Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

11 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Brisket just wanted to give you an update. I’m 4-0 this weekend. So is Johnny Sack. Life is good. God bless America

LSU lost. And UH won. So aren’t you 5-1?   

I’m sure I’m missing another team or two. 

Edited by fattyflattie

10 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

See this is why you a huge chunk of America rightfully hates the media. Kavanaugh had an exceptional professional reputation, resume and credentials and now the leftist media, the enemy of the people, make it seem like he has been this drunken buffoon all of this time. He was top of his class at Yale, impeccable reputation on the DC circuit, adjunct professor at Harvard, etc. Sorry that the attempted smear job by an emotionally disturbed woman didn’t work. That’s why along with the Horns, Astros and Texans winning made this an incredible weekend. I am glad I don’t live in a country where someone like Dr Ford could get away with derailing someone as exceptional as Kavanaugh. Thank God for America as we know it.  

You are a liar.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Icono, Happy to be corrected but, when I look at his career, I see somebody who jumped into a political career from the get go (graduation) and somebody who has little to no actual accomplishments in the field of law.

Hell, he has been through this before as he has always been recognized as a political hack more than an accomplished law scholar/lawyer. It took him 3 years to get confirmed for the DC circuit.

The ABA has never fully endorsed his qualifications for any position he has been nominated. They still don't.

Harvard dropped him.

As best I can tell, his only qualifications are that he toes the company line for Republicans. Seems as though this ability has put him in line to be a SC Justice since he worked with Starr.

He lied under oath.

He has a very questionable financial past.

Edited by pacman

20 minutes ago, yoladu said:

You are a liar.

Correct.  He had a minor Law Journal role and graduated without distinction. Relative to the bright academic stars of his class, he was a step above JAG. 

Just to contrast to Elaine Kagan, who graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard and was a supervising editor of the Law Review.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yes, the Republicans are willing to sacrifice everything for Kav-Dog, but don't give a shit about school shootings or children stolen from their parents. 

Oh, fuck off with this Republicans don't care about children stolen from their parents bullshit.  I never heard one fucking word from a Democrat when this was happening under Obama's administration.  You know why?  Because I never heard one fucking word from the douchebag media about this when they were doing stories about the border under Obama's administration.  It was going on back then, hell the photograph that touched all of this topic off was taken in that time.  No one made this a topic until the media did and the media waited until a Republican administration came around before they wanted to cover it.  Same with the school shooting stuff.  You make it sound like Republicans are standing outside of schools with popcorn chanting "we want more school shootings."  Fuck you.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Oh, fuck off with this Republicans don't care about children stolen from their parents bullshit.  I never heard one fucking word from a Democrat when this was happening under Obama's administration.  You know why?  Because I never heard one fucking word from the douchebag media about this when they were doing stories about the border under Obama's administration.  It was going on back then, hell the photograph that touched all of this topic off was taken in that time.  No one made this a topic until the media did and the media waited until a Republican administration came around before they wanted to cover it.  Same with the school shooting stuff.  You make it sound like Republicans are standing outside of schools with popcorn chanting "we want more school shootings."  Fuck you.

They may as well be.  They're in power.  The means to change it is in their hands.  Yet they choose not to do so.  

6 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Must have hit a nerve.  Good to know some part of your brain admits Republican "leadership" is a joke. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Roy Moore redux.  Something about rape that gets conservatives excited.

She was never raped. We have heard virtually nothing about her background. Not a surprise coming from the leftist media. I hope conservative media digs into her past and uncovers the truth that she is either emotionally unstable (what I think), a political operative or a liar. Even if I believed everything she said, at worst it would have been him drunkenly falling on top of her for a few seconds. I don’t want women to think they can get away with destroying a man’s career with this type of bullshit. Fuck Christine Blasey Ford. I hope she crawls back under the rock she came from and is never heard from again. We won and I couldn’t be happier about it. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wife-of-clarence-thomas-dismisses-justices-retirement-talk-as-bogus

Should Thomas leave, that slight majority would continue if Donald Trump becomes president. If it's Hillary Clinton, then she would get the chance to flip two Republican seats, giving the liberals a 6-3 majority.

And, conservatives fear, that could switch to a 7-2 majority if Republican Justice Anthony Kennedy, already a swing vote, retires. He will be 80 next year.

We recently reported that if Clinton wins the presidency, her majority liberal court could stay in power at least until 2050.

Ooooops!!!

• Fuck You 3

9 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

She was never raped. We have heard virtually nothing about her background. Not a surprise coming from the leftist media. I hope conservative media digs into her past and uncovers the truth that she is either emotionally unstable (what I think), a political operative or a liar. Even if I believed everything she said, at worst it would have been him drunkenly falling on top of her for a few seconds. I don’t want women to think they can get away with destroying a man’s career with this type of bullshit. Fuck Christine Blasey Ford. I hope she crawls back under the rock she came from and is never heard from again. We won and I couldn’t be happier about it. 

Quit being a hypocrite and go back to Iran. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

So you disagree with all of Kavanaugh’s GOP backers who believe that she was attacked at some point, but that she is mistaken, incorrect or lying about the identity of her attacker?  I mean, you have heard that defense being screamed out for two weeks now, right?  I can go find some mention in a WSJ article (that I’m not dumb enough to pay for) possibly if you need assistance.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

You're wrong. It was not a policy to separate children from parents at the border. No matter how many times you say it.

• Like 1

My last word on Kavanaugh -

I spent a considerable amount of time as a conservative and pure conservative ideology doesn’t scare me. Whether it’s budget politics, equal protection and privacy cases, or the role and purpose of government.

Public opinion on social issues will guide the court toward what is right, and if it doesn’t laws can and ultimately will be passed.

My biggest issue here isn’t the likely closed door on equal protection for folks like me, it’s actually much more personal. Gorsuch is a fine justice, I think he will rule in a way that I will often disagree with but I don’t feel disgusted by his presence on the Court. Kavanaugh was a political hack for years, he’s proven a liar, he’s proven to have a temperament that’s suspect. And he may have done some really nasty shit when he was younger. What’s come out of this is the continuation of a society that discredits the woman in any sort of situation like this. I know Dr Ford is beside herself and probably wishes she had just let it go, but then she couldn’t live with herself, but she can’t live with this now. And it goes on and on and what the Republican narrative was made me ill - that this was all dreamt up smear tactics. Well Kavanaugh gave us all what we needed to know to make the proper decision and pick a different conservative that will rule in ways I would disagree with but they didn’t. Why this guy? I have no idea but he’s a blight on the Court from a moral vantage point and that is what bothers me the most.

• Like 6

Just now, realgreggym said:

Ford will be the next Sheehan.

I think she steps out of the spotlight now.

On a related matter.. I remember hearing a lot of people calling for an investigation in order to "form their opinion" on Kavanaugh.  Why is no one calling for the findings of the report to be made public?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, retread said:

Why was GW Bush campaigning so hard for Kav with Collins? That was curious. 

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/05/brett-kavanaugh-susan-collins-bush/

Kavanaugh, too, has longstanding ties to the Bush family. He served as an attorney for George W. Bush’s campaign, playing a major role in the legal battle between Bush and Al Gore. He then served as staff secretary in the Bush White House, a position of intimate influence — the staff secretary attends most Oval Office meetings and is a trusted sounding board for the president. 

Bush nominated Kavanaugh to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2003 ...

1 minute ago, Amobie said:

I think she steps out of the spotlight now.

On a related matter.. I remember hearing a lot of people calling for an investigation in order to "form their opinion" on Kavanaugh.  Why is no one calling for the findings of the report to be made public?

Because McConnell is still in charge of the Senate and as long as he is, the report isn't coming out.

^ Maybe it's just the good ole boys from Yale looking out for each other. It just seems like a reach for GWB to be campaigning that hard for a flawed candidate.

If there were any doubt, it makes it pretty clear that draining the swamp is a pipe dream. The power brokers in DC will protect their power and connections.

11 minutes ago, retread said:

Why was GW Bush campaigning so hard for Kav with Collins? That was curious. 

Because Kavannaugh was on his team ??  Have a family friend who served on the  WH counsel team under W, his opinion of W is he's loyal to friends, and will help whenever possible.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You're wrong. It was not a policy to separate children from parents at the border. No matter how many times you say it.

So cages were okay for children who weren’t with parents?

I am against separating kids period.  But the cages rhetoric is crap.  Either the facilities we use and have used long before Trump are good or bad for housing illegal minors.

if they’re abhorrent cages they shouldn’t be used for housing illegal minors who come here unaccompanied by parents.  If they’re not abhorrent cages, then stfu about them and just make the proper argument that kids shouldn’t be separated from parents.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

So cages were okay for children who weren’t with parents?

I am against separating kids period.  But the cages rhetoric is crap.  Either the facilities we use and have used long before Trump are good or bad for housing illegal minors.

if they’re abhorrent cages they shouldn’t be used for housing illegal minors who come here unaccompanied by parents.  If they’re not abhorrent cages, then stfu about them and just make the proper argument that kids shouldn’t be separated from parents.  

The left does make this argument. They shouldn't be in pre-trial custodial facilities at all.

So this is appropos of nothing, but Kavanaugh, as David Brock has pointed out, was groomed by the party elders from early on.  He's very much an establishment guy.  I never knew him personally, but when I was a young pup in the late 90s, I was a drinking buddy of the young guns in GOP circles.  They all went down to Florida during the recount and most of them ended up in the Bush administration.  They are all really loyal to each other.

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

So this is appropos of nothing, but Kavanaugh, as David Brock has pointed out, was groomed by the party elders from early on.  He's very much an establishment guy.  I never knew him personally, but when I was a young pup in the late 90s, I was a drinking buddy of the young guns in GOP circles.  They all went down to Florida during the recount and most of them ended up in the Bush administration.  They are all really loyal to each other.

I'll be in the district tomorrow night, has all and all out shooting war erupted between Republicans and Dems yet?

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Roy Moore redux.  Something about rape that gets conservatives excited.

I'm generally pretty moderate in my political views, but ^ this is the kind of stuff that isn't helping Democrats at all. It wasn't the "attacks on Ford" that got Republican's enthusiasm up, it was the perception that the Dems were intentionally attacking a Federal judge for political points. The allegations made by Ford were not confirmed in this process, the story didn't have supporting witnesses, and it was wrong to make it into a public smear campaign, even if that wasn't the intent. It's clear to me that the Democrats mishandled this entire process by making it a public circus, rather than going for the FBI investigation as soon as the sexual assault allegations were thought to be credible. Sitting on it for a few weeks, and waiting until they were close to a vote was politically motivated in order to stall the process, and hope that the Supreme Court seat was essentially on the ballot in November. I don't think even liberals would disagree with that assessment of the events, but feel free to explain it otherwise if you want to try. 

What did Democrats have to lose by first investigating this behind closed doors, and then making it public if the FBI investigators didn't do their due diligence?  It seems they went for the appeal to the public's emotions attempting to ride the #metoo wave, and instead of blocking Kavanaugh, they emboldened the right by creating another clear R vs D fight. Now that enthusiasm will carryover the next 4 weeks into the November election, and it will absolutely be used as a battle cry by every R in every race over the next few weeks. The Democrats made a huge mistake in the way they went about this confirmation process and it will cost them several seats this November. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Oh, fuck off with this Republicans don't care about children stolen from their parents bullshit.  I never heard one fucking word from a Democrat when this was happening under Obama's administration. 

I find it immensely fascinating how the right refuses to traffic in truth.  You and yours have propped yourselves up as the moral, ethical spine of America and yet in general you're nothing but a giant country club of liars.

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm generally pretty moderate in my political views, but ^ this is the kind of stuff that isn't helping Democrats at all. It wasn't the "attacks on Ford" that got Republican's enthusiasm up, it was the perception that the Dems were intentionally attacking a Federal judge for political points. The allegations made by Ford were not confirmed in this process, the story didn't have supporting witnesses, and it was wrong to make it into a public smear campaign, even if that wasn't the intent. It's clear to me that the Democrats mishandled this entire process by making it a public circus, rather than going for the FBI investigation as soon as the sexual assault allegations were thought to be credible.

How do you reconcile this with the Republicans refusal to even consider Merrick Garland WITHOUT any negative story line?

You cannot be serious.  You can't say "oh sure, there was some he said she said but it all came back to bite the accusers" in the bright light of a complete and total political power play.  That shit just doesn't fly.