — no different than our own Continental Army under Washington. That’s the IRA that Elon is referring to. Sadly, historical literacy is a rare commodity these days.

And you know this how? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Macklemore said:

Fuck you. How close are you to jumping off the ledge?

At this point, I'm just sitting back and relaxing, watching the show as Elon drives Twitter and Tesla off the ledge in a moronic Thelma and Louise tribute.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

At this point, I'm just sitting back and relaxing, watching the show as Elon drives Twitter and Tesla off the ledge in a moronic Thelma and Louise tribute.

Lucky for him, he has fuck you money, and can treat Twitter as his toy and shit post like we do here. I don’t think he’s sweating one bit about losing advertisers. 

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

Lucky for him, he has fuck you money, and can treat Twitter as his toy and shit post like we do here. I don’t think he’s sweating one bit about losing advertisers. 

Agreed....as to Twitter.   As to Tesla....not so much.

Massive things like the Elonplex fail two ways: very slowly, and then all at once.  He is repeatedly shooting himself and his businesses in the dick, as you stand behind him repeating "masterful gambit, sir!"  The simping is as funny to watch as is the ego-driven self-destruction.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

He does today. On paper, at least. I wonder about tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. He's not exactly steering any of his companies with masterful aplomb. The world could go on functioning tomorrow if Tesla/Twitter simply ceased to exist.

5 hours ago, Macklemore said:

This doesn't make sense within the context of Elon's tweet. The original version you are referring to existed a century ago. His tweet implied that it was a contemporary IRA splinter group that had gone soft.

• Hook 'Em 1

This doesn't make sense within the context of Elon's tweet. The original version you are referring to existed a century ago. His tweet implied that it was a contemporary IRA splinter group that had gone soft.

There is less-than-zero chance Elon meant what Macklemore thinks he meant.
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Only as long as Tesla stock doesn’t drop back into the $140 range (or below) again.  Twitter only runs as long as Elmo has Tesla money.  And Musk not being able to steal hug chunk of Tesla’s revenue for his compensation isn’t helping him.

And it’s not so much about losing the advertisers as it’s people clicking on the remaining advertisers. Maybe among the incels there is a huge market for dick pills, cheap drop shipped Chinese lights, and vibrators and dildos, but not for everybody else.  I don’t think I’ve seen a relevant advertisement in months.

Hell, hopping on right now, my feed has ads for CRM platforms, AI, and ripoff video editing software.   None of those interest me, nor does the shitty OnlyFans wannabes that pop up in my feed.  It’s stunning how much he’s degraded the experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Reveal hidden contents

“Terrible,” Musk said.

“Yup,” said Musk.

Never mind.

About what I expected. A bunch of vapid generalities that fit into a US vs THEM dichotomy.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  He's what idiots think a "deep thinker" looks like.  Sensing a theme?

Yes

sci-fi film GIF

What’s pretty pathetic to my mind is how weak minded of a man he clearly is. So easily swayed by simple, and in many case factually wrong, ideas.  

And the fact that he basically radicalized himself is pretty hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/05/teslas-self-driving-claims-subject-to-federal-securities-and-wire-fraud-probe/

There's more bad news for Tesla. On Monday, we learned that CEO Elon Musk is continuing to slash his way through the company payroll as Tesla went through a fourth round of layoffs in four weeks. Yesterday, we discovered exactly what questions the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wants answered about the safety of Tesla's Autopilot driver assist. And today, it emerged that the US Department of Justice is investigating whether or not Tesla committed securities or wire fraud by making misleading statements about Autopilot and its so-called "Full Self-Driving" (FSD) option.

Reuters reported that three people familiar with the matter told it about the investigation. One of the sources also told Reuters that the Securities and Exchange Commission is also investigating Tesla's claims about its driver assists.

This isn't the first time Tesla has been accused of securities fraud. In 2018, Musk agreed to a settlement with the SEC over his infamous "funding secured" tweet that sent the company's share price skyrocketing despite the fact that there was never actually a possibility that he would take the company private. As a result, Musk was required to step down as chairman, and both Musk and Tesla were ordered to pay $20 million in penalties, to be distributed to investors who lost money after being misled by Musk.

(However, a federal jury in 2023 sided with the CEO in a class-action lawsuit brought by investors.)

In another case, several Tesla owners filed a class-action lawsuit against the car company about "grossly exaggerated" range claims, alleging fraud and false advertising. The judge in that case ruled that the customers could not sue Tesla as a class, telling them instead that they had to pursue their cases individually via arbitration. We learned last October that the DOJ was also investigating the matter.

(Authorities in South Korea fined Tesla $2.2 million in January 2023 for misleading customers about range.)

Spoiler

Federal prosecutors first became interested in "whether Tesla misled consumers, investors, and regulators by making unsupported claims about its driver assistance technology's capabilities" in 2022. Critics have regularly pointed out that even the name "Autopilot" is misleading, and there have been multiple instances of Musk demonstrating the system on camera without keeping his hands on the steering wheel, despite other Tesla literature that states drivers must do so at all times.

The CEO has also regularly claimed that Tesla is far ahead of the rest of the industry in autonomous driving technology, issuing deadlines for full autonomy that, like most of Musk's deadlines, have come and gone without delivering the product.

Yet a wrongful death lawsuit—settled out of court by Tesla in April, thereby avoiding a trial—revealed that a widely viewed Autopilot demonstration in 2016 was not only staged but that this deception was overseen by Musk himself, who wrote in an email, "I will be telling the world that this is what the car *will* be able to do, not that it can do this upon receipt."

In fact, the video never makes this clear at all. Instead, it opens with white text on a black background that tells the viewer, "The person in the driver's seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself."

Claims by Tesla that its Autosteer function reduced crashes by 40 percent—a stat uncritically touted by NHTSA for several years—fell apart in 2019 when an independent review found that the data actually showed that Autosteer increased crash rates by 59 percent.

Last year, a whistleblower leaked a trove of Tesla documents to the German publication Handlesblatt, which revealed, among other things, that Tesla maintained a team to divert customer complaints, particularly about its driver assists. The team had instructions to only communicate with customers about problems verbally instead of leaving a paper trail. The whistleblower has since said he leaked the documents because he saw "serious lapses" in Autopilot safety.

Both Autopilot and FSD have been subject to massive recalls, most recently in December 2023, when Tesla had to recall more than 2 million cars to fix a number of flaws highlighted by NHTSA. But the regulator is not satisfied with that most recent recall and has demanded answers from Tesla about the cars it was applied to and the decision-making that occurred leading up to the recall.

“Balls to the wall”

However, the partially automated driving systems remain critically important to Tesla, particularly FSD. In April, the company dropped the price of this controversial option by $4,000, and Musk recently told his followers that "[g]oing balls to the wall for autonomy is a blindingly obvious move." As Tesla's profit margins and sales shrink, the revenue brought in by FSD is becoming increasingly important to the company's bottom line, even though not all of it can be recognized currently.

There is no guarantee that prosecutors will charge Tesla with fraud. Neither "puffery" nor "corporate optimism" counts as fraud, according to US courts, and the DOJ would need to prove that Tesla knew its claims were untrue. As we saw last year, relying on Musk's social media posts probably won't work, but the prosecutors have subpoenaed what Reuters described as "voluminous documents" from the automaker.

Although Tesla has no press office to call for comment, in its recently released 10-Q, it stated that "[t]o our knowledge, no government agency in any ongoing investigation has concluded that any wrongdoing occurred."

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/05/teslas-self-driving-claims-subject-to-federal-securities-and-wire-fraud-probe/

Reveal hidden contents

Federal prosecutors first became interested in "whether Tesla misled consumers, investors, and regulators by making unsupported claims about its driver assistance technology's capabilities" in 2022. Critics have regularly pointed out that even the name "Autopilot" is misleading, and there have been multiple instances of Musk demonstrating the system on camera without keeping his hands on the steering wheel, despite other Tesla literature that states drivers must do so at all times.

The CEO has also regularly claimed that Tesla is far ahead of the rest of the industry in autonomous driving technology, issuing deadlines for full autonomy that, like most of Musk's deadlines, have come and gone without delivering the product.

Yet a wrongful death lawsuit—settled out of court by Tesla in April, thereby avoiding a trial—revealed that a widely viewed Autopilot demonstration in 2016 was not only staged but that this deception was overseen by Musk himself, who wrote in an email, "I will be telling the world that this is what the car *will* be able to do, not that it can do this upon receipt."

In fact, the video never makes this clear at all. Instead, it opens with white text on a black background that tells the viewer, "The person in the driver's seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself."

Claims by Tesla that its Autosteer function reduced crashes by 40 percent—a stat uncritically touted by NHTSA for several years—fell apart in 2019 when an independent review found that the data actually showed that Autosteer increased crash rates by 59 percent.

Last year, a whistleblower leaked a trove of Tesla documents to the German publication Handlesblatt, which revealed, among other things, that Tesla maintained a team to divert customer complaints, particularly about its driver assists. The team had instructions to only communicate with customers about problems verbally instead of leaving a paper trail. The whistleblower has since said he leaked the documents because he saw "serious lapses" in Autopilot safety.

Both Autopilot and FSD have been subject to massive recalls, most recently in December 2023, when Tesla had to recall more than 2 million cars to fix a number of flaws highlighted by NHTSA. But the regulator is not satisfied with that most recent recall and has demanded answers from Tesla about the cars it was applied to and the decision-making that occurred leading up to the recall.

“Balls to the wall”

However, the partially automated driving systems remain critically important to Tesla, particularly FSD. In April, the company dropped the price of this controversial option by $4,000, and Musk recently told his followers that "[g]oing balls to the wall for autonomy is a blindingly obvious move." As Tesla's profit margins and sales shrink, the revenue brought in by FSD is becoming increasingly important to the company's bottom line, even though not all of it can be recognized currently.

There is no guarantee that prosecutors will charge Tesla with fraud. Neither "puffery" nor "corporate optimism" counts as fraud, according to US courts, and the DOJ would need to prove that Tesla knew its claims were untrue. As we saw last year, relying on Musk's social media posts probably won't work, but the prosecutors have subpoenaed what Reuters described as "voluminous documents" from the automaker.

Although Tesla has no press office to call for comment, in its recently released 10-Q, it stated that "[t]o our knowledge, no government agency in any ongoing investigation has concluded that any wrongdoing occurred."

image.png.bbb7d5df97948d9b559299bc139a5966.png

Quite the fitting image for any Tesla article since every Elon fanboi wants ....

Xn9Y2aO.gif.10f694bab753cb5f9d5305626ef340cd.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3