San Antonio

TexasHooch

Follow up post: the owner did come by and ask how our meal was and I showed him the dry brisket and he went and got me some “from the moist end”. For some reason the bark was trimmed off. Zero smoke ring and zero seasoning.

The sides were straight out of the big tubs from HEB.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, deft said:

Which is funny since you could have gone to numerous hebs with true bbq and gotten much better food

I’ve been getting that as my fix lately. The Rudy’s near me is terrible, Two Bros has been way disappointing recently, and the good spots are too far for a home dinner.

15 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Just wanted to share the shit I am dealing with over here.

Fire City Grill opened up down the street. I gave it a try.

Pics speak for themselves

There's your first clue.  They dub themselves a grill and not a BBQ joint or smoke house. 

Check the connections and batteries on your AWACs.

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of giving my parents five $100 gift cards at various SA restaurants for a Xmas gift when they come in town later this week. The intention isn’t to cover the entirety of their bill but to get them a head start and incentive to go out and try some new places or maybe get back to places they haven’t been in a long time. I’m thinking places like Peggy’s on the Green/Bohanon’s type places. Not averse to including those, or throwin in something like Paesano’s, but really would like to find some newer spot for them. They’re in their mid-70’s and mildly adventurous.

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

The Restaurant at The CIA at The Pearl

Savor is a great option, heard incredible things about it pre-COVID and you can cover the full cost of the food (doesn't include wine pairings, and they don't allow tips) for 4 courses for $122

https://www.savorcia.com/menu/

image.thumb.png.6061e10ea6f211c9e6c744b4b5833f3b.png

Peggy's on the Green is cool if they haven't been there. The Creek in Boerne is on every "best of" list for that area if you are interested (menu)

I really like Southerleigh. Brasserie Mon Chou Chou got rave reviews from some friends I trust implicitly - they like Maverick as well

Mixtli is like $160 pp and prepaid totally but may be a good option. great concept.

Also heard really good things about The Magpie (menu) + website

would they like something like Cured? or high end like Landrace?

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

We are thinking of giving my parents five $100 gift cards at various SA restaurants for a Xmas gift when they come in town later this week. The intention isn’t to cover the entirety of their bill but to get them a head start and incentive to go out and try some new places or maybe get back to places they haven’t been in a long time. I’m thinking places like Peggy’s on the Green/Bohanon’s type places. Not averse to including those, or throwin in something like Paesano’s, but really would like to find some newer spot for them. They’re in their mid-70’s and mildly adventurous.

We've hit Nonna Osteria the past few times in town.  Fun little place, great menu.  Fancy but not pretentious.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Are there any places on the Riverwalk worth going? My insane girlfriend is insisting on going to the Riverwalk during the week and probably in the rain.

Dinner? Drinks? I'm not a big fan of many of the food options down there but for drinks? Sure. Esquire, especially downstairs, although the upstairs is cool too. The bar in the hotel havana is another one, and while technically on the river, it's away from the riverwalk. The restaurant there Ocho is fine, too (better for brunch).

If you get out of the heart of downtown, Elsewhere is a good place, but it's outdoors so pass on it with the rain. I like Tre Trattoria for Italian on the river next to the art museum but it's also better if you can sit outside. Those two are essentially next to each other.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Balcones heights across from a world car Mazda place. Looks like it used to be a taco cabana.

Does World Car Mazda still have that big breasted curvy latina doign their commericals?

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 3:01 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Are there any places on the Riverwalk worth going? My insane girlfriend is insisting on going to the Riverwalk during the week and probably in the rain.

I liked Acenar when we hit it before the last Alamo Bowl

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/24/2024 at 3:01 PM, rage-a-holic said:

To eat or drink? Domingo is kind of upscale Mexican place. Good patio. In nice hotel, Canopy. 

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Can confirm that the new burrito place on Fredericksburg is the tits. It’s called Iguana’s. 

You hyping up some generic burrito chain from California in a San Antonio thread is so perfectly on brand for you. There is a zero percent chance this place is even as good as the Donut Shop that is what, one mile away? For fucks sake drive another 3 miles down Fred and go to Garcias. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If you're wanting a drink specifically and willing to go a bit slightly downtown I’d say La Gloria can be fun. In the Pearl area, but on the river. From there you can look around Pearl. 

Another combo could be going to Shiro, good sushi etc then going to Elsewhere. Cool outdoor bar scene. Again, by river, but not in heart of downtown. 

You hyping up some generic burrito chain from California in a San Antonio thread is so perfectly on brand for you. There is a zero percent chance this place is even as good as the Donut Shop that is what, one mile away? For fucks sake drive another 3 miles down Fred and go to Garcias. 

Yeah but all of the fat food writers are raving about iguanas on insta. Be sure to pull up!

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Does donut shop or garcias have burritos? Never been to either but I’d guess no. You’re comparing apples to oranges, they’re different styles of food. I actually like Tex-Mex over true Mexican food and any other regional Mexican-American food, but Cali has Texas beat in the burrito department. Not even close.

went to Tacos n Salsa on 1604 and damn, their trash can taco was incredible.

https://tnsmexicancafe.com/

Home made flower tortilla, Eggs, Bacon, Potato, Beans, Cheese, and Carne Guisada.

migas taco was ok, i'm a sucker for them but everything in it was too big - like peppers and tortilla chips were size of a quarter.

but damn, the salsa and the trash can taco? amazing.

57 minutes ago, NoName said:

migas taco was ok, i'm a sucker for them but everything in it was too big - like peppers and tortilla chips were size of a quarter.

We've ordered nachos and just some regular tacos before. Surprisingly really good and the fajita had a lot of flavor. I was skeptical because it looks very white peopleish.

59 minutes ago, NoName said:

They were moody’s taquitos in cc, damn good tacos

• Hook 'Em 2