2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

Has anyone else been quietly/slightly concerned about Johntay Cook? 

I didn't follow his recruitment or watch highlights from HS, but I know he was huge commitment and people expect greatness. In his limited time last year, he looked...good? Nothing really jumped off the screen. Now we've added Bond/Golden/Bolden. Wingo is making a huge impression already and even DeAndre Moore seems to be turning a corner. Niblack is gonna get targets and maybe even Wisner along with Baxter/Blue out of the backfield.  That's a lot of options for Quinn, and most of the spring reports I've read/seen so far don't seem to talk about Johntay much. 

Obviously as a fan this added WR depth is GREAT news. Hope Cook lights it up Just wonder if it's possible if he gets lost in the shuffle. 

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

I didn't follow his recruitment or watch highlights from HS, but I know he was huge commitment and people expect greatness. In his limited time last year, he looked...good? Nothing really jumped off the screen. Now we've added Bond/Golden/Bolden. Wingo is making a huge impression already and even DeAndre Moore seems to be turning a corner. Niblack is gonna get targets and maybe even Wisner along with Baxter/Blue out of the backfield.  That's a lot of options for Quinn, and most of the spring reports I've read/seen so far don't seem to talk about Johntay much. 

Obviously as a fan this added WR depth is GREAT news. Hope Cook lights it up Just wonder if it's possible if he gets lost in the shuffle. 

Cook has looked good and on track for plenty of playing time. Any of these guys can always go elsewhere, but if he sticks to it, he’s going to be a starter and a regular target. 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Good God I love that play. It's even funnier if you look at how slow he is moving but nobody can catch him. 

Oh, that’s right. We beat the ever-loving shit out of Tech this year. I forgot they still had a team. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Cook has looked good and on track for plenty of playing time. Any of these guys can always go elsewhere, but if he sticks to it, he’s going to be a starter and a regular target. 

This. I said earlier this week that Cook and Wingo are two different players. The guys who make splash plays like Wingo are always going to get the press, but the guy who can consistently give you 8 catches for 90 yards will win you games. Cook is the latter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The guy just doubled down in his latest response to me, educating me about TPF and telling me it's basically the last post in which he is going to play nice. Holy fucking shit. I swear to God that if this is one of you motherfuckers from over here trolling me that I will take my Internet revenge to the ends of the earth. I'll also laugh my ass off. 

I forgot about that place.  

spacer.png

• Haha 3

You said it yourself.."limited time". If X saw the same amount of snaps as Cook (and sometimes with mostly second team offense on the field) his Freshman year we might have questioned if he was going to produce as well. Cook will be fine, maybe even lead the team in catches/yards next season? He isn't being talked about as much because we have a lot of high profile Freshmen and transfers this off-season...or at least that's my theory. If game one comes and goes and he still has limited snaps then we'll have something to talk about. I could be wrong, but I think with the embarrassment of riches we now have Sark will be more open to rotating WR's in and out...if that's the case he won't be on the field as often as X, Mitchell and JWhitt last season, but still no cause for alarm in and of itself.

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Not concerned at all. Everyone is so hyper focused on the new shiny toys that they forget he'll be a starter and a high contributor, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, immamac said:

YOU DONT KNOW WHO I AM BITCH. 

True or false - Your source fucked up the Bob Armstrong dip by spilling a margarita all over it at one of the first face to face meetings of the guys that started pancake factory.  

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

There has been an unacceptably high number of times where defenses are getting to Quinn. Our OL is vastly improved, to my ignorant eye. But there is still room for improvement, at least compared to what I see at the top of the league tables. We nearly lost several games this year, in part due to lack of good OL play. Quinn was getting pressured at exactly the wrong times, if I remember correctly.

CFB-graphs says its through week 10 but Parker said it's actually though end of reg season and numbers look close-ish to me for Ewers on attempt #

Ewers takes more sacks than most do pressure wise for whatever reason, which makes the OL look even worse. saw some stat last year around this but can't find it again (basically the pressure:sack ratio)

check his sack % vs someone like Penix, Nix, Beck, etc or even guys like Alan Bowman or Kyle McCord

image.thumb.png.943a24a73a4ce8ce306a4924e5e8b1b5.png

CFB-graphs is a 10/10 option for some of these advanced stats stuff. here's hoping we see Quinn air it out way more in 2024.

he isn't on there but if you want to know just how absolutely horrible A&M was last year, Conner Weigman faced pressure on 40.2% of his dropbacks. Max Johnson somehow had an even higher pressure rate (44.7%) - and both had a sack % rate lower than Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Had Enough said:

For two years running, there was discussion on this board about Majors being replaced.

the only people who thought that Jake Majors was going to actually get replaced were idiots. they carried the water for something that had basically no basis in reality as far as any of us know. 

Majors is going to finish his Texas career having started 50+ straight games at Center. Flood has been here for every game he has started except 2 he started as a RSFR.

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

the only people who thought that Jake Majors was going to actually get replaced were idiots. they carried the water for something that had basically no basis in reality as far as any of us know. 

Majors is going to finish his Texas career having started 50+ straight games at Center. Flood has been here for every game he has started except 2 he started as a RSFR.

They call it Inside Texas wishcasting. 

11 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Merely looking like you belong as a true freshman is a good first step 

48 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

It’s lit

(trvisXX = Travis Scott, rapper)

Actually, it's Travis Scott, clothing entrepreneur.

His clothing company, Cactus Jack, is launching collaborations with various universities....Texas is one of them.

Link

15 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

His clothing company, Cactus Jack, is launching collaborations with various universities....Texas is one of them.

Link

Looks like “Travis Scott and Michael Rubin Teach Business and Entrepreneurship 101” ended a little bit ago. What a world.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

CFB-graphs says its through week 10 but Parker said it's actually though end of reg season and numbers look close-ish to me for Ewers on attempt #

Ewers takes more sacks than most do pressure wise for whatever reason, which makes the OL look even worse. saw some stat last year around this but can't find it again (basically the pressure:sack ratio)

check his sack % vs someone like Penix, Nix, Beck, etc or even guys like Alan Bowman or Kyle McCord

image.thumb.png.943a24a73a4ce8ce306a4924e5e8b1b5.png

CFB-graphs is a 10/10 option for some of these advanced stats stuff. here's hoping we see Quinn air it out way more in 2024.

he isn't on there but if you want to know just how absolutely horrible A&M was last year, Conner Weigman faced pressure on 40.2% of his dropbacks. Max Johnson somehow had an even higher pressure rate (44.7%) - and both had a sack % rate lower than Ewers.

when Quinn came back from his injury that he suffered vs UH.. he was quick to get down and take a sack without being brought to the ground by a defender.  He wasn't fully recovered imo, so he wasn't going to try and extend a play.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

when Quinn came back from his injury that he suffered vs UH.. he was quick to get down and take a sack without being brought to the ground by a defender.  He wasn't fully recovered imo, so he wasn't going to try and extend a play.

An analytics nerd won't factor that...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

He often self-sacked himself by prematurely abandoning the pocket though.

20 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Quinn’s sack avoidance numbers and pocket presence have always been terrible. The injury didn’t change much. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

God we sucked against UH. That game should have been out of reach early and in the second half we should have been playing backups.

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Link

Well the merch is ugly as shit (that hat looks like those bedazzled hats suburban grandmothers wear to games) but if the kids like em, then go wild.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

23 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

He often self-sacked himself by prematurely abandoning the pocket though.

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Quinn’s sack avoidance numbers and pocket presence have always been terrible. The injury didn’t change much. 

he's always been weird about avoiding sacks going back to last year. OTF talked about it recently and it came up a ton last year, he is an anomaly compared to other QBs in his archetype - he doesn't have a high rate of sacks because he scrambles after his first read and gets sacked (Milroe for example), nor does he have a high rate because he is Tom Brady speed wise. he just takes more sacks than he "should" based on the % of pressures he gets.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well the merch is ugly as shit (that hat looks like those bedazzled hats suburban grandmothers wear to games) but if the kids like em, then go wild.

you aren't the target audience lol but i had to click on it thinking the same

image.png.e21314ae1877bfe1a730b16d9d5898b2.png

39 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Numbers actually support this.. 

