UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

9 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I didn’t realize intimidating chants scared you so much 

staggering lack of self awareness is staggering.

Protests are fine.

Intimidation of groups of people is dead fucking wrong.  fuck you and anyone who allows situations like Cooper Union, the literal harassing intimidation of others.

And NO there is not evidence I have seen that harassing intimidation happened at UT yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Protests are fine.

Intimidation of groups of people is dead fucking wrong.  fuck you and anyone who allows situations like Cooper Union, the literal harassing intimidation of others.

And NO there is not evidence I have seen that harassing intimidation happened at UT yesterday.

Spit Take GIF

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I didn’t realize intimidating chants scared you so much 

Devil's advocate as I love me a good march, but some kids just want to learn, looking at you Asian/Nigerian/Brazilian student walking through the west mall.  Is it ok to chant intimidating shit at black or hispanic students?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Protests are fine.

Do you see a difference between intimidating chants and literal harassment? 

should the neo nazis in Charlottesville been shut down with brute force from the state because of their chant of “Jews will not replace us”? That’s a pretty intimidating chant, is it harassment?

• Hook 'Em 2

The school has time, place and manner restrictions they intend to enforce.

Do UT's time, place, and manner restrictions violate the constitution?  I honestly do not know.  But that seems to be what Hartzell is hanging his hat on.  If not, protesters either need to obey them or risk being arrested.

And by the way the protesters in masks are pussies.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Devil's advocate as I love me a good march, but some kids just want to learn, looking at you Asian/Nigerian/Brazilian student walking through the west mall.  Is it ok to chant intimidating shit at black or hispanic students?  

Is it ok to shout in their face and harass them? No. If theyre just chanting and paying them no mind as they walk by? It’s ugly, but I don’t see why that should be shut down with the force of the state

Edited by SubliminalHorn

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

Do UT's time, place, and manner restrictions violate the constitution?  I honestly do not know.  But that seems to be what Hartzell is hanging his hat on.  If not, protesters either need to obey them or risk being arrested.

You need to pull your head out of the fucking sand and watch the footage from yesterday. Protesters were being compliant with police officers, and STUDENTS THAT ARE PAYING A FUCKING FORTUNE TO BE ON CAMPUS AND ARE ENTITLED TO BE THERE were being teakettled and rounded up and arrested for having the temerity to have an opinion that the governor didn't like.

Don't turn off your fucking brain and lick boots on this one, sack. Be better than that.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

Is it ok to shoot in their face and harass them? No. If theyre just chanting and paying them no mind as they walk by? It’s ugly, but I don’t see why that should be shut down with the force of the state

I think there's varying degrees and you and I probably agree with where the middle ground is.  Maybe not.  "Jews go home" is just as bad as "blacks or orentals go home" imo.  But is that where the line is drawn?  IDK tbh, but this is nuanced.  Right to protest sure.  Hostile learning environment?  Meh.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the school is basically just enforcing its time, place, and manner restrictions.  You can say what you want so long as you do not cross the threatening or inciting imminent violence line.  But that does not mean you get to do it wherever you want on campus.  Time, place, and manner restrictions that are reasonable are perfectly lawful.  If a group violates lawful time, place, and manner restrictions, they should be arrested/dispersed.  No matter who the group is.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

should the neo nazis in Charlottesville been shut down with brute force from the state because of their chant of “Jews will not replace us”? That’s a pretty intimidating chant, is it harassment?

"Jews will not replace us"  singularly, isn't deserving of shut down with brute force.

"Death to Jews", "Hitler was right",....  Abso-fucking-lutely.

Also, literally chasing Jewish students and banging on the windows of a gathering of Jewish students is beyond the pale.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

"Jews will not replace us"  singularly, isn't deserving of shut down with brute force.

"Death to Jews", "Hitler was right",....  Abso-fucking-lutely.

Also, literally chasing Jewish students and banging on the windows of a gathering of Jewish students is beyond the pale.

I wouldn't be ok if Bubba and his KKK krew did this to black or Hispanic students, so I think this is an issue too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

I wouldn't be ok if Bubba and his KKK krew did this to black or Hispanic students, so I think this is an issue too.

Many of these protesters are cowardly hiding their faces.  Just like the KKK pussies.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I'm saying exactly what you said.  It's nuanced.  Chanting, "The Jewish state is committing genocide" isn't the same as, "globalize the intifada".

And most specifically chanting, "globalize the intifada" while chasing Jewish people.  Thats fucking disgusting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You need to pull your head out of the fucking sand and watch the footage from yesterday. Protesters were being compliant with police officers, and STUDENTS THAT ARE PAYING A FUCKING FORTUNE TO BE ON CAMPUS AND ARE ENTITLED TO BE THERE were being teakettled and rounded up and arrested for having the temerity to have an opinion that the governor didn't like.

Don't turn off your fucking brain and lick boots on this one, sack. Be better than that.

I paid to be at UT also.  That did not give me the right to stage organized protests in unauthorized areas.

Shit I would have loved to protest in Greg Davis' office.  But I would have been arrested no matter how polite I was.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

I think the school is basically just enforcing its time, place, and manner restrictions.  You can say what you want so long as you do not cross the threatening or inciting imminent violence line.  But that does not mean you get to do it wherever you want on campus.  Time, place, and manner restrictions that are reasonable are perfectly lawful.  If a group violates lawful time, place, and manner restrictions, they should be arrested/dispersed.  No matter who the group is.

Fair point, there are limits and procedures to gatherings of a certain size.  I've seen/walked past 100 of them over the years as an adjunct faculty member.  And we've all been to events on campus of a certain size where they was UTPD, right?  Nothing shocking about that.  I've seen a few heated exchanges, as we all have.  And 99% of the time, cooler heads prevail and worst case---UTPD has to disperse the group peacefully.  Happens every single day at some campus around our country over some topic or issue.  

While I have certain views on the subject of Palestine/Israel, what truly surprised me...was the rapid and massive deployment of state troopers.  I knew UTPD would be there, I knew tempers would run hot...but I did not think that on Speedway, the nexus of the campus would be overrun by riot police sent by Abbott.  Most people did not see that coming.  That was obviously pre-planned as a show of force for Abbott to appease certain people.  The folks I spoke with last night had no idea it would escalate that quickly.  UT has well-established guidelines for protests and gatherings and events and that's all well and good and 99% of the time its respected by all parties.  But yesterday took a surreal turn for performative politics.  There are logical steps between yelling from a crowd/holding a sign and being beaten/arrested by State Police.  You can warn them, cite them, have UTPD inform them of their violations as students, disband them, suspend them, etc.  But to go from UTPD saying "Please stay behind these barricades" to DPS beating them with batons and throwing them in the back of a paddy wagon for holding signs.  That's a pretty big leap.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

to DPS beating them with batons and throwing them in the back of a paddy wagon for holding signs.  That's a pretty big leap.  

I am just catching up on this thread but did that actually happen? I saw video of a reporter falling/being tackled but no baton beating. 

12 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

If the police force you outside the area your allowed to be protesting, how is that a violation by the protester? 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

to DPS beating them with batons and throwing them in the back of a paddy wagon for holding signs.  That's a pretty big leap.  

That's the kind of shit that gets bootlickers like Rex hard. The only stuff really. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I'm saying exactly what you said.  It's nuanced.  Chanting, "The Jewish state is committing genocide" isn't the same as, "globalize the intifada".

And most specifically chanting, "globalize the intifada" while chasing Jewish people.  Thats fucking disgusting.

I know.  I’d have. A major issue with maga hat wearing bigots chasing minority students around.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I am just catching up on this thread but did that actually happen? I saw video of a reporter falling/being tackled but no baton beating. 

A few were shoved into vehicles and outside the chains with batons.  I don't think there were any overhand beats to the head, but they were certainly shoved around and pushed down.  The arrest records are still obfuscated as of now despite there being a clear chain of disclosure.  The Governor has to marry his force posturing with embarrassed alumni with legal due process of those arrested with the media fallout with half the Regents being disgusted by this with the Tower.  This is gonna get uglier before it gets better.  

Edited by YGIFS

@Bevo I see your negs, but don't understand them. Again, the stuff you're posting about is bad. But I don't see the connection between it and what happened on campus. The protesters weren't violent. They weren't destructive. They weren't threatening. At least, I have not see any evidence of that. Have you? 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Yes,

As distasteful as it is, people have the right to protest and say things I disagree with.   People don't have the right to threaten others.

What are you talking about?

This sucks. The way things have been going nationally with protests, there was bound to be an overreaction by police somewhere. Unfortunate that it had to be at UT, if this is true.

I've only seen a few videos online, but my initial reaction is to be skeptical of what's shared there.

Just now, F250 said:

What are you talking about?

LOL.

You know exactly what I am talking about.  For the last 6 months Jewish students have been routinely harassed and chased on several campuses across the country.  Its fucking wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

A few were shoved into vehicles and outside the chains with batons.  I don't think there were any overhand beats to the head, but they were certainly shoved around and pushed down.  The arrest records are still obfuscated as of now despite there being a clear chain of disclosure.  The Governor has to marry his force posturing with embarrassed alumni with legal due process of those arrested with the media fallout with half the Regents being disgusted by this with the Tower.  This is gonna get uglier before it gets better.  

Thanks, the why this is snowballing it does seem like it is going to get bad at the Tower.

I am going to be annoyed if Hartzell ends up resigning over this

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

LOL.

You know exactly what I am talking about.  For the last 6 months Jewish students have been routinely harassed and chased on several campuses across the country.  Its fucking wrong.

Sir, we are in the UT protests thread.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Fuck anyone that supports these terrorist sympathizing morons.  

Yes, none of the protestors were upset that innocent people in Gaza are being killed. It's all about sympathizing with terrorists. Thanks for stopping by. 

I feel like there are a lot of threads being tied together that don’t necessarily belong getting tied together. This stuff exploded across the nation.  There have absolutely been some vile anti-Semitic activities that went beyond the pale on college campuses. And it seems like that got conflated to what was planned at UT, which was just speech, and that probably exploited by bad-faith actors who deliberately wanted to confuse the matter and posture as hard asses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hornbri said:

Thanks, the why this is snowballing it does seem like it is going to get bad at the Tower.

I am going to be annoyed if Hartzell ends up resigning over this

Yeah, lots of opinions on Jay on this thread.  I'll check my bias at this time.  But there is obviously going to have to be some fall guy for this.  UTPD Chief Stephens may be an obvious choice, but she simply did what they've been doing for a long while at campus protests.  It'd be hard to make a case against her leadership since DPS just rolled right over her and her team.  somebody from student affairs or vice president for student groups, maybe.  Some of the Regents are pissed, and rightfully so...even the ardent Abbott supporters.  But none of them are gonna leave over this.  UT System/Chancellor have been strangely quiet, may be something brewing there.  But most of these would be regarded as hollow resignations/terminations since this story went national/viral and right quick.  So I think Hartzell may be the Fall Guy after all.  I have inside baseball opinions on his tenure and what his future with UT could be, but I'll save that for later.  But yeah, somebody's gonna have to eat a shit sandwich on this and I doubt it's gonna be Abbott.  If the heads of DPS can survive the slaughter or dozens of children's faces beyond recognition at Uvalde, I'm pretty sure they can weather arresting some browner students being salty on an idle Wednesday.