DeShon Elliott has a message for Tom Herman

Bruh Man

I just want to point out that some media members were trying to advance this story that Charlie Strong was some sort of hardass who all the players hated. When it turns out he was this player's coach who practically had a cult of personality, much less being this drill sergeant. That just shows how worthless most opinions in the sports media are. They are based on nothing at all except whatever they can make up to generate clicks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I just want to point out that some media members were trying to advance this story that Charlie Strong was some sort of hardass who all the players hated. When it turns out he was this player's coach who practically had a cult of personality, much less being this drill sergeant. That just shows how worthless most opinions in the sports media are. They are based on nothing at all except whatever they can make up to generate clicks.

I still remember Ricky subtly criticizing the program on LHN. I think it was postgame after one of Chuckles' many spectacular losses. Can't remember the game, though. Ricky brought up a practice visit he made during the week leading up to the game. Ricky described a loose, jovial atmosphere with music blasting and guys goofing off. He was clearly troubled and perplexed by what he witnessed.  This coming from a guy who played under Mack, too. That was when it started to click that Charlie was more guidance counselor than head coach.

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

I didn’t read a single post in this thread but I thought I’d chime in. I’m a student at UT and I follow a few players on social media. Deshon, Malik, and Charles regularly made negative remarks about the staff on Snapchat and IG Stories. You could tell there was a disconnect. It was always implied or vague for the most part though.

Who is Charles?

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

people just assumed Charlie was the de facto DC so whomever he brought would be fine.  Most people including myself are dumb.

When he had some experience players on D, the D was fine, even if those experience players were more often dudes like Steve Edmond, Duke Thomas, Mykelle Thompson, and Cedric Reed as they were Diggs, Hicks and Malcom Brown. That team was second in conference in total D and third in total D. Unfortunately, it was paired with the worst offense we've had in my 40 years of watching the Horns. Frosh Swoopes behind a balsa wood o-line. Two dinged-up busts in the backfield in Brown and Gray. John Harris and Shipley Lite as the big weapons on the outside. 

Still, if Ash and Espinosa had not gone down, we would have beat OU (lost 31-26 even with that shit sandwich on O) and UCLA (20-17). And who knows how the other games would have gone?

Mack's aversion to having more than one viable QB on the roster at any given time (which dated back to the Simms-Applewhite years) totally fucked Strong over. And it makes me wonder -- what if VY had gone down for more than a few plays in 2005? You really think we roll to the NC with Matt Nordgren leading the charge? Mack should have taken that into account, realized that not every QB is VY, but he didn't. And that bit us in the ass vs Bama, and it bit us in the ass again when Gilbert turned out to be a bust, and continued gnawing on the program's hide through last year. 

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I cannot fucking believe there are still people who are finding ways to defend Charlie Strong. Just to recap:

1. He hired Shawn Watson. And retained him. 

2. In 3 years his solution to addressing the QB position? Potato. 

3. He lost to Kansas. 

4. He, more than once tried to decline a penalty that would have helped his team. 

5. He admitted after the Notre Dame loss in 2015 that he did not really follow the offense during the offseason. 

6. We sucked shit through a straw on defense despite his focus on that side of the ball.

7. Special teams made Korky from Life Goes On look like the president of Mensa.

Anyone defending that fraud of a coach can go fuck themselves. 

8. Down by 7 against Cal, he punted on 4th and 10 with 1:41 left and two timeouts. The moment I realized he was a clueless fuck.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

When he had some experience players on D, the D was fine, even if those experience players were more often dudes like Steve Edmond, Duke Thomas, Mykelle Thompson, and Cedric Reed as they were Diggs, Hicks and Malcom Brown. That team was second in conference in total D and third in total D. Unfortunately, it was paired with the worst offense we've had in my 40 years of watching the Horns. Frosh Swoopes behind a balsa wood o-line. Two dinged-up busts in the backfield in Brown and Gray. John Harris and Shipley Lite as the big weapons on the outside. 

Still, if Ash and Espinosa had not gone down, we would have beat OU (lost 31-26 even with that shit sandwich on O) and UCLA (20-17). And who knows how the other games would have gone?

Mack's aversion to having more than one viable QB on the roster at any given time (which dated back to the Simms-Applewhite years) totally fucked Strong over. And it makes me wonder -- what if VY had gone down for more than a few plays in 2005? You really think we roll to the NC with Matt Nordgren leading the charge? Mack should have taken that into account, realized that not every QB is VY, but he didn't. And that bit us in the ass vs Bama, and it bit us in the ass again when Gilbert turned out to be a bust, and continued gnawing on the program's hide through last year. 

The miss on GG set the program back into the stone age and it's still painful to think about. There hasn't been a steady, reliable QB on the roster since Colt McCoy and it just blows my mind. Strong's best shot at QB was Heard and we all saw how that panned out he became another John Chiles. Mack's recruitment of Quarterbacks was rather bizarre it's like he couldn't handle a QB controversy and didn't want to deal with it going through a repeat of the Simms/Applewhite days. Herman seems to be tackling the QB issue head on and there will be an overload of competition at the position in the future which makes me feel comfortable considering how bad the position has been fucked the last decade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He got the job because Mack wasn't getting the job done. He doesn't get a pass for failing in all 3 years because of the same reason he got the job in the first place. 

Strong was horrible here, and it was completely his own fault. It's over now, and we're all better off because of it.

Edited by Atticus

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He got the job because Mack wasn't getting the job done. He doesn't get a pass for failing in all 3 years because of the same reason he got the job in the first place. 

Strong was horrible here, and it was completely his own fault. It's over now, and we're all better off because of it.

I am not trying to deny history. Those were three fucked up years, and it wouldn't have gotten much better in year four, as we saw last year. All I am trying to point out here is how corrosive and long-lasting the damage was from Mack's last four years. If we'd hired Herman in 2014, we'd have had to have fired him after his first three years, or four, because nobody was winning with that crap Mack left us. 

I don't expect us to much better this year than last. I will be happy with 8 wins plus the bowl. And I don't hold that against Herman or Strong as much as I still do Mack. Healthy programs are able to redshirt all over the roster, even when the redshirts are studs and probably ready to play right away. We had that here from about 2002-2008. Now we are throwing green QBs, DBs, and OLs out there as soon as they hit campus because we've had to. That's a hallmark of a mediocre program, and that is what Mack made us when he got fat and sassy circa 2009. 

Strong is 47-17 outside of his stint here. He went 23-3 in his last two years at Louisville. The knock on him was that he would lose one game a year that he probably should have won. 

And, as Mack love to say, that's fair.

But that was ALSO the knock on Mack until he let Superman be Superman, and that took him years to do. If he'd taken the governor off VY's engine at the outset of the 2004 season, who knows what we could have done? We damn sure would not have gotten shut out by blowU, not with Ced in the backfield and Roy at split end. But Mack and GDGD knew better, with their sophisticated lateral passing game. No QB of theirs was gonna come out and play "schoolyard ball" on their watch. That is, until it became imperative for their job security that they did just that, and then we didn't lose a single game for a year and a half. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Strong is 47-17 outside of his stint here. He went 23-3 in his last two years at Louisville. The knock on him was that he would lose one game a year that he probably should have won. 

But that was ALSO the knock on Mack until he let Superman be Superman, and that took him years to do. If he'd taken the governor off VY's engine at the outset of the 2004 season, who knows what we could have done? We damn sure would not have gotten shut out by blowU, not with Ced in the backfield and Roy at split end. But Mack and GDGD knew better, with their sophisticated lateral passing game. No QB of theirs was gonna come out and play "schoolyard ball" on their watch. That is, until it became imperative for their job security that they did just that, and then we didn't lose a single game for a year and a half. 

Yes...many of us were there. So? This is all ancient history now.

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

WTF are you still babbling about? 

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Just hate to see a good man and a good coach get a raw deal, that's all.

I'll shut up now, unless CTJ comes in with more of his shrill banshee invective. 

How did he get a raw deal? He got 25 million dollars. I mean there is a lot of injustice in this world but little of it involved Charlie Strong's tenure here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

How did he get a raw deal? He got 25 million dollars. I mean there is a lot of injustice in this world but little of it involved Charlie Strong's tenure here.

I don't think about money in these situations. Of course he did. You expected him to take a teacher's salary? I just see this narrative developing that all our woes are Charlie's fault and it's just patently untrue. 

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I don't think about money in these situations. Of course he did. You expected him to take a teacher's salary? I just see this narrative developing that all our woes are Charlie's fault and it's just patently untrue. 

How about you shut the fuck up already? 

• Like 1

If you inherit a pile of shit and then also shit on the pile in creative new ways, you didn't clean up the mess.  The defense was getting worse under Charlie.  If he couldn't even fix that side of the ball, it was never going to work out.  It took Orlando an entire off season and a third of the next season's games to get the defense straightened out.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Charlie Strong went 5-7 in a year where we beat Notre Dame and an undefeated Baylor and had a 2,000 yard rusher. That’s honestly impressive.

Lol. Vegas odds on such a scenario occurring would have been outlandish. Yet it happened. 

40 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Charlie Strong went 5-7 in a year where we beat Notre Dame and an undefeated Baylor and had a 2,000 yard rusher. That’s honestly impressive.

That happens when you have one of the worst defenses in program history and a laughable ST. THREE blocked PATs in one game? LULZ! Also the year prior he beats undefeated and eventual playoff OU and #12 Baylor on the road the year before and finishes 5-7.

• Like 1

Y'know, based on the Herman stuff I've been reading over the last 2 years, and reading some of the player tweets, it's quite possible here that in this story and others like it:

e47686407d4caa29b22ffec0dac0d39b-everyon

The thing is, I don't care. It's entertainment. It's football. It's not life. Win games and as long as you're not diddling kids, I can't affect it, and I don't care.  Lose games and GTFO.

What I think won't affect the UT program in exactly zero ways, to exactly 0%.  Most college coaches are assholes. At least the winning ones are. Comes with the job.

Many players are assholes. You get that way when you've been told all of your life your shit doesn't stink.

Most recruits won't give one shit about this, although maybe a few parents might.  But not to the degree it's going to change the program.  Coaches are always talking shit about the rival teams, coaches, coeds, you name it. Boohoo.  Most recruits laugh.

As for me, just win baby.  The assorted sides can fight the rest out in places I'll never see nor know about.

(BTW my son spent a lot of time in San Jac last year and said yes there are plenty of assholes to go around in the football program, players and coaches alike. But some nice guys too. Shocking, I know.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

6. trying to say that Charlie did not get a fair shake or that Charlie lacked anything needed to win at Texas just makes you look like a giant clueless dickhead

Word. Amazed that people still think Charlie Strong didn't get a fair shake. 

54 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Just hate to see a good man and a good coach get a raw deal, that's all.

I'll shut up now, unless CTJ comes in with more of his shrill banshee invective. 

LOL. Charlie was statistically the worst coach in the storied history of the University of Texas. I work with good coaches and they used to laugh at how out-of-position his defense was. And we're not talking out-schemed by some amazing offense. We're talking they line up three WR's and we have two defenders shit.  

And WTF, raw deal? He stole millions of dollars from my beloved university that he didn't earn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I didn’t read a single post in this thread but I thought I’d chime in. I’m a student at UT and I follow a few players on social media. Deshon, Malik, and Charles regularly made negative remarks about the staff on Snapchat and IG Stories. You could tell there was a disconnect. It was always implied or vague for the most part though.

So the players went from a coach who coddled them and was their best friend to a coach who doesn't kiss their ass and demands accountability.  Wow, color me shocked that they were making negative comments on snapchat.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

Charlie was never going to get it right. The staff couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time. There always seemed to be one thing (and frankly it was almost always more than one thing) about the team, be it getting PAT blocked or whatever that was an absolute embarrassing shit show. “We’re going to get this fixed” and something else falls apart. If the defense was playing hard, the offense couldn’t get a first down. If the the offense was moving the ball, they couldn’t put it in the end zone or the defense was getting steam rolled. And of course ST was a clusterfuck. 

I like Charlie and wish him well but he needed to be fired and really didn’t even earn year three except that he recruited well and everyone hoped more talent would just translate into wins even thought it was clear the coaching part was terrible. 

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Out of those 64 games, he played a grand total of 4 ranked teams. Even last years preseason top 25 team lost to the only top 25 team it played (granted UCF was solid).

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

If you inherit a pile of shit and then also shit on the pile in creative new ways, you didn't clean up the mess.  The defense was getting worse under Charlie.  If he couldn't even fix that side of the ball, it was never going to work out.  It took Orlando an entire off season and a third of the next season's games to get the defense straightened out.

That’s a damn lie. The defense would have been just as good as this year considering that the best players on the defense were returning players with a ton of experience and were draft eligible.

• Fuck You 9

39 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

LOL. Charlie was statistically the worst coach in the storied history of the University of Texas. I work with good coaches and they used to laugh at how out-of-position his defense was. And we're not talking out-schemed by some amazing offense. We're talking they line up three WR's and we have two defenders shit.  

And WTF, raw deal? He stole millions of dollars from my beloved university that he didn't earn.

Coaches that were sitting on the couch eating potato chips just like yourself.

• Fuck You 7

4 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

That’s a damn lie. The defense would have been just as good as this year considering that the best players on the defense were returning players with a ton of experience and were draft eligible.

This is crazy talk. Orlando’s got nothing to do with it?  Malik went from a guy getting benched to conference defensive player of the year just because he’s a year older?  Todd Orlando is a fucking wizard and there was no drop off when all those highly regarded juniors didn’t play against on the the SECs premier offenses. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1