Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, runthebone said:

What a shitty loss.

Pre pre game the radio guys talked about the opening day loss last year, and the rest of the season feeling off / not right 

hopefully we don't get those same vibes 

• Hook 'Em 2

Pre pre game the radio guys talked about the opening day loss last year, and the rest of the season feeling off / not right 

hopefully we don't get those same vibes 

Already have that vibe. Dynasty over.

20 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

One positive takeaway was Hader. We have a legitimate closer now, which will come in handy this season if we can give him a lead.

And that Meyers is on pace for 162 HRs.

that’s all I got.

I'm still pissed off at yesterday's game. Fucking shit, if you can't throw strikes you can't win ballgames, as simple as that. 

His 2 seamer is great in terms of movement, unfortunately that movement and control bite him in the ass more often lately. His offspeed should be his get me overs. Frustrating, but hey, only 1 game into the season, I know I have more frustration coming my way!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Posted (edited)

When does Dana Brown start getting some heat from the fans and media? I was not a fan of Click because of his Rays mentality of not spending money or making big moves in free agency. With hindsight, I have to give him credit with building a good pitching staff while he was here. Brown has done nothing to improve our starting pitching and his moves with the bullpen leave a lot to be desired. 

The Hader signing was all Crane’s doing so he doesn’t credit for that in my book. We basically went into the season hoping and praying that Framber and Javier will turn it around and buying into the fools gold of McCullers and Garcia being ready midseason.

Not getting either Snell or Montgomery was a huge mistake, especially Montgomery since he signed for a short term deal at only $25 million AAV. Finally, Brown was supposed to be this wizard in locking up young talent like they did in Atlanta. He has had no discussions with either King Tuck or Bregman on a long term deal. 

What the fuck is this guy doing? He is definitely dead last behind Caserio and Stone in the Houston GM rankings which is so sad considering we had the best GM in sports in Luhnow. Bring the 🐐 back for the love of God.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Reminder tonight’s game is on AppleTV only 

Fuck Manfred. Fans need to unite against this bullshit. If you have an MLB extra innings account or have SCHN through your local provider you should automatically get access. Like the NFL does for Thursday and Monday nights over the air for the local makets of the teams playing in the game.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

When does Dana Brown start getting some heat from the fans and media? I was not a fan of Click because of his Rays mentality of not spending money or making big moves in free agency. With hindsight, I have to give him credit with building a good pitching staff while he was here. Brown has done nothing to improve our starting pitching and his moves with the bullpen leave a lot to be desired. 

The Hader signing was all Crane’s doing so he doesn’t credit for that in my book. We basically went into the season hoping and praying that Framber and Javier will turn it around and buying into the fools gold of McCullers and Garcia being ready midseason.

Not getting either Snell or Montgomery was a huge mistake, especially Montgomery since he signed for a short term deal at only $25 million AAV. Finally, Brown was supposed to be this wizard in locking up young talent like they did in Atlanta. He has had no discussions with either King Tuck or Bregman on a long term deal. 

What the fuck is this guy doing? He is definitely dead last behind Caserio and Stone in the Houston GM rankings which is so sad considering we had the best GM in sports in Luhnow. Bring the 🐐 back for the love of God.

43 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Fuck Manfred. Fans need to unite against this bullshit. If you have an MLB extra innings account or have SCHN through your local provider you should automatically get access. Like the NFL does for Thursday and Monday nights over the air for the local makets of the teams playing in the game.

I concur on both counts. Thanks for saving me the time of writing them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

@Macklemore While I too have not been impressed with Brown., it’s for different reasons. With this roster, his main job should be to rebuild the pipeline. While I realize that it will take some time, I’ve seen little progress in that regard. 
As to your other points, you can’t give Crane credit for the Hader signing and, at the same time, give Brown the blame for not signing Montgomery or Snell. Finally, signing Bregman and/or Tucker to extensions is not the same Atlanta’s signing prospects early. Bregman is not young and Tucker is way more established than any of the guys that Atlanta signed. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Any comparison to the NFL is a fool’s errand. Baseball is a regional sport. It just is and trying to argue differently is fruitless. With that established, if you tell Apple (or Peacock on Sunday mornings, or ESPN on Sunday nights) “we’ll give you the rights to exclusively broadcast this game nationally…in every market except the markets of the two teams that are playing” they are going to tell you “ok. Well, you’re taking away 90% of the audience. So we’ll discount the rights we’ll pay you by 90%”.  And keep in mind in the case of the Apple TV Friday night game, unlike they NFL, there are ~14 other games going on at the same time. The value proposition just isn’t there if you are giving fans in Houston and New York another option to watch the game. 

Of course, what does this all mean for the fan? Not a lot directly. It’s not like all that extra money Apple is paying MLB is really going to make a direct dent in a team’s fortunes (Crane and all the other owners get more money. But will he use that to invest and go above the luxury tax threshold? Maybe. Maybe not.)

That said, yeah, MLB’s distribution system is broken. They’ve admitted it with all the work they are trying to do to get out from under the RSNs. As a fan, maybe it’ll get better, but it’ll never get to the point where we have everything we want. All sports are going to more of this (re: selling more and more rights to streaming only services).  There is going to be a lot of more of this before it stabilizes.

@Wulaw Horn did the math on a lot of this.

The true cost to get what you and I want is astronomical and at a pricepoint that very few fans would actually pay.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

As to your other points, you can’t give Crane credit for the Hader signing and, at the same time, give Brown the blame for not signing Montgomery or Snell.

I’m repeating myself on this, but I think that Crane doesn’t trust Brown enough for him to operate freely, particularly on large free agent signings.  

I miss Luhnow and the sense that there is a plan.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Trying a new thing this year and being positive:

1. Pena shortened swing looks good

2.  Meyers exit velo is a great sign

3. Hader is filithy

Just kidding, this fucking season will be a train wreck.    Valdez is a head case, Pressly is old, Singleton is the new can't hit fat ass, Montero blows, Abreu is old and slow bat speed, we didn't upgrade anywhere except closer.   I'm including manager. 

13 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Trying a new thing this year and being positive:

1. Pena shortened swing looks good

2.  Meyers exit velo is a great sign

3. Hader is filithy

Just kidding, this fucking season will be a train wreck.    Valdez is a head case, Pressly is old, Singleton is the new can't hit fat ass, Montero blows, Abreu is old and slow bat speed, we didn't upgrade anywhere except closer.   I'm including manager. 

We suck and your positive spin sucks.

wait, I just read the rest of your post.

that’s better 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Macklemore said:

He's doing exactly what he was hired to do.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Any comparison to the NFL is a fool’s errand. Baseball is a regional sport. It just is and trying to argue differently is fruitless. With that established, if you tell Apple (or Peacock on Sunday mornings, or ESPN on Sunday nights) “we’ll give you the rights to exclusively broadcast this game nationally…in every market except the markets of the two teams that are playing” they are going to tell you “ok. Well, you’re taking away 90% of the audience. So we’ll discount the rights we’ll pay you by 90%”.  And keep in mind in the case of the Apple TV Friday night game, unlike they NFL, there are ~14 other games going on at the same time. The value proposition just isn’t there if you are giving fans in Houston and New York another option to watch the game. 

Of course, what does this all mean for the fan? Not a lot directly. It’s not like all that extra money Apple is paying MLB is really going to make a direct dent in a team’s fortunes (Crane and all the other owners get more money. But will he use that to invest and go above the luxury tax threshold? Maybe. Maybe not.)

That said, yeah, MLB’s distribution system is broken. They’ve admitted it with all the work they are trying to do to get out from under the RSNs. As a fan, maybe it’ll get better, but it’ll never get to the point where we have everything we want. All sports are going to more of this (re: selling more and more rights to streaming only services).  There is going to be a lot of more of this before it stabilizes.

@Wulaw Horn did the math on a lot of this.

The true cost to get what you and I want is astronomical and at a pricepoint that very few fans would actually pay.

Yeah/ I think that’s the best podcast we’ve ever done. Everyone gets this so wrong on the distribution models. It’s just not even close it has to be RSA’s. 
the only thing I will say is this- the blackout rules are waaaaaaay too stringent.  There should not be the ability to black out games in area where the games are not carried on a reasonable tier of package. 

• Hook 'Em 2