Most annoying instrument?

Paul Wesley

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

There was a third wave ska band out of based out of Houston called Secret Agent 8 that had a theremin. So, just remember that before suggesting that they might not be cool.

Wow.  

Those guys are from my hometown.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Wow.  

Those guys are from my hometown.

oh that's funny I always just assumed they were from Houston, and that was back in the day before there was almost any way of learning facts about tiny bands. When I was probably a junior in high school my band (which at that point still considered itself somewhat "ska") opened for them an Los Skarnales upstairs at Fitzgeralds and I thought I had basically made it at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

oh that's funny I always just assumed they were from Houston, and that was back in the day before there was almost any way of learning facts about tiny bands. When I was probably a junior in high school my band (which at that point still considered itself somewhat "ska") opened for them an Los Skarnales upstairs at Fitzgeralds and I thought I had basically made it at that point.

Los Skarnales are the shit, or at least they used to be. They played a couple of benefits we threw (for free) and blew the roof off the place.

You obviously haven't heard the middle school beginner French horn section.
I'll go with "soprano sax".
image.thumb.png.ea962d997710d67b9bcb1188dd81cee4.png

I was gonna say alto sax. Why do we need this?

And, I don’t hate it in every song and some guys are subtle masters of it, but I generally don’t like the harmonica - at least not as a “lead” in most songs.

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You obviously haven't heard the middle school beginner French horn section.

I'll go with "soprano sax".

image.thumb.png.ea962d997710d67b9bcb1188dd81cee4.png

French horn is a motherfucker to play.  Back in my day, they recruited the very best trumpet players to play french horn.

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

French horn is a motherfucker to play.  Back in my day, they recruited the very best trumpet players to play french horn.

I am well aware.  Now imagine a bunch of 7th graders recruited to play the damn thing with zero brass experience whatsoever.

We were at the beginning band concert and each section played a unison tune.  When the French horns came out, I pulled out my phone and launched voice memos.  My wife asked wtf I was doing . . . I just said "wait and listen".

It sounded like a herd of cattle all suffering from colic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

The answer is an electric guitar in the WRONG hands.

It’s really something like that, specifically something like a low tier pointy Ibanez plugged into a solid state half stack with a metal zone in front of it.

but, you’re really criticizing the player rather than the instrument. 

and does a…. Jaw harp, or a vuvuzela, etc count as an instrument 

20 hours ago, Celery Man said:

When I was probably a junior in high school my band (which at that point still considered itself somewhat "ska") opened for them an Los Skarnales upstairs at Fitzgeralds and I thought I had basically made it at that point.

Screenshot-2024-03-25-at-10-10-57-AM.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

I was gonna say alto sax. Why do we need this?

In 6th grade band, I needed to pick an instrument.  About a week before school started, my mother said, 'How about saxophone?  You should play saxophone!"  I ended up playing alto sax for two years. 

Ugh.  

Man, I would trade that for ANYTHING else:  cello, violin, drums... even oboe or bassoon would be cooler.  

I'm surprised no one said "fretless bass," because that's another one that everyone else in the room just has to kind of cringe and pray to God that it stays in the case all day.  

How about a trio of alto sax, fretless bass, and cajon?  They could name themselves something annoying, like "Phish."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If a theremin is in the running, then a saw is, too.

image.png.d3b8d8d983abb1dd5f0c1d69c91e49f5.png

Yeah but you can use it for other stuff.  Like cutting up the body of the theremin player.

Edited by locodos
*it*
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

In 6th grade band, I needed to pick an instrument.  About a week before school started, my mother said, 'How about saxophone?  You should play saxophone!"  I ended up playing alto sax for two years. 

Ugh.  

Man, I would trade that for ANYTHING else:  cello, violin, drums... even oboe or bassoon would be cooler.  

I'm surprised no one said "fretless bass," because that's another one that everyone else in the room just has to kind of cringe and pray to God that it stays in the case all day.  

How about a trio of alto sax, fretless bass, and cajon?  They could name themselves something annoying, like "Phish."

my sister played oboe and I played french horn. we were all pretty musical but still I feel bad for everyone else in retrospect - those are the worst learning curve instruments. can still hear oboe the squeaks.

most annoying 5th grade band kids are sax and percussion

stupidest instrument is bass clarinet and dorkiest is euphonium

in the context of listening to popular music, I'm going to throw steel drums into the discussion. When has that appeared on a track (either as an instrument or as a sample) and made things better?

French horn obviously sucks as applied to middle school band, but we can’t forget to mention the kid who sucked at alto sax and was moved to baritone sax in an attempt to get her to quit….she enthusiastically made up for her lack of quality with quantity - all the way to the corp and aggy marching band. Proof positive that those fuckers will take anyone.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

And, I don’t hate it in every song and some guys are subtle masters of it, but I generally don’t like the harmonica - at least not as a “lead” in most songs.

I came back to flog your post with Mickey Raphael references. But then I re read it and I think I agree with you.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I came back to flog your post with Mickey Raphael references. But then I re read it and I think I agree with you.

Haha.  Harmonica players in bar bands… white guys with fedoras and diabeetus… just waiting for a solo.   

At least hippies keep their digeridoos at home.  

On 3/24/2024 at 8:26 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I am well aware.  Now imagine a bunch of 7th graders recruited to play the damn thing with zero brass experience whatsoever.

We were at the beginning band concert and each section played a unison tune.  When the French horns came out, I pulled out my phone and launched voice memos.  My wife asked wtf I was doing . . . I just said "wait and listen".

It sounded like a herd of cattle all suffering from colic.

My 8th grader made all region. 7th best French horn in central Texas. In absolute terms, he’s ok. In relative terms he’s really fucking good. Imagine how much shit I’ve listened too.

band director needed a reliable trumpet for their symphonic band UIL comp. He asked my son to pick up the trumpet. A month later he’s first chair trumpet in the symphonic band (along with first chair French horn honors band). His tone on the trumpet is notably better than my 5th year trumpet player (soph in high school). One month. He makes the trumpet sound silky.

it’s crazy how hard the French horn is.

Other than say Benny Goodman, I’d rank clarinet as the single most annoying instrument. It’s the shitiest sound I’ve ever heard.

bagpipes unless played well in funerals or processions or the lone player wondering through the fog.

steel drums for real.