Texas @ Houston Series Thread

Horny Bull

David Pierce is to baseball what Charlie Strong was to football. 

two decent coaches who came from lower programs with the AD thinking they would come here with the resources and talent they didn’t have and do damage. 

to Pierces credit he actually won but I think the rubber is starting to meet the road now and just like Charlie he’s in over his head. 

Good thing for us CDC has nailed his coaching hires so far! Rodney Terry is still in wait and see but I still believe CDC hands were tied with that one and imo if Beard wouldn’t have fucked himself Texas is probably a top 10 program.  So I think CDC has earned our trust in making a good decision. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Yeah, I'm there as well. At least I've saved myself the effort of driving to Orlando for a weekend of watching this shit.

I mean still go. As bad as the Astros/Horns are nothing beats watching live baseball. Just focus your efforts on yelling at Pierce 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

David Pierce is to baseball what Charlie Strong was to football. 

two decent coaches who came from lower programs with the AD thinking they would come here with the resources and talent they didn’t have and do damage. 

to Pierces credit he actually won but I think the rubber is starting to meet the road now and just like Charlie he’s in over his head. 

Good thing for us CDC has nailed his coaching hires so far! Rodney Terry is still in wait and see but I still believe CDC hands were tied with that one and imo if Beard wouldn’t have fucked himself Texas is probably a top 10 program.  So I think CDC has earned our trust in making a good decision. 

Chuckles and Pierce is a horrible comparison. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I mean still go. As bad as the Astros/Horns are nothing beats watching live baseball. Just focus your efforts on yelling at Pierce 

Watching live baseball, it checks the box.  Yelling at DP, checks the box.  Replying to CDC about DP on X when he's talking about baseball, checks the box.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

in all of texas, the us - the University of Texas couldn’t find a pitching coach ??

Apparently, only DP is up to the task.  This smells a lot like what  caused Mack’s demise.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Levi said:

Chuckles and Pierce is a horrible comparison. 

More like Herman. Both always come frustratingly close to being really good or great, but get in their own ways. 

2021 was DP’s version of the 2018 Sugar Bowl season 

Edited by Fletch

The thing with Pierce is I’m not sure there is a good enough comparison for recently fired Texas coaches. He actually has skins on the wall. I guess Herman fits but even then what did he do outside of the sugar bowl year relative to Pierce? Pierce went to the CWS 3 times and won or shared the conference title multiple times. We’re rightfully going to fire a coach that a large majority of programs wouldn’t even think about firing if they found themselves in the same situation. Not sure Herman, Chuckles, Shaka etc, fall under that assumption. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the Herman comparison is apt. Collects, but can’t properly utilize, talent. Players seemingly regressing. Difficult personality to work for and cycling through too many assistants. Teams don’t look motivated at all and drop too many games they should out coach and out talent. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Apparently, only DP is up to the task.  This smells a lot like what  caused Mack’s demise.

mack’s demise was saban and his agent wanted a big raise and needed a ponzi to get suckered into their scheme 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I think the Herman comparison is apt. Collects, but can’t properly utilize, talent. Players seemingly regressing. Difficult personality to work for and cycling through too many assistants. Teams don’t look motivated at all and drop too many games they should out coach and out talent. 

Pierce developed way better than Herman did, and he acquired better overall talent just not at the rate that he should as a coach at Texas. I’ll also say that players tended to play hard for both coaches. Especially for Herman, we are were always physical.

I think the assistants angle looking more on point as the days go by. Have the same staff for most of your tenure then switch it up when cracks start to show. They’re both pretty stubborn as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Levi said:

The thing with Pierce is I’m not sure there is a good enough comparison for recently fired Texas coaches. He actually has skins on the wall. I guess Herman fits but even then what did he do outside of the sugar bowl year relative to Pierce? Pierce went to the CWS 3 times and won or shared the conference title multiple times. We’re rightfully going to fire a coach that a large majority of programs wouldn’t even think about firing if they found themselves in the same situation. Not sure Herman, Chuckles, Shaka etc, fall under that assumption. 

It’s easy for Pierce. His personality and coaching style ain’t it for the NIL/portal era. It’s no coincidence that he’s regressed since 2021

I just can't wrap my head around the complete dearth of pitching talent. Sure, the Santos and Mercer injuries were bad luck, but Pierce had to know about Rigney's fucked up delivery and certainty of his demise. Same (or similar) with Witt. Unwise to put that much pressure on him 

So here we are throwing uber-JAGs Whitehead and Grubbs out there. Nothing at all against those guys, who I think give it their all, but they aren't UT weekend starters.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Levi said:

Pierce developed way better than Herman did, and he acquired better overall talent just not at the rate that he should as a coach at Texas. I’ll also say that players tended to play hard for both coaches. Especially for Herman, we are were always physical.

I think the assistants angle looking more on point as the days go by. Have the same staff for most of your tenure then switch it up when cracks start to show. They’re both pretty stubborn as well. 

The biggest Pierce-Herman similarity is how 1-2 bad recruiting classes can have you on the street in a hurry. 2019 for Herman. 2020 and 2021 are now the classes that are plaguing Pierce. 

Pierce neglecting HS pitchers is akin to Herman neglecting OL/DL recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Herman mostly flatlined in years 2-4.  Pierce is regressing this year.  Personally, I'm not quite ready to fire him yet, because he has achieved more than Herman ever did, but the program is moving backwards and if he doesn't turn it around soon I get the sentiment that he needs to be gone.

3 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

The biggest Pierce-Herman similarity is how 1-2 bad recruiting classes can have you on the street in a hurry. 2019 for Herman. 2020 and 2021 are now the classes that are plaguing Pierce. 

Pierce neglecting HS pitchers is akin to Herman neglecting OL/DL recruiting. 

That and being a complete fucking dickhead