You're Tall And Fat!

TOR

Mr. Melon, your wife was just showing us her Klimt.

You too, huh? She's shown it to everybody.

Well, she's very proud of it.

I'm proud of mine too. I don't go waving it around at parties, though.

It's an exceptional painting.

Oh, the painting.

• Haha 3

Oh, you left out a bunch of stuff.  First of all, you're going to have to grease the local politicians for the sudden zoning problems that always come up. Then, there's the kickbacks to the carpenters, and if you plan on using any cement in this building I'm sure the teamsters would like to have a little chat with ya. And that'll cost ya. Oh... and don't forget a little something for the building inspectors! Then there's long term costs such as waste disposal. I don't know if you're familiar with who runs that business, but I assure you it's not the Boy Scouts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Oh, you left out a bunch of stuff.  First of all, you're going to have to grease the local politicians for the sudden zoning problems that always come up. Then, there's the kickbacks to the carpenters, and if you plan on using any cement in this building I'm sure the teamsters would like to have a little chat with ya. And that'll cost ya. Oh... and don't forget a little something for the building inspectors! Then there's long term costs such as waste disposal. I don't know if you're familiar with who runs that business, but I assure you it's not the Boy Scouts.

And now, where to produce our widgets....

How about Fantasy Land?

• Haha 3

Hey, take it easy, will ya? I mean, the war's over. Get new parts for your head.

Yeah? Wanna make something of it?

Oh, no, no. I never get physical. I just get upset. And when I get upset...

[points at Lou]  HE gets physical.

[Lou takes a metal napkin holder and crushes it with one hand] 

[stepping up to the player]  You got a problem?

No. I haven't got a problem.

Well, now you do.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

and ANOTHER thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the check!

I was too young when I saw this to understand the cameo. Later in life, rewatching, ... "Holy shit, it's Kurt Vonnegut!"

• Hook 'Em 3

You remember that little thing we had about 30 years back, called the Korean conflict? And how we failed to achieve victory? How come we didn’t cross the 38th Parallel and push those rice eaters back to the Great Wall of China? Then take the fucking wall apart brick by by brick, and nuke them back into the fucking Stone Age forever!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

You remember that little thing we had about 30 years back, called the Korean conflict? And how we failed to achieve victory? How come we didn’t cross the 38th Parallel and push those rice eaters back to the Great Wall of China? Then take the fucking wall apart brick by by brick, and nuke them back into the fucking Stone Age forever!

Because Truman was too much of a pussy wimp to let Mac Arthur go in there and blow up those commie bastards!

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The written word really doesn’t do that scene justice 

P.S.  I have crushed on the brunette with the oral fixation behind Rodney for damn near 40 years now.  That is in no way depressing.  Well a little.

Tucker Carlson? Whatever floats your boat. 

Screenshot_20240213_201555_Kiwi Browser.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

The written word really doesn’t do that scene justice 

P.S.  I have crushed on the brunette with the oral fixation behind Rodney for damn near 40 years now.  That is in no way depressing.  Well a little.

I came back later and went through those RottenTomatoes reviews, to see if there were any contemporary reviews. And there were at least two of note: Ebert, and Nina Darnton (NYTimes). Both were very positive.

But it's a somewhat more recent review (~2006) from Empire magazine that describes this scene perfectly: "Unlike many other star comedians, Dangerfield – who wrote the storyline -- isn’t afraid to let anyone else be funny in his vehicles."

• Like 1

Dean Martin, great speech! Nothing like good, clean business, huh?

And a little monkey business!

Ah, Philip! I'm so glad you could make it. Mr. Melon, I'd like you to meet Dr. Philip Barbay.

I want it on record that I'm totally against this. I don't think that selling admission to an unqualified student is very ethical or honorable.

Oh, right, Phil, but I'd just like to say in all fairness to Mr. Melon, it was a really big check.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi there. Are you a large person? Pleasantly plump? A little on the hefty side, perhaps? Well, let's face it: Are you FAT? When you go jogging, do you leave pot-holes? When you make love, do you have to give directions? At the zoo, do the elephants throw YOU peanuts? Do you look at a menu and say 'OK'? Well, now, you can eat all you want, because at Thornton Melon's "Tall & Fat" stores, we've got you covered. That's right. Fine woolen, and woolen-blend suits and sport coats, in all the larger sizes - husky, stout, extra-stout, and the new Hindenburg line. And for you ladies we have caftans, muumuus, and our own exclusive A-frame in all colors and patterns. Yes, we have miles and miles of fabric. So take it from me, Thornton Melon, if you want to look thin, you hang out with fat people

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw Daingerfield do his act in the Performing Arts Center, in ‘83 or ‘84. It was 90 minutes of a non-stop, fast paced barrage of jokes. There was no waiting for the laughter to subside before starting the next one. My sides ached when it was over. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If ya' like Rodney, try Easy Money also.  If nothing else, the ending is funny as chit.

Easy Money is great but I don’t think it is as quotable as Back to School. However both of these movies are an auto-stop when I come across them while channel surfing.

Edit: Rose, there’s a Messerschmidtt in the kitchen. Clean it up, will ya?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 10:36 AM, Eskimohorn said:

I’ve never been able to find a “You’re perfect!” gif (re: sorority shower scene)

On 3/14/2024 at 12:12 PM, Red Five said:

b95ece52-073d-445e-b842-55298ff02e20_tex

Getyarn has everything.