Waiting for the sky to fall (Catch all tornado thread)

Royalfan5

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

At the risk of derailing things the Katrina bulletin from the NWS will always go down as the worst.

Yeah the 26 days between Katrina and Rita were crazy.  I remember following the live blog of Michael Bennett who kept the data center operational during the storm and aftermath.

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2007/11/05/provider-that-survived-katrina-exits-new-orleans

That scar tissue from Katrina turned Houston into an absolute clusterfuck for Rita with people over panicking and evacuating when they were under very limited threats completely fucking the roads up.  I guess my experience during Hurricane Alicia (also in 1983) had me ready to hunker down and ride it out. We wound up playing flag football at Christian's Tailgate even as the winds were starting to blow in and my buddy from Naperville who had fled the storm initially wound up driving back to Houston in the middle of the storm.

On the positive front at least Limas Sweed caught that TD pass at the Horseshoe between those two storms.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

I don’t know why anyone would live in OK during the month of May. They should just close the state down and pick up where the left off in June.

Bad idea jeans.  You think all those Okies would go to Kansas or Arkansas.....no they would come HERE to Texas.

• Royalfan5 changed the title to Waiting for the sky to fall (Catch all tornado thread)

Living on the prairie southwest of Ft. Worth, as a kid, we had several tornados. None never hit the house, but it tore up a bunch of fence and destroyed my new treehouse that I hadn't even stepped foot in. We had a big tornado in our subdivision about 7-8 years ago, it was past my folks house, but without the ability to verify the distance it was extremely scary until we heard from them.

CHIEF

From time to time I travel for work and, as fate would have it, I’m at the Colcord hotel in downtown OKC.  
Next door is a tall building with a bar on top so, if it starts to get sporty I’ll do some on location reporting.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, CoTex said:

From time to time I travel for work and, as fate would have it, I’m at the Colcord hotel in downtown OKC.  
Next door is a tall building with a bar on top so, if it starts to get sporty I’ll do some on location reporting.

Make sure your phone is fully charged for photos and videos.

38 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Was at the Colcord last week. Dinner and drinks at Vast, the tall building place you mentioned. Go on up there and take pictures of the incoming doom. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Motion to rename thread title, because....today is going to be interesting.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

A regional outbreak of severe weather with multiple strong,
   long-tracked tornadoes, as well as very large hail and severe
   thunderstorm gusts, is expected over parts of the south-central
   Plains from this afternoon through evening.

OK, Southern KS, Red River region...
   Thunderstorms are expected to develop by mid/late afternoon along
   and ahead of the dryline, near the eastern TX Panhandle/western OK
   line or 100W longitude into southern KS, then strengthen quickly to
   severe levels as they move eastward.  Given the already very
   favorable parameter space by late afternoon, and increasingly so
   into early/mid evening, the concern is high for at least a few
   cyclic, tornadic supercells producing multiple significant tornadoes
   along potentially long paths.  The threat for such tornadoes, as
   well as very large/destructive hail, will be maintained well into
   the late evening, and may even increase as hodographs further
   enlarge beneath the LLJ.  Some uncertainty lingers as to how many
   such supercells will track across the outlook area, but given the
   unusually favorable environment and increasing confidence, a "high
   risk" outlook is warranted for areas between roughly the I-40
   corridor in OK and the US-54/500 corridor in southern KS.

Screenshot2024-05-06080157.thumb.png.ccf80e5c22b3495745ff63bed45faf8e.png

Fuck Oklahoma in particular

7 minutes ago, CoTex said:

These okies have got some balls.  They got a weatherman broadcasting live from a damned helicopter.  I guess he lost the bet or drew the short straw.

He won the bet.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, CoTex said:

These okies have got some balls.  They got a weatherman broadcasting live from a damned helicopter.  I guess he lost the bet or drew the short straw.

How in the fuck do you file THAT flight plan??

KOCO has always had a met forecasting from a helicopter, saw what you will but the okies are masters at tornado coverage, I like watching the news stations because they never get excited, always deliver it matter of fact.

The last Moore tornado was caught on its infancy and followed by a news chopper.

• Hook 'Em 1

KOCO below had a helicopter
These names have to be made up: Omega, Loyal, Alpha, Oneida, those sound like government installations or a code when you string them together.

Sky 5, that dude always provides the best shots in storms

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Using night vision to see it. Windmill farm needs to prepare its anus.  

I’ve seen one rip a blade off a windmill.  Luckily it dropped it in a freshly planted cornfield and not someone’s living room.

Posted (edited)

Major tornado threat has shifted toward the Tulsa region. Small town of Barnsdall about to get hit. Bartlesville is going to be under the gun soon.

Edited by bolverk