Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Keep the foot on the gas. It would be nice to boat race these mother fuckers like Stoops always did to us. Not saying chunk it deep very play but keep 75% of the playbook open. If it wasn’t for the penalties on that first drive in the 4th I have no doubt that we would have driven it right back down their fucking throats. 

Im not thrilled with the comeback but it was a once in a lifetime effort by OU. So many things lined up perfect. We got the win so I will take it. If we see them again o have no doubt we will beat the fuck out of them. 

Bottom line... without the holding penalties in the 4th quarter we win by at least 14 and probably more. Both penalties brought back big gains. With those we are backed up near the end zone with long yardage. Without those we take tons of time off the clock and maybe even score again. We definitely let them back in it, which caused unnecessary angst. 

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why? We were ass raping them all game. Why switch up? Go for the kill. How many Black Saturdays did Stoops hand us? He never got conservative. When will coaches learn that if you play conservative, it can lead to this? We took the air out of the offense and fell apart. OU had zero answer for our offense.

Pretty sure the holding calls killed two drives. And you wanted a Simms level fuck up when we were backed up on our 3 because of aforementioned holding calls? I think he mostly played it right. On the drive we didn't get holding we churned out several first downs and ate a lot of time off the clock, despite going conservative. Your defense can't give up two TDs in just over a combined minute of game time. 

Bottom line... without the holding penalties in the 4th quarter we win by at least 14 and probably more. Both penalties brought back big gains. With those we are backed up near the end zone with long yardage. Without those we take tons of time off the clock and maybe even score again. We definitely let them back in it, which caused unnecessary angst. 

FWIW, I’m pretty sure both holding calls were because our guy flat out tackled a defender that was otherwise going to reach the backfield and ball carrier. Ie, the big gains wouldn’t have happened in all likelihood.

Man... I don't know... I wanted us to run the ball down their throats. We were crushing them. Running the ball would have killed several birds with one stone...

Limit turnover possibilities, kill clock, and give us play action for open 1:1 shots...

I thought we were getting cute and playing a bit backward. Incomplete on 1st and 2nd downs adds about a minute of game time, AND makes a long 3rd down pass play the required call. I'd prefer 3rd and 5 after runs of 2 and 3.

30 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Man... I don't know... I wanted us to run the ball down their throats. We were crushing them. Running the ball would have killed several birds with one stone...

Limit turnover possibilities, kill clock, and give us play action for open 1:1 shots...

I thought we were getting cute and playing a bit backward. Incomplete on 1st and 2nd downs adds about a minute of game time, AND makes a long 3rd down pass play the required call. I'd prefer 3rd and 5 after runs of 2 and 3.

Some of the calls were headscratching but the penalties were what killed those 2 drives that really let OU back in. What I didn't get about running the ball was why we didn't stick with Sam taking it. He was pushing OU all over the field. 

I don't know why people are upset with the "conservative" play calling at the end of the game. We were running the ball down their throats. OU was gassed and couldn't stop the run. 

The "conservative" play calling wasn't the issue. The holding calls that put us in 1st and 20 were the issue. 

There's been a lot of bitching about Beck and Herman abandoning the run when it works and they actually stuck with it yesterday. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The "conservative" play calling wasn't the issue. The holding calls that put us in 1st and 20 were the issue. 

Running the ball in that circumstance wasn't even necessarily "conservative". WR screens would have been "conservative" because they would have been high percentage completions away from the teeth of the expected defense.

The holding was absolutely the problem. Without them, we don't just milk clock, we probably score again.

Fuck me, we have a plethora of pusillanimous  pencil-dicked pea-brains present.

The fourth quarter was bizarre, but blaming MensaTom for the D fuckups is absurd. Three holding calls in two possessions nearly caused disaster, but no one with any sense is going to blame Hand - and by extension, MensaTom, unless you have a list of plays we can run which have no possibility of holding being called. 0U did a shit-load of holding, as noted, and got flagged rarely (or at all?)... hell, on one play where the midget scrambled around for what seemed like ten or fifteen minutes, I counted at least five holds, two on one Longhorn rusher by different gooners, and no call.  

Bottom line - unass your heads and act like you're from Texas. No one says you need to worship Ehlinger or anoint MensaTom, but you need to quit bitching about woulda coulda shoulda and recognize that we're getting better or getting a whole lot luckier - and neither one of those is cause for doom and gloom.

