Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

6 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I agree. Herman and CO had a good game plan but became a but too conservative. Normally I'm all for running the rock and killing the clock but ousux secondary had no answers for our 2 wide outs. 

Yeah, our offense clearly is a delicate thing.  You can't just change "direction,"  because conventional wisdom says that's what you do.  And especially when you are facing as potent an offense as OU.  RIley is a brilliant playcaller and he nearly pantsed Orlando in the fourth.  Hell, he did pants him.

One of our biggest defensive weapons was TOP, and we squandered that in the 4th.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, Slade said:

We were doing fine until the penalties in the 4th, running it down their throat. I only had a problem with a couple of the play calls when we were trying to milk the clock. Last year we lose this game, guys were stepping up and made plays. 

We whipped their ass for the majority of the game, really wish we could have blown them out by 20+. The last time we blew a Dirt Burglar team out from wire to wire was 2005 but fuck it we won (and Murray cried) I'll take it, next game up. 

Penalty wise, t's clear OU told their corner to rape CJ and LJH to make them call the penalty. We should have gone after that more, result notwithstanding. That first jump ball to Collin I yelled do that all day. Having those two out there is one thing but simply throwing to them opens up the running game both for Sam and the RBs. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

I was saying the whole game that we weren't going to keep them out of the endzone, we just have to keep scoring. Low and behold we were doing both. 4th quarter rolls around and the offense was unrecognizable, defense starts getting tired, OU starts clawing back at us. We started to play not to lose rather than playing to win. That's an ingredient is this recipe that has been Texas football. It was like watching us go back out on O and the whole dynamic was, "Now what?". It's OU for fuck's sake. Break their fucking neck when we have the boot heel right there. 

Yep. We were headed to give OU their own Black Saturday. We