Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Lulz yeah, Herman was added yesterday shortly after I posted that list. Rather amusing and coincidental. 
As far as recognizing names, yeah, it's not a who's who, and getting into Mensa isn't much of an accomplishment. That's why I noted that I qualified too. While do not think I'm an idiot, the jury is still out on me. I'm certainly not regarded.
I KNOW Tom Herman is an idiot, and the pastafarian drunk Asia Carera is not only insane but pretty sad. So, that's my take on Mensa and Tom (don't question me I'm a genius) Herman.

Don’t insult the great Asia Carera like this, asshole.

Watching the LHN and it’s showing Herman call parents about them being voted captains. When this was first announced as happening it sounded nice, but watching it again and after this weekend, I feel like he did it so he could get the accolades. Why not let them call their own parents to deliver the news?

Edited by SubliminalHorn

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't have it in me to go back and read 25 pages, so pardon me if this has been addressed:  at the point where firing Herman becomes an actual possibility, how much of his contract will need to be paid out? 

"If Texas decides to fire Herman without cause, it will owe him $5 million for each remaining year on the contract, with partial years pro-rated. However, Texas will be able to offset that by all “football-related” income Herman would get, according to the term sheet released by the university."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/12/03/texas-regents-release-term-sheet-tom-herman-28750000-over-5-years/94907810/

Mack Brown always used to talk up the other team an dhow tough they played and it would annoy the fuck out of me. But Mack Brown would win close games and teams he should beat on the regular. He might have gotten ass fucked by ou but he followed it up by running the table and Texas winning 10 games and a bowl game.

mack brown wouldn’t have lost Saturday to Maryland. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

First I want to congratulate Maryland, that was an emotional football team that had a lot to play for.  it's really hard to go on the road and beat a power 5 school especially one fighting to pay respects for a fallen teammate

Mack, is that you?

Charlie tried and it got him fired. It's not like the NFL, MLB, or the NBA where you can dozer it and then get top draft picks, sadly. 

While I agree Charlie had to go. He didn’t help himself when he purged the roster. He could coached those upper class players up and reestablished the depth chart where we did t have to play so many freshman.

I realize this site is only a small slice of the worst that Texas fandom has to offer, but the fan vitriol right now feels very similar to end of era Mack, with one major exception.  Mack had a minimum amount of goodwill and fan/BMD support that he was never going to lose, due to his accomplishments.  This guy has accomplished nothing.  It feels like he's already toast before he's even gotten going, with a snowball of negative momentum.  It will take a remarkable turnaround this season to unflush his tenure.

This was the game he couldn't lose.  Last year's loss to MD was bad of course but he had to know he couldn't pull the same shit again.  He just lost the biggest game in his coaching career to this point and looked lost in doing it and now looks lost in dealing with the fallout.....the vitriol is well deserved.  

And if he didn't realize this was the biggest game of his coaching career...he's a lot dumber than he thinks he is.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Spoiler alert, this is a list of famous Mensa folks. But here is a fun fact prior, I fucking qualified for Mensa. I'm one helluva standardized test taker. Before you jump in to this list, I'm going to point out that I am 100% certain which entry will be Surly's favorite. Final spoiler: our HC isn't mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mensans

After listening to that press conference, List of Menses seems more appropriate. 

I have liked a bunc of corchs who have been fired.  I loved DKR, but 1976 you know.  I liked Fred Akers so much I went to his Thursday Lunches at the Union.  I even liked Makovic especially after beating the Nebs.  Yeah, I drank Mack’s Koolaid and even like butter.

Even Charlie made you want him to do well in his bumbling over his head situation, but Ol’Titty Bar Tom has not done anything which makes me like him.  His hand is seriously over played and we need to cut our loses.  

Orlando for interim as Urban’s shite takes Tom down.  The Leach and the revolution or some old school Jerry Gray.

Edited by Domedriver

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I realize this site is only a small slice of the worst that Texas fandom has to offer, but the fan vitriol right now feels very similar to end of era Mack, with one major exception.  Mack had a minimum amount of goodwill and fan/BMD support that he was never going to lose, due to his accomplishments.  This guy has accomplished nothing.  It feels like he's already toast before he's even gotten going, with a snowball of negative momentum.  It will take a remarkable turnaround this season to unflush his tenure.

The worst?  Fuck you.  Try most passionate and most aware. 

• Like 2

here is the big issue I see coming up

this guy is "letting players find new homes" (IE players transferring) left and right and he is going to have something like 28 spots to fill in recruiting after this season and as of now Texas has only 15 of those spots filled......I have concerns with keeping those 15 spots filled and I have major concerns with how the other 13 or so get filled and even bigger concerns for down the road when (whichever) person is having to coach them as such a major portion of the team 

keeping players around that will not see the field is clearly not a great option, but at least Charlie cleared the decks mostly in year 1

39 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah - that was part of my point in the Herman vs Strong thread.  I really despise Herman at this point, which is not terribly shocking, because he sucks and I'm a debbie downer by nature.  But, it's not just a few crazies like me.  Across the interwebs (not just this site - pretty much all of them) and across social media, he seems to have lost at least over half the fanbase, if not more.  And he's 14 fucking games into his tenure.  That's an impressive fall.  

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

If you cant see the disaster that is forming then you have your head buried in the sand.  That's why the consensus is so strong this time.  At this point in Strong's tenure there were still many just like you.  I think not is interesting there aren't as many sunshine pumpers this time around.

The best thing about the charlie strong era is it will make convincing a bunch of idiots of things that are plainly obvious much less difficult.

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ah, the old "We're Texas" argument. Love it. Darrell Royal had ONE SEASON at the then-backwater Washington when our BMDs were bold enough to hire him. Before that he'd been a position coach at a bunch of other shitholes and HC of the goddamn Edmonton Eskimos. In the early 1950s. Whoever hired him knew his football.

All Mack had proven when he got here was he could be Bobby Bowden's whipping boy, and it took not one but two transcendent QBs to prove he wasn't the same to Bob Stoops after he got here.

For the record, Royal coached two years at Mississippi State prior to moving to UW, who by that time had played in 4 Rose Bowls.

Edited by Bullneck

Cross post from the press conference thread, but I think it applies here too...

I had such high hopes for this hire. Those hopes were blunted by the whole Casey Horny thing (for which I wanted Herman disciplined in some way even after Fenves made him can CH). But it's becoming more and more apparent to me that UT hired a made-in-Taiwan John Mackovic with every bit of the narcissistic arrogance and none of the offensive acumen. At least Mackovic could pull an amazing play call out of his ass every now and then. I've seen nothing to suggest that Herman is capable of doing anything like that at this point...

The fact that Herman has insisted on running this same garbage offensive system no matter what and regardless of whether it fits the roster's talent is is just beyond baffling. Even GDGD, for all of his many, many, many, many, many faults, would usually at least try to tailor the offensive system to the team talent (the ridiculous "OMG GARRETT GILBERT PRO STYLE POWER RUN AMAZING" and "Vince Young: Pocket Passer GREAT SUCCESS" debacles aside).

Let that sink in for a moment: our current offensive genius head coach currently appears less competent than Greg fucking Davis. If that doesn't make you shudder, cringe, and possibly even vomit, all I can think is that the disaster on Saturday has rendered you completely emotionally numb to Texas football - and I don't blame you one bit.

Fun fact about actual intelligent people: they don't need a super special magical membership card to show everyone how smart they are. They also don't need to spout literary reference during press conferences to remind people that they're the smartest guy in the room. Everything about Herman screams "insecure fraud" to me and I think he's in WAY over his head.

I would love to be wrong, but...

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic