Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

10 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I'm sure it's been discussed ad naseum in this thread already, but going for 2 there right before the half really makes me question this guy's football IQ. Idiotic decision. 

That's about the only thing thermensa did yesterday that I did agree with.  You just picked up a safety off a miscue.  I look at that as found money, and had no problem doubling down on it with the 2-point attempt.  At that point, it was ""obvious"" we were going to stay with tempo and feature ingram in the 3rd.

Texas will come out of the gate sleepwalking. USC will shut down the Texas offense and jump to a 20 point lead. The defense will keep the game close for a while. Ehlinger will make a bad decision late and seal the loss. Book it,
Want me to also tell you how much of a prick Herman will be at the post-game presser? 
If ehlinger isn't used for any other thing than wildcat these coaches are morons. He isn't a good qb.

Tom returnig Texas to the national map!  Well, okay, not in such a good way...

USA TODAY

Misery Index: Trouble in Texas as Tom Herman begins second season with another flop

Dan Wolken, USA TODAYPublished 4:12 p.m. ET Sept. 2, 2018 | Updated 4:16 p.m. ET Sept. 2, 2018

Recapping the top moments from college football's Week 1 action, which include Maryland's upset of Texas and how Ohio State fared without coach Urban Meyer. USA TODAY

2018-09-02 Tom Herman

(Photo: Tommy Gilligan, USA TODAY Sports)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

For most of the great coaching tenures, Year 2 is when the magic happens.

Nick Saban jumped from eight wins to 10 at LSU in his second year, then from six to 12 at Alabama. Urban Meyer’s Year 2 records were 9-3 (Bowling Green), 12-0 (Utah) and 13-1 (Florida). Bob Stoops won the national title in his second season at Oklahoma, Steve Spurrier went 10-2 at Florida and Pete Carroll went 11-2 at Southern California.

No matter what the roster looked like when those coaches arrived, Year 2 was when the culture took hold, the misfits were weeded out and the ultimate destination came into focus. It’s happened over and over again for a reason: For all the talk about patience, the great coaches typically only need two years to start showing greatness.

That’s a big reason why Tom Herman is going to be under the microscope in a big way at Texas this season, and why the fans’ reaction to a season-opening 34-29 flop at Maryland was so intense.

It may not be time to panic quite yet, but that moment isn’t too far over the horizon.

When he was hired after the 2016 season, Herman was the hottest coaching prospect in America, having knocked off six ranked teams in two seasons at Houston, including Florida State and Oklahoma. After firing Charlie Strong just three years into his tenure, Texas dramatically pulled Herman away from LSU at the last minute, a move that united a dream candidate with his dream job.  

But it’s unclear whether Texas is in a better place right now than it was five years ago when Mack Brown was on his final march toward the television booth. Brown, after all, won eight, nine and eight games during his final three turbulent years and actually had a chance to win the Big 12 going into the regular season finale in 2013. Since then, Texas’ win totals are six, five, five and seven, and the pressure to return the Longhorns to something resembling national relevance is growing more desperate with each passing year.

Not only is Herman losing to Maryland for the second year in a row a horrible look and something that should never happen, but it really does call into question whether progress is being made or if Texas is stuck in the land of the mediocre for another season and missing out on the historically significant Year 2 bump.

For that reason, Texas leads the first Misery Index of 2018, a weekly measurement of knee-jerk reactions based on what each fan base just watched.

Best of college football Week 1

FIVE MOST MISERABLE

Texas: Maybe we’ve had it wrong the whole time. For all of its supposed advantages and program wealth, perhaps Texas is harder to pull out of mediocrity than anyone realized. The last time the Longhorns were really good, this year’s crop of high school seniors were in third grade. Since then, they’ve only finished a season ranked in the top 25 one time. It takes an incredible coach, a force of nature, to overcome the cumulative effect of that much dysfunction. That’s what Texas thought it was getting in Herman. But now, it’s fair to wonder if his reputation was elevated by a stacked, ready-to-win roster in his two-year stint at Houston and not the other way around.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/09/02/ncaa-football-misery-index-week-one-tom-herman-texas-trouble/1181807002/

I cut it off after Texas, which of course he rates #1 most miserable indexed team nationally, the others were Michigan, Coo State, UNC, and siom'body else I don't remember.

Anyway, you can still be backing the Mensatrator, but it's widely recognized that he fucked up, and badly.   This is not in his "working up to excellence" plan or any bullshit he tries to use to cover it. He sucked, and his coaches sucked, and the nation knows it and is laughing at it.  He fucked up and blew chunks, period.  He is at this point, a fucking flop.  I can change this year, sure.  But even if it does, right now, don't bullshit anyone with the "well it was all in the plan".  Nope.  Losing this shittily = he's a dolt right now.  Period.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

No you weren't alone. I spoke in depth about considering cancelling season tickets, the losses to SMU and Memphis the day of his hire.

Missing in Action and I both caught a lot shit. Hell, I predicted 5 wins last year and caught holy hell for it on the prediction thread on the "other" site. Go back and look.

My apologies.  You have to admit us Hermanhaters were few and far between.  Today...….not so much.  I will never EVER root for Texas to lose at anything at any time.  However, if they do lose, sometimes there is an upside.   That said.....Hook'em Horns.

• Like 1

Here’s why I’m raging still two days after the game. 

Texas down 24-22 at half, it felt like we had momentum and my Texas always wins part of my brain took over and we out scored Maryland 35-0 the second half in dominating fashion finally showing how good we can be.

After almost 10 years of watching he same shit I thought surely this is the year we finally close a team out by outplaying and out coaching them.

I and not sure if anyone else was thinking the same thing as me but it’s the main reason I am done with Herman, im tired of thinking this is it here we go turning it around and I don’t want to feel like aggy has since 1939. So fuck it. If he turns it around then great, if not which I don’t think he can then whatever. Guess we will be good again when we are.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

FFS he had not talent at TE. Mack left him shit. Being named TE coach at the squad he inherited was like being named chief rabbi of the Vatican. 

And I love this idea of "We're Texas, so we never make bold moves like elevating local HS legend to HC and two hot-shit young Texan coordinators who are in the process of mastering a great and innovative new offense that jibes with what Texas HS coaches are teaching because, hey, that's just not the done thing."

We are supposed to be a leader, not some school that walks the same path as everybody else. 

I sincerely believe it's because Traylor / Sterlin / Maddox were just too redneck for y'all.  

Hey man. Rep for sticking to your guns. Does Todd Dodge ring a bell?

edit. I'm behind. Saw you repped TD already.

Edited by EastTexan

2 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

Hey man. Rep for sticking to your guns. Does Todd Dodge ring a bell?

Yes, and I mentioned him in another post. He sucked as a QB on the college level and was even worse as a coach. But other coaches who started in HS include Briles and Meyer (I know, yeah, scumbags), Chip Kelly, Bill Snyder, David Cutcliffe, and Gus Malzahn. 

I’m going to get negged to Bolivia, but you guys do realize that if you can Herman this quick, no one will want this job with the expectations that will go with it, right?  Money whipping doesn’t always work, unless you go aggy and lock yourself in to a 10year deal, which I would advise against.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

I’m going to get negged to Bolivia, but you guys do realize that if you can Herman this quick, no one will want this job with the expectations that will go with it, right?  Money whipping doesn’t always work, unless you go aggy and lock yourself in to a 10year deal, which I would advise against.

I voted for the "give him a third year" option. Mostly I am crying over spilled milk here. 

No neg, just a slap. 70a811cdf4e337179fe7197ca2649024.gif
  • Like 2

In defending Beck, Herman made the point that the tosu championship offense was not the Tom Herman offense, given Urban had significant influence on it. 

He meant it as a defense of Beck here, but every game he fails to show his ability to implement a cohesive, exciting offense, I'm more and more inclined to believe it's accurate and he was just a guy charged with delivering Urban's orders who leveraged that into an undue reputation.

Can anyone think of a single reason to include him with the likes of offensive gurus like Riley, Malzahn, Leach, Holgerson, etc?  Does anyone think if those guys were having the types of offensive issues we're having they couldn't step in and fix it?

I think Herman needs Beck there to be his fall guy, because I honestly don't think he knows how to fix it.  He's just a guy. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You're right and I think just about everyone else agrees unless he just completely tanks or is linked to a scandal. It's  understood that he's getting a third year whether we like it or not.

Edited by HornsofBevo

One other thing bout the presser. What the fuck was Herman talking about when he said momentum is not a real thing that its an illusion. He gave definitions of words like we were in 3rd grade bring your nerd dad to school day. It was another example of him being a condescending asshole with that shit eating grin.
Or was I just dreaming in my drunken stupor and didnt happen

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

BS argument on several levels. 1. He’s not getting canned unless we are blown out the rest of the year or it turns out he, the high school coaches and Zach Smith were snorting coke off his wife’s gratuitous rack at said strip club. 

