Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Yeah, somebody has to sell the shit those fucking nerds create.

Are you sure that you understand what degrees fall under liberal arts?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

I sure as hell don’t. Most UT fans are happy that we’re joining the best football conference in the land. We have a lot more in common with the SEC schools than any other conference. I absolutely hated the talk of us joining the PAC 12. Football season is going to be a hell of a lot more fun.

SEC was the best move.  Conferences are about athletics.  We aren't collaborating with conference mates for poetry slams.

I mean when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to see a kid do a damn chemistry experiment?

And these SEC schools, like all schools in the South, are getting a lot more applications, and thus better standing academically, for a myriad of reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

It certainly has changed mine. I back him 100% now that I see UT avoiding what other universities seem to be welcoming. It's a national disgrace. Of all the things to have a massive coordinated sit in camp in protest at American universities, it's a rally for Palestinians? What the fuck? 

I dunno. You might think the UT protesters would act like those at Columbia, but then again, maybe not. Lots of protests are going on that you hear nothing about in the national press.

We obviously pay more attention to UT due to our affiliation and proximity, but would it have made a big splash in the news without the police response being what it was? I think there are too many variables to make a definitive claim that it'd have ended up being a shit show.

You can say you support Hartzell preemptively calling in DPS, but you also can't deny that it ratcheted up tensions and inflamed passions.

Berkeley takes light touch on Gaza protests. Columbia called the police

May 2 (Reuters) - At Columbia University, tensions between the administration and students protesting over Israel's war in Gaza have reached the point that scores of New York City police marched onto campus to clear an encampment and arrest demonstrators who had commandeered a classroom building.
It was the second time in as many weeks that the administration has called on police to control the protests. Students have been suspended, and threatened with expulsion. Police are now stationed around-the-clock on campus.

Nearly three thousand miles away at the University of California, Berkeley, the scene has been far different. Student demonstrations have so far taken place without arrests or disruption of campus operations.

The contrast in how protests have played out at the two prestigious institutions - both with long histories of student activism - illustrates the range of factors at play in how school administrations, students and the police navigate what can quickly turn into a full-blown crisis.

South of Berkeley at UCLA, part of the same university system, police on Thursday morning flattened a pro-Palestinian camp, a day after it was attacked by pro-Israel counter protesters. Authorities at the Los Angeles school had declared the encampment an unlawful assembly.

Similar crackdowns have occurred at colleges across the country, from Arizona State to Virginia Tech and Ohio State to Yale. Police have arrested around 2,000 campus protesters to date.

Still, some universities - including Berkeley, Northwestern and Brown - have managed to avoid confrontations between the police and students.

Education experts say these cases offer lessons in keeping tensions from boiling over, a key one being a university's experience with balancing student activism against pressure from donors, interest groups and politicians.

Berkeley Chancellor Carol Christ has allowed students to maintain a protest space on campus since they began erecting tents April 22 on the steps of Sproul Hall, where Martin Luther King gave a 1967 civil rights speech. Dan Mogulof, a spokesman for the university, said that remained the case Thursday, despite a scuffle Wednesday evening between the co-founder of a Zionist activist group and a pro-Palestinian protester. It was the first violence after days of peaceful assembly.

"We are urging everyone to avoid engaging in pointless provocation and physical conflict," Mogulof said, adding that Christ was in talks with encampment leaders after the Wednesday incident led to three minor injuries. He said the school would respond to violence in line with University of California policy.

That guidance tells administrators to avoid police involvement unless it's absolutely necessary and the physical safety of students, faculty and staff is threatened. That policy is rare, with most universities having some kind of regulation that prohibits permanent encampments or outlaws overnight student activities on campus.

The University of California system has seen in the past where police involvement can lead.

In a 2011 Berkeley protest during the Occupy movement against economic inequalities, campus police clubbed and jabbed students with batons. Then-Chancellor Robert J. Birgeneau later apologized, and the UC system shifted to the policy of restraint Berkeley spokesman Mogulof described.

Amid current protests, administrators across the country are seeking to ease tensions with talk. In Illinois, Northwestern University reached a deal with protesters to remove tents and sound systems in return for a new advisory committee on investments, a key policy for students who object to their school's financial ties to companies that back Israel's government.

Protesters at Brown University in Rhode Island also agreed to take down their encampment in return for a vote by the college's corporation on whether to divest funds from companies tied to Israel's military attacks on Gaza.

Still, some deals have failed to resolve tensions. While Portland State University in Oregon agreed to pause donations from Boeing, a company that makes attack helicopters used in Gaza, students there have nonetheless occupied the library, scrawling messages like "END GENOCIDE NOW" on windows.

Other factors at play as institutions navigate balancing free speech and campus security include how students react to daily developments in the Middle East as well as those at other campuses in the United States.

Columbia has often proven to be a beacon for protest movements at other universities. President Minouche Shafik has said the campus has become "intolerable," citing factors ranging from antisemitic language to loud protests going into the night.

"One group’s rights to express their views cannot come at the expense of another group’s right to speak, teach, and learn," Shafik said in a Monday statement.
Adversaries of pro-Palestinian protesters accuse them of antisemitism, a claim Columbia student protesters and their faculty advocates strongly deny.
Free-speech attorney Zach Greenberg said no matter how hateful or offensive the speech on campuses, it was not a justification for police crackdowns.

"It's always better to counter the speech you dislike with more speech," said Greenberg, a program leader at the college campus rights advocacy group FIRE.

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

lol this thread

Absolute best thread on the surl right now.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

hipsters and Mechanical Engineers?

Again with the anti-engineering hate speech?  You can not oppress my people.  We will survive.  We will THRIVE.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Absolute best thread on the surl right now.

Again with the anti-engineering hate speech?  You can not oppress my people.  We will survive.  We will THRIVE.

E E, M E, even silly chemisty

Engineers must be set free

We have brains we have might

Engineers will win the fight 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

We've proven we can win the NC in any conference; we don't need the SEC to play good football.  

On the flip side, name a good academic institution in the SEC aside from Vandy?  Maybe Florida?

And the best academic institutions in the Big 12 were? Kansas and ???? This argument was always dumb. Oklahoma was solidly in the top 5 in the 14 team Big 12, they might barely be top 10 in the 16 team SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it apt and amazingly amusing that this thread has devolved into the pro-engineering and conference alignment debate.

And I'll own my part in the protest going rogue. 

Focusness is a lost art.

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Focusness is a lost art.

It may be a lost art, but I'm not sure it's really a word. it's like "gifted" IMO. Why use focusness when one can use 'focus' or gifted when one can use the various forms of 'give'?

As in I gave, you gave, we have given....

We are descending into grammar chaos and it's so sad.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It may be a lost art, but I'm not sure it's really a word. it's like "gifted" IMO. Why use focusness when one can use 'focus' or gifted when one can use the various forms of 'give'?

I will not suffer the tyrannical oppression of a grammar nazi!

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323449136_Focusness_Extraction_from_Images_for_Automatic_Camera_Control_by_Measuring_Objectness

Focusness Extraction from Images for Automatic Camera Control by Measuring Objectness

Screenshot_20240503_194117_Chrome.thumb.jpg.35a80c4ce9876dc6e5b068f3acfbeeed.jpg

Edited by BurntEyes

35 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Bill in Sinton is rolling in his grave

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So you went to SWTx?

On Friday or Saturday?? Frequently.

Edit - Speaking of.. that is a location where I'd be more than happy to join a protest. These organizers are doing it wrong.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, immamac said:

So when is the surly protest of sobriety event? 

Is it well funded and organized? Is the surly sober brigade counter protest also well funded and organized?

I'm available to the highest bidder as long as no engineers are involved.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Is it well funded and organized? Is the surly sober brigade counter protest also well funded and organized?

I'm available to the highest bidder as long as no engineers are involved.

Sobers are allowed as long as they support the non sobers 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

And the best academic institutions in the Big 12 were? Kansas and ???? This argument was always dumb. Oklahoma was solidly in the top 5 in the 14 team Big 12, they might barely be top 10 in the 16 team SEC.

Not even sure how to respond to this, other than to say...why do you think some of us wanted to leave to join the PAC-10 or Big 10 back in the day?  I haven't seen anyone here claim that the Big 12 was a dream academic conference.

As for conferences being about sports...duh but guess what...most of us didn't play sports (I mean, I was on the power lifting team at UT, but I don't think that counts since it's not a scholarship sport), we played school, so we like to be associated with other top schools.  

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

It certainly has changed mine. I back him 100% now that I see UT avoiding what other universities seem to be welcoming. It's a national disgrace. Of all the things to have a massive coordinated sit in camp in protest at American universities, it's a rally for Palestinians? What the fuck? 

I was crucified for suggesting his actions might’ve had merit. In hindsight, I was kind of a pussy about it. He absolutely did the right thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Not even sure how to respond to this, other than to say...why do you think some of us wanted to leave to join the PAC-10 or Big 10 back in the day?  I haven't seen anyone here claim that the Big 12 was a dream academic conference.

As for conferences being about sports...duh but guess what...most of us didn't play sports (I mean, I was on the power lifting team at UT, but I don't think that counts since it's not a scholarship sport), we played school, so we like to be associated with other top schools.  

If you want to join the Big Ten then I have no respect for you. I was on board with the PAC16 but now over the years watching them go down the drain, it 100% clear that joining the SEC was the right move.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Shit we’ve got a handful of posters here who’s eyes haven’t even dried from that event yet.  Tracks pretty well with their other overreactions, but still. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Pretty sure it’s 72 virgins across the board. Pick your favorite jersey and go. 

It's an attractive offer, but I'm also going to need a top-of-the-line camel, and all the figs I can eat.  

• Haha 2

The pro-Israelis caused the violence at UCLA.

How Counterprotesters at U.C.L.A. Provoked Violence, Unchecked for Hours

A New York Times examination of more than 100 videos from clashes at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that violence ebbed and flowed for nearly five hours, mostly with little or no police intervention. The violence had been instigated by dozens of people who are seen in videos counterprotesting the encampment.

The videos showed counterprotesters attacking students in the pro-Palestinian encampment for several hours, including beating them with sticks, using chemical sprays and launching fireworks as weapons. As of Friday, no arrests had been made in connection with the attack.

To build a timeline of the events that night, The Times analyzed two livestreams, along with social media videos captured by journalists and witnesses.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/05/03/us/ucla-protests-encampment-violence.html?smid=url-share

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Surly Leftists : Antifa should punch anyone they decide is a NAZI, nothing wrong with their judgement.  Righteous assault is their only option.

You been reading a different message board than me? Or are you just projecting your frustration onto the posters on surly you dislike?

25 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Monkey man at Ole Miss has been doxxed. 

So now he'll probably make a few hundred thousand from a GoFundMe and have a 40 year career in Mississippi politics. 

Not sure if true but they’re saying monkey boy is from Texas. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It’s already out there.  Apparently name is JP Staples.  From Dallas.  

Now we need to do the same with all the racist pro-Palestinian protestors shouting antisemitic stuff.

• Hook 'Em 7

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

The pro-Israelis caused the violence at UCLA.

How Counterprotesters at U.C.L.A. Provoked Violence, Unchecked for Hours

A New York Times examination of more than 100 videos from clashes at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that violence ebbed and flowed for nearly five hours, mostly with little or no police intervention. The violence had been instigated by dozens of people who are seen in videos counterprotesting the encampment.

The videos showed counterprotesters attacking students in the pro-Palestinian encampment for several hours, including beating them with sticks, using chemical sprays and launching fireworks as weapons. As of Friday, no arrests had been made in connection with the attack.

To build a timeline of the events that night, The Times analyzed two livestreams, along with social media videos captured by journalists and witnesses.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/05/03/us/ucla-protests-encampment-violence.html?smid=url-share

Anyone who was involved in violence should be arrested and charged. 

As I said upthread, the probability that contentious demonstration will devolve into violence and clashes increases to 1 the longer they go on.  It is completely unreasonable and non-sustainable for a select group of people to claim the right to hold a permanent live-in protest in a place they have no right to occupy, and either police it themselves (they have no right to do that) or demand that the public authorities provide security and support for them as they claim public (and sometimes private) spaces for themselves to the exclusion of the rest of the public or the actual owners.

Camping isn’t speech.  Allowing it to get this far is a massive failure of responsibility and foresight.

And this is all the point, the point isn’t to petition or exercise free speech, it’s to cause a disruption. 

• Hook 'Em 7

59 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It’s already out there.  Apparently name is JP Staples.  From Dallas.  

God dammit. Going to need some clarification. Is he from Dallas proper? Is he from a northern suburb with a high number of people who like to sell houses and dabble in possible insurrection?

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread