Am I crazy for passing on a job because I don’t want to work a 5x8 schedule?

I don’t have an offer, but a contract company wants to place me at a midstream company in downtown Houston where I would make roughly $40,000 more a year than I do now. Two things concern me, one, I have never done contract work and the perceived instability worries me. Second, the client won’t budge on the work schedule. Nearly all my career in this field (O&G) has been on 4x10s or 9/80 schedules.

I don’t like what I do, it is strictly a job to provide for my family and I find no personal satisfaction in it. Therefore, my work/life balance is crucial. So that every other Friday off is important to me. Weekends are busy and tiring with taking care of kids and shit around the house, so those Friday’s were “me” days for the most part where I would do photography and do day trips.

This contract company obviously doesn’t want me to commit to something and be unhappy as it helps no one. And perhaps another gig will come up sooner than later that fits what I am looking for. But the money is excellent and I am very burnt out on my current project (and company).

Am I a fool to pass and wait? Already bounced this off some friends, but always good to hear other opinions. I don’t know much about the job other than description and it’s for a midstream company. But I don’t know what the expectations and stress levels are at that company.

This comes off as sounding like a millennial who expects that everything will be handed to them in a neat, wrapped up package with a bow that includes everything they ever wanted even though the company doesn't know a single thing about you as an employee.

Maybe after you work there for a few months and they get to know your work ethic and value they would be more open to loosening the schedule requirements.

Edited by Orange^White

How do the benefits compare? Specifically vacation. An extra 40k could pay for some nice vacation time if they are offering you more PTO.

I need more specifics on that. But talking with another guy on my project that is jumping ship for the same company (different client though), it sounds like equal vacation but another week of sick days. I assume other benefits are a wash. He won’t pay insurance as he is single, but I am sure for my family it will be more or less what I pay now.

This comes off as sounding like a millennial who expects that everything will be handed to them in a neat, wrapped up package with a bow that includes everything they ever wanted even though the company doesn't know a single thing about you as an employee.
Maybe after you work there for a few months and they get to know your work ethic and value they would be more open to loosening the schedule requirements.

Hahaha. I am far from a millennial. It is not uncommon to negotiate these things. The other guy I mentioned in the post above was told he would work a 5x8, but he asked for 9/80 and that client agreed. If I was unemployed, there would be zero question about taking the job.

However, you are right on one thing, perhaps they would be more flexible after some time.
  • Like 1

I think you pose a reasonable question.  In addition to perhaps gaining flexibility over time, how long do you think this gig would last?  You may kind of get "enforced" vacations between contract gigs, no?  40k is a pretty good lump, but if it has to tide you over for 90 days without pay while waiting for another contract, it loses a bit of its luster, but it still would probably put you ahead and you get a shit-ton of me time.

Reasonable question - I've worked a version of 9/80 (half day every Friday) for the past 8 or 9 years. I was discussing with a co-worker the other day what $ value I'd assign to it, and we both concluded somewhere upwards of 30k/yr to give it up. For 40 I would consider it depending on other PTO/comp factors. Also, obviously it depends on how much the 40k means to you. If you are only pulling down 80k now then it's a no-brainer. If you're pulling in average Surly money of 250k+ then it means less. Only you can decide that.

Hahaha 250k. Goddamn surly lawyers. No, not making that much. Household income is good, we have to budget but not too strictly. That $40 would be very nice and would cover the mortgage and a few bills.

As for between contracts...yeah, that freaks me out. If I were single with no kids, he’ll yeah I would do it. But with the added responsibilities, it could be nerve racking.

How long is the contract? Do you think you can find another job easily after the contract is over? Do you get paid for vacation, holidays, and sick days? Does the agency provide health insurance and 401K? 

Full benefits through agency. 3 weeks vacation, one week sick. I am about to look at the insurance cost they sent the other guy going to work for them. He also knows someone that works there and asking her about culture and what not. Contract is a year and could renew. The guy currently working there has been renewed a couple of times.

Also, consider if that extra 40k lasts long term it could add several extra years to your retirement, so you might be trading free time now for a longer retirement.

That’s true. But at this point in my life retirement seems like a pipe dream. I feel like I am going to retire at noon on the day of my funeral.

One question, who is telling you that 9/80 or 4/10 is out of the question?  If it's the contract agency, they may not be asking the client as their ONLY concern is not blowing the deal.   

I don’t have any reason to believe that he didn’t ask for it. This other guy I work with asked for 9/80 and got it. Different client.

I am starting to lean towards pursuing the job.

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t have any reason to believe that he didn’t ask for it. This other guy I work with asked for 9/80 and got it. Different client.

I am starting to lean towards pursuing the job.

The reason I ask is that I've worked with contract agencies in the past, and they are always worried about the wrong question causing someone on either side to have second thoughts.   Say they reach out to the client, and tell them that Patricio really likes the job/offer but he would prefer to work 9/80s, so is that an option.  Client says no, but now wonders if he should continue to interview others as he doesn't want someone that is unhappy.    If I'm the contract agency, I just tell you it's not an option because the client has never mentioned it.

Maybe they did ask but always be aware the contact agency is mainly concerned about their cut not making you OR the client overly happy.  

Are "contract" workers considered subcontractors?  And, if so, can't subcontractors set their own "reasonable" work hours and,  conversely, "contractors" (the "employer") can not dictate to subcontractors strict hours of operation and "micro-manage" their time?

There has to be some separtion.  If contractor dictates to subcontractor everything he can and can't do then that relationship is bunk and the "contract" worker is a an employee.

10 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Are "contract" workers considered subcontractors?  And, if so, can't subcontractors set their own "reasonable" work hours and,  conversely, "contractors" (the "employer") can not dictate to subcontractors strict hours of operation and "micro-manage" their time?

There has to be some separtion.  If contractor dictates to subcontractor everything he can and can't do then that relationship is bunk and the "contract" worker is a an employee.

This is kind of a different deal.  More like a temp agency.  PS would actually be an employee of the contractor leased to the employing company.  As Eddie notes, sometimes that relationship creates a bit of inflexibility as the contracting agency isn't willing to rock the boat for something the employer might be perfectly willing to do.

• Like 1

Just to follow up, I talked with the guy currently in that position. It’s a bit different than what I have done as this would be for an owner/operator. He claims it is boring. Hahaha, I don’t want boring, but a little bit of a slow down from what I do now would be nice. I told them let’s move forward. So now I am waiting to hear if they need to interview me or not.

I love my four 10s mon-thurs. my work is 15 mins from the house. I can work out in the morning, get to work by 730a, home by 630p. the only way i go to five days, is if I can go in early, 6a or 630a. I'm in early riser. I want to get the day over.

1 hour ago, dmtx said:

I love my four 10s mon-thurs. my work is 15 mins from the house. I can work out in the morning, get to work by 730a, home by 630p. the only way i go to five days, is if I can go in early, 6a or 630a. I'm in early riser. I want to get the day over.

My four 10s are M-TH, 6:30-5:00. I've been doing it since november and I like it. I wouldn't go back unless I got a 6:00-3:00. Staying till 5 sucks ass but having friday off eases the pain.

Not crazy. I wouldn't do it either. I work from home and you would honestly have to double my salary to get me back in an office. I'm not posting my pay stub but I'm not taking about going from 25k to 50 either. W/L balance, especially in the stage of life where you have little kids, is paramount in my opinion.

Only take this advice if you want to be as bitter and unhappy as this dude.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Yep, and you have to be stupid thinking that a work schedule will change once they understand your work ethic.   The ONLY time you have leverage is before you’re hired.     And when you’re starting as a contractor, you have even less leverage. 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep, and you have to be stupid thinking that a work schedule will change once they understand your work ethic.   The ONLY time you have leverage is before you’re hired.     And when you’re starting as a contractor, you have even less leverage. 

That's usually how it works. "Oh, you picked up the slack and got shit done when nobody else would step up? Great, that's now one of your permanent job duties."

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I’m not bitter in the slightest.

I can assure you that when I post jobs, if 20 people apply, and all things are equal, if 19 of them just apply and make no requests, and one is already asking for preferential treatment, that one won’t even make it to an interview.

To the second point, all of my employees at this time work a flexible schedule after initially starting on a traditional schedule.

Edited by Orange^White