11 sacks in 296 attempts.. I put the sacks back in to give 307 attempts and a sack every 27.9 attempts in year 1

27 sacks in 394 attempts... same math gets you 421 attempts and a sack every 15.6 attempts in year 2. 

Its a massive jump and the OL was better, so hard to explain how he was solid in year 1 at sacks avoidance and not very good in year 2. Your explanation makes as much sense based on that. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Numbers actually support this.. 

11 sacks in 296 attempts.. I put the sacks back in to give 307 attempts and a sack every 27.9 attempts in year 1

27 sacks in 394 attempts... same math gets you 421 attempts and a sack every 15.6 attempts in year 2. 

Its a massive jump and the OL was better, so hard to explain how he was solid in year 1 at sacks avoidance and not very good in year 2. Your explanation makes as much sense based on that. 

no, numbers don't back it up about the Houston game splits.

• Pre Houston (Rice through OU) he had 1 sack every 13.1 passing attempts
  • for the Houston game he had 1 sack ever 9.7 attempts
  • Post OU (so including the Houston game) he had 1 sakc every 16.2 attempts
  • Post Houston (excluding the Houston game, TCU through the end of the season) he had 1 sack every 18.1 attempts

this is a known thing w/r/t his pressure to sack rate and has been discussed a ton over the last 2 full seasons.

image.png.d4e544dd42b6998a20d714c7abdf2875.png

i included DFEI to show that he was shit regarding sacks against the worst defenses on the schedule for the 3 worst defenses on the schedule (all outside the DFEI top 100) he was sacked once every 9.1 attempts.

Edited by NoName
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

no, numbers don't back it up about the Houston game splits.

• Pre Houston (Rice through OU) he had 1 sack every 13.1 passing attempts
  • for the Houston game he had 1 sack ever 9.7 attempts
  • Post OU (so including the Houston game) he had 1 sakc every 16.2 attempts
  • Post Houston (excluding the Houston game, TCU through the end of the season) he had 1 sack every 18.1 attempts

this is a known thing w/r/t his pressure to sack rate and has been discussed a ton over the last 2 full seasons.

image.png.d4e544dd42b6998a20d714c7abdf2875.png

i included DFEI to show that he was shit regarding sacks against the worst defenses on the schedule for the 3 worst defenses on the schedule (all outside the DFEI top 100) he was sacked once every 9.1 attempts.

I trust you, I am not going to go through all that work. Not sure if you have pressure rate vs sacks from his first year, but something changed dramatically between year 1 and year 2. I dont think the pass protection got worse, but perhaps I am wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Wow. That is a surprisingly dark joke for the official twitter account. Unless they completely spaced on the reference. 

Seriously doubt it. At least I hope not. It did make me say "holy shit" out loud, though. 

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's not made for the demographic of this board

31 minutes ago, NoName said:

you aren't the target audience lol but i had to click on it thinking the same

Me thinking some of the gear actually looks good...

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952fgmaj8ykrqddqnz4hzm

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I will have you know sir that Charlie Strong literally combed the desert for the finest OC in the land. 247 told me so.

Bobby was pretty openly critical, at least as much as he could be, about Strong and his methods on coaching hires and how he fucked that up.

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I trust you, I am not going to go through all that work. Not sure if you have pressure rate vs sacks from his first year, but something changed dramatically between year 1 and year 2. I dont think the pass protection got worse, but perhaps I am wrong. 

i don't have it for 22 and thats just sacks per attempt, not sacks per pressure which is the real info to have/know.

either way, it's been discussed in the past. it's a known thing about him

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's certainly proud of his stuff.  The hat is $58 and the t-shirt is $68.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i don't have it for 22 and thats just sacks per attempt, not sacks per pressure which is the real info to have/know.

either way, it's been discussed in the past. it's a known thing about him

I am just pointing out his sack per attempt was dramatically lower in his first year, based on attempts... He was solid at avoiding sacks that year, some argued to careful at the time. Just odd