Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

He’s a fraud. He’ll coach a lot more games here until you come to that same conclusion. 

I hope he does coach many more games here. I could understand the panic if we were in Michigan’s situation where the entire team was recruited and developed under one staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Which Mack Brown?  Second-year Mack Brown who lost his home opener to N.C. State?*

*Not apologizing for Herman, of course.

You know, I'd almost forgotten about that game.  Thanks.

But didn't we lose because of three blocked punts returned for TDs?  That's pretty freakish.  And when you think about how Texas became a punt/kick blocking machine the next few seasons, he not only fixed, he emulated it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasFan21 said:

I hope he does coach many more games here. I could understand the panic if we were in Michigan’s situation where the entire team was recruited and developed under one staff.

Stick around...you might be my new cdt23. 

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

This was amazing. We marched down the field and scored in like one minute and seven plays. And that was the end of that (and Ingram). 

This was Mensa's come to Jesus moment - and he and his shithead OC blew it. His credibility card has been cancelled. You play to win or you don't play at all. Performers play, pretenders ride the bench. And that goes for coaches too. Fuck this shit. We can take a close loss - but not when it happens because of poor coaching. You wanna slide into your position like you're breaking in a new car? Fuck that. It's a war. You slide into a war by by beating the fuck out of your opponent in the first hour. Get your ass in gear.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Mack also beat Nebraska on the road his first season ending their 47 game home winning streak.  During that season he beat OU, he beat A&M, he won a Cotton Bowl over Mississippi State and former thorn in Texas side Jackie Sherrill.  Oh and he didn't fuck up Ricky Williams winning the Heisman. In short Mack came in and put something a little...hell a LOT more substantial on the board his first season and wasn't a dickhead in the process.  So yea that NC State game sucked ass, but the two situations are not remotely comparable.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Player said:

I would assume CDC has directed someone to informally start digging into that already.

Yes, and I have already offered up my services to go to the scrip club in question for a thorough probe into that event.  I anticipate the investigation will take approximately 2 weeks and around $70k, but I willingly offer to do this for the good of the university.  

• Like 1

Yep that’s  what we would expect. A coach that comes in and coaches up even decent talent and  wins games like Saturday and during that season coaches the team to play above their talent level and pull a upset or two like Nebraska road game.  

Instead we have to endure a jackwad talking about fairy dust and of mice and men.

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Mack also beat Nebraska on the road his first season ending their 47 game home winning streak.  During that season he beat OU, he beat A&M, he won a Cotton Bowl over Mississippi State and former thorn in Texas side Jackie Sherrill.  Oh and he didn't fuck up Ricky Williams winning the Heisman. In short Mack came in and put something a little...hell a LOT more substantial on the board his first season and wasn't a dickhead in the process.  So yea that NC State game sucked ass, but the two situations are not remotely comparable.  

I know. I’m just being a punchy son of a bitch this weekend.

31 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

This guy has coached 14 games at The University of Texas and people legit want him canned. For fucks sake guys, get a grip. 

Question, is '21 when you graduate?  Do you know the recent history of UT football?   How about the past 4 years in particular? 

Summary:  Prior to 2014 we had a coach for a decade and a half who went 1-1 in title games but overstayed his welcome.  We replaced it with a mid-major up and comer coordinator from e UM coaching tree, and that guy was in over his head and shit the bed for 3 years. 

We replaced him with a carbon copy and are surprisingly getting the exact same results.  We have seen this train wreck played out already,  now we are watching the same movie in left-right reversal but we know how this ends.  Same fucking movie.  

Question, is '21 when you graduate?  Do you know the recent history of UT football?   How about the past 4 years in particular? 
Summary:  Prior to 2014 we had a coach for a decade and a half who went 1-1 in title games but overstayed his welcome.  We replaced it with a mid-major up and comer coordinator from e UM coaching tree, and that guy was in over his head and shit the bed for 3 years. 
We replaced him with a carbon copy and are surprisingly getting the exact same results.  We have seen this train wreck played out already,  now we are watching the same movie in left-right reversal but we know how this ends.  Same fucking movie.  

I have been out of school for some times now and I’ve lived it just as you all have but JFC get a grip man. We are wanting to can a coach after 14 fucking games.

All I’m saying is step away from the ledge. 14 games for a coach is a small sample size. If this season is a repeat of last year, then we have an issue.

6 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

I personally wouldn’t have any issue with this. Could this even be done? Would Orlando stay?

If Mack hadn't put himself over the program on his way out, I wouldn't have a problem with it. His actions are a large part of why we are here. He doesn't deserve it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

I have been out of school for some times now and I’ve lived it just as you all have but JFC get a grip man. We are wanting to can a coach after 14 fucking games.

All I’m saying is step away from the ledge. 14 games for a coach is a small sample size. If this season is a repeat of last year, then we have an issue.

Go look at the last post in Herman vs strong because I'm not reposting it here.  14 games is a pretty good sample size when you can directly compare it to 37 prior games and tenure. 

Just now, Deej said:

If Mack hadn't put himself over the program on his way out, I wouldn't have a problem with it. His actions are a large part of why we are here. He doesn't deserve it. 

Yes. The notion of bringing Mack back is a notch below the “we should’ve hired Jeff Traylor” level of dumb.

I'll admit I was on the Herman train when he was hired.  That soured a bit when given carte blanche he hired a rag-tag team of coordinators, then a bit more when he hired the Baylor douche.  When he didn't fire Beck after last season, I was hanging by a thread, but trusted he knew what he was doing.  Now I'm completely off the train and want him gone yesterday.  

The problem is were already paying at least one ex-coach (not sure if we're still paying Mack), so I don't see the BMDs shelling out for another one.  I think the only way we get rid of Herman is if the Ohio State thing brings any new information to the surface and we can terminate for cause.

3 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I don't think Herman is going to work out here, but we'd scare off a lot of potentially good/great head coaches if we fire him after year two. That kind of coaching turnover shows the program and athletic department are unstable.

Not really.  Just prepare a power point with his record, a list of his assistants, and clips of his pressers where he defends the few assholes on his staff and has no clue what the problem is or how to fix it.  

Theres about a 100 or more big swinging dick egos in football who would take a look and know they could do better.   Not that they all could, but if you're coaching at this level you have a lot of narcissism/ego/hubris/confidence, pick your combo.  

13 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I don't think Herman is going to work out here, but we'd scare off a lot of potentially good/great head coaches if we fire him after year two. That kind of coaching turnover shows the program and athletic department are unstable.

I think CDC could get his honeymoon hire here and he won't have trouble dangling the job in front of guys who think they can do it better than Herman. I don't think it would be a hard sell for him to tell prospective candidates that Herman wasn't his hire and I am sure he will offer the coin and guarantees to prove it. The bigger question might be whether the big donors have given up on Herman and are willing to pony up for a change. Are Perrin's buddies in Houston ready to admit their coup was failed and fork over more cash so CDC can actually conduct a coaching search without their meddling?

Edited by rickyspub
Should add that I don't think it will happen. Herman will get at least 3 to show adequate progress...hoping CDC and I share the same metrics on progres.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

That kind of coaching turnover shows the program and athletic department are unstable.

So what?  The truth is that our athletic department was unstable until we hired CDC.

Strong was hired by a guy who didn't even last as long as he did, and Herman was hired by a Houston attorney pretending to be an AD.... without even having a coaching search.

I think most coaches would keep that in mind when evaluating the opportunity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

I think CDC could get his honeymoon hire here and he won't have trouble dangling the job in front of guys who think they can do it better than Herman. I don't think it would be a hard sell for him to tell prospective candidates that Herman wasn't his hire and I am sure he will offer the coin and guarantees to prove it. The bigger question might be whether the big donors have given up on Herman and are willing to pony up for a change. Are Perrin's buddies in Houston ready to admit their coup was failed and fork over more cash so CDC can actually conduct a coaching search without their meddling?

Yeah I'll admit that I'm intrigued by how CDC would handle a football coaching search. He seems to have brought in great coaches in softball and track. You're right about the donors though. Realistically, Herman won't be fired this year unless most of the donors have given up on him and/or he wins less than six games. 

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

That will not be an issue.  Patterson was a shitty AD, we fired him after a year and got CDC.  Herman is a shitty coach. There is a decent chance we start the year 1-5.  If that happens, the wheels will come off.  No potential candidate will turn us down bc we wanted to cut ties with an asshole underachieving coach.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

So what?  The truth is that our athletic department was unstable until we hired CDC.

Strong was hired by a guy who didn't even last as long as he did, and Herman was hired by a Houston attorney pretending to be an AD.... without even having a coaching search.

I think most coaches would keep that in mind when evaluating the opportunity.

I like CDC, but I won't believe Herman is getting fired after this year until I see it happen. For how unified the boosters apparently were in getting him, I have a hard time believing they'll turn on him unless we miss a bowl game or worse.

21 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

So, how many games do you think that he should get?

Don’t care. I’m pissing on this dude’s carpet grass this afternoon. And it’s gonna be dark, not-championship level piss. Real dehydrated bourbon gobbling piss. Fuck-you-tom piss. 

When we hire a new coach eventually, I think it needs to be someone who's proven they can rebuild a program from the ground up. I don't want anyone who walked into a good situation and made them better. I think Muschamp fits the bill if he gets South Carolina to 10+ wins this year. This might sound ridiculous, but our players are just used to losing. The program is mired in a culture of losing, and I think there's a good chance Herman is going to lose the locker room if he can't beat at least one of USC/TCU.

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Didn’t CDC stick with Patterson through some rough years early on? I think that experience is going to play a big role in how he deals with Herman...he’s going to be here longer than anyone wants to think about right now.

CDC stuck by Patterson because CDC new that he was a winner and TCU was transition from the mountain west into the big 12 and was going to suffer some growing pains.

• Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Despite all the sound and fury, the majority don't want him fired right now.  Even if we wanted to, it's not going to happen.  He'll get his 3 years, barring some scandal or something horrific this year like 2-10.  It's just that we've seen this movie before and we know how it ends.  And we're stuck sitting through it for another 15 months.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

I don't think there's any point in firing him right now, but these 14 games have shown me enough that I know he's not up for this job, and I'll have no problems with him getting fired in December.

32 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

And this is bullshit.  

Every coach in the country is wondering how in the fuck Texas managed to lose to Maryland for the second year in a row, and there's not a single coach who thinks that would have happened to him if he were getting paid $5M/year to coach Texas.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Not really.  Just prepare a power point with his record, a list of his assistants, and clips of his pressers where he defends the few assholes on his staff and has no clue what the problem is or how to fix it.  

Theres about a 100 or more big swinging dick egos in football who would take a look and know they could do better.   Not that they all could, but if you're coaching at this level you have a lot of narcissism/ego/hubris/confidence, pick your combo.  

No one is going to come here if he thinks he's only have 1 year to win. Saban is a big swinging dick as you say and he refused to come because we were disfunctional 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And this is bullshit.  

Every coach in the country is wondering how in the fuck Texas managed to lose to Maryland for the second year in a row, and there's not a single coach who thinks that would have happened to him if he were getting paid $5M/year to coach Texas.  

I'm sure many coaches are wondering that. The thing is, how many successful coaches (who are likely well compensated) at other programs would want to leave the comfort of their job for a job that's an immediate pressure cooker with hoards of hovering boosters and intense fan scrutiny? CDC better get the athletic department's ducks in a row if we're ever going to find someone proven to be great who will turn this team back into a giant. Thankfully, I'm optimistic about CDC and how he'll manage the situation.

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

No one is going to come here if he thinks he's only have 1 year to win. Saban is a big swinging dick as you say and he refused to come because we were disfunctional 

He's getting at least 3, that's pretty much a given.  But if he shits the bed as bad this year as the way we started out, I don't think 2 or 3 makes any real difference.  

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I'm sure many coaches are wondering that. The thing is, how many successful coaches (who are likely well compensated) at other programs would want to leave the comfort of their job for a job that's an immediate pressure cooker with hoards of hovering boosters and intense fan scrutiny? CDC better get the athletic department's ducks in a row if we're ever going to find someone proven to be great who will turn this team back into a giant. Thankfully, I'm optimistic about CDC and how he'll manage the situation.

The shithole to the east did it with money.  I wouldn't want bilbo as my coach but I their program is the poster child of crazy, rabid, weird fan base, and he SHOULD be in a pressure cooker even though that's not a place that can win championships in the modern era, except aggy and 10 years guaranteed money.   The riot is he was on the outs at FSU and they probably could have got him for 5 years guaranteed.  

My worry is that Surly is on the edge of UT fandom. I wonder if the rank and file just accept the status quo.

Texas could be staring 1-5 in the face really quickly. 2-4 looks more realistic. I wonder what happens to Herman then. At that point you have to be getting crushed on recruiting trail as USC, OU and TCU would have won.

Texas goes 2-4 or 1-5 to start I could then see Avg Horn Fan starting to get upset. Especially if Jimbo makes some noise.

I do see CDC making Tom at that point fire Beck and the Offensive Staff. One of those "they go or you go" deals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I think you're overestimating our level of "intense fan scrutiny" relative to other successful P5 programs.

And how many successful P5 programs wouldn't be a pressure cooker if you lost the opener two seasons in a row to fucking Maryland?  

Just now, Treefidy said:

The shithole to the east did it with money.  I wouldn't want bilbo as my coach but I their program is the poster child of crazy, rabid, weird fan base, and he SHOULD be in a pressure cooker even though that's not a place that can win championships in the modern era, except aggy and 10 years guaranteed money.   The riot is he was on the outs at FSU and they probably could have got him for 5 years guaranteed.  

That situation was unique in that their AD, Scott Woodward, already had a great relationship with Jimbo. Baggins has wanted out of FSU for at least three years if you believe the rumors. That plus an insane guaranteed contract was enough for him to go to aggy. Hell, he'd be LSU's coach right now if their university and athletic department weren't incompetent and/or broke. We could have a situation similar to that with CDC and Patterson. However, Patterson has shown no desire to leave TCU and probably detests UT.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic