Racism (and stupidity) in Odessa?

Nice Guy Eddie

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/07/17/texas-server-says-patron-called-him-terrorist-on-receipt-left-no-tip-this-hatred-still-exists.html

Saltgrass waiter named Khalil received $0 tip and had "we don't tip terrorists" written on the receipt.  The guy isn't even Middle Eastern or Muslim but rather his dad in the military named him after a fallen soldier.

The kid was also too nice to post the customer's name.

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The comments at the bottom are mostly, uh, unsurprising.

Plot twist, the server isn't a Democrat, he believes in God and has a job. The customers were liberal bigots probably saw a cross or something.

FAKE! The server definitely wrote that or had someone write that. Outrageous and unbelievable stuff like this is nearly ALWAYS proven to be fake.

"This hatred still exists..." Well to be fair, middle eastern terrorists not only still exist, but have greatly increased in the past two decades.

The diners were probably some of Sheila Jackson Lee's staff.

Jesus.  What if the problem with democracy is democracy?  What if our population inherently will always be made up of more easily manipulable retards than thoughtful people?  

• Like 1

Well yeah, the problem with democracy and its approximations like ours is morons. There are lots and lots of morons. That's been known for centuries.

The problem with dictatorships is dictators, the problem with monarchies is monarchs, etc. The problem with any form of governance is selfishness on the part of those who govern.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

Anybody ever been a waiter will get at least one turd-table a day, it's the Restaurant-Importance Effect where people with no power take it out on the server.

You run their bill as fast as you can so you refill their table with other people with no power who cope by being generous to the server.

On the upside, the economy is good enough that somebody who doesn't know there is an "s" in "terrorists" could go drop 100 bucks for somebody else to flip a steak.

45 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

america is full of pure scum

Dude..... we aren't perfect by any stretch and there are shitbags of all race, creed and gender in this country..... but you think THIS is bad? I was in budapest last October on a guys trip and four of us walked into a club just off the Danube river. They were not about to let my buddy in because he was black and they expressed that he could be a terrorist from east africa. After I calmed down, I showed the dude my buddies passport and assured him he wasn't a terrorist. After the guy finally relented, I told him to go fuck himself and that we'd spend our money elsewhere. 

Leaving a crappy note and no tip is a Shitty thing to do...... but not letting a guy into a club because he could be an east African terrorist??? Whole other level. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/17/2018 at 1:33 PM, bad_teammate said:

america is full of pure scum

Yep...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/07/19/we-dont-tip-terrorist-texas-restaurant-bans-customer-who-left-racist-note-to-waiter/?utm_term=.856b1b51dd46

After further investigation, we have learned that our employee fabricated the entire story. The customer has been contacted and invited back to our restaurant to dine on us. Racism of any form is intolerable, and we will always act swiftly should it occur in any of our establishments.  Falsely accusing someone of racism is equaling disturbing.”

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/nation-world/texas-waiter-made-up-racist-note-story-saltgrass-coo-says/507-576798091

After the company's statement was released, Kavil admitted to the Odessa American that he wrote the note himself and apologized to their reporter "because I did lie to you."

"I don't have an explanation. I made a mistake. There is no excuse for what I did," Kavil told the Odessa America.

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'll tell you a true story. I live in a diverse neighborhood. I had a pair of shitty neighbors who were bad dog owners. They didn't train them. The dogs barked at everything and everyone. Every time they took them outside they would bark just as a matter of course. If there was another person or animal within sight, it would be even worse. They would never do anything to stop the barking other than to say "no" and then just let them bark. 

It was an old lady and her skanky daughter. One day the daughter pointed at some people out walking and told me that she came across them while she was walking her dog and her dog kept barking at them. She said she told them her dog barks at terrorists. They were Indian. 

She also once told me, and I quote, "Mexicans are stupid. Not all of them, but most of them."

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'll tell you a true story. I live in a diverse neighborhood. I had a pair of shitty neighbors who were bad dog owners. They didn't train them. The dogs barked at everything and everyone. Every time they took them outside they would bark just as a matter of course. If there was another person or animal within sight, it would be even worse. They would never do anything to stop the barking other than to say "no" and then just let them bark. 

It was an old lady and her skanky daughter. One day the daughter pointed at some people out walking and told me that she came across them while she was walking her dog and her dog kept barking at them. She said she told them her dog barks at terrorists. They were Indian. 

She also once told me, and I quote, "Mexicans are stupid. Not all of them, but most of them."

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-sta

• Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

FAKE! The server definitely wrote that or had someone write that. Outrageous and unbelievable stuff like this is nearly ALWAYS proven to be fake.

And we have a winner!

• Like 2

lol

“After further investigation, we have learned that our employee fabricated the entire story," Terry Turney, COO of Saltgrass said in a statement to USA TODAY. "The customer has been contacted and invited back to our restaurant to dine on us. Racism of any form is intolerable, and we will always act swiftly should it occur in any of our establishments. Falsely accusing someone of racism is equally disturbing.”

