2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

trade springer and correa at end of year.  Both are sub 255 hitters and have yet to get better. Cut bait and see what you can get.  Team doesnt have the mental make up to get out of this rut. Atleast the bandwagon will be lighter going into 2019. Going for the reverse jinx here.

Starting today stop dicking around with the lineup.  Springer Bregman Altuve Correa Yuli need to be the first 5 names on the lineup.  Marwin needs to move to LF and Stassi needs to play more often than not, I don't care about Maldo's defense.  Gattis/White DH and Reddick most of the time in RF with Kemp here and there.

Harper, Adams, and Murphy clear waivers. Possible decision today:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/bryce-harper-matt-adams-reportedly-claimed-on-revocable-trade-waivers.html

Nationals sluggers Bryce Harper and Matt Adams were claimed by unidentified organizations on revocable trade waivers, according to Jorge Castillo of the Washington Post (Twitter link). They join fellow left-handed hitting Nats veteran Daniel Murphy as pending free agents who were not able to make it through the waiver wire.

The fact that teams were awarded claims on these players does not, of course, mean that any or all will actually change uniforms. But it does establish a timeline for determining whether or not that will occur. As the Nationals continue to stare at a yawning gap in the NL East race, the team clearly faces some difficult decisions.

Harper reportedly hit the wire on Friday, at the same time as Murphy and several other (then-unnamed) Nats players. It’s certainly possible, then, that these three situations will be resolved early this afternoon. Any players placed on waivers on Friday would be due for a decision today. The Nats can either work out a trade, revoke the claim, or allow the player to go to the claiming team for no compensation.

[RELATED: How August Trades Work]

It is difficult to imagine that the Nationals will simply allow another organization to take over Harper’s contract. After all, the homegrown superstar is a shoe-in to receive and reject a qualifying offer this fall, putting the Nats in line to recoup draft compensation if they can’t re-sign him.

That said, salary considerations and the desire to restock the farm certainly cannot be dismissed as motivating factors. Harper is owed nearly $5MM between now and the end of the season. If the Nationals decide that hopes of clawing back into the NL East race are too remote to warrant further expenditure, then perhaps the team will be willing to engage in real negotiations with whatever organization claimed Harper.

Adams certainly seems likelier to move among the two players. He has devastated right-handed pitching, with a .264/.345/.538 slash and 17 home runs in 238 plate appearances taken with the platoon advantage. His $4MM salary is an easy one to stash in most budgets. And at this time of year, it’s not that concerning that Adams isn’t a terribly flexible defensive player. Organizations in need of the bench pop could surely juggle things for a few days before rosters expand on September 1st. And Adams looks to be quite an interesting postseason asset.

Notably, the timing does leave the Nationals with at least a bit of leverage and remaining wiggle room — particularly, with respect to Murphy and Adams. The club could still hold out for some kind of return, pulling the veterans back if nothing is forthcoming. Then, if the situation in the standings still seems desperate later this month, the Washington organization could place all or some of the players back on waivers — knowing, this time, that they’d lose them for nothing more than salary relief if a claim is placed.

The most interesting factor here, of course, is not yet known: which teams won the claims? The Nationals could be negotiating with any number of different clubs on these three players. Truly, it’s difficult even to guess with any degree of confidence. National League rivals had priority, in reverse order of winning percentage. All three players are plausible targets for a variety of contenders. Particularly with regard to a premium performer such as Harper, it’s even possible that a non-contender could have inserted itself into the process.

It’s also worth noting that, per Castillo, several other Nationals veterans were recently placed on revocable waivers. The list is said to include at least three additional pending free agents: starter Gio Gonzalez, right-handed-hitting slugger Mark Reynolds, and catcher Matt Wieters. Whether or not they cleared waivers has yet to be reported.

Edited by Seasick Sailor

Murphy isn't going to fix this team.  We need an OF.  Our OF is weak as fuck.  I don't want Reddick playing everyday.  I don't want Marwin playing everyday unless he keeps up his August production which is highly unlikely.  Kemp is fine in the 9 hole, but he shouldn't be an everyday player. Marisnick isn't an everday player.   Springer is the only one who should be playing each and every day and he needs to get his shit together.  

I want a bonafide every day starting OF.  McCutchen.  Harper.  

Correa has only been back a few games, but he has got to start doing something productive.  This is a horrific year for him.  He is supposed to be the golden child and he has been the shitstain that is in your tighty whities.  $400-$500 mil??? Child please.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Murphy isn't going to fix this team.  We need an OF.  Our OF is weak as fuck.  I don't want Reddick playing everyday.  I don't want Marwin playing everyday unless he keeps up his August production which is highly unlikely.  Kemp is fine in the 9 hole, but he shouldn't be an everyday player. Marisnick isn't an everday player.   Springer is the only one who should be playing each and every day and he needs to get his shit together.  

I want a bonafide every day starting OF.  McCutchen.  Harper.  

Correa has only been back a few games, but he has got to start doing something productive.  This is a horrific year for him.  He is supposed to be the golden child and he has been the shitstain that is in your tighty whities.  $400-$500 mil??? Child please.

Keep hearing Correa has got to get rust off.  One need look no for further than Cano who spent last 75 games watching from the outside to see that logic is BS.  Unless he is still hurt, which with the amount of coddling given these guys is not imaginable (i.e. springers leg soreness). 

Inability to man up and produce like player(s) should and are capable of and  extreme cautioness by brain trust has his whole thing headed in a bad direction.    

46 minutes ago, KatHorn said:

Keep hearing Correa has got to get rust off.  One need look no for further than Cano who spent last 75 games watching from the outside to see that logic is BS.  Unless he is still hurt, which with the amount of coddling given these guys is not imaginable (i.e. springers leg soreness). 

Inability to man up and produce like player(s) should and are capable of and  extreme cautioness by brain trust has his whole thing headed in a bad direction.    

i'm not making excuses for him, but correa was hurt.  cano was suspended.  cano could've been busting ass for 3 months in the cage and the gym.

but overall i agree, i'm tired of "minor" injuries that turn into dl stints that turn into extended missed time, followed by 2-3 weeks of "getting their timing back".

hopefully this is 1994-95 rockets all over again.

16 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Every time I actually sit down and think about it, it's absurd that NOBODY put in a claim on Verlander last year.

I wasn't too surprised. Most other contenders made a move to shore up their rotations, and non-contenders weren't looking to add an expensive veteran whose contract may be up before their window opens. Plus, he had a full no trade clause and likely would not have gone to a non-contending team.

What is amazing to me is how the 2017 pitcher trades have worked out so far. Quintana, Darvish, and Gray have all under performed with their new clubs.  We got the one pitcher available at the deadline last year who has been worth a shit since. 

2 hours ago, KatHorn said:

Keeping in mind that this brain trust has one world championship already.

3 hours ago, KatHorn said:

Keep hearing Correa has got to get rust off. 

It took him about two weeks to knock the rust off last year when he came back from the thumb injury. 

I assume Cano was still working out / doing drills / etc while he sat out.  Granted he wasn't facing MLB pitching and it was a longer time away.