2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think the homefield woes will be a thing of the past once the playoffs start.

The crowds for this season have been great, but the atmosphere for the playoffs is at an entirely different level. And as good as the Astros are at keeping things loose and taking things one game at a time, it is impossible for a defending champion to keep that championship focus over an entire season.

Once the playoffs begin, Minute Maid will be a scary place for visiting teams.

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

maybe i am a pussy but I want no part of a home field advantage series against Oakland. let's do it all over again and beat either the Yanks or Red Sox in the ALCS and pound the Dodgers in the World Series.

I want IAH - CLE and BOS - OAK for the ALDS for two reasons...

1) Fuck the Yankees

2) BOS - OAK is a much better flight schedule for the chowder heads than BOS - JFK or BOS -LGA to prep them up for the ALCS

Let's be honest I don't see Oakland beating Boston in the ALDS...

1 minute ago, Mez2 said:

Oak is going to be a tough fucking out in the playoffs, I want no part of them until 2019 

Yeah. 'Stros swept OAK on June 12-14. Since then, OAK has gone 60-26 (winning 70% of their games). And a lot of data suggests it isn't fluky. 

That said, BOS, CLE, OAK, NYY - they're all really good. So are the Astros. Probably not a ton of difference between how good any of these teams really are. 

2 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think the homefield woes will be a thing of the past once the playoffs start.

The crowds for this season have been great, but the atmosphere for the playoffs is at an entirely different level. And as good as the Astros are at keeping things loose and taking things one game at a time, it is impossible for a defending champion to keep that championship focus over an entire season.

Once the playoffs begin, Minute Maid will be a scary place for visiting teams.

We were similarly better on the road in the regular season in 2017.

Then the playoffs started and we went 8-1 at MMP and 3-6 on the road.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that happened again.

Edited by Welch

On 9/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, henrygandorf said:

ok so that was a nice weekend, lead is back up to 4.5, with 2 weeks (13 games) left to play.

vs sea / vs laa / @tor / @balt (4)

we're 94-55, a new high-water mark for the season.

last year at this point we were 91-58.

6-7 gets us to 100.  7-6 matches last year's win total.  8-5 ties astros win record (it's 102, right?)

oakland only has 12 games on their schedule (90-60). 

vs laa / vs minny / @sea / @laa

if we can go 8-5, they'll have to go 12-0 to tie us.  those tampa losses were huge.

let's start by going 4-2 this week.  that puts us on pace to clinch in week 2 and have the balt series not matter, so we can get rest and straighten out the rotation the way we want it.

posted one week ago.  4-2 wasn't looking good, but we got there somehow.

if twins can hold on (doubtful) it's a 4.5 game lead (same as a week ago).  worst case it's 3.5 with a week to play.  still in position to potentially clinch before baltimore.

keep winning, get healthy.

#roadsweetroad