Cavil has admitted to faking the story, the Odessa American reports. 

“I’m sorry," Cavil told the newspaper. "I deeply made a huge, big mistake. And I’m in the process of getting the help that I need."

Ahh, nothing like the smell of fake news in the morning.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 1:18 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/07/17/texas-server-says-patron-called-him-terrorist-on-receipt-left-no-tip-this-hatred-still-exists.html

Saltgrass waiter named Khalil received $0 tip and had "we don't tip terrorists" written on the receipt.  The guy isn't even Middle Eastern or Muslim but rather his dad in the military named him after a fallen soldier.

The kid was also too nice to post the customer's name.

He sure was, wasn't he?

The comments with the link are awesome.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Fuckheads like this kid are infuriating because this crap can cast doubt on actual awful behavior. There’s enough awful shit in the world, you don’t have to make it up.

Ok I guess you do if you want to be internet famous and have a GoFundMe page started for you for no legitimate reason.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

lol

Ahh, nothing like the smell of fake news in the morning.

You have a phd; don't be so stupid.  The news reported what the kid alleged.  That's accurate, not fake.  The kid just ended up being a liar, which is ironic since it's Fox News in the OP's link.  

What if the waiter is an actual terrorist? Let's just say he was wearing a suicide bomb vest when he dropped off your medium NY Strip that was supposed to be medium-rare.  Should you tip, say, 10%? Or is zero tip justified?

If such an egregious act of shittiness and hatred took place, I would hope that the waiter would follow that person to the door or into the parking lot and make a scene. Not sigh and wait to whine about it on Facebook or the local news. You have to call this shit out immediately. I mean shit I had a waitress make a scene once when I tipped "$0" because the table had a miscommunication and I thought other folks had covered the tip in cash (they hasn't put anything down).

Somebody gives you $0 tip AND writes hateful shit on the receipt, you put their shit on blast right there so everyone can see. After you do that, if you also want to Instagram it or whatever, that's fine too.

I know it's the custom these days, but I am immediately skeptical when people reveal this stuff by way of some big social media post. 

3 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

What if the waiter is an actual terrorist? Let's just say he was wearing a suicide bomb vest when he dropped off your medium NY Strip that was supposed to be medium-rare.  Should you tip, say, 10%? Or is zero tip justified?

Ugh, I somehow misread this. Nm.

Edited by wildcat09

7 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

You have a phd; don't be so stupid.  The news reported what the kid alleged.  That's accurate, not fake.  The kid just ended up being a liar, which is ironic since it's Fox News in the OP's link.  

Uh, you're the stupid one if you think that's how the news is supposed to work.  A story needs to be vetted before being reported as true. The Odessa station reported it but the news outlets were in such a fucking rush to get this out that they didn't research it and reported it as fact.

If some mom alleged you diddled her kid, you think the news "just reporting what the kid alleged" is excusable?  Great, fucking good luck then, mister.

They fucked up, period.  Although in one small sentence in the story the word "alleged: was used, the narrative proceeds clearly as if it happened, and no indication offered that this was left to be determined.  It was a fait accompli.  That's not how "journalism" works, but your error in part is understandable, for today very, very few media outlets practice "journalism."

Nevertheless, your take on this is completely lameass, but at least you have a good run of fiction going.  You obviously demonstrate little capacity to determine relative stupidity.

It's fake news.  But defend it anyway.  LOL!tiv

10 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Yea, no harm reporting a fake story...

fantastic_lies.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediuml

• Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Uh, you're the stupid one if you think that's how the news is supposed to work.  A story needs to be vetted before being reported as true. The Odessa station reported it but the news outlets were in such a fucking rush to get this out that they didn't research it and reported it as fact.

If some mom alleged you diddled her kid, you think the news "just reporting what the kid alleged" is excusable?  Great, fucking good luck then, mister.

They fucked up, period.  Although in one small sentence in the story the word "alleged: was used, the narrative proceeds clearly as if it happened, and no indication offered that this was left to be determined.  It was a fait accompli.  That's not how "journalism" works, but your error in part is understandable, for today very, very few media outlets practice "journalism."

Nevertheless, your take on this is completely lameass, but at least you have a good run of fiction going.  You obviously demonstrate little capacity to determine relative stupidity.

It's fake news.  But defend it anyway.  LOL!tiv

From Fox News:

"A young restaurant server in Texas says . . . ."

"According to . . . Cavil . . . ."

From WaPo:

"The customers apparently . . . ."

"Cavil . . . said . . . ."

If reading comprehension isn't your thing, that's okay I guess.  But both articles only report what was alleged by the server and are clear that they are the server's statements/allegations.  They do not report the story as having been confirmed.  Your inability to understand that nuance is on you and does not make them fake news.  

By your standard, any time a news outlet reports any allegations that ultimately end up to be untrue or unconfirmed qualify as fake news.  That is just plain stupid.