Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

6 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Tom in the presser went back to saying fans can talk about WHAT happened but not WHY it happened. I need put up a sign during Saturday's walk.

WHY? You hired Tim Beck!

Yep this Saturday I expect to see a shit load of 

The WHAT: the offense sucks

The WHY: you hired Tim beck

1 hour ago, 54_Strat said:

In his presser, Herman said he told Drayton during the rain delay that he didn’t want a true freshman playing with the game on the line. 

And Watson fumbles, Porter drops the pass right before the interception. Wouldn't want a freshman out there making a mistake or anything. 

I worry Beck is not the real issue here.  

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I worry Beck is not the real issue here.  

Beck is a symptom.  Herman's stubborn, "I'm smarter than everyone", attitude is the problem.  

He's like a Trumpkin...no amount of factual evidence will convince him he's wrong.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 9

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

How many years did we get to here that from Mack after the annual OU beatdown?

Herman is feeling like a combo of “Bad Mack’s” thin-skinned whining & bled for program with Strong’s lack of preparation (see delay of 1st play of season)

looking fwd to continued success. 

Shut the fuck up.  You are tremendous fucking tool with this Jeff Traylor bit....and I like Traylor.  But you in here talking about the University of Fucking Texas hiring a HS coach with no college HC or hell even true proven coordinator experience under his belt is so over the line of stupid you can't even see the fucking line you hack.

Seriously...go staple your hands to your face.

Tell me how that Charlie Strong and Tom Herman hires are working out?

9 hours ago, El Squared said:

While being all defensive , can TH actually sense the pressure, or is he that obtuse.

Coach Potato was that obtuse, I guess we will see by mid-season if anything will change, or if TH just rides out his contract, cashing checks and going full Mackovic.

He looked pretty frazzled in yeastedays presser.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Don't criticize Makovic for his O.  It was normally pretty good.  His D was the worst fucking thing ever.  When we fired him I remember joking can we keep.him on as O coord?

Ahhhhh you mean until Charlie Strong showed up and proved that the defense can always get worse...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Scipio absolutely destroys the coaching staff for not running the ball on the final possession versus Maryland's 3 man rush like we did successfully at the end of the 1st half. A lot of us were calling for this in the game thread. The offense is a total clusterfuck with Beck. 

From what I saw they had the gameplan, and were not going to change one bit. No adjustments necessary, trust the gameplan above everything else.

2 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

For all you people that think we should get Coach Bro if tech cuts him loose, it aint gonna happen.  Herman is not going to hire anybody that might upstage him.  What I don't understand is why don't he run the offense himself.  Its his offense......run it.

Because of the down-side risk if he fails. He can hang Beck out to dry after this year and go after a new OC if the O fails, but if he takes over the O and it fails, the path forward becomes a lot sketchier.

'Member when _iaz shit the bed? We brought in Gerg to "consult" and things got better in a hurry? The playcaller doesn't have to be a corch, does he? Oughta be someone we could hire to "consult" on the playcalls, huh? Not that MensaTom would let his ego be pushed aside for such a thing, but...

7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

'Member when _iaz shit the bed? We brought in Gerg to "consult" and things got better in a hurry? The playcaller doesn't have to be a corch, does he? Oughta be someone we could hire to "consult" on the playcalls, huh? Not that MensaTom would let his ego be pushed aside for such a thing, but...

We initially brought in Greg Robinson to "consult" when our 2012 defense sucked, but when our defense did not get better and Manny shit the bed against BYU, Mack elevated Robinson to defensive coordinator. I'm not sure how a "consultant" as opposed to an outright coaching change is going to significantly improve things.

You neglected to include he also has John Macovics arrogance and Greg Davis' unwillingness to modify the offesive approach. 
Remember, some people have actually complimented Macovic in comparison to Herman Offense, but that dumb fuck used Ricky Williams as a Full back and Priest Holmes road some bench.
He is a prefect storm of shit of the worst coaching issues at Texas over the past 20 plus years.

Greg Davis deserves a lot of blame. During games, he struggled to change up the offensive play calling, however over his entire tenure he actually changed his offense and philosophy dramatically. That change helped us win the title. He should at least get credit for that.

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Greg Davis deserves a lot of blame. During games, he struggled to change up the offensive play calling, however over his entire tenure he actually changed his offense and philosophy dramatically. That change helped us win the title. He should at least get credit for that.

The inability or the unwillingness to change during the game WAS his problem.  I cant decide if he "changed" his philosophy or if Vince just took over.  I wonder sometimes if GD had a clue what Vince was going to do.  VY was the difference maker.  He could make chicken salad out of chicken shit.  

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

2 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

The inability or the unwillingness to change during the game WAS his problem.  I cant decide if he "changed" his philosophy or if Vince just took over.  I wonder sometimes if GD had a clue what Vince was going to do.  VY was the difference maker.  He could make chicken salad out of chicken shit.  

I agree that Greg Davis deserves more credit than he may get for changing the offense in 2004.  I'm not so sure we still win a title with Vince and play for another one with Colt if Greg stuck to the pro-style offense from the Applewhite/Simms era. 

I also think Greg takes more blame than he should for the change to our offense in 2010, because I think that was more of a product of Mack trying to cram an SEC-style smash mouth offense down his throat after the loss to Alabama.

But yeah, his inability to make adjustments, particularly against OUsux, was infuriating.

23 minutes ago, South Austin said:

We initially brought in Greg Robinson to "consult" when our 2012 defense sucked, but when our defense did not get better and Manny shit the bed against BYU, Mack elevated Robinson to defensive coordinator. I'm not sure how a "consultant" as opposed to an outright coaching change is going to significantly improve things.

Perhaps the best pure coaching job (Robinson, not Mack's terrible indecisiveness) I've ever seen at UT.  Robinson was put in an impossible situation and made chicken salad out of dogshit that year.  

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Playcall-by-committee doesn't work in gametime. We need one playcaller. Beck ain't the guy. If MensaTom doesn't take over, we need someone else to do it. Unless you want Hand or Mehringer, it has to be someone not on the coaching staff. Hell, I don't know if there's anyone available to "consult", but if there is, any improvement at all is significant.

Yeah, it's a Dumb Idea - but not any dumber than firing the head coach after one game into his second season.

57 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

'Member when _iaz shit the bed? We brought in Gerg to "consult" and things got better in a hurry? The playcaller doesn't have to be a corch, does he? Oughta be someone we could hire to "consult" on the playcalls, huh? 

I think I get what you're saying -- hire 2018 National Madden Champion!

44 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Perhaps the best pure coaching job (Robinson, not Mack's terrible indecisiveness) I've ever seen at UT.  Robinson was put in an impossible situation and made chicken salad out of dogshit that year.  

It's a bit easier on defense to pull this off than on offense. Robinson did an incredible job coaching, but the majority of the change was just playing a very vanilla defense with easy reads as opposed to the complexities from Diaz's defense. I don't really know what that change would be for UT as we struggle run blocking (interior has really, really suffered), and Sam can't hit the "easy" completions consistently. I guess the only changes would be go super QB run heavy (high risk of injury to Sam) or put in Boo and play a more vanilla offense. 

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

This, any anger directed at Beck is done so incorrectly. Not that Beck is worth a shit, he's not but Tom Herman picked him and refused to fire him after last year's shit show.

There is a head chief in charge of "The Texas Longhorns" and all fury and angst should be correctly direct at him.

That's  the total truth. The 5 million dollar man . Its his money and his responsibility....ALL OF IT.

He seems like he thought the Maryland game was a throwaway , NFL pre-season type , doesn't count , doesn't -matter- try -out scrimmage.

This was the pre-game, in-game, and post-game attitude he displayed...whether he intentionally did that or not, that's how it came across.

"Every game matters'' :  He either doesn't know, or doesn't care. Very poor self-awareness.

Edited by El Squared

2 minutes ago, El Squared said:

That's  the total truth. The 5 million dollar man . Its his money and his responsibility....ALL OF IT.

He seems like he thought the Maryland game was a throwaway , NFL pre-season type , doesn't count , doesn't -matter- try -out scrimmage.

This was the pre-game, in-game, and post-game attitude he displayed...whether he intentionally did that or not, that's how it came across.

"Every game matters'' :  He either doesn't know, or doesn't care. Very poor self-awareness.

#1-0

10 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Scipio absolutely destroys the coaching staff for not running the ball on the final possession versus Maryland's 3 man rush like we did successfully at the end of the 1st half. A lot of us were calling for this in the game thread. The offense is a total clusterfuck with Beck. 

Well then you guys are total fools.

Porter was in at RB. Because we needed a veteran.

/sarcasm

5 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

His whole "this loss doesn't mean we still can't win the Big 12" is so fucking straight from Mack it's frightening.  If we hear "scares you to death" it's time for pitchforks and lanterns on the 40 acres.

The thing is, the opposite is true as well. Winning that game doesn’t mean we will win the big 12. Which is the exact problem with smarter than you mensa Head. Fuck Herman for thinking that kind of quote appeases the fans. 

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

You neglected to include he also has John Macovics arrogance and Greg Davis' unwillingness to modify the offesive approach. 

Remember, some people have actually complimented Macovic in comparison to Herman Offense, but that dumb fuck used Ricky Williams as a Full back and Priest Holmes road some bench.

He is a prefect storm of shit of the worst coaching issues at Texas over the past 20 plus years.

whoa, whoa, whoa... Greg Davis modified the offensive approach for just about every QB and RB combo.  Applewhite, Simms, Mock, VY, Colt, GG, Case, Ash... Priest, Ricky, Brett Robin, Ced, Selvin, Jamaal Charles, Ogbannaya...

It was always conservative and easy to figure out, but he put in wrinkles and tweaks to fit the skill set for all of those guys.

We would have scored 40 if Greg Davis were the OC on Saturday...

we'd get pantsed by OU and TCU, but we'd put 40 on everyone else.

Edited by Snacks
Case and Ash was HarsinWhite... but whatever.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Snacks said:

whoa, whoa, whoa... Greg Davis modified the offensive approach for just about every QB and RB combo.  Applewhite, Simms, Mock, VY, Colt, GG, Case, Ash... Priest, Ricky, Brett Robin, Ced, Selvin, Jamaal Charles, Ogbannaya...

It was always conservative and easy to figure out, but he put in wrinkles and tweaks to fit the skill set for all of those guys.

I always understood that Mack put a governor on the GDGD offense, but claimed he didn't to protect his buddy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Yeah, we scored a fuckload of points under Davis.  Against top competition we fizzled a bit, but I still tend to think that was meddlin Mack.  But Davis' offenses tended to be light years ahead of what we've had.  And I think just about everyone agrees he was an above-average QB coach.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic