Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

is that on a resort?

I don’t know. They’re doing Yellowstone over the next week. They went to the Jackson Hole rodeo yesterday. They sent that pic from their drive this morning. Edit:  her reply to my “what is that barn?” text:  “Mouton barn… it’s like one of the most famous things about Grand Teton.. not sure about it being in movies, but it’s like quintessential Wild West pioneer America.”

IMG_0406.thumb.jpeg.4eb235dec1f7947950a623b0d16825b8.jpeg

Another one. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I don’t know. They’re doing Yellowstone over the next week. They went to the Jackson Hole rodeo yesterday. They sent that pic from their drive this morning. Edit:  her reply to my “what is that barn?” text:  “Mouton barn… it’s like one of the most famous things about Grand Teton.. not sure about it being in movies, but it’s like quintessential Wild West pioneer America.”

IMG_0406.thumb.jpeg.4eb235dec1f7947950a623b0d16825b8.jpeg
Another one. 

I was in that same area 4 years ago to the day.
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 7:29 AM, nnm said:

Sharks are much closer to you in the ocean than you think. Much closer, much more often. 
https://www.mensjournal.com/news/shark-lab-study-how-close-sharks-swim-humans

I was on Matagorda Island last summer with my family, including several kids.  I know what is out there because I have seen it personally many times.  I keep my head on a swivel.  I thought I saw a flash of grey once about five feet away from me.  Then I saw the entire body silhouetted in a wave.  It was probably 5-6' long.  Not sure of type.  Immediately called for everyone to get out of the water.  Had I not seen it and we'd stayed in I am sure one of us would have been bitten eventually.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Decades ago the Navy helicopters that occasionally flew up & down Mustang & North Padre Islands saw lots of sharks in close to shore swimming around the people in the surf. 
Nothing new. Just don’t step on a sand shark.

Years ago I was at Port A with my uncle. It's crowded AF in the surf. He's sitting there smoking, drinking beer, watching the surf, and announces he's going fishing. He grabs his rod from the truck and walks out into waist deep surf and casts out between dozens of people. Within a minute he had a 4-foot sand shark. At 12, I was pretty impressed that his first redneck instinct wasn't to warn people of a shark but to go catch it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I’ve been wade fishing the coast for over 35 years. More than a few times I’ve had a nice fish on the line and had it bit in half. It’s only really scared me 3-4 times when I’ve had a shark hit my stringer or mesh basket with fish on them just 5-6 feet away and attached to me!

• Hook 'Em 2

My wife and I went wade fishing at Port O'Connor several years ago.  We got up early to get some shrimp, which I put in a flow-through bait bucket tied to my waist.  We hit the water right at first light and started shuffling out.  We were just knee deep when my wife stopped short and asked me a question.  I stopped, too, and that bait bucket coasted up and bumped me on the back of my right leg, just below the knee.  I thought that a shark had bumped me.  I'm a manly, tough Marine, so of course I handled it with aplomb: I screamed like a little bitch and started running for the shore.  My wife gave me hell for scaring the shit out of her.  I am so glad that there was no one else around to see it, and that there were no stingrays in my path.

After I got my shit together we went back out.  We caught a couple of keeper specks each, I caught a good sized flounder, and my wife caught an angelfish and a pair of needle nose pliers.  It was a pretty good wade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Google says there are zero confirmed kills by Hammerheads anywhere.  Ever.  It's interesting that a semi intelligent meat eating predator has never killed a dude.  There have been Hammer attacks, but no kills.

tiger

tiger 2

Looks like both ladies were out there just taking a leak. Standing still in waist-deep water. I’ve seen that move before. 

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Google says there are zero confirmed kills by Hammerheads anywhere.  Ever.  It's interesting that a semi intelligent meat eating predator has never killed a dude.  There have been Hammer attacks, but no kills.

tiger

tiger 2

No wild orca (last I checked) seems way more crazy to me. 

31 minutes ago, LTbear said:

No wild orca (last I checked) seems way more crazy to me. 

They eat what they like and know what those things are.  They have a twisted sense of humor but don't include us in their fun for some reason.  I think dolphins have been known to be too rough with people either by innocent play or bullying on occasion, but never an Orca.  They're just too intelligent to care.