John Calipari to Arkansas?

naija

29 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Scott Drew is prominent in KY’s conversation.

If I'm Scott Drew I don't leave Baylor for Kentucky.  Drew can coach for as long as he wants at Baylor.  Kentucky is toxic, and you could be out of a job in 2 to 3 years.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

If I'm Scott Drew I don't leave Baylor for Kentucky.  Drew can coach for as long as he wants at Baylor.  Kentucky is toxic, and you could be out of a job in 2 to 3 years.  

Yeah, but sometimes people are hungry for more. It's a legacy move. Most coaches dream of coaching at blue bloods, not a rape and murder enabling school in Waco fucking Texas. 

Posted (edited)

Scott Drew is still a damn good coach but also feels like a bit of a risk. 

Since Tang left, Baylor has taken a huge step back defensively and they haven't advanced out of the round of 32. It feels like Tang played a huge role in Baylor's success. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

For pure enjoyment, I encourage you to watch Calipari’s last postgame press conference. He is such a little weasel. He totally throws the team under the bus. Makes me miss Jimbo’s amazing postgame press conferences even more. 

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Beard getting cucked out of the Arkansas job by Calipari is rather funny

Except Beard supposedly turned down piggy's offer of ~$5M per according to ESPN. 

53 minutes ago, John80 said:

The good news is Cal is gone and the bad news is our athletics director is an idiot. The next coach can't be any more obnoxious and unlikeable than Cal.

Pitino was spotted at Keeneland this weekend, could the band be getting back together? 

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cal from KY to Arky is pretty much Jimbo from FSU to aggy

or choosing Barbs over Snows bbq. 

10 hours ago, chemHORN said:

Coaches don't think like this.

21 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Pitino back in Kentucky would be an amazing shitshow to watch

Restaurants in Lexington are deploying slipcovers as a defensive measure  as we speak. 

• Haha 1

Kentucky has failed hard in the tournament for 3 years straight. Ever since the NIL became a thing, they lost their recruiting edge and have not been able to out-recruit everyone else. He's not going to do well in Arky, but I'm sure he will make a shitload of money off them. 

If I'm Drew, I leave BU in a heartbeat.

1) He gets paid more.

2) He gets an awesome college bball job.

3) if he success despite the KY dysfunction, he's a badass who gets paid more.

4) If he fails and is fired, BU would hire him back in no time and pay him more (because their replacement is not going to win a title).

Arkansas needs a rock star coaching name who can recruit top tier talent. Muss could not do that, and he didn’t fire up the boosters. Calipari is big buds with John Tyson who will be funding a lot of this. Helm get the nil money he needs.

36 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Kentucky has failed hard in the tournament for 3 years straight. Ever since the NIL became a thing, they lost their recruiting edge and have not been able to out-recruit everyone else. He's not going to do well in Arky, but I'm sure he will make a shitload of money off them. 

nil and portal have nuked the blue bloods

paying $175k for a star hs kid to be a back up is a thing of the past

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Ever since the NIL became a thing, they lost their recruiting edge and have not been able to out-recruit everyone else. 

Screenshot_20240408-122052.thumb.jpg.ef2186dcbe6542b157dfe254970dcc74.jpg

I have to ask... when did "the NIL become a thing" because last year's class was ranked....checks notes... #1. 

He may have shit the bed with that talent, but he was getting talent. 

And for good measure, here's his current class before the announcement, another 4 5 stars and ranked behind some nobody named Duke.  

image.thumb.png.566a8e6f7ffefd82d8523f9af305db96.png

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

He may have shit the bed with that talent, but he was getting talent. 

He has always gotten talent.  He can't coach that talent 

Rodney Terry has more NCAAT wins in the last 2 seasons than Calipari has since 2019. 

Edited by Js1

51 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Arkansas needs a rock star coaching name who can recruit top tier talent. Muss could not do that, and he didn’t fire up the boosters. Calipari is big buds with John Tyson who will be funding a lot of this. Helm get the nil money he needs.

They were doing fine in the portal and with recruiting, and I’d argue recruiting isn’t that big of a deal now with the portal. Muss had 2 EE and a S16 3 out of the last 4 years. His first year was the covid cancellation. Muss was doing fine basketball wise except for this year. I’m guessing the team issues this last year didn’t sit well with a lot of Arkansas folks. 

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

They haven’t lost their recruiting edge. They lost their coaching edge. They’ve had the best recruits for forever it just Cal is stuck in his system from the late 90s and won’t adjust. 

41 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

nil and portal have nuked the blue bloods

paying $175k for a star hs kid to be a back up is a thing of the past

the blue bloods have been nuked by the utter shit pile that is American high school basketball, theres no recruiting advantage when all 5 stars are busts

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Having a completely different team every year doesn't work. Every class should have a few highly rated players and a few that will stick around and do the dirty work that's necessary to win.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

the blue bloods have been nuked by the utter shit pile that is American high school basketball, theres no recruiting advantage when all 5 stars are busts

Well, surely they can't ALL be bust. [Looks at this year's draft class] Oh.

Posted (edited)

During NIL era:

Calipari's UK teams are 71-30 past 3 seasons.  For example, Chris Beard was 67-31 his final three years at TT before Texas hired him.  

They have been 3 seed, 6 seed and 2 seed.  All three of those teams have been upset the first weekend of the NCAAT.

Cal clearly had talent and he clearly coached that talent.  They were very good teams that lost early in a single elimination tournament.  It happens.  All you can do is put yourself in the best position you can.

Its going to be very interesting to watch.  IMO, it worked out for all parties.  Cal could've gone to a Final 4 next year and UK fans would've wanted him out.  

Plus, he will have NIL backing

Edited by Don Johnson

Kentucky was done with him, he'd lost most of his power and autonomy and was just a matter of time before they terminated him so he left before they could. Cal won when he had overwhelming talent, he was routinely outcoached. For multiple reasons that talent gap is no longer there and he didn't adjust to the portal era.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

He's made it to the Sweet 16 or further 15 times.

The last time he made it past the first weekend was 2019. His best days are long gone but thanks to Arkansas for taking him off our hands and avoiding an ugly exit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

NCAA tournament wins in the last 5 years at Arkansas and Kentucky: 

Musselman 8

Calipari 1

Who cares about talent if you can't win with it? The landscape has changed where portal > HS talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

When a coach routinely has top 5 talent, they should make it to the Sweet 16 often . . . at least half the time, I'd say, if not more.  At UK, he did so 8 times in 15 seasons.  Seems good, not great.  

His record at reaching the Sweet 16 overall is 15 times in 32 seasons.  Given that he got his 4th UMass team there, I'd say he should probably be considered (again) a good, not great coach.  More Mack Brown than Nick Saban, as an example.

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Since the transfer portal started, I don't think Cal has advanced to the 2nd weekend. 

This is the most enjoyable thing about the portal. The portal levels out the talent and exposes the coaches that were winning simply because they were buying recruits. Coach Cal is one of those IMO.