Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I heard some mutter a few cursory “also to Dr. Ford” comments, so this isn’t completely accurate 

(Mojo later clarified Tur’s point being such apologies weren’t offered during the actual questions to Dr. Ford. Did any senator actually converse with her, or was it the hired gun from Arizona? By the way, Kavanaugh doesn’t belong anywhere near the SC.)

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

prediction markets move strongly to kavanaugh at this point. fuck it, i ride that plane into the mountain. dumb move to bet against GOP depravity, but collins or murk give me a out. hugos bff flake is gonna flake for sure though. 

Sunrise side I trust

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

prediction markets move strongly to kavanaugh at this point. fuck it, i ride that plane into the mountain. dumb move to bet against GOP depravity, but collins or murk give me a out. hugos bff flake is gonna flake for sure though. 

Agree. I don't see this stopping his appointment.

25 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s hard to keep in mind that none of us were there and none of us know what happened. I don’t know what happened that day and never will.

I’ve seen enough from Ford and Kavanaugh to believe that he shouldn’t be confirmed.

I believe she thinks she’s telling the truth, so either he did it or she’s mistaken. It doesn’t help that no one can corroborate her story.

He seems forthright: maybe he doesn’t remember it or he blacked out. But he has not shown a willingness to own his past regarding all the bullshit about the yearbook stuff. He’s lying. So he could be lying about the assault too.

I think the Rs are right about the Ds gaming all this for their benefit. They don’t give a single fuck about what’s best for Ford.

But it’s also ridiculous for the Rs to bitch about the Ds tactics. That’s where we are now. The opposition will absolutely be dragged through glass at every opportunity. That’s not new. You got played. Tough shit.

If I had a vote it would be a no. But the whole thing stinks.

Very very well stated...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Told ya'll.  He's getting confirmed, on the express train to SCOTUS town.

Because (repeat it with me, you know this verse), "NOTHING MATTERS."

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Wait.... you thought, for even a split second, that the GOP would opt AGAINST total depravity?  WTF?  It's the only true universal constant anymore.  Shit, I have my doubts about whether the temp of absolute zero really is absolute zero, but I KNOW, without fail, the GOP will always pick the most cruel, depraved path available.

1 minute ago, thepop said:

lol wut

Kavanaugh played directly to the furious grievances of the GOP voter base. His opening salvo of weeping fury is hugely motivating for them.

He screamed, "I AM HERE TO OWN THE LIBS!" and they are going to listen and love it. God help any GOP Senator who does not vote to confirm.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Really need mandatory retirement age in Congress.....

Was watching some post game interviews and just their body movements got me.  There was some shuffling, some leaned over walking, mumbling statements to the press.  They looked like 80 year olds after a long day.  Then there was the hearing itself.  They couldn't go for more than 45 minutes or an hour without a break and even then, Feinstein had trouble coming back on time.

I'm not for term limits but I'd strongly support a mandatory retirement age of 72 or something like that.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Told ya'll.  He's getting confirmed, on the express train to SCOTUS town.

Because (repeat it with me, you know this verse), "NOTHING MATTERS."

Wait.... you thought, for even a split second, that the GOP would opt AGAINST total depravity?  WTF?  It's the only true universal constant anymore.  Shit, I have my doubts about whether the temp of absolute zero really is absolute zero, but I KNOW, without fail, the GOP will always pick the most cruel, depraved path available.

Your proof of that is a dotus tweet?

Be better. 

This was never about stopping his appointment.  Why?  Because there is nothing a single Democrat can do to stop it.  If the R's put it to a vote and vote party line, he is nominated.

They are going to put it to a vote despite Ford's credible testimony.  They are going to put it to a vote despite the fact that there are hundreds of qualified conservative justices who could fill the spot better. They are going to put it to a vote despite Kavanaugh's perjury issues (both today and previously).

Why?  Because they will get a clear political hack to serve on the Supreme Court once sworn-in.  It's all that matters

• Like 2

So is the committee still voting tomorrow? Full floor vote for when...sunday? 

Even though Im not the biggest fan of his.......I think having a scorned and vindictive righty on the court for the next 25 years will be fucking awesome. 

The dems should wrap RBG in some kind of nerf material for the next 2 years. 

I still think Dr. Ford should file charges in MD though...even though it would make this more of a circus. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Your proof of that is a dotus tweet?

Be better. 

DOTUS isn't withdrawing his nomination.

A handful of GOP senators will be "deeply concerned," but will fall in line.  Because that's the law of the universe now -- party over country.  It cannot be broken.  You seem to think that there will be some act of courage and integrity from more than one GOP senator.  You have zero evidentiary basis for that belief.  The evidence is overwhelmingly to the contrary.

Justice Kavanaugh, coming your way.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

"Riveting" sums up the entire process today. They view this as entertainment. This was nothing more than an audition for Kavanaugh. 

It was never meant to be more than a formality. Ford definitely made it more interesting, but we saw the pushback from Cruz and Graham. The GOP frankly never cared. 

1 minute ago, dOUblewide said:

So is the committee still voting tomorrow? Full floor vote for when...sunday? 

Even though Im not the biggest fan of his.......I think having a scorned and vindictive righty on the court for the next 25 years will be fucking awesome. 

The dems should wrap RBG in some kind of nerf material for the next 2 years. 

I still think Dr. Ford should file charges in MD though...even though it would make this more of a circus. 

Committee members are meeting later tonight, and they are still scheduled to vote tomorrow morning. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

DOTUS isn't withdrawing his nomination.

A handful of GOP senators will be "deeply concerned," but will fall in line.  Because that's the law of the universe now -- party over country.  It cannot be broken.  You seem to think that there will be some act of courage and integrity from more than one GOP senator.  You have zero evidentiary basis for that belief.  The evidence is overwhelmingly to the contrary.

Justice Kavanaugh, coming your way.

Hey I’m fine with it and maybe you’re right. Just not quite convinced on that yet.

Sometimes you lose a battle to win the war. Hillary losing was actually a good example of that, despite the suffering we are all ongoing because of it. Her winning could have been far more catastrophic for this country than trump even winning, as hard as that is to believe. 

Just now, JimmyJames said:

It’s basically up to Collins, Murkowsky, and maybe Flake or Corker. Unless you have a great source into what they are thinking everybody predicting is just full of shit at this point. 

There’s Ernst and Capito too. 

Capito went to the same high school school as Dr. Ford.