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Fuck me, we have a plethora of pusillanimous  pencil-dicked pea-brains present.

The fourth quarter was bizarre, but blaming MensaTom for the D fuckups is absurd. Three holding calls in two possessions nearly caused disaster, but no one with any sense is going to blame Hand - and by extension, MensaTom, unless you have a list of plays we can run which have no possibility of holding being called. 0U did a shit-load of holding, as noted, and got flagged rarely (or at all?)... hell, on one play where the midget scrambled around for what seemed like ten or fifteen minutes, I counted at least five holds, two on one Longhorn rusher by different gooners, and no call.  

Bottom line - unass your heads and act like you're from Texas. No one says you need to worship Ehlinger or anoint MensaTom, but you need to quit bitching about woulda coulda shoulda and recognize that we're getting better or getting a whole lot luckier - and neither one of those is cause for doom and gloom.

I think they got called for 2 holds and us 3, probably a record for a Big 12 game the last 10 years, especially the 2 on OU.

Herman's post-game locker room speech was on YouTube for a while but has since been pulled.  Anyone see it or have another link?  One of the quotes from it that I saw was "...those motherfuckers have to get on a bus and drive back to Norman, Oklahoma..."

23 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Herman's post-game locker room speech was on YouTube for a while but has since been pulled.  Anyone see it or have another link?  One of the quotes from it that I saw was "...those motherfuckers have to get on a bus and drive back to Norman, Oklahoma..."

Yeah I want to see this, everywhere I've looked it's been deleted or no longer available.  Has to be a video around somewhere.

Spoiler

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Just rewatched the press confrence. Tom is slightly autistic there at the beginning. He corrects the guy by just saying lil' after he called LJ Jordan. Then he says "close enough" and just blanked instead of starting his speel, then said sorry no offense to the guy, he's just a stickler for names. Hilarious. When TH said that LJ gave a little nod it's pretty funny. TH has probably been pissed everyone is constantly messing up LJ's name.

Tell those old guys to call him LJ, they may never get the Lil' correct in the Lil'Jordan. 

Todd is mainly responsible for the 4th quarter meltdown. All he has to do is make them sustain drives. Earn it. The one play score and then 5 play drive were killers. The holding didn’t help but the offense didn’t go 3 & out each time. Todd needed to dial it back. Keep everything in front and tackle. It was poorly managed on his part more so than the offense. That is the play calling that needs the criticism  

Make them sustain drives and they don’t have enough time to come back. 

Offensive playcalling was the best in at least 5 years. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zavala said:
  Hide contents

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Just rewatched the press confrence. Tom is slightly autistic there at the beginning. He corrects the guy by just saying lil' after he called LJ Jordan. Then he says "close enough" and just blanked instead of starting his speel, then said sorry no offense to the guy, he's just a stickler for names. Hilarious. When TH said that LJ gave a little nod it's pretty funny. TH has probably been pissed everyone is constantly messing up LJ's name.

Tell those old guys to call him LJ, they may never get the Lil' correct in the Lil'Jordan. 

Charles trying to keep his shit together in the last pic

12 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

We had every right to get beat two weeks in a row because Tom keeps applying axioms from other conferences to this one. It’s a far cry from having Indiana 21 down and OU 21 down.  

He needs to learn and grow from this. 

Idiot alert. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

Idiot alert. 

Thanks for clearly identifying yourself then. We blew big second half leads, in part by going conservative on offense. Nothing he said is particularly insightful, but it's not wrong. We need to think like our younger selves when we get a lead - never stop trying to score.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 2:04 AM, ztejas said:

I love this site. We beat #7 OU and hang the 3rd most points in program history against a top 10 opponent and somehow we need to bitch about the coaching. 

I said it a few pages back but a lot of people that post here can't be happy and must be the most miserable people in real life as I have no other explanation for those that find something to bitch about after a win let alone a W vs. OU. 

Sure a couple of players were out of position and some bad play calls were made on O and D but holy shit THAT is what people choose to focus on?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I said it a few pages back but a lot of people that post here can't be happy and must be the most miserable people in real life as I have no other explanation for those that find something to bitch about after a win let alone a W vs. OU. 

Sure a couple of players were out of position and some bad play calls were made on O and D but holy shit THAT is what people choose to focus on?

OU is good. Their QB is good. Their receivers are good. They are well conditioned. It is tough to hang with them for 4 quarters.

As much as I'd love to see them fall from here, OU is probably a 2 or 3 loss team this season. 

Where we looked weak at times was our pass rush and our containment at the second level. Which I would say is the weak spot of our defense, and playing against a fast team with the best OLine we'll see all year.

We should have blown them out but damn... this team is young to be doing anything like blowing top 10 OU out - let alone getting the win.

I'll fucking take it and let's beat Baylor by 50.

Edited by ztejas
sp
  • Like 1

OU is good. Their QB is good. Their receivers are good. They are well conditioned. It is tough to hang with them for 4 quarters.
As much as I'd love to see them fall from here, OU is probably a 2 or 3 loss team this season. 
Where we looked weak at times was our pass rush and our containment at the second level. Which I would say is the weak spot of our defense, and playing against a fast team with the best OLine we'll see all year.
We should have blown them out but damn... this team is young to be doing anything like blowing top 10 OU out - let alone getting the win.
I'll fucking take it and let's beat Baylor by 50.

Preach son!

16 hours ago, Zavala said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1.png2.png3.png4.png

He should just call him The Receiver.

36 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Some people have a dad that took them out for celebratory ice cream after their high school soccer team loses 6-0 to tell them how great they played.

Some people have a dad that wanted to discuss why they swung at that high pitch in dad's pitch little league. Sure, you hit a double, but you homered the other 3 at bats and only won 11-0 in 5 innings. It could've been 4 innings and saved us half an hour if you'd waited for your pitch instead of swinging at that high shit.

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Some people have a dad that took them out for celebratory ice cream after their high school soccer team loses 6-0 to tell them how great they played.

Some people have a dad that wanted to discuss why they swung at that high pitch in dad's pitch little league. Sure, you hit a double, but you homered the other 3 at bats and only won 11-0 in 5 innings. It could've been 4 innings and saved us half an hour if you'd waited for your pitch instead of swinging at that high shit.

Ice Cream Dad is cool the other is a massive Douche that needs to stop trying to relive his childhood through his fucking kids. 

In all seriousness there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, not being complacent, and wanting to correct physical or mental errors after a victory but I think plenty of people on this board need to take a step away from the keyboard and just enjoy the win every now and again. 

Sports are great for kids to learn lessons that they can use for the rest of their lives but they are also supposed to be fun. If you lose that balance (especially with young kids) you're fucking doing it wrong.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

And some kids grow up to be well-adjusted, successful adults who realize little league sports don't mean shit, while others go on to blow their heads off in the bathtub because they could never please their fathers...

wait, what are we talking about?

• Like 4

My point was simply that some people are taught from an early age to analyze every single minute detail and others just show up. Maybe Nick Saban likes to over analyze and be hypercritical because it works for him. Maybe it's how he was raised. Maybe he feels he owes his success to that. Maybe they're just wired differently than you. Maybe I was just responding to this:

must be the most miserable people in real life as I have no other explanation for those that find something to bitch about after a win let alone a W vs. OU.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

11 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

My point was simply that some people are taught from an early age to analyze every single minute detail and others just show up. Maybe Nick Saban likes to over analyze and be hypercritical because it works for him. Maybe it's how he was raised. Maybe he feels he owes his success to that. Maybe they're just wired differently than you. Maybe I was just responding to this:

must be the most miserable people in real life as I have no other explanation for those that find something to bitch about after a win let alone a W vs. OU.

It's all in the timing.

Constructive criticism can wait a few days until the victory celebration is done.  To focus on the (few) flaws in the team's performance IMMEDIATELY after a big win says the poster is a glass 1% empty sort of person.  They might even want everyone else to be as miserable as they are and so insist on not letting others enjoy a huge victory.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Fair enough but I know you aren't comparing people who post on this message board to Nick Saban, correct?! (Only half kidding)

Look I get upset and just as annoyed as anyone when a player misses an assignment, a coach makes a horrible decision or calls a play that doesn't work but bitching about it on a message board (or anywhere online) when you have no contact or influence on said decisions or actions seems rather funny to me. Which of course is ironic as I am posting on a message board about people's lives that I will never come in contact with but here we are.

What point was I trying to make again?.........

Just now, JimmyHoffa said:

Fair enough but I know you aren't comparing people who post on this message board to Nick Saban, correct?! (Only half kidding)

Look I get upset and just as annoyed as anyone when a player misses an assignment, a coach makes a horrible decision or calls a play that doesn't work but bitching about it on a message board (or anywhere online) when you have no contact or influence on said decisions or actions seems rather funny to me. Which of course is ironic as I am posting on a message board about people's lives that I will never come in contact with but here we are.

What point was I trying to make again?.........

Not really, but we do have a shit ton of engineers and lawyers for whom being anal retentive is a necessity if they want to stay employed. I just don't think some people can turn it off...and agree about our irrational connections to our sports teams.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

What new kind of BS is this?

its impossible to thrilled with a win and still see faults in the process?  

Yeah. That is little league thinking. 

Coaches love coaching hard after victories because it’s easier to ge their charges to listen to them.  They don’t just let shit slide because of a W. 

Many fans enjoy analyzing the intricacies of the game too. And they’re not lesser fans or people due to not sharing your high level view of sports. 

Instead of the eternal BS of asking others  “Why can’t you just be happy with the win?” why don’t you ask yourself why you can’t be happy letting people be whatever kind of fan they want or be. Because this “I’m a better fan for x or y reason” horse hockey is the epitome of small dick thinking. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Thanks for clearly identifying yourself then. We blew big second half leads, in part by going conservative on offense. Nothing he said is particularly insightful, but it's not wrong. We need to think like our younger selves when we get a lead - never stop trying to score.

You’ll find that VAhorn’s MO is to pop into threads and tell people they’re stupid while offering no insight of his own. Been happening for years on multiple sites. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

What new kind of BS is this?

its impossible to thrilled with a win and still see faults in the process?  

Yeah. That is little league thinking. 

Coaches love coaching hard after victories because it’s easier to ge their charges to listen to them.  They don’t just let shit slide because of a W. 

Many fans enjoy analyzing the intricacies of the game too. And they’re not lesser fans or people due to not sharing your high level view of sports. 

Instead of the eternal BS of asking others  “Why can’t you just be happy with the win?” why don’t you ask yourself why you can’t be happy letting people be whatever kind of fan they want or be. Because this “I’m a better fan for x or y reason” horse hockey is the epitome of small dick thinking. 

I never said I was a better fan. And people are welcome to criticize their favorite sports team, players, coaches after they beat their most hated rival. And I am welcome to shake my head that those that do to the extent some here (and everywhere for that matter) do. Again just glass half full vs. half empty stupid shit. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I never said I was a better fan. And people are welcome to criticize their favorite sports team, players, coaches after they beat their most hated rival. And I am welcome to shake my head that those that do to the extent some here (and everywhere for that matter) do. Again just glass half full vs. half empty stupid shit. 

No, you incorrectly ascribed misery to those who don’t share your view of fandom. That you can’t comprehend the ability to enjoy and anylyze simultaneously is understandable. That you then draw the conclusion the people who don’t think like you are lesser “miserable” people is BS. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I like tough coaches too, but I just doubt Tim Beck is telling Sam to stop being a mental midget for not throwing it away when he's supposed to, and Herb Hand is not telling Vahe that because he missed an assignment, that means he "does nothing almost every play."

People can be critical of our players and their mistakes without going overboard, too. I think that's what most people have a problem with. Some people get carried away and focus ONLY on the mistakes, and just try to one up one another on who can have the most clever insult about kids and young men who beat themselves up for our enjoyment.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:47 AM, Lurch said:

FWIW, I’m pretty sure both holding calls were because our guy flat out tackled a defender that was otherwise going to reach the backfield and ball carrier. Ie, the big gains wouldn’t have happened in all likelihood.

The one on shack where Ingram ripped off 15 was behind the play and didn’t impact anything.  It was a hold.  But ref should have swallowed the whistle.  

2 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I like tough coaches too, but I just doubt Tim Beck is telling Sam to stop being a mental midget for not throwing it away when he's supposed to, and Herb Hand is not telling Vahe that because he missed an assignment, that means he "does nothing almost every play."

People can be critical of our players and their mistakes without going overboard, too. I think that's what most people have a problem with. Some people get carried away and focus ONLY on the mistakes, and just try to one up one another on who can have the most clever insult about kids and young men who beat themselves up for our enjoyment.

You can choose to engage every asshole you see or let it go and deal with more reasonable people. 

We’re not discussing every little misstep by name a player here, but the overarching nonsense of better fandom due to the manner in which you enjoy the game. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic