Stand Alone Butcher Shop/Meat Market

dcbc

I can't believe it's been so long since I've made the drive to pick up steaks (or anything else) at this place.  Butcher came out from behind the counter to greet me.  Steaks hand cut in front of me.  In house sausage samples and a link thrown in for free.  Free sliced brisket sandwich when I asked about picking up a packer for Labor Day in a couple of weeks.  My order and bag of charcoal carried to my car.  Beef is black label reserve, which translates to high choice or prime.  Prices are roughly the same or better than the grocery store.  Same place that supplies the meat to our local Top 50 BBQ joint. 

Anybody else regularly make an extra trip to a stand alone butcher.  I need to make a habit of it.  Pics to follow much later since I filled up on a brisket sandwich.

Edited by dcbc

I frequent David's Meat Market in Garland and Hirsch's in Plano.  I love them both but they ain't cheap, brisket at David's is $8-9/lb.  I mainly go for beef short ribs, steaks and sausage.  Hirsch's has just about any type of wood chunks you could ever hope to see, like 30 different types of wood including a few I would never even consider using.  Nothing better than a good meat market, I'd rather pay a bit more and support them whenever possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Salt & Time when I can make it across town to visit them. I think they are opening one south though. Those guys are awesome dudes and have had continually good product since I first met them when they are starting out at the Barton Creek Farmers Market. 

I have read that the restaurant isn't bad either. 

10 hours ago, Hookem2102 said:

Salt and Time is great, a bit pricey but that’s how it goes. 

Awesome spot. 

Yeah, that’s been my takeaway.  I find it hard to justify paying $5 more a pound for a ribeye than Central Market, which is itself pricey.  

On 8/18/2018 at 4:39 PM, dcbc said:

I can't believe it's been so long since I've made the drive to pick up steaks (or anything else) at this place.  Butcher came out from behind the counter to greet me.  Steaks hand cut in front of me.  In house sausage samples and a link thrown in for free.  Free sliced brisket sandwich when I asked about picking up a packer for Labor Day in a couple of weeks.  My order and bag of charcoal carried to my car.  Beef is black label reserve, which translates to high choice or prime.  Prices are roughly the same or better than the grocery store.  Same place that supplies the meat to our local Top 50 BBQ joint. 

Anybody else regularly make an extra trip to a stand alone butcher.  I need to make a habit of it.  Pics to follow much later since I filled up on a brisket sandwich.

I love chewing' the fat with my butcher.  

We tend to hit the stand alone seafood places more though.

• 4 years later...

I got this email today.  I always liked doing business with them for a whole pig or cow head.  They bought Johnny G's in South Austin while their MLK store was closed:

a5f761e2-b343-4a9e-8e6c-3c75e6b54bc6.png?w=401&dpr=2

THE CITY OF AUSTIN HAS FINALLY

FINALIZED THE LAST OF OUR PERMITS!

MLK Renderings

NOW WE CAN FINISH CONSTRUCTION ON MLK

It will be open again before you all know it!

“OLDEST NEWEST BUTCHER SHOP COMING SOON”

IN THE MEANTIME

VISIT OUR SOUTH LOCATION

South near Valentina's BBQ

11600 Menchaca Rd H, Austin, TX 78748

OUR NEW WEBSITE IS LIVE!

HOME DELIVERY IS AVAILABLE

new website

Facebook icon

Instagram icon

Twitter icon

• Hook 'Em 3

• 9 months later...

I’m almost to retirement, and I am still completely confused by meat cuts. It’s ridiculous. 

We wanted to fix a “roast” for New Years Eve and just spent an hour trying to remember which “roast” cuts we like and don’t like. I’m an idiot. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m almost to retirement, and I am still completely confused by meat cuts. It’s ridiculous. 

We wanted to fix a “roast” for New Years Eve and just spent an hour trying to remember which “roast” cuts we like and don’t like. I’m an idiot. 

Are you asking for help?  If so, are you talking beef?  Pot roast (braised to extreme well done) or roast beef (medium rare deli sliced) or steaks (ribeye roast / prime rib to medium rare)?

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't imagine topping a great chuck roast for pot roast.  Low and slow.

This is the way, but don't overlook the importance of searing the roast prior to beginning the slow cook. 

It's actually science: https://oldguykitchen.com/2019/01/04/the-maillard-reaction-a-cooks-best-friend/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Don't make it down much anymore, but always loved Granzin's in New Braunfels.  Every single time I visited family in San Antonio, would stop by there.  Not a huge ribeye fan, but those were the best I've ever had.  Got all kinda other cuts as well as fajitas.  Brisket was kinda hit or miss, but everything else was A- to A+.  Don't have the time anymore for meat pickiness, but still make an effort/expense for Central Market-Westgate, Salt & Time, and Dai Due if I'm on campus and feeling like a splurge.  

I can't remember the last time I was at Longhorn Meat Market, been decades probably.  Need to add that to my spring grilling rotation.  What's the play there?  

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure what's been "debunked" -- the Maillard reaction?  I don't think so.  It absolutely changes flavor.  "Sealing in the juices"?  Debunked.

Yeah....this.  Make a beef stew or pot roast without browning vs. with browning....it's a real-deal taste difference.  It has nothing to do with sealing in the juices.  It is about literally changing the chemical properties (read: taste) of the meat.

And to echo jimmy's response, if you want to make a pot roast, get a chuck roast.  Pro-tip -- cut it into a few large chunks, and brown each one.  More surface area = more browning = more flavor.  You can even make them into pretty presentation cuts -- cut several large cubes in the 6 oz class, and then each piece is its own serving.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure what's been "debunked" -- the Maillard reaction?  I don't think so.  It absolutely changes flavor.  "Sealing in the juices"?  Debunked.

Yes, the sealing in the juices bit. I assumed the poster didn’t know shit about the Maillard reaction given his posting history.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Bullshit. The title/subject of the link he posted was all about the Maillard reaction. 

My apologies.  I must have him mixed up with someone else over the course of the week.  Thank you for assisting in correcting this matter.