Air Force @ Texas Midweek Series

Horny Bull

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

missed the game due to Virginia's offense making my eyes bleed but  read the play by play on the first inning.  holy shit, 2 hits, 2BB, HBP and only 2 runs.  the lineout/DP probably saved the game.

bullpen did alright it appears.

16 hits, 3BB, and 1HBP and only 6 runs.  pretty uncluch but well done Mr. Flores

Well said. Props to you for summing up in 30 seconds what we had to sit through for 4 hours.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well said. Props to you for summing up in 30 seconds what we had to sit through for 4 hours.

ESPN+ is the bomb.  just watched the first 2 innings then FF to 9th. easy peasy.  this may be a better way to watch this season. fewer heart problems.

Posted (edited)

Dee Kennedy throw to 1st bruh. how you gonna be hyper aggressive throwing to 2nd then next play not even make that throw to 1st and allow a run? 

heston tole just can’t hold baserunners?

how was PP called for that E5? It was surprising he even got to it, if he doesn’t it’s a sure IF single, then he had to spin and make a perfect throw. Throw wide, runner can’t take an extra base, E5…galvan then comes up and hits a ball up the middle that curves back toward SS off the mound, fielded easily, bobbles transfer, throws, Galvan barely beats it, hit… I know this bobble misplay is specifically not an error per the rules but it’s wrong lol

Texas 0-6 when trailing after 7th inning. No clutch hitting this year.

Porter benching I get but why wasn’t Belyue starting? Obviously one of our best players imo. 

duplantier stealing that bunt from PP like a dumbass to allow a run. He had no chance and didn’t trust our 3B play I guess.

Kennedy just watching strike after strike to K in the 9th. PP clutch. Flores great long AB… Jalen Flores clutch AF HR. 

Interestingly, PP catching for us in the 10th. Flores stepping into the base line but making a tough double play. He seems to make all the plays despite making some look too hard

Dee Kennedy with a chance to redeem himself in 10th… 0-4 hitting .190 … flare to center to walk it off lol

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Dee Kennedy throw to 1st bruh. how you gonna be hyper aggressive throwing to 2nd then next play not even make that throw to 1st and allow a run? 

heston tole just can’t hold baserunners?

how was PP called for that E5? It was surprising he even got to it, if he doesn’t it’s a sure IF single, then he had to spin and make a perfect throw. Throw wide, runner can’t take an extra base, E5…galvan then comes up and hits a ball up the middle that curves back toward SS off the mound, fielded easily, bobbles transfer, throws, Galvan barely beats it, hit… I know this bobble misplay is specifically not an error per the rules but it’s wrong lol

Texas 0-6 when trailing after 7th inning. No clutch hitting this year.

Porter benching I get but why wasn’t Belyue starting? Obviously one of our best players imo. 

duplantier stealing that bunt from PP like a dumbass to allow a run. He had no chance and didn’t trust our 3B play I guess.

Kennedy just watching strike after strike to K in the 9th. PP clutch. Flores great long AB… Jalen Flores clutch AF HR. 

Interestingly, PP catching for us in the 10th. Flores stepping into the base line but making a tough double play. He seems to make all the plays despite making some look too hard

Dee Kennedy with a chance to redeem himself in 10th… 0-4 hitting .190 … flare to center to walk it off lol

Jesus Christ dude. Quite a detailed analysis of the game. Didn’t think you were capable of putting that many words together. Respect. 

It’s a midweek game in a week with 5 games. Brown and Belyeu got a rest. Farmer hasn’t shown any better. You would shit yourself if Jack was in the 2 hole. You drop Powell a spot. Add you a little speed at the top of the order and there you have your lineup.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would think the pitching advantage is pretty big in favor of the good guys today. Air Force has used every non-weekend starter they have with an ERA below 7.00. 

They also burned their closer with almost 50 pitches.

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

They also burned their closer with almost 50 pitches.

Yeah, should have worded it better. Every pitcher on their staff with an ERA under 7 was either used yesterday or is a weekend starter. They should be hurting today. Hopefully, we take advantage.

15 hours ago, NAVY said:

Flyover from 20 minutes ago

IMG_2838.mov

Thanks for sharing.... was running late and barely got to my seat by the anthem and didn't hear that they were having a flyover.

Didn't get  my phone up in time. What I used to take for granted (stationed at a SAC Base for two years), is now pretty damn cool. 🤘

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, should have worded it better. Every pitcher on their staff with an ERA under 7 was either used yesterday or is a weekend starter. They should be hurting today. Hopefully, we take advantage.

Narrator: They would not take advantage. 

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

It’s a midweek game in a week with 5 games. Brown and Belyeu got a rest. Farmer hasn’t shown any better. You would shit yourself if Jack was in the 2 hole. You drop Powell a spot. Add you a little speed at the top of the order and there you have your lineup.

Farmer was 1-2 with a walk last night.  Got a solid hit last night his first at bat and played some solid left field.  He didn't drop any Porter Brown type balls.    Hopefully he can continue more of the same with more at bats.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

D.K.'s offensive struggles are well-covered here. What I want to know is why the fuck was he batting 2nd?

His batting average jumped 37 points last night with his one hit in the 10th, that’s what happens when you only have 22 ABs. He is the only guy on the team with more walks (8) than strikeouts (7). 

I’d say he is doing alright for a true freshman. I’d like to see him continue to bat 2nd. He sees a lot of pitches and puts together much better ABs than O’Dowd. Not to mention he is a much better glove.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, B00M said:

This was one of the more bizarre non-plays I've ever seen.  Did his brain just break?

• Haha 1

Farmer was 1-2 with a walk last night.  Got a solid hit last night his first at bat and played some solid left field.  He didn't drop any Porter Brown type balls.    Hopefully he can continue more of the same with more at bats.

