DeShon Elliott has a message for Tom Herman

Bruh Man

5 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

Yep, the program began to rot slowly with the horrible recruiting classes right after winning the NC.  Especially that recruiting class that had the DB that got in trouble from Port Arthur.

Because of that Mack Brown relied heavily the small but great recruiting class that included Colt, and Jamaal Charles. And when Colt and that small but great recruiting class graduated was when the the entire foundation became completely rotted because those recruiting classes Mack signed right after winning the NC were for the most part horrible. Because of that Texas has been mediocre for almost a Decade.

Robert Joseph. I think was the worst thing to happen to the program in decades. He not only created a thuggish clique in the locker room, but after he got the boot, Mack quit recruiting guys from the 'hood and focused more on suburban programs outside of Dallas and Houston and the Friday Night Lights TV show bunch from exurban Austin and Fort Worth. 

I don't know if that's his exact thought process, but it's damn certain that his recruiting fell off a cliff around that time. We became a team of milk and cookie boys, whereas before that, there were plenty of hardcore dudes on the team to balance out the nice guys. 

As VY put it at a pre-NCG press conference, he wasn't scared of USC because there were plenty of players on our roster who were just as gangsta as they were. 

9 hours ago, elnimo said:

I'm surprised that he waited until now to say something given how much time has passed.

If Herman made an effort to actively sandbag DeShon and the other players that left early with the NFL scouts, then that's pretty low and petty.  I don't think Herman is that big of a dick.  But maybe he is.    

yip.  which is it?

Mack left Strong with a steaming pile of dog shit and he accomplished much more than Strong or Herman (at least so far). Both these things can be true. 

After the 2009 season Mack went to complete shit but winning a national title, 13 top 25 finishes, 6 top 10 finishes, and 3 BCS wins is still pretty damn impressive. My biggest gripe with Mack was always the lack of Big 12 titles but bottom line is Strong and Herman can't hold Mack's jock strap at this point in their careers. 

The way Mack left things kind of distorted what Mack accomplished. I think any Texas fan would run back the Mack era if we got the same results. Even if it included the downward spiral in '09. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Mack quit recruiting guys from the 'hood ... 

I don't know if that's his exact thought process, 

It definitely was. He said as much.  It wasn’t just Robert Joseph, many many of his players got into lots of trouble and it took a toll on him. Brought a lot of shame to him, his family, friends, peers and last but not least, the legacy he was going to leave. 

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

yip.  which is it?

All coaches are selfish to some degree. They are gonna do what suits them. I've experience this in my own athletic career (which didn't go beyond high school). 

Some of them are better at gaming this system than others. I can't imagine Mack getting caught badmouthing his players to NFL scouts. And while it's not certain that is what happened in this case, there's the Caesar's Wife dictum: head coaches should be above suspicion about crap like this. Maybe Mack would have been more of an asshole about it if more of his players left early -- and that was part of his genius: few of his guys did go pro compared to other schools. (Guess it was Sally's cookies and all the lemon slices.)

But college football coaches are always running a calculus of: "How much do I need this guy right now, or next year?" vs. "I need to show recruits that I can put dudes in the NFL, so that more of them will want to come here."

I don't believe that the player's best interest is given much account in either of those scenarios. 

3 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

It definitely was. He said as much.  It wasn’t just Robert Joseph, many many of his players got into lots of trouble and it took a toll on him. Brought a lot of shame to him, his family, friends, peers and last but not least, the legacy he was going to leave. 

Yep, before that the only guy that would always get in trouble was Cedric Benson.

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Robert Joseph. I think was the worst thing to happen to the program in decades. He not only created a thuggish clique in the locker room, but after he got the boot, Mack quit recruiting guys from the 'hood and focused more on suburban programs outside of Dallas and Houston and the Friday Night Lights TV show bunch from exurban Austin and Fort Worth. 

I don't know if that's his exact thought process, but it's damn certain that his recruiting fell off a cliff around that time. We became a team of milk and cookie boys, whereas before that, there were plenty of hardcore dudes on the team to balance out the nice guys. 

As VY put it at a pre-NCG press conference, he wasn't scared of USC because there were plenty of players on our roster who were just as gangsta as they were. 

I think he recruited a lot of "gangsta" kids still they were just gangsta retarded instead of tough

he did recruit some softer kids though like Trey Newton (that is an overall good person, but did not belong on the UT team) and I can't believe they even offered Riley Dodge (that was in no way shape or form a UT QB or player or even a P5 recruit or player), but it just shows how lazy Mack had gotten with recruiting

I have always believed that with new coaches taking over at Florida, Alabama, LSU and other places that shit head Texas HS coaches (there are a shit tonne of them) started dumping soft as fuck and troubled players on Mack because it was just so easy and because they wanted to build some bridges with other programs for the purposes of job offers or to build their ego as a coach that gets a lot of players major college offers

why send your best and toughest players to Mack when you know there will probably be no offensive coaching positions opening up and the defense can get coaches from places like Auburn not from high school programs.....all the more so when Mack will take those soft as fuck and dumb as shit players and thank you for them and praise you and come back for more the next year

that combined with Texas having no offensive system ever and getting the recruiting for offense so fucked up there was not any system to build around the players really cost Mack......you look at the OLine players, the running backs and the QBs Vs the offenses that Texas tried to run and you could not get worse personnel matches if you actually tried to

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You've been constantly bitching about how the "team hates Herman" when this exact same shit happened with a lot of Mack Brown players while Strong was the coach. 