2. Jobs like Texas, Alabama, OSU, Meatchicken and so forth represent the tippity top of coaching positions in college football, and CFB coaches tend to be some arrogant, greedy MFers who think they can do anything. This, no one will go to that cesspool, BS gets debunked time and again. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Here’s why I’m raging still two days after the game. 

Texas down 24-22 at half, it felt like we had momentum and my Texas always wins part of my brain took over and we out scored Maryland 35-0 the second half in dominating fashion finally showing how good we can be.

After almost 10 years of watching he same shit I thought surely this is the year we finally close a team out by outplaying and out coaching them.

I and not sure if anyone else was thinking the same thing as me but it’s the main reason I am done with Herman, im tired of thinking this is it here we go turning it around and I don’t want to feel like aggy has since 1939. So fuck it. If he turns it around then great, if not which I don’t think he can then whatever. Guess we will be good again when we are.

At that point in the game all we had to do was KEEP DOING WHAT WE WERE DOING for one more series and Maryland would realize they were Maryland and fold.  I truly believed the final score would be 55-24 and whatever out-of-sync funk we were in would be over FOREVER.

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yes, and I mentioned him in another post. He sucked as a QB on the college level and was even worse as a coach. But other coaches who started in HS include Briles and Meyer (I know, yeah, scumbags), Chip Kelly, Bill Snyder, David Cutcliffe, and Gus Malzahn. 

And all of those guys had significant and successful college experience as a head coach or coordinator, so none of them support your argument that we should’ve hired Jeff Traylor after two years as a special teams/tight ends coach on a staff that compiled a 10-14 record.

• Haha 1

I think Herman needs Beck there to be his fall guy, because I honestly don't think he knows how to fix it.  He's just a guy. 

This will backfire especially since he’s an “offensive”coach. Strong was a defensive coach and our D looked like shit in his years 2&3. Some narcissistic shit there.

PS, I’m more pissed that cockface Stoops left OU’s program in great shape for Riley to walk in with continuity and keep on trucking. Mack tried to burn down the house. It’s water under the bridge but DeLoss is probably responsible for us being in this situation. Plus LHN. I haven’t been this pissed 2 days after a loss since the 08 Tech game. Trying to convince myself that this is a child’s game and not care so damn much. Rant over.

12 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Spoiler alert, this is a list of famous Mensa folks. But here is a fun fact prior, I fucking qualified for Mensa. I'm one helluva standardized test taker. Before you jump in to this list, I'm going to point out that I am 100% certain which entry will be Surly's favorite. Final spoiler: our HC isn't mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mensans

I didn't recognize but about five people on that list.  What have we gotten ourselves into?  Didn't the Ambassador to Luxembourg assist on our coaching search?  Or was that with Strong.

EDIT: Herman is on the list now.

Edited by Bullneck

5 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

One other thing bout the presser. What the fuck was Herman talking about when he said momentum is not a real thing that its an illusion. He gave definitions of words like we were in 3rd grade bring your nerd dad to school day. It was another example of him being a condescending asshole with that shit eating grin.
Or was I just dreaming in my drunken stupor and didnt happen

This statement worries me a lot. Might explain why Ingram never got back into the game or why we end up submarining our own drives with goofy reverses or trick plays. Herman believes every play is its own separate entity and that it doesn’t connect to what happened prior. I’ve never heard a coach literally come out and say momentum is bullshit. I’m preparing my self for another 3 years of suck tbh. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

And what’s even more maddening is orgeron fires Matt Canada after a subpar year(you know subpar as in not up to a blueblood standard which is still better than Texas season in a tougher conference) brings in another OC and they donkey punch a top 10 team.

orgeron might be a swamp ass but he clearly can see when a OC isn’t going to mesh with his team and makes changes.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

And what’s even more maddening is orgeron fires Matt Canada after a subpar year(you know subpar as in not up to a blueblood standard which is still better than Texas season in a tougher conference) brings in another OC and they donkey punch a top 10 team.

orgeron might be a swamp ass but he clearly can see when a OC isn’t going to mesh with his team and makes changes.

Let's review:

1. LSU with Orgeron is doing pretty well, thank you.  They fired their OC.

2. That same OC takes head coaching on a team with a toxic environment.  

3.  We lose to #2.

This is going to be like Mackovic's last year.  

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Let's review:

1. LSU with Orgeron is doing pretty well, thank you.  They fired their OC.

2. That same OC takes head coaching on a team with a toxic environment.  

3.  We lose to #2.

This is going to be like Mackovic's last year.  

Seriously, this needs to be told To Herman and tweeted at CDC. 

This will backfire especially since he’s an “offensive”coach. Strong was a defensive coach and our D looked like shit in his years 2&3. Some narcissistic shit there.

PS, I’m more pissed that cockface Stoops left OU’s program in great shape for Riley to walk in with continuity and keep on trucking. Mack tried to burn down the house. It’s water under the bridge but DeLoss is probably responsible for us being in this situation. Plus LHN. I haven’t been this pissed 2 days after a loss since the 08 Tech game. Trying to convince myself that this is a child’s game and not care so damn much. Rant over.

I don’t think Stoops had time to burn it down if he’d wanted to. I’m not 100% certain he was truly ready to step down before last season. You gotta hand it to the Sooners — they got their shit locked down tight.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And all of those guys had significant and successful college experience as a head coach or coordinator, so none of them support your argument that we should’ve hired Jeff Traylor after two years as a special teams/tight ends coach on a staff that compiled a 10-14 record.

Briles's resume heading into UH was about the same as Traylor's when Charlie got canned. 

I don’t think Stoops had time to burn it down if he’d wanted to. I’m not 100% certain he was truly ready to step down before last season. You gotta hand it to the Sooners — they got their shit locked down tight.

That’s the difference between their AD and ours. Our BMDs can’t even agree on a coach. We got bigger structural/cultural problems as other posters have said.

1 minute ago, Stunns38 said:

That’s the difference between their AD and ours. Our BMDs can’t even agree on a coach. We got bigger structural/cultural problems as other posters have said.

In the run up to Charlie's firing, I was always hearing about the "Houston donors." Supposedly they were the ones who had their hearts and dicks and whatever else set on Herman even as he was getting whooped by Navy, SMU and almost Tulsa at home. Who are these Houston donors. Sternly worded letters are in order. 

In the run up to Charlie's firing, I was always hearing about the "Houston donors." Supposedly they were the ones who had their hearts and dicks and whatever else set on Herman even as he was getting whooped by Navy, SMU and almost Tulsa at home. Who are these Houston donors. Sternly worded letters are in order. 

Hopefully CDC is worth his money because his hands will be full.

This was amazing. We marched down the field and scored in like one minute and seven plays. And that was the end of that (and Ingram). 

The Ingram thing bothers all the fuck out of me. This is not to say I 100% believe Ingram was the difference in Texas winning or losing Saturday, but that's the type of stubborn assed thinking that keeps you fumbling through 7 or so wins per year 'cos you can't get out of your own way.

He was running well, had scored a TD. Was getting going. Hell, and the true freshman on the other sideline was catching and throwing touchdowns.

Gotta lose that stubbornness. You're not good enough to be that picky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

No.  No it was not.  Two years as a special team/tight ends coach on a shitty team is nothing like four years as a head coach with a 34-28 record.

Briles left Stephenville after the 1999 season to join Mike Leach's staff at Texas Tech. While serving as running backs coach, Briles improved Texas Tech's rushing average every year from 66.4 yards a game in his first year to 99.6 yards a game in 2002. He also coached all-conference backs and later NFL players Ricky A. Williams, Shaud Williams, and Taurean Henderson. In addition, the first player he recruited to Texas Tech, undersized wide receiver Wes Welker, went on to catch more than 250 passes and return an NCAA-record eight punts for touchdowns while at Tech, and then had even greater success in the NFL with five Pro Bowl appearances.[6]

In 2003, Briles was hired as head coach at the University of Houston, where he took over a program that had an 8–26 record under the previous coach, Dana Dimel. The Cougars went 0–11 two years before Briles' arrival. In his first season, Briles led the Cougars to a 7–5 record, including a 54–48 triple-overtime loss to Hawaiʻi, in the Sheraton Hawaiʻi Bowl.

After a 3–8 season in 2004, Briles guided the Cougars to a 6–6 season and another bowl game in 2005. In 2006, he led the Cougars to a 10–4 record and the Conference USA Championship that was played on December 1, 2006. The Cougars won the game, 34–20, and it was the school's second C-USA Championship (the first came in 1996, in the school's inaugural season in the C-USA).

In 2007, the Cougars finished second in the Conference USA West Division to Todd Graham's Tulsa Golden Hurricane. Houston was invited to the Texas Bowl, which was played December 28, 2007, at Reliant Stadium.[11] It was Houston's fourth bowl appearance in five years. Briles left the Cougars before their bowl game to take the head coaching job at Baylor.

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic