Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I just can't get past him saying he wanted players with the most experience in the game late when it was close. I want him putting the best players out there whenever possible, not the most experienced.  Experience helps one get better.  But it is clear Ingram + 1/2 a game is better than Porter +  25 1/2 games.

Some players start at a much higher floor.

I can understand a reasonable argument for not playing a true freshman on the last series.  Sure, anyone can fumble -- Porter, Watson (again), or any other running back.  But Ingram has only been a college player and running plays in this offense for about a month (someone can correct me if he was an early enrollee).  If he lines up incorrectly, makes the wrong pass protection, or otherwise fucks up the play call, the mistake is that much more significant, and possibly game-changing.  For that reason, I'm not going to pile on Herman for sitting Ingram on the last series.  I'm not saying that I completely agree with that part of the personnel decision, but I see the merits. 

But that's not an argument for playing Kyle Porter, our slowest, least-elusive, least-explosive RB in recent memory.  If you think a true freshman might not have a mastery of the plays that makes you comfortable, you still put in Daniel Young or Toneil Carter, two RBs who have showed a hell of a lot more than Kyle Porter.  To me, that was the more frustrating aspect of that final dive. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

So if you want this guy fired, and you think he is a dickhead ect...

Are you rooting for Texas over USC or is it like hedging your bets where if Texas loses you will be happy because it's another reason to fire Herman immediately?

I will never, ever root against Texas. Well, unless the program becomes like Baylor or Penn State. 

I don't like Herman, but it is in everyone's best interests that he succeed. I want him to win every fucking game. I want him to win a national fucking championship here at Texas, and the quicker the better.

I'm just not stupid enough to think he will ever do such a thing, and waiting only hurts us if he's the wrong guy.

I would love more than anything to be wrong. I've been wrong before. Many, many times. And not even a little bit wrong. I wanted Charlie Strong to be our coach. I thought Garrett Gilbert would be our next great quarterback. I defended John Mackovic AFTER he lost to Rice. Point is, I don't take my opinion seriously, and neither should anyone else.

But of course I want to win. We all do, ya dumb fuck. THAT'S WHY WE'RE PISSED OFF ya stupid pus-rabbit.

7 minutes ago, Mossyhorn said:

Even texas tceh hired a coach with an unbeaten season at a sec sec sec team under his belt; we hired our last two HC’s from piddly conferences

I don't really have a qualm with hiring outside of P5.  I would rather them have some sustained level of success though.  It would have been nice to see Herman or Strong do something outside of having 1 star QB.  They deserve credit for developing them, but make sure it wasn't a lightning in a bottle situation.

14 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't really have a qualm with hiring outside of P5.  I would rather them have some sustained level of success though.  It would have been nice to see Herman or Strong do something outside of having 1 star QB.  They deserve credit for developing them, but make sure it wasn't a lightning in a bottle situation.

The only coaches that have won without megastar QBs that I know of are Saban and Meyer and neither of them are coming. I just don't know what to do other than to find the HS coach of the next VY and hire him and sign that young man. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

You were the one making the statements; it's on you to provide the proof.   Don't go being be an ass about it. 

I provided five links, and without reading them you asked for more?

If Kliff Kingsbury doesn't work out at Texas Tech, Briles in Lubbock is the ideal fit.

All of you with your self-righteous indignation and burn-in-the-hot place judgment of Briles, please stop talking.

Chances are good you have talked to no one who was involved in that whole thing in Waco, but did manage to read a few headlines, and maybe a story or two, before firing off a saucy, irate-laced opinion. Then it was off to your kid's soccer game.

You don't know. Most of us don't.

Yes, I am fully aware of the hypocrisy of that criticism; I've done it, too.

Despite whatever information may come out about that situation, you've made up your mind.

The truth is Baylor was well within its rights to fire Briles; what it didn't need to do was to fire him and then carefully place the blame for a university-wide problem on him and his staff. There is a reason they gave him nearly $18 million to leave.

If the Baylor situation makes you so sick, and now the Urban Meyer/Ohio State fiasco makes you so upset, stop watching the game.

I have tickets to USC.  I'll probably go, as I actually paid for them.  They also threw in their tickets to Tulsa this Saturday.....I'm having a real hard time convincing myself to waste my evening watching a crappy team play an even crappier team, in a game that means nothing and will reveal nothing new.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I have tickets to USC.  I'll probably go, as I actually paid for them.  They also threw in their tickets to Tulsa this Saturday.....I'm having a real hard time convincing myself to waste my evening watching a crappy team play an even crappier team, in a game that means nothing and will reveal nothing new.

Well,  you know, you could be watching aggy getting their asses pummeled by clemson....just saying....and that's not a bad thing.

23 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The only coaches that have won without megastar QBs that I know of are Saban and Meyer and neither of them are coming. I just don't know what to do other than to find the HS coach of the next VY and hire him and sign that young man. 

I don't mean win a NC without a star QB.  I mean sustain a successful program beyond 1 star QB.  It would have been nice to have seen both Herman and Strong sans Ward and Bridgewater.  Rather than looking like they caught lightning in a bottle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't mean win a NC without a star QB.  I mean sustain a successful program beyond 1 star QB.  It would have been nice to have seen both Herman and Strong sans Ward and Bridgewater.  Rather than looking like they caught lightning in a bottle. 

Ags are about to suffer that after Fisher-Famous Jameis

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'd like to see the players who care get as much fan support as possible.  There will be recruits there as well.  I'd give your Tulsa tickets to somebody who will appreciate them if I were as apathetic as you are about going.

4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

I don't know that much about Engel so I'd like to see his columns defending those two snakes.  Post them, am interested in reading. 

He went in deep on Baylor for the longest time but the last couple of weeks seems to have adjusted his feelings a bit on the Briles front. I think his point on Urban was that nobody should be surprised at the level of depravity displayed by tOSU to justify keeping Urban on staff. He might have said the Buckeyes were right to not fire him because he'd get another job in hot minute if they fired him so that somehow justified keeping him.

The majority of what Mac writes lacks any real substance -- he's just trying to drive reader reaction (good or bad -- he doesn't care).

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic