Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

11 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
17 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Basically Herman. But at least they won more games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least with Harbaugh the team would get to travel around the world while winning 8 games every year.

Lots of steaks and milk instead of fucked up eggs too. 

19 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Maybe he’s available next year. At this point I’m fine with winning 8 games.

Which eight games do you think we're going to win? Not a flame, I just can't get to that many no matter how many times I look at the schedule. I so want to be wrong. Maryland was a win before the season and that's already blown to shit.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Houston, with inferior talent, under Herman did not look inept.

What

The

Fuck

is

Wrong

Here

There’s no pressure to win at Houston and he has a bunch of kids that have chips on their shoulders and want to prove they are good. 

Herman said the kids played tight but I think he coached tight and was trying to coach perfect and wasn’t relaxed and blamed it on the kids.

our guys didn’t look tight they looked unprepared. And lazy.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:
1 hour ago, hookem48 said:
or maybe your receiver should pull his head out of his ass, oh and block, and be physical coming off the LOS instead of running around DBs like he's 5'6"

Then don't play him. People act like Herman's wife is being held captive somewhere. He doesn't have to play players who consistently dumbshit or disappear. He doesn't have to let Beck and the gang keep calling bullshit. He chooses to allow that to happen. He needs to be held accountable.

then who's going to jump for those overthrown passes? lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We'll be 1-5, 2-4 at best after OU game.  

If this happens, the wheels have come completely free from the axles.  If the wheels come off, the "he gets 3 years no matter what" crowd will be proved wrong.  

I don't think this will actually happen, there's too much talent.  But if it does, watch out.  We could easily be looking at 3-9 because that means they quit, and a new coach in December.   

Edited by Treefidy

If this happens, the wheels have come completely free from the axles.  If the wheels come off, the "he gets 3 years no matter what" crowd will be proved wrong.  
I don't think this will actually happen, there's too much talent.  But if it does, watch out.  We could easily be looking at 3-9 because that means they quit, and a new coach in December.   

Can you rule that outcome out? Yeah, it’s actually a realistic possibility.

The plane has crashed into the goddamn mountain!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

The quit part is what worries me most. Once that shit gets started in a locker room it is damn near impossible for a staff to correct it. 

Every writeup on this clusterfuck of a game yields more comedic shit from Herman.  Is this serious?  A guy who can't have his players take care of basic uniform shit that results in a penalty and can't install discipline enough to keep his team from committing fatal ones.  Holy crap.

Texas finished with 10 penalties for 102 yards.

Herman pointed out that he’d rather have players making aggressive penalties (like a roughing or pass interference) rather than administrative ones (like jumping offside). Collin Johnson was flagged five yards on UT’s opening drive for not having his knees covered, which is a new NCAA protective rule this season.

“I would rather have to pull the leash a little bit than have to kick them in the butt,” Herman said.

Edited by Wally Pryor

Telling isn't teaching and demanding isn't demonstrating.

I'm sure mensa spends a lot of time telling and demanding and just assumes results will be there because he did so.......thus claiming improvement in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

That's not being a coach.  Mensa isn't a coach.  He's a narcissistic lecturer.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1

I guess you guys just see us running racking up upsets versus USC, TCU, @KSU, v. OKL, @OSU, and WVU.  I don't see that.  Maybe we sneak out one upset in that mix.  But we might also shit the bed with ISU or Tech.  It's 5-7, maybe 6-6 with an upset in that first group.  

We're gonna still go 9-3 as preseason threads predicted because we have lots of highly rated Texas high school football players?  Okay.  Worked out brilliant for us for the last 40 years, save for a few little stretches here and there.  

10 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Football coaches are professionals. It is legitimate for us to hold them accountable for their performance.

Tom failed to have the team ready to play yesterday. Many people questioned his hiring of Tim Beck when it was first announced. I’m not seeing any development as a professional from Tim Beck. I’m not seeing much from Tom Herman when it comes to making adjustments to deal with glaring problems within the program. And it is absurd to claim Hermsn is being hindered by lack of resources, be those resources talent, time or money.

We were told Herman needed Beck in order to win. We were told to hold our noses over the hiring of Horny because Herman needed him to win. We were told to hold our noses over the recruitment of Leitao because Herman needed him to win. 

If a professor showed up unprepared for class or without any plan for the semester, we would rightfully complain that the students weren’t being well served. Outside of academia, we wouldn’t tolerate an attorney, doctor, pilot, or any other professional showing up unprepared and without a plan of how to accomplish their assigned task. We sure wouldn’t tolerate them being an asshole when asked to account for their repeated failures.

Herman has been getting a pass for a lot of failures and questionable decisions. Things need to turn around very soon. He is pretty much out of free passes. 

Not to mention that a big supposed positive of the Beck hire was his supposed recruiting ties to the Metroplex, a region of the state where we're currently getting our ass handed to us in recruiting. 

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I guess you guys just see us running racking up upsets versus USC, TCU, @KSU, v. OKL, @OSU, and WVU.  I don't see that.  Maybe we sneak out one upset in that mix.  But we might also shit the bed with ISU or Tech.  It's 5-7, maybe 6-6 with an upset in that first group.  

We're gonna still go 9-3 as preseason threads predicted because we have lots of highly rated Texas high school football players?  Okay.  Worked out brilliant for us for the last 40 years, save for a few little stretches here and there.  

USC is the most winnable in that group, more so than probably ISU. They had all they could handle from UNLV and would have also lost to Maryland yesterday.  

They too are wandering the desert, they look a lot like us except the O is better than the D.  How to right the ship for these blue Bloods?  Seems obvious to me, we should hire Pete Carroll and they should pick up Mack brown.  Let the riots ensue. 

11 hours ago, 54_Strat said:

Mike Finger roasted Herman in his article today 

This was not a repeat, nor was it a sign of things to come. And we know this because Herman said so.

The naïve among us might have thought we saw a team as unprepared to start Herman’s second season as it was to start his first. But this is because we are uninformed.

We just assumed that a flurry of bone-headed penalties and a rash of late-game turnovers were signs of a squad that remains as sloppy and as undisciplined as ever, but the truth is we are unable to comprehend exactly how much the Longhorns have improved.

Thankfully, Herman was gracious enough to break it down for reporters covering the game in Landover, Maryland, and thereby set the country straight.

This is awesome.  Herman is such a condescending ass.  I’m cool with that if you’re winning.  But when you get your ass handed to you by fucking Maryland 2 years in a row...you best put your fucking hat in hand and yes sir no sir some fuckers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Basically Herman. But at least they won more games

Michigan is 9-9 in their last 18 and hasn’t beat a ranked team since iirc 2006.

Fun stat: When they kick off next week, Michigan will have gone a full calendar year without a WR catching a TD pass.

Maybe we can play them in the wilderness and create a black hole. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I held on with Charlie until Kansas.  I think at least 30% of us did.  This time around, i think he's lost 90% of this board.  I wish I knew what that translated to in the rank-and-file outside world.

We've seen it once.  We recognize it now.  No more cognitive dissonance.  Crystal clarity.

"You have arrived at your destination".

No journey required.

Bingo. Guilty as charged on Charlie (do I even need to remind anyone?). Hell, I even defended Mackovic and Greg Davis. I learned from each one a different lesson in What Not To Do. Which leads to me getting all the more pissed when I see the same mistake happening twice.

^

Yeah, fun fact---in their last 21 game (dating back to 2016 season)...Maryland is 6-15 against Div. I-A teams.  A third of those wins have come against Texas.  33#%.  Think about that next time you and your bros are out high-fiveing one another over how awesome Herman is...

Yea I don't see a bowl game this year.

Bingo. Guilty as charged on Charlie (do I even need to remind anyone?). Hell, I even defended Mackovic and Greg Davis. I learned from each one a different lesson in What Not To Do. Which leads to me getting all the more pissed when I see the same mistake happening twice.
The same mistake twice? Or 100 times. This is what infuriates me.

30 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

This is awesome.  Herman is such a condescending ass.  I’m cool with that if you’re winning.  But when you get your ass handed to you by fucking Maryland 2 years in a row...you best put your fucking hat in hand and yes sir no sir some fuckers.

I like the defensive, "fuck you I'm mensa!", response to the question about LJH and CJ. It was a shitty question but there were an infinite number of better ways to reply. Tom "I'm smarter than you" Herman, instead, went after the guy's intelligence. "Well what play specifically? What coverage was the defense in?"

It's clear to Tom that he's the smartest person in the room and us simpletons should feel honored by his presence. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I like the defensive, "fuck you I'm mensa!", response to the question about LJH and CJ. It was a shitty question but there were an infinite number of better ways to reply. Tom "I'm smarter than you" Herman, instead, went after the guy's intelligence. "Well what play specifically? What coverage was the defense in?"

It's clear to Tom that he's the smartest person in the room and us simpletons should feel honored by his presence. 

The corn dogs wanted Mensa and ended up with Orgeron. Between Orgeron and Herman, who seems to be the better head coach right now? 

The Mensa shit is really getting old. Especially when it doesn’t mean shit when it comes to managing a college football program 

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Would have given just about anything for one of the reporters to say “yeah you just got out-coached by a team without a coach so maybe check the attitude at the door there chief”

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

what was Herman going to say? "Are you calling my receivers pussies?" I mean Herman knows CJ plays like a pussy, it's why he benched him last year but he's still going to try to protect him in a press conference.

Edited by hookem48
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Would have given just about anything for one of the reporters to say “yeah you just got out-coached by a team without a coach so maybe check the attitude at the door there chief”

Or even a, "you tell me Tom. Then tell me why the play you, er, Beck had dialed up would attack it."

On 9/1/2018 at 7:59 PM, TexasBeta said:

I dread Tuesday at work. The farmers there will swing by my office all day with their smug sheep fucking grins and I’ll have to take it bc they will be right. POS Herman and the rest of the overpaid staff will make my life miserable all season if they don’t fix this. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not that important but it trickles down to so many things. Stupid I know.

Just catching up on this thread because I went to the Gator game yesterday, but had to comment on this.

I completely get it, because my happiness through football season is irrationally tied to the success of a football team that I have loved for over 30 years.  I was pissed and in a fog for most of the day trying to hang out with friends and family to enjoy the Gator game ( a team I adopted later in life and don't have the same emotional tie to).

Texas sucking in football makes me hate the entire football season.   I live in SEC country and hear all of the shit talk about Texas sucking for another season.  It isn't as bad as dealing with aggy, but it is close and maybe more painful because SEC fans actually expect us to be good.  

This season seemed to be over by the end of the first quarter, and my enthusiasm for the greatest time of the year has already taken a swift kick to the nuts.  

So, it isn't stupid and you aren't alone.  I don't have to deal with aggy, just fans of good football who seem embarrassed to discuss Texas football because it is like talking about a dead relative.  

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Which eight games do you think we're going to win? Not a flame, I just can't get to that many no matter how many times I look at the schedule. I so want to be wrong. Maryland was a win before the season and that's already blown to shit.

He was referring to the hypothetical scenario of winning 8 games with Harbaugh.

17 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

It won't happen because John Bianco would pull their credentials before the presser was over. This goes back to Mack's thin skinned days. 

The football coach at UT is very sheltered and surrounded by yes men. 

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

what was Herman going to say? "Are you calling my receivers pussies?" I mean Herman knows CJ plays like a pussy, it's why he benched him last year but he's still going to try to protect him in a press conference.

Like I said. He could've went with "I'm not sure what plays you're referencing" or "their defense did a good job today" or even a coach speak "we've got to do a better job of getting the ball in our play maker's hands." Instead, he went all smarter than thou...

19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Spoiler alert, this is a list of famous Mensa folks. But here is a fun fact prior, I fucking qualified for Mensa. I'm one helluva standardized test taker. Before you jump in to this list, I'm going to point out that I am 100% certain which entry will be Surly's favorite. Final spoiler: our HC isn't mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mensans

5451a1420b4b8f64d137712b7055de15.jpg

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 1

Speaking of the press conference Tom hurt my feelings too, not just the reporter’s.  It would have been nice of him to acknowledge the 25k Texas fans who showed up for a road game, outnumbering the home team fans.  It was hot as hell in the stadium when it wasn’t raining and most of us stayed past the delay.   To lay an egg like that when so much more was anticipated, and then to not even thank the fans, was kind of uncool.

• Like 5

the purple wizard will have us down 14 in the first quarter at Manhattan per usual.

our defense looked poor most of the game and will very likely be worse than last year.  good news is that should shut down the idiotic Todd Orlando  HC sweepstakes. bad news is our offense isn't better to make up for it.  the only sure wins are Kansas, Tulsa and probably Baylor.  6 wins is the ceiling for bozo the clown and that is if we stay relatively healthy on the OL.

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Regarding “players quitting”, the fastest, surefire way to lose a squad is playing some clearly undeserved fucksticks (Porter).  The motivation for them to prepare and practice goes to shit if they see their staff flat out shooting themselves in the dick.  I’m sure some will say “fuck those players”, but that’s reality.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

KSU struggles against South Dakota yesterday and Kansas lost to Nichols state so possibly 3 wins this year. Maybe 

USC had all they could handle for 3.5 Q against UNLV.  There's a lot of weaknesses on their D, unfortunately we don't have an OC who can identify and exploit their weaknesses.  

If we did, Ingram would have had more than 6 carries and we would have rode our trio of backs not named Porter up-tempo to a comfortable victory yesterday.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snacks said:

You are falling for the shitty attitude and words. Tom Herman is fucking lost right now. Our offense is fucked.

Charlie knew he had shit at OL and QB and he tried to avoid talking about it.

I'm really pissed that we didn't give the veer and shot a 2nd year to get rolling. We would have been much better last year and this year. It masks offensive player deficiencies that we have and makes the run game much easier.

But we lost to Kansas, so I get it.

I want us to run a real smashmouth spread if we're gonna run it. I don't know wtf we're running now.

Yeah I prefer an aggressive run scheme out of the spread instead of the hesitant, read and react stuff we seem to be trying to employ. Part of the reason you rarely see blue blood teams run the spread in this soft ass manner is because it goes against the instincts of the big mammoths blue bloods typically have on their Oline. The deceptive, draw and delay run scheme is a necessary evil for teams without the Oline talent to just maul their opponents. 

Speaking of the press conference Tom hurt my feelings too, not just the reporter’s.  It would have been nice of him to acknowledge the 25k Texas fans who showed up for a road game, outnumbering the home team fans.  It was hot as hell in the stadium when it wasn’t raining and most of us stayed past the delay.   To lay an egg like that when so much more was anticipated, and then to not even thank the fans, was kind of uncool.

Based on the presser he doesn’t care what you, a mere graduate of the University he represents, thinks. Damn glad I didn’t drink the kool aid and buy season tickets. This is gonna be a train wreck of a season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

USC had all they could handle for 3.5 Q against UNLV.  There's a lot of weaknesses on their D, unfortunately we don't have an OC who can identify and exploit their weaknesses.  

If we did, Ingram would have had more than 6 carries and we would have rode our trio of backs not named Porter up-tempo to a comfortable victory yesterday.  

Texas will come out of the gate sleepwalking. USC will shut down the Texas offense and jump to a 20 point lead. The defense will keep the game close for a while. Ehlinger will make a bad decision late and seal the loss. Book it,

Want me to also tell you how much of a prick Herman will be at the post-game presser? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Hey man, our head coach was involved in calling the offense. Let's be sure to include him when discussing inability to identify the opposing teams weakness. Remember, it is the Texas Offense.

-Yours Truly Mensa Tom

17 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Hey man, our head coach was involved in calling the offense. Let's be sure to include him when discussing inability to identify the opposing teams weakness. Remember, it is the Texas Offense.

-Yours Truly Mensa Tom

That comment from the press conference was almost foreshadowing..I thought it was a condescending cop out of an answer.  

11 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Herman has proved that national recruiting for The University of Texas is doable. Swinney's recruiting classes at Clemson have not been appreciably better by any reasonable definition. It just takes, you know.... coaching. That's what has been missing. 

Not all recruiting rankings are the same. Our high recruiting rankings over the past few years have mostly been due to highly ranked WRs, DBs, & LBs while Swinney's high level recruiting rankings have been based in the defensive trenches and WRs. Difference makers in the trenches don't need anything else to help them maximize their talent. Just add food and water. All of our highly ranked personnel like WRs and DBs require some other component on the team to help them be great. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Based on the presser he doesn’t care what you, a mere graduate of the University he represents, thinks. Damn glad I didn’t drink the kool aid and buy season tickets. This is gonna be a train wreck of a season.

I bought season tix

71G8MJ-mjFL._SY679_.jpg

BTW, I like your avatar.

• Like 2

I have always hated Herman and I am truly happy that he is being exposed and everyone has started to hate him as well. I am also very sad that our program has to suck in order for this to happen. I would much rather hate our coach and win. The only thing to do now is to drink till we can't feel feelings anymore.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic