Super Bowl Treats and Food --What we making?

We're having one family over that is interested in watching the game because we don't feel like going to a big party across the street that is more about socializing.

Everyone in our family (5 of us) is picking 1 thing to make and they are on the hook to execute (aside from going to the store).

My 7 year old son has become quite the guacamole maker, to the point he will randomly start cutting and scooping/smashing an avocado on a Tuesday after school to start making a snack.  He does the whole thing himself, down to cutting and squeezing the lime and being very particular about the right salt/pepper ratio.  So that's his food.

My 9 year old son found a Pepperoni pull apart pizza bread recipe online that looked good.  I don't think it's this one, but similar. https://thecookinchicks.com/pull-apart-pizza-bread/

Not sure what the 12 year old boy will make.  His specialties are making cookies and frying eggs.  I'm guessing he'll go with cookies, or maybe branch out and try something different.

I'm going easy and making some tuna poke.  We've had plantain chips sitting in the pantry for 2 months, so this will scratch my itch of using an existing item that is just taking up space as well as making something lighter.

Wife hasn't completely decided, but my guess is her famous black bean salsa.  Black beans, roasted corn, tomatoes, red bell peppers, jalapenos, avocado, lime juice, cilantro, salt/pepper.  It's a crowd pleaser.

Then I assume on Sunday I'll say "fuck it" and go buy some ribs and whatever else looks good to throw on the various grilling/smoking equipment because it's the damn Super Bowl and leftovers are good.

Family we're having over likes to cook and the wife is Korean, so fingers crossed some bulgogi will make an appearance.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

i was trying to decide what to do, at this point i think i'm either going to smoke beef ribs or a brisket. as far as i know not going to try and host a big group but that gives great meal + leftovers + some i can freeze for a rainy day.

• Hook 'Em 1

The keys to great sausage balls are in avoiding the dreaded Bisquick dry hard scone effect, while getting moistness without excessive greasiness.

Jimmy Dean hot of course. The cheese should be freshly grated as the preshredded stuff has anticaking agents that can fuck up your balls. I like chopped onions or green onions and jalapeños in mine. I also add some cream cheese for a moister product.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This is one of the best pulled pork dishes I've ever had.  Originally saw it published ~10 years ago and have made it for multiple kids birthday parties when they were young.  I did it in a dutch oven on the stove, but I assume in a slow cooker would also work.

https://edibleaustin.com/recipes/jack-gilmores-everything-we-need-right-here-carnitas/

Just now, Texzilla58 said:

The keys to great sausage balls are in avoiding the dreaded Bisquick dry hard scone effect, while getting moistness without excessive greasiness.

Jimmy Dean hot of course. The cheese should be freshly grated as the preshredded stuff has anticaking agents that can fuck up your balls. I like chopped onions or green onions and jalapeños in mine. I also add some cream cheese for a moister product.

Nothing worse than dry balls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

We're having one family over that is interested in watching the game because we don't feel like going to a big party across the street that is more about socializing.
Everyone in our family (5 of us) is picking 1 thing to make and they are on the hook to execute (aside from going to the store).
My 7 year old son has become quite the guacamole maker, to the point he will randomly start cutting and scooping/smashing an avocado on a Tuesday after school to start making a snack.  He does the whole thing himself, down to cutting and squeezing the lime and being very particular about the right salt/pepper ratio.  So that's his food.
My 9 year old son found a Pepperoni pull apart pizza bread recipe online that looked good.  I don't think it's this one, but similar. https://thecookinchicks.com/pull-apart-pizza-bread/
Not sure what the 12 year old boy will make.  His specialties are making cookies and frying eggs.  I'm guessing he'll go with cookies, or maybe branch out and try something different.
I'm going easy and making some tuna poke.  We've had plantain chips sitting in the pantry for 2 months, so this will scratch my itch of using an existing item that is just taking up space as well as making something lighter.
Wife hasn't completely decided, but my guess is her famous black bean salsa.  Black beans, roasted corn, tomatoes, red bell peppers, jalapenos, avocado, lime juice, cilantro, salt/pepper.  It's a crowd pleaser.
Then I assume on Sunday I'll say "fuck it" and go buy some ribs and whatever else looks good to throw on the various grilling/smoking equipment because it's the damn Super Bowl and leftovers are good.
Family we're having over likes to cook and the wife is Korean, so fingers crossed some bulgogi will make an appearance.

I like the everyone plays strategery.

I went to a family thing and the black bean salsa had replaced the avocado with chopped mango and it was tits. She made a huge batch for snacking on later and didn’t want brown yucky avocado fucking shit up. She had guac anyway, which she made in small batches to again avoid the black shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

We are doing Kansas City-style burnt ends as an appetizer and a sesame chicken dish as the main course via a recipe that is supposed to mimic the sesame chicken at House of Nanking in San Francisco.  Also Kansas City area vs. Bay area beers will be consumed.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

This is one of the best pulled pork dishes I've ever had.  Originally saw it published ~10 years ago and have made it for multiple kids birthday parties when they were young.  I did it in a dutch oven on the stove, but I assume in a slow cooker would also work.

https://edibleaustin.com/recipes/jack-gilmores-everything-we-need-right-here-carnitas/

Nothing worse than dry balls.

image.jpeg.65f42163e2555012e4f19ed33130c641.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 2/8/2024 at 11:01 AM, South Austin said:

I'm also going to try some sausage balls (never made before).  I'm also making a spicy pimento grilled cheese sandwich with bacon.  Oh, and some sort of adult beverage to celebrate the end of a dry January that extended into February.

Lots of recipes out there. I like this one:  I use pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar.  Cream cheese softens them up some; you can take it or leave it.  I also use hot sausage. 

Ingredients:

Edited by DallasSooner
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I'll have to try the cheddar bay mix.  As it is, I keep it really simple.  Roll of spicy jimmy Dean, package of shredded sharp cheddar, and a packed cup of  bisquick.  My biggest piece of advice is that it has to be spicy pork.  I've tried the regular and there simply isn't enough flavor there.

making chili, way too much of it for the 4 adults that will be over but I like having it in the freezer. This means Cornbread with cheese and corn and chili in it. Fried Pickle Dip, Store bought Pigs in a Blanket, a couple Armadillo Eggs for good measure and old mans favorite snack item....Broiled Summer Sausage slices with a dollup on hot mango chutney on them. They are amazing, sweet, savory, acid, fat, everything all at once.  My buddy coming over will lilly make some Focaccia as well. 

no sweet treats unless you call Bourbon a sweet treat.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/8/2024 at 12:23 PM, mdleast said:

recipe that is supposed to mimic the sesame chicken at House of Nanking in San Francisco

Link?

Pos rep for the Red Lobster Biscuit mix instead of Bisquick for the sausage balls.

The kids want chili dogs, so I'll make the chili, and we'll have guac, queso, and pico. It's just the four of us, and I want everything to be ready and self-serve.

• Like 1

Bought some pizza dough at the local pizza place and gonna make a couple at home tonight. One will be goat cheese, fig, and prosciutto, with fig infused balsamic. That's our fancy one. The other will be Canadian bacon and pineapple, which is what Mrs Mo asked for. 

Smoked the jap poppers before finishing in the oven. I stuffed a couple of them with some leftover pulled pork I had. It was a little too decadent but I’m not complaining. Ribs come off in the next half hour or so. That Craig’s sauce is the shit on ribs and chicken btw. 

IMG_4497.jpeg

IMG_4499.jpeg

IMG_4501.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

As planned, Kansas City-style burnt ends as the appetizer

24783e1a829e0795859c007f26263d79.jpg

Followed by the clone recipe we found for sesame chicken ala San Francisco’s House of Nanking (delicious!)

14911369a8aaf396c2f2067975ca9d93.jpg

My wife also made a cookie cake for the group. The sketchy icing job on the team names is my fault

9262843237de5bcc85fe47e3b1fcb138.jpg

Plus there were Kansas City area and Bay area beers consumed

ecbabb47a0fd6dbc4b06ba2a25de5ab3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2