Yeah not a knock on Farmer but more in relation to his production to date. Difficult to find consistency with sporadic play particularly at the plate.

DP hasn’t been a huge rotation guy so we’ll see if that changes a bit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

D.K.'s offensive struggles are well-covered here. What I want to know is why the fuck was he batting 2nd?

I support anything that moves Powell to the 3 hole. That said it should be Gasparino hitting #2.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I support anything that moves Powell to the 3 hole. That said it should be Gasparino hitting #2.

Isn't the current trend throughout baseball to hit your best guy #2 in the order?

Powell has the highest OPS on the team and handles the bat extremely well (11 strikeouts vs 8 walks). He can hit lefties and righties. When you have a guy who handles the bat well behind a leadoff guy like JT (OBP over .500 right now) it allows you to do so much in the short game (hit and run, steal bases, put pressure on defenses). I really don't want any of the freshman batting second. The 3 highest strikeout rates on the team of guys with at least 20 AB's are: Borba, Gasparino and Kennedy.

Hell, it would probably make more sense to move someone like Kimble Schuessler to #2 in the order (.435 OBP, rarely strikes out, decent speed for a catcher) than most other options outside of Powell. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

lol yeah I meant to comment about this in my game notes. DP is clearly showing DK that he still has confidence in him and hoping that he will rise to the pressure inherent at the top of the order. After DK made the risky throw to 2B but didn't attempt the throw to 1B, DP came to the mound and without even looking at the pitcher, spent a good 30 seconds talking to DK. 

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Isn't the current trend throughout baseball to hit your best guy #2 in the order?

Powell has the highest OPS on the team and handles the bat extremely well (11 strikeouts vs 8 walks). He can hit lefties and righties. When you have a guy who handles the bat well behind a leadoff guy like JT (OBP over .500 right now) it allows you to do so much in the short game (hit and run, steal bases, put pressure on defenses). I really don't want any of the freshman batting second. The 3 highest strikeout rates on the team of guys with at least 20 AB's are: Borba, Gasparino and Kennedy.

Hell, it would probably make more sense to move someone like Kimble Schuessler to #2 in the order (.435 OBP, rarely strikes out, decent speed for a catcher) than most other options outside of Powell. 

It is getting more and more common I think. My only reason for wanting PP at 3 is more potential RBI for our most consistent bat.

3 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Thanks for sharing.... was running late and barely got to my seat by the anthem and didn't hear that they were having a flyover.

Didn't get  my phone up in time. What I used to take for granted (stationed at a SAC Base for two years), is now pretty damn cool. 🤘

I know what you mean. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Of course it is, but people stuck in the past will never agree. Not worth it. 

What's so different now? Guessing the nerds have figured out the #2 batter gets to the plate more than the #3 guy? 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, LHN is apparently showing a rebroadcast of some game against A&M from 2022 at 4 PM.  Air Force at 9 PM.

Seriously?

My LHN HD says Texas/ Air Force  at 4 pm   The SD says Texas A&M at Texas.  I'm betting that is just a typo.

The 9pm is a replay of yesterday's game on 3/19/24

Edited by HuntinHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, BERT said:

What's so different now? Guessing the nerds have figured out the #2 batter gets to the plate more than the #3 guy? 

So why are sluggers batting earlier? There is a very strong correlation between batting order and run production. Statistics show that the #2 hitters get between 40-50 extra plate appearances per season than the player batting third or fourth. Statistics further demonstrate that more of the at-bats from the #2 spot come with fewer than two outs.

The conclusion based on these statistical nuggets is that you are wasting your best hitter if you put them in the 3 or 4 spot in your lineup. Batting your best hitter #2 places them in more positions to get on base and drive in runs over the course of the season. How many times have you been watching your favorite team with them trailing late in a game, and you were hoping to get to the #3 or #4 hitter (positions traditionally saved for productive hitters) so they could get a big hit and tie it up? If the best hitter was hitting second, they would get an At Bat sooner.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

You'd be REAL shocked if you saw his dad. 

16 hours ago, Fletch said:

His brothers are Eric and Nick actually 

Shit, I was way off.  I'd sworn he was related to the Kennedy's from Cape Cod/Nantucket.

In this day and age, a rare comeback win.  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That's the simplistic way of putting it

Just look at today's real MLB game, Shohei & Tatis hit 2. Seager & Yordan will hit 2 for the Texas teams this season. Some are just stuck remembering the biggest kid hit 3 in LL. 

That's what i'm good at

and thank you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Statistics further demonstrate that more of the at-bats from the #2 spot come with fewer than two outs

What a win for statistics. Showing that one of two spots on the order where your first PA cannot be with 2 outs bats fewer times with 2 outs than 3-9. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, LHN is apparently showing a rebroadcast of some game against A&M from 2022 at 4 PM.  Air Force at 9 PM.

Seriously?

i'm at work so can only go by whats on the "Watch" tab on espn.com, but they have air force @ texas listed at 4:00pm on LHN on their upcoming schedule section.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That's the simplistic way of putting it. 

Just look at today's real MLB game, Shohei & Tatis hit 2. Seager & Yordan will hit 2 for the Texas teams this season. Some are just stuck remembering the biggest kid hit 3 in LL.  

My point is more specific to our current team. The end of our lineup is fucking trash often times (looking at you O’Dowd). I’d rather see PP get more chances early in games with an extra runner on than counting on end of game situations. 
I really like the Schuessler suggestion @Hookem2147 said. That would be a great fit in that spot.

26 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'm at work so can only go by whats on the "Watch" tab on espn.com, but they have air force @ texas listed at 4:00pm on LHN on their upcoming schedule section.

This is DirecTV's LHNHD channel guide.  I'll assume they're showing the game.