Why Biden Can't Get In With The Young Voters at UT

WBT

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd be curious to see when people think conservatism veered away from small government, state's rights, individual freedoms, etc.

W's Patriot Act/Homeland Security and Medicare Part D for me

I was probably too young to pay attention before that

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Some of them will probably vote against Biden, becuase Palestine. 

This is 100% correct.  I've had the conversations, multiple times, with at least a couple of dozen new voters.  They won't vote for Trump, but they won't vote for Biden, either.  I'm talking smart, educated students, but they're naive and unaware of the nuance of what is going on.  Biden will suffer because of it.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WBT said:

when people think conservatism veered away from small government, state's rights, individual freedoms,

The Republican "small government-state’s rights” has always been a patriotic propaganda smoke screen to keep White Christians/Capitalists in power … and to resist progress … to resist equal rights … to resist protecting the environment ... to resist the very existence of modernity and the 20th and 21st centuries. 

They’ve veered at least since Eisenhower’s military-industrial complex >>> more with Nixon-Kissinger war crimes (etc)  >>> a bit more with Reagan regime >>> then the Bushes, ramping up with W’s neofascist Patriot Act/Homeland Security and theocratic faith-based initiatives >>> full on fascist theocracy with MAGA Trump.

And we see this smokescreen and Republican fascism playing out on UT campus right now.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

The Republican "small government-state’s rights” has always been a patriotic propaganda smoke screen to keep White Christians/Capitalists in power … and to resist progress … to resist equal rights … to resist protecting the environment ... to resist the very existence of modernity and the 20th and 21st centuries. 
They’ve veered at least since Eisenhower’s military-industrial complex >>> more with Nixon-Kissinger war crimes (etc)  >>> a bit more with Reagan regime >>> then the Bushes, ramping up with W’s neofascist Patriot Act/Homeland Security and theocratic faith-based initiatives >>> full on fascist theocracy with MAGA Trump. 

Once you crack the not-subtle code of “small government for me, suffocating theocratic micro-managing for thee,” their bullshit message makes perfect sense.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is 100% correct.  I've had the conversations, multiple times, with at least a couple of dozen new voters.  They won't vote for Trump, but they won't vote for Biden, either.  I'm talking smart, educated students, but they're naive and unaware of the nuance of what is going on.  Biden will suffer because of it.

biden is suffering because he doesn't give a fuck about young people and young people issues

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

biden is suffering because he doesn't give a fuck about young people and young people issues

I don't think that's true, but he needs to do more to show that that's not the case.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

He cannot go “Free Palestine” without losing a shit ton of older moderate democrats, you know, people who actually vote. The kids who say they won’t vote for him probably weren’t getting out of bed to vote anyway. The youths were supposed to start saving us like 20 years ago, and yet, here we are.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

He wants to forgive all student debt. He wants to give women autonomy over their own bodies.

What the fuck is the other side doing about their “issues”?

5 hours ago, safe sex said:

I don't think that's true, but he needs to do more to show that that's not the case.

hey I'm team biden. 

but he's leaving a ton on the table because he's a fucking boomer who can't get past simple boomer issues. 

i think he is trying but he's an old school politician fighting an enemy that doesn't care about the rules because they aren't just immoral but pretty much amoral.

biden saving union jobs in the Midwest looks and sounds good to boomers but we all kind of know that ship has sailed and young people cannot at all identify with that kind of thing when they and their friends are getting the old shareholder value layoffs. 

union jobs lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He cannot go “Free Palestine” without losing a shit ton of older moderate democrats, you know, people who actually vote. The kids who say they won’t vote for him probably weren’t getting out of bed to vote anyway. The youths were supposed to start saving us like 20 years ago, and yet, here we are.

i know i know if course your are right but fuck. 

i don't even want him to go free Palestine but you know some part of him enjoys watching protesting kids get their heads cracked by state police riot goons 

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i don't even want him to go free Palestine but you know some part of him enjoys watching protesting kids get their heads cracked by state police riot goons 

Bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

The infrastructure bill helps everyone, young people included. The chips bill helps everyone, young people included. Strengthening unions helps all workers, young people included. Wages for everyone are higher when unions are strong, union and non-union workers alike. Global warming is a problem that will affect young people more than it will affect me. Biden acknowledges it and is trying to address it. He’s not doing enough, but the other side denies that the problem even exists. The repeal of Roe v. Wade affects young people, not grandma and grandpa. Biden wants to codify abortion rights into law. Young women (and real men) should be turning out in droves to oppose the GOP.

What the fuck more do young people want? The next perfect president will be the first perfect president. The alternative is such a looming fucking disaster that it’s insane it’s even a question among decent, normal, educated people about whom to vote for.

All of this.

And when they had their "perfect" presidential candidate who ran twice? They were loud as fuck on social media about him, but they didn't show up and vote for him in the primaries. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

hey I'm team biden. 

but he's leaving a ton on the table because he's a fucking boomer who can't get past simple boomer issues. 

i think he is trying but he's an old school politician fighting an enemy that doesn't care about the rules because they aren't just immoral but pretty much amoral.

biden saving union jobs in the Midwest looks and sounds good to boomers but we all kind of know that ship has sailed and young people cannot at all identify with that kind of thing when they and their friends are getting the old shareholder value layoffs. 

union jobs lol. 

Have you seen how the young liberals light up when a Starbucks or While Foods unionizes? Did you see them posting when airline maintenance workers won a contract? It’s not just steel unions at play. As a general matter, they see unions as a pushback on big corporations. He’s not perfect, but goddamned, he’s about as liberal as one can expect from an 80 year old white guy from Scranton. He’s also evolved a ton over his 50 year career, i.e., his views have “progressed” with the times. Meanwhile the hyenas on the right are literally clamoring for the 1950s again (except the tax rates which they seem to forget).

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Where in the fuck are you pulling this completely fabricated bullshit from? Why don't you just come out next and tell everyone that he's brain damaged and his handlers are injecting him with drugs to do speeches. Just completely made up bullshit, straight out of Newsmax. Get the fuck out of here with this stupid unhinged garbage.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Where in the fuck are you pulling this completely fabricated bullshit from? Why don't you just come out next and tell everyone that he's brain damaged and his handlers are injecting him with drugs to do speeches. Just completely made up bullshit, straight out of Newsmax. Get the fuck out of here with this stupid unhinged garbage.

of course you're right I'm just parroting Newsmax

He could get behind legalizing weed, and they would suddenly set aside Palestine issues, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, scottsins said:

He could get behind legalizing weed, and they would suddenly set aside Palestine issues, etc.

Definitely agree he should do that, not sure how big a difference it would make, but every vote counts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Have you seen how the young liberals light up when a Starbucks or While Foods unionizes? Did you see them posting when airline maintenance workers won a contract? It’s not just steel unions at play. As a general matter, they see unions as a pushback on big corporations. He’s not perfect, but goddamned, he’s about as liberal as one can expect from an 80 year old white guy from Scranton. He’s also evolved a ton over his 50 year career, i.e., his views have “progressed” with the times. Meanwhile the hyenas on the right are literally clamoring for the 1950s again (except the tax rates which they seem to forget).

Joe was the one who got Obama to change his position and embrace same sex marriage. (Maybe “embrace” is the wrong word but you know what I mean.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

of course you're right I'm just parroting Newsmax

I'll make my point clearer. Making up shit straight out of thin air with no evidence and then presenting it to the world as reality, where it can then be repeated, is what the Right does. Way to go. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Definitely agree he should do that, not sure how big a difference it would make, but every vote counts. 

Anti-weed groups have been hinting the rescheduling is soon to happen this year. Think it has to have a public comment period and would go into effect in October 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The infrastructure bill helps everyone, young people included. The chips bill helps everyone, young people included. Strengthening unions helps all workers, young people included. Wages for everyone are higher when unions are strong, union and non-union workers alike. Global warming is a problem that will affect young people more than it will affect me. Biden acknowledges it and is trying to address it. He’s not doing enough, but the other side denies that the problem even exists. The repeal of Roe v. Wade affects young people, not grandma and grandpa. Biden wants to codify abortion rights into law. Young women (and real men) should be turning out in droves to oppose the GOP.

What the fuck more do young people want? The next perfect president will be the first perfect president. The alternative is such a looming fucking disaster that it’s insane it’s even a question among decent, normal, educated people about whom to vote for.

Basically what I wanted to say but couldn't at midnight last night. Well put. The current alternative to a less-than-perfect Biden is terrifying.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Biden’s been an extremely consequential president in a good way for young people, on everything from worker protections to reproductive rights to climate.  His accomplishments would be even more impressive if not for judicial and legislative obstructions from the same people who support his opponents.

On the other hand, it’s easy to imagine him having the wrong feelings when watching protests get broken up even though there’s no evidence for that at all.

So I guess it’s a wash. 

Don't be so subtle. I'm not sure hayden is going to get it. 

Young college students at a somewhat progressive university, which is the demographic I was referring to, tend to latch onto one issue.  Right now, that's Israel's continued actions in Gaza and the West Bank and the United States' refusal to lean on Bibi and the gang.

Roe V Wade is done, and is off the table.  Unionization is completely foreign to them.  Legalized weed might move the needle.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Unionization is completely foreign to them.

I think unions are having a moment in this country again. And with Starbucks, Apple Stores, food service and other retail business etc increasing in unionization efforts, I wonder if that's true though. These are the type of places typically staffed with in-college or recent grads. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Basically what I wanted to say but couldn't at midnight last night. Well put. The current alternative to a less-than-perfect Biden is terrifying.

Biden is lucky the election isn't this month.  Hopefully this entire issue is out of the news cycle by then.   Because the radical left is completely fucking him over at the moment.  If they don't show up and vote for him they are fucking him.  And by having these losers protesting lead off national news daily they are fucking him.   A big reason Biden won was he carried the college educated white vote and in particular women.  Are all these women still going to show up and vote when the face of the "other team" is campus takeover nonsense with a risk junior's commencement is cancelled?  Biden is doing absolutely nothing wrong but it doesn't matter.  People can put their head in the sand all they want but liberalism run amok is absolutely going to help Trump get back in office.    

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Biden is lucky the election isn't this month.  Hopefully this entire issue is out of the news cycle by then.   Because the radical left is completely fucking him over at the moment.  If they don't show up and vote for him they are fucking him.  And by having these losers protesting lead off national news daily they are fucking him.   A big reason Biden won was he carried the college educated white vote and in particular women.  Are all these women still going to show up and vote when the face of the "other team" is campus takeover nonsense with a risk junior's commencement is cancelled?  Biden is doing absolutely nothing wrong but it doesn't matter.  People can put their head in the sand all they want but liberalism run amok is absolutely going to help Trump get back in office.    

Which is why I’ve said earlier these collective college protests that all started across the country at the same time sure seems fishy…

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, I'm starting to become worried that this could spiral into a real issue for the fall election. I'm hoping it will die down over the summer as many kids go home and we (hopefully) get a cease-fire of some sort in Gaza. But the shit's getting worse at Columbia and at other campuses across the nation. I'm sure Trump is loving the chaos. We cannot lose focus and that is doing whatever it takes to defeat Trump in November.

9 minutes ago, YChang said:

Why is it our country's ills are always the liberals fault?

They aren't always.  They are at the moment.  1/6 should be playing on a loop this cycle for a reminder of the chaos that "team" creates.  Instead, the today show is leading off the news daily with this nonsense.   1/6 and Roe V. Wade is how you win a national election.  Not fucking radical left Gaza protests holding campuses hostage.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Making up shit straight out of thin air with no evidence and then presenting it to the world as reality, where it can then be repeated, is what the Right does. Way to go. 

JFC both sides do this and you know it. Anyone who doesn't believe that has had their head in the sand for at minimum the last 7 years.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, YChang said:

I think unions are having a moment in this country again. And with Starbucks, Apple Stores, food service and other retail business etc increasing in unionization efforts, I wonder if that's true though. These are the type of places typically staffed with in-college or recent grads. 

Unions are empirically problematic with the corruption and all.  But they are absolutely necessary to counterbalance corporate management.  And corporate management is run amok in this country with bad incentives and no real curb on their power or behavior.

One might think that dopey idealists could appreciate that.  Because that's what we're dealing with among young voters is dopey idealists that let the good be the enemy of the perfect.

I think there are a lot of more mature progressives that don't care for Biden's "middleness," but will pull the donkey lever when it comes down to it.  The young voters, like the Bernie Bros, I worry about.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

JFC both sides do this and you know it. Anyone who doesn't believe that has had their head in the sand for at minimum the last 7 years.

Um.  Hayden did it on a message board post.  That's a different thing in every way from the fabrications coming from the right and the orange liar-in-chief.

I despise pandering political liars.  Biden has done a fair share of it over the years.  But it all pales in comparison to the orange man and the current GQP.

Signed, a disgusted and ashamed long-time GOP voter who can't see pulling the elephant lever ever again.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Um.  Hayden did it on a message board post.  That's a different thing in every way from the fabrications coming from the right and the orange liar-in-chief.

I despise pandering political liars.  Biden has done a fair share of it over the years.  But it all pales in comparison to the orange man and the current GQP.

Signed, a disgusted and ashamed long-time GOP voter who can't see pulling the elephant lever ever again.

Congrats, I don't see myself ever pulling the lever for the big D either. I honestly hate both parties, just hate the Democrat party way worse. FYI, IMHO Biden is the biggest pandering political liar of my lifetime.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 11

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I largely agree.

As you're aware, I'm sure, my position on the Palestine issue is pretty clear in that I think Palestinians have a fundamental right to self-determination. Israel's 50-year-old occupation and settlement policy are as responsible for the radicalization of the population as anything else. While I believe the conduct of the IDF in Gaza has been overly reckless and cruel to civilians, I also fully acknowledge that Israel has a right to self-defense and support its defeat of Hamas's military.

As an American citizen and taxpayer, I'm really uncomfortable with the degree of military support and diplomatic cover we provide their government, which allows them to operate in such a brazen manner in both Gaza and the West Bank. 

The kinetic nature of warfare, with all its ongoing deaths and destruction, inflames passions and gives a sense of urgency and energy to protests. I fully understand that, but there's little that these protestors can accomplish in the short time necessary to affect what's happening RIGHT NOW. So, I'm not sure this particular issue is where I'd invest all my blood, sweat, and tears if I were a student activist. 

Now, I'm not saying it's unworthy of protests, and, to be honest, 60-some-odd protestors (initial count from yesterday) on a campus of 50,000 students probably isn't far out of line with how people prioritize issues. To me, it's the heavy-handed response by Hartzell and the State that's created the media firestorm.

Having said all that, they (we all) need to be focusing more on the bigger picture, which is defeating theocratic fascism and white nationalism at home as that encompasses so many fucking other issues (free elections, racial equality, abortion rights, privacy rights, LGBTQ rights, gender equality, public education, etc.). Without tackling this fundamental shit, we won't be able to tackle any of the other challenges we're facing, including climate change and assaults on democracy abroad.

I'd love those kids to be building a much broader coalition focusing on fighting authoritarianism at home, giving them the moral authority and context for their protestations against Israeli policies in the Occupied Territories. 

Great post, and wasn't meant to singularly call out Palestine (although that is the big issue of the day).  My frustration with the younger generation lies in that many of them seem to have ONE issue that they center their entire personality around (be it Gaza, tiktok ban, student loans, etc) and they will willingly ignore EVERYTHING else and gleefully punish those in power if they don't get exactly what they want on that one issue. Behavior with potentially horrendous ramifications if widespread enough.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Great post, and wasn't meant to singularly call out Palestine (although that is the big issue of the day).  My frustration with the younger generation lies in that many of them seem to have ONE issue that they center their entire personality around (be it Gaza, tiktok ban, student loans, etc) and they will willingly ignore EVERYTHING else and gleefully punish those in power if they don't get exactly what they want on that one issue. Behavior with potentially horrendous ramifications if widespread enough.

Yep and part of Biden and team's job as politicians is they have to pivot/adapt and continue to communicate to all electorates. But hopefully smart/competent people on his staff is thinking about the youth vote right now.