Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

When UH beat OU a couple of years ago, I remember being impressed by how disciplined the Cougars were and there overall execution offensively and defensively. That stood out to me the most.  Their talent was inconsistent, but you could tell the players completely bought in. 

We're starting to see that here at Texas.  The blocking from all offensive players has become crisper, we're converting on important plays, and the each players seems to be really focused on their assignment.  Obviously the 4th quarter was a defensive disaster, but I think (hope?) that it was an aberration and more of about the elite explosiveness of Murray and their receivers. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zavala said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Just rewatched the press confrence. Tom is slightly autistic there at the beginning. He corrects the guy by just saying lil' after he called LJ Jordan. Then he says "close enough" and just blanked instead of starting his speel, then said sorry no offense to the guy, he's just a stickler for names. Hilarious. When TH said that LJ gave a little nod it's pretty funny. TH has probably been pissed everyone is constantly messing up LJ's name.

Tell those old guys to call him LJ, they may never get the Lil' correct in the Lil'Jordan. 

Some are old enough to spell Li'l correctly, as in Li'l Abner... but we can still say it, and even apply it to Lil'Jordan. At least a li'l bit.

We're halfway to my original, pre-Maryland and post-Maryland prediction of 10-2 +/-2. MensaTom seems to be getting the culture ingrained into the team. 

Is it okay for MensaTom to be arrogant yet?

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

When UH beat OU a couple of years ago, I remember being impressed by how disciplined the Cougars were and there overall execution offensively and defensively. That stood out to me the most.  Their talent was inconsistent, but you could tell the players completely bought in. 

We're starting to see that here at Texas.  The blocking from all offensive players has become crisper, we're converting on important plays, and the each players seems to be really focused on their assignment.  Obviously the 4th quarter was a defensive disaster, but I think (hope?) that it was an aberration and more of about the elite explosiveness of Murray and their receivers. 

What I saw from ou in the fourth is a team that doesn't know how to lose.  From 2004 to 2009 we had that culture here.  No matter what, the players believed they would, not could, win and kept playing like it until the game was over.  We won a lot of games with that mentality, especially when trailing in the fourth.

Our team is still learning how to win, much less expecting/demanding it.  We'll get there, if we keep playing like we have most of this season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Is it okay for MensaTom to be arrogant yet?

No one cares if he’s winning and arrogant. It’s that whole losing the season opener, again, to Maryland, again, in embarrassing fashion, again, while moving his record to .500 and being a dick in the post game that rubs people wrong. 

If OU, KSU or Tulsa pull off the upsets that we’re there to be had you wouldn’t be asking this. 

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

No, you incorrectly ascribed misery to those who don’t share your view of fandom. That you can’t comprehend the ability to enjoy and anylyze simultaneously is understandable. That you then draw the conclusion the people who don’t think like you are lesser “miserable” people is BS. 

Says the guy who's last 15 post are negative thoughts about a victory. I'm just calling a spade a spade pal. Take it any way you like, but those are the facts and that doesn't fit MY definition of "enjoy and analyze" but you be you.  

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Says the guy who's last 15 post are negative thoughts about a victory. I'm just calling a spade a spade pal. Take it any way you like, but those are the facts and that doesn't fit MY definition of "enjoy and analyze" but you be you.  

Take your spade and shove it. You’ve clearly stated that you don’t understand how folks can criticize after a big win. That’s fine. People are wired different. 

You quit trying to define what is a fan and how they’re suppose act, and you’ll find the world a far less confusing place just because it doesn’t conform to your preconceived notions.

You might take a step back and consider that the Internet world isn’t real either, as interactions with users offers only the most minute glimpse into their thoughts on a matter. My failure to join some circle jerk on this site doesn’t mean I haven’t been complementary elsewhere. It only means that the comments made were on threads that interested me on this forum, and didn’t necessarily warrant gum drops and lollipops. Like your “I’m a better fan and person” routine. 

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Take your spade and shove it. You’ve clearly stated that you don’t understand how folks can criticize after a big win. That’s fine. People are wired different. 

You quit trying to define what is a fan and how they’re suppose act, and you’ll find the world a far less confusing place just because it doesn’t conform to your preconceived notions.

You might take a step back and consider that the Internet world isn’t real either, as interactions with users offers only the most minute glimpse into their thoughts on a matter. My failure to join some circle jerk on this site doesn’t mean I haven’t been complementary elsewhere. It only means that the comments made were on threads that interested me on this forum, and didn’t necessarily warrant gum drops and lollipops. Like your “I’m a better fan and person” routine. 

Btw, since you bothered to go to my profile to count posts I’ll clarify your nonsense about negativity.

7 posts were knocking down the “better fan” BS.

3 posts discussed not letting up when you have an opponent down.

1 discussed how a slightly better pass to John Burt could have yielded a TD.

1 discussed how Boyd misaligned on a TD pass over Locke. 

1 discussed how UT teams are no longer afraid of OU.

1 discussed Herman’s role as playcaller and of it was mentioned in the press conference.

And one was a refutation of a dumbass trying to use a one game outcome to define the career of Tim Beck’s career.

So, of my 15 “negative posts” only three were direct criticisms of the game on the same subject as a conversation with another poster, 1 was a critique of one pass and 1 an explanation of a defensive breakdown.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Btw, since you bothered to go to my profile to count posts I’ll clarify your nonsense about negativity.

7 posts were knocking down the “better fan” BS.

3 posts discussed not letting up when you have an opponent down.

1 discussed how a slightly better pass to John Burt could have yielded a TD.

1 discussed how Boyd misaligned on a TD pass over Locke. 

1 discussed how UT teams are no longer afraid of OU.

1 discussed Herman’s role as playcaller and of it was mentioned in the press conference.

And one was a refutation of a dumbass trying to use a one game outcome to define the career of Tim Beck’s career.

So, of my 15 “negative posts” only three were direct criticisms of the game on the same subject as a conversation with another poster, 1 was a critique of one pass and 1 an explanation of a defensive breakdown.  

giphy.gif

No one cares if he’s winning and arrogant. It’s that whole losing the season opener, again, to Maryland, again, in embarrassing fashion, again, while moving his record to .500 and being a dick in the post game that rubs people wrong. 
If OU, KSU or Tulsa pull off the upsets that we’re there to be had you wouldn’t be asking this. 
Yeah well we won all those games so what the fuck is your point?

Herman got us a bowl win last year. In dominating fashion. He has us number 9 right now and we finally have a swagger to us and we are confident. What is your fucking deal right now with Herman? He's doing exactly what we brought him in to do. The Maryland game is behind us. We can't do anything about that right now. Let that shit go.

Some people have a dad that wanted to discuss why they swung at that high pitch in dad's pitch little league. Sure, you hit a double, but you homered the other 3 at bats and only won 11-0 in 5 innings. It could've been 4 innings and saved us half an hour if you'd waited for your pitch instead of swinging at that high shit.

0cb2c43096f1180546ee6630bf2fb28e.jpg
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

being a dick

Who the fuck cares? Is he dating your daughter? 

I don't give two shits if Herman is a dick, an asshole, or whatever. Who the fuck cares? 

If you have criticisms of a coach on the field that's one thing. When you start with the "he's a dick" nonsense you just sound like a cry baby. Nobody gives a shit. He's a football coach. We aren't trying to be buddies with the dude. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yeah well we won all those games so what the fuck is your point?

My point, beast fucker, is that Tom Herman made an ass of himself when he had no standing to do so, and that he was rightly called on it. In fact, it’s pretty clear that he received coaching, likely from Mack Brown and or CDC, on how to not be such a dick after stepping on his crank so publicly yet again. As satisfying as this run has been  we’re still all of about 5 plays from  being a .500 team instead of #9 with a clear path to the conference title game.

So tap the brakes on throwing “arrogant Tom” shade at people. Barley beating people may be how our season goes and maybe we’ll all look back satisfyingly on 10-11 nail biting victories. Lord knows a considerable number of folks are already counting on it, and I’ll take it right now. 

Clearer now or should I try to translate it into stretch marks?

• Fuck You 4

28 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Who the fuck cares? Is he dating your daughter? 

I don't give two shits if Herman is a dick, an asshole, or whatever. Who the fuck cares? 

If you have criticisms of a coach on the field that's one thing. When you start with the "he's a dick" nonsense you just sound like a cry baby. Nobody gives a shit. He's a football coach. We aren't trying to be buddies with the dude. 

So shall I explain to you that’s it’s not ok to be a dick as a coach when you’re .500 after losing in embarrassing fashion yet again, or are you going to figure it out? 

I don’t care if he’s an ass and he wins. My tolerance for his ego goes up immensely when he does what he was hired to do. 

• Fuck You 1

It was a teachable moment for Tom and it was clear that CDC or someone else had spoken with him when it stopped.

Tom is getting used to the bite he chewed off taking this job, and if coming across as the arrogant SOB that he truly is at an inopportune moment is the worst thing he does, we are in pretty good shape. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

My point, beast fucker, is that Tom Herman made an ass of himself when he had no standing to do so, and that he was rightly called on it. In fact, it’s pretty clear that he received coaching, likely from Mack Brown and or CDC, on how to not be such a dick after stepping on his crank so publicly yet again. As satisfying as this run has been  we’re still all of about 5 plays from  being a .500 team instead of #9 with a clear path to the conference title game.

So tap the brakes on throwing “arrogant Tom” shade at people. Barley beating people may be how our season goes and maybe we’ll all look back satisfyingly on 10-11 nail biting victories. Lord knows a considerable number of folks are already counting on it, and I’ll take it right now. 

.....you're one of those people that actually applauded Chop Brown for asking Tom why he's so arrogant, aren't you?

That's so gross.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

It was a teachable moment for Tom and it was clear that CDC or someone else had spoken with him when it stopped.

Tom is getting used to the bite he chewed off taking this job, and if coming across as the arrogant SOB that he truly is at an inopportune moment is the worst thing he does, we are in pretty good shape. 

I agree that he’s learning some pretty big lessons on the job that were less critical as a head coach of Who Gives a Shit U. 

I haven’t posted a peep about Herman’s attitude in the last month. Merely retorting to those who are trying to wield his past foibles like a stick now that he’s experiencing success. 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

So shall I explain to you that’s it’s not ok to be a dick as a coach when you’re .500 after losing in embarrassing fashion yet again, or are you going to figure it out? 

I don’t care if he’s an ass and he wins. My tolerance for his ego goes up immensely when he does what he was hired to do. 

I really don't care. If he loses he will be fired. If he wins he will be praised. 

I don't give two shits how a coach acts as long as it's not the Baylor variety. I don't know why you are so worried about how Herman acts and it's clearly distorted your perception in regards to on field performance. 

Herman can be a dick, asshole, or whatever. It has little to no impact on how I view him. He will either win or he won't. 

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

.....you're one of those people that actually applauded Chop Brown for asking Tom why he's so arrogant, aren't you?

That's so gross.

I couldn’t tell you what Brown has to say at any given moment. I don’t read his work. My assessment of Herman’s arrogance is based on numerous factors. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

Count up dropped TD passes and misse FG’s against the opponents listed, note the final score, and tell me what our record would be had those plays gone differently. 

DKR would slap you with his ring hand if he was still alive

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I really don't care. If he loses he will be fired. If he wins he will be praised. 

I don't give two shits how a coach acts as long as it's not the Baylor variety. I don't know why you are so worried about how Herman acts and it's clearly distorted your perception in regards to on field performance. 

Herman can be a dick, asshole, or whatever. It has little to no impact on how I view him. He will either win or he won't. 

That’s up to you. You’ll find that coaches who lose and are assholes tend to have shortleashes.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Count up dropped TD passes and misse FG’s against the opponents listed, note the final score, and tell me what our record would be had those plays gone differently. 

That assumes Texas does everything the same after those events which is a dumb assumption to make. 

Edited by JOSEYWALES66

5 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

you've reached the "what if" stage to try and downplay our 5-1 record. That's just sad. Like that poster said above, take some time off. 

Are you always this miserable? 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That’s up to you. You’ll find that coaches who lose and are assholes tend to have shortleashes.

that's on Herman. I don't really care. Like I said, I'm not trying to be buddies with the dude. All I care about is if he wins. 

The short leash argument is dumb to begin with. Strong was a good dude and most people liked him. He got 3 years. At the end of the day, you better win or you will be fired. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

you've reached the "what if" stage to try and downplay our 5-1 record. That's just sad. Like that poster said above, take some time off. 

Are you always this miserable? 

I’m not downplaying our record. At all. No one, you included expected us to be 5-1 after UMD at this point in the season, and we’re all happy to be here. But I’m also cognizant that we very nearly lost to Tulsa at home and that the conversations would be different if the KSU TE hadn’t dropped a wide open TD pass two weeks ago. 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’m not downplaying our record. At all. No one, you included expected us to be 5-1 after UMD at this point in the season, and we’re all happy to be here. But I’m also cognizant that we very nearly lost to Tulsa at home and that the conversations would be different if the KSU TE hadn’t dropped a wide open TD pass two weeks ago. 

No you've been a Herman hater from the get go so you're putting "what if" statements out there so you can be right on the internet. 

Nobody here has excluded Tulsa/K-State/and Maryland from our conversations. We're just happy to beat a rival in arguably our biggest win in a decade. Sorry we aren't all that miserable. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

that's on Herman. I don't really care. Like I said, I'm not trying to be buddies with the dude. All I care about is if he wins. 

The short leash argument is dumb to begin with. Strong was a good dude and most people liked him. He got 3 years. At the end of the day, you better win or you will be fired. 

Strong got three years because of the third rail of football that can’t be discussed, possible bad PR because of it and his expensive contract buyout. His performance after two years didn’t justify further employment, and folks new he he was pretty much doomed to fail when he announced his staff. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Strong got three years because of the third rail of football that can’t be discussed, possible bad PR because of it and his expensive contract buyout. His performance after two years didn’t justify further employment, and folks new he he was pretty much doomed to fail when he announced his staff. 

Yeah and most people liked Strong. It didn't buy him any extra time. 

The "character" aspect of head coaches and how much of a leash they get is way overplayed and exaggerated. You either win or you don't. Herman being an asshole after losses has little to no impact on how long he will be the coach here. It will be the wins and losses. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yeah but that didn't happen. You sound like the team got to 5-1 by being lucky slapdicks, not because they go out and play well together and hit people and make big plays when they need to.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

No you've been a Herman hater from the get go so you're putting "what if" statements out there so you can be right on the internet. 

Nobody here has excluded Tulsa/K-State/and Maryland from our conversations. We're just happy to beat a rival in arguably our biggest win in a decade. Sorry we aren't all that miserable. 

There it is. “You’re just a Herman hater!”. Fuck that noise. I was indifferent to his hire and rightfully roasted his ass for his staff, game management and outcomes through Maryland of this year. I’ve said next to nothing since. 

Youre another one that apparently has to have some time frame after a win before anyone can say anything less than glowing about the program. 

This entire slap fest originated because someone wanted to talk shit about arrogant Tom and I called them on it. 

• Fuck You 1

A lot of great coaches are assholes. At any level. But no one gives a shit when you are winning. As long as it isn't Baylor type shit but that's way beyond just being an asshole.

Look at Parcells and Popovich. They were as smug and condescending as you can get. Saban as well. And they list goes on. I'd rather have that than what Charlie Strong brought.

• Like 1

This isn't the "celebrate our win over OU" thread.  This is the "fire Tom Herman" thread.  So, the question is, should he be fired?  The answer remains E) Not enough information given.

Yes, we seem to have turned it around from a bad loss at Maryland and a lame victory at Tulsa.  But this one win, as fantastical as it may be, does not get little Tommy Mensa completely out of the termination woods.  The same factors that cost us Maryland and almost cost us the lead in Dallas mean Tommy Boy could still fuck this up, and royally at that.

Herman has not yet learned to coach from a lead or a position of dominance.  He seems to have the underdog thing more or less down.

Goddamn it you got your 75 million from them aggy morons why you come here and show us you have no dick?

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic