Conan O'Brien Must Go

RPM

Watch the new Hot Ones with Conan on YouTube if you want to see one of the most insane things you’ve ever seen ever. 

Watched it the other day and I was cry-laughing by the end. Total insanity.

Pretty much everyone does it on that show, but Conan complimented the host on the questions. It’s one thing to hear that from some actor but to hear it from a talk show host who has three decades of experience is another. Must feel awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Watched it the other day and I was cry-laughing by the end. Total insanity.

Pretty much everyone does it on that show, but Conan complimented the host on the questions. It’s one thing to hear that from some actor but to hear it from a talk show host who has three decades of experience is another. Must feel awesome.

i have the opposite reaction to those questions.  he will research something to ask a question, but it always feels like it is just a question to show off that he's researched.  here, it was "your birthday is the same as the day they launched the show. any significance to that?"  that, like all of those similar ones that he tries to come up with for his guests, comes off to me more of "look what I found" than an interesting thread to pull on for discussion.

it's a weird thing to complain about but they always seem teacher's-pet-ish to me and designed to get the guest to be impressed by him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Thailand episode has me cramping up from laughing. Spicy!

imagine being on vacation and conan passes you on one of those little boats with a chicken hat on squeaking a rubber chicken.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

imagine being on vacation and conan passes you on one of those little boats with a chicken hat on squeaking a rubber chicken.

and holding a black dick in a bag. There were several WTF did I just see head spins after they passed.

Edited by RPM

Posted (edited)

I went to one of his TBS tapings in Burbank and ended up on the front row. Conan came out and shook hands with everyone up front and we were all impressed with how tall he is in real life. The dude really is a large guy. 

But what's impressive about Conan is how he just has this incredible natural ability to make people laugh. He came out for twenty minutes before the show and answered questions from the audience and had people laughing. No warm-up comedian. 

Also been to the other shows - Colbert, Meyers, Fallon, Kimmel - and they all had warm up comics. Heck, even The View had a warm-up comic. 

Conan didn't need a warm-up. Just came out and nailed it. It's incredible how well this guy connects with people.....whether in a studio or third-world country. 

Edited by Sweetnsourpoke
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/18/2024 at 12:04 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

I felt like his talk show style just got old and tired (at least for me), but this looks like it could be worth watching.

I was a loyal fan. He weirded out around 2005 and then moving to TBS was a kill shot.

On 4/19/2024 at 12:40 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Watch the new Hot Ones with Conan on YouTube if you want to see one of the most insane things you’ve ever seen ever. 

I was completely grossed out but couldn't look away.

21 hours ago, 'stache said:

I remember a time that I thought Conan wasn’t that funny. I must’ve been clinically depressed or something. So in for this!

In the 90s, I regularly watched Late Night for the post-monologue sketches. Actual Items and satellite TV were a goldmine of random comedy genius. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We watched all four last night and it’s been a long time since I heard my wife laugh so hard out loud so much. I guess that could be evidence of the state of comedy these days.

All four eps are very funny. In Ireland his meeting with the genealogist is hilarious

If you like this stuff, check out
. The Cuba episode was epic for so many reasons. May be the best show he's ever done.

Yeah that series was great. Only watched the first new one and to me it came across as a bit forced and scripted.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:14 PM, TexPx said:

Yeah that series was great. Only watched the first new one and to me it came across as a bit forced and scripted.

This is how I felt, too. It's not bad but Conan Without Borders seems a lot more genuine. The Haiti episode is awesome and reminds me of the No Reservations Beirut episode.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2024 at 5:47 PM, Texzilla588 said:

We watched all four last night and it’s been a long time since I heard my wife laugh so hard out loud so much.

Hah. Similar experience. We watched the first one together late Sunday night. I enjoyed it and got plenty of laughs, but was getting really sleepy by the time it ended and headed up to start getting ready for bed. Wife stayed up and watched another 2 episodes and I could hear her howling laughing multiple times as I was falling asleep. That's a rather uncommon occurrence. If anything, I'm usually the one audibly laughing when we're watching something truly funny. 

One thing I LOVED about the Thailand episode is that he didn't include any of the Hollywood cliches with Thailand........elephants, tuk-tuks, monks, hookers, etc. He did do the floating market and Muay Thai but still. He stayed away from the sleezy parts of BKK and focused on the real Thailand. The charm of the people, the street food, etc. Rock climbing. What travel show goes to Thailand and does rock climbing. 

I lived in Bangkok for 5 years and the one thing you miss is the people. Sweetest, funniest people you'll ever work with......and Conan captured that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Been enjoying his Podcast on Sirius XM (Channel 104) for a couple of years now, as Howard Stern has gotten pretty stale. Conan has such a quick wit off the cuff. Sona and Matt compliment the show pretty well.

I have watched Norway and Argentina and loved them. My wife is pretty sensitive about comedy that is mean-spirited or makes powerless people the butt of jokes, so she did cringe a few times. I don't think he is intentionally doing this, as he makes fun of himself quite a bit, but it is a balancing act.

On 4/22/2024 at 6:52 PM, RPM said:

If you like this stuff, check out Conan Without Borders. The Cuba episode was epic for so many reasons. May be the best show he's ever done.

Also his secretary/assistant has at least a couple of huge interesting things in her sweaters but unfortunateIy I can't quite put my fingers on them. If she can't get laid in Serbia there's a word for Serbian dudes but I won't repeat it here

Edited by mr. sunshine

On 4/24/2024 at 12:25 PM, austingirl said:

This is how I felt, too. It's not bad but Conan Without Borders seems a lot more genuine. 

Feel the same way so far after watching the Norway episode. Somehow being extra "Conan" and simply yelling more and cavorting doesn't seem as funny to me now. 

On 4/19/2024 at 10:43 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i have the opposite reaction to those questions.  he will research something to ask a question, but it always feels like it is just a question to show off that he's researched.  here, it was "your birthday is the same as the day they launched the show. any significance to that?"  that, like all of those similar ones that he tries to come up with for his guests, comes off to me more of "look what I found" than an interesting thread to pull on for discussion.

it's a weird thing to complain about but they always seem teacher's-pet-ish to me and designed to get the guest to be impressed by him.  

Thank you.  His show is great, but the amount of attention he gets for allegedly being a great interview is absurd. 

• Hook 'Em 1