I dare you to pull up the posts. It should be easy since I constantly do it....smh.

2 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

Yep, before that the only guy that would always get in trouble was Cedric Benson.

There was that flare-up before the 2000 Cotton Bowl. We lost a bunch of key starters to some kind of foolishness on New Year's Eve in Dallas, and then got whooped by piggy the next day.

And we had Brock Edwards, really talented TE from some private school in FW who got booted from the team too. He was a stud...But he seemed to be the guy that launched the Texas TE Curse. (Thomas and Finley excepted.)

36 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I dare you to pull up the posts. It should be easy since I constantly do it....smh.

I'm too lazy to find all the threads/posts on Shaggy but yeah you've been bitching constantly. You were constantly running with these same narratives in the Chip Brown/Buechele threads about how players hated Herman. To say you've been "fair" is complete bullshit. Anytime there's even a remotely negative report (even when it's from a shitty source like Chip Brown) you jump in on these narratives. 

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/160037-Texas-Recruiting-Notes-2018-Edition/page684

"Playing favorites and not acknowledging players in the hallway all while professing that your staff loves on your players more than any staff in the country is kinda $#@!ed up. Many of us accepted Herman's $#@!ish ways b/c we assumed it would be masked over by a lot of winning. Losing while being a hard-ass is a problem."

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Mackovic was strange in that he turned a shitty program around, made it respectable again, then fizzled out abysmally, but nevertheless left it better than he found it. 

Charlie inherited a program that had rotted to the core, slowly but surely stocked it with talent, but had shitty results on the field. He also left the program in better shape than when he got it. 

Mack's arc was to walk into a loaded cupboard, recruit really well, underachieve for about five years, take us to the mountaintop for another five, then drag us through the briar patch for the last five. It's a really weird arc. Second-best coach in UT history and the worst coach in UT history -- Mack somehow managed to be both. 

Lol 9-3 then 2, 11 win seasons as “underachieving”. Man I want those underachieving days back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Lol 9-3 then 2, 11 win seasons as “underachieving”. Man I want those underachieving days back.

Fucking glory years.

Early seasons
In his early years at UT, Mack Brown was sometimes referred to as "Coach February", a nickname that indicated he performed well during the important recruiting season, but failed to follow up with equally impressive wins on the field.[5] His detractors felt that with all the resources at his disposal at Texas, combined with the talent he was recruiting from high school programs, that he should have more to show for it than appearances in the Holiday Bowl or Cotton Bowl Classic. They felt that he should be playing for Big 12 titles or even National Championships instead.

In five of the first eight seasons under Brown, the Longhorns were all but eliminated from either of these two goals due to losses in October to Big 12 rival Oklahoma. Since the two teams played in the same division of the Big 12, a loss by Texas to Oklahoma means that Texas could not win the south half of the conference unless Oklahoma lost at least two conference games. Brown did however lead the University of Texas to its second Big 12 Conference Championship game only to lose to a higher ranked Nebraska team which they had beaten earlier in the year. He also took the Longhorns to the 2001 Big 12 title game. In that year's campaign, the Longhorns lost to the Sooners but were given another chance when the Sooners lost to both Nebraska and Oklahoma State. Texas made it to the Big 12 Conference Championship Game, losing to Colorado, a school they had beaten by a substantial margin earlier in the year. Many felt that Texas would have played in the BCS Championship game had they beaten Colorado. A similar opportunity presented itself in 2002. After Oklahoma beat Texas, they lost to Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. However, Texas had suffered a loss to Texas Tech so they did not make the championship game.

In 2003, Texas finished the regular season with a 10-2 regular season record and most observers felt they had the resume to reach their first BCS bowl under Brown. However, when South Champion (and #1 ranked) Oklahoma lost to North Champion Kansas State in the Big 12 championship game, Kansas State received the Big 12 conference's automatic BCS bid as conference champion and joined Oklahoma in the BCS. The BCS rules specified that no more than 2 teams from a single conference could go. Texas was frozen out.

Although Brown consistently led the Longhorns to a bowl game to cap off each season, his first six years he was not able to lead them to a Bowl Championship Series game, having to settle each year for the Holiday Bowl or Cotton Bowl Classic. His record in these games was 3 and 3, with two of the 3 losses coming at the hands of supposedly inferior teams as judged by the rankings headed into the games.

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Because Mack left him with an Everest of steaming dog shit. 

No. Because he’s a terrible coach. Terrible. Just like you’re a terrible poster. That you get pos rep on most of your posts makes me weep for the future. 

Anwar and Jane look like assclowns right now. 

Deshon looks like a bitch since he deleted the tweets, it's about a party, and he is getting ready to start his pro career.

CDC shows just how good he is at his job again.  Tweet jackassery starts and by the end of the day, he has mostly put the story to bed.  We are lucky to have him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Strong was extremely polarizing. There's actually a lot of fans that loved him. Most of his recruits/players loved him with the same enthusiasm.

It's why I always knew there would be issues with any coach that followed Strong. Hager's comments yesterday about "never giving Herman a chance and  disliking Herman for no reason" is probably the attitude several players had coming into last year. A lot of players were upset that Strong was fired so there was always going to be resentment for the new guy. 

I was never a Herman guy but all in all I actually think he's done a decent job of managing this situation. This wasn't an easy task to follow Strong with how well liked he was with players. 

I find the comment above about "locker room lawyers" and lack of total buy-in interesting.  I guess what that points to is that perhaps Strong was well-liked, but that pesky win-loss thing kept some players from fully respecting the staff/Strong.

I'm also curious about the party, and, if that story is accurate, whether that reflects a personal animus against Elliott or more "that is an adult party, with adult goings-on, and most of you aren't even 21, so stay the fuck away from that" kind of deal.

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm too lazy to find all the threads/posts on Shaggy but yeah you've been bitching constantly. You were constantly running with these same narratives in the Chip Brown/Buechele threads about how players hated Herman. To say you've been "fair" is complete bullshit. Anytime there's even a remotely negative report (even when it's from a shitty source like Chip Brown) you jump in on these narratives. 

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/160037-Texas-Recruiting-Notes-2018-Edition/page684

"Playing favorites and not acknowledging players in the hallway all while professing that your staff loves on your players more than any staff in the country is kinda $#@!ed up. Many of us accepted Herman's $#@!ish ways b/c we assumed it would be masked over by a lot of winning. Losing while being a hard-ass is a problem."

Sounds like that Charlie Williams character....

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Everything that is great and horrible about Mack be encapsulated by the fact that he was able to win a few key games with Case McCoy as the starting QB. Case couldn't crack the two-deep at Mary Hardin-Baylor, and yet somehow beat the gooners.

And Charlie lost to Kansas when we out athlete them in every position. And Herman lost to Maryland, at home, by double digits. 

But Mack almost lost to KU had VY not converted 4th and 18. We went on to beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl and win the MNC the following year

Verdict: Don't mean shit

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

And Charlie lost to Kansas when we out athlete them in every position. And Herman lost to Maryland, at home, by double digits. 

But Mack almost lost to KU had VY not converted 4th and 18. We went on to beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl and win the MNC the following year

Verdict: Don't mean shit

2 of those things have something in common.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I find the comment above about "locker room lawyers" and lack of total buy-in interesting.  I guess what that points to is that perhaps Strong was well-liked, but that pesky win-loss thing kept some players from fully respecting the staff/Strong.

I'm also curious about the party, and, if that story is accurate, whether that reflects a personal animus against Elliott or more "that is an adult party, with adult goings-on, and most of you aren't even 21, so stay the fuck away from that" kind of deal.

Everything else about this shitfest you can kinda decipher what happened except this. I can't bring myself to give AAS the benefit of the doubt so it probably isn't true or was misconstrued in some way. 

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Charlie inherited a program that had rotted to the core, slowly but surely stocked it with talent, but had shitty results on the field. He also left the program in better shape than when he got it.  

The Texas program was never rotten to the core until Strong lost to Kansas.  It was a maggot filled bag of pus that Saturday and the players that participated in that "effort" threatened to boycott the TCU game just because everyone knew Strong was done.  The stench of that rot is still in the air and will never go away.

Losing to Kansas made us a national laughingstock that Herman is still trying to overcome.   

Edited by lemonandaturd

I didn’t read a single post in this thread but I thought I’d chime in. I’m a student at UT and I follow a few players on social media. Deshon, Malik, and Charles regularly made negative remarks about the staff on Snapchat and IG Stories. You could tell there was a disconnect. It was always implied or vague for the most part though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deech said:

Anwar and Jane look like assclowns right now. 

Deshon looks like a bitch since he deleted the tweets, it's about a party, and he is getting ready to start his pro career.

CDC shows just how good he is at his job again.  Tweet jackassery starts and by the end of the day, he has mostly put the story to bed.  We are lucky to have him.

wonder if those two morons will try and save face... doubt it.

Wasn’t Foster rear ended going to a party around the 4th? Wonder if it was Elliot’s? Wonder if Herman told them to stay away before the party or after if it was his party. Maybe there is some connection. Maybe there is more to this. Or maybe I have too much time on my hands. Cmon football season. 

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is where I’m at. If Herman did this because he has an axe to grind against Deshon for leaving early then it’s pretty petty. 

If he’s worried that things might get out of hand and police get called, fights break out, drugs are on hand, mug shots get taken, criminal element might be at the party, etc then he’s protecting his /our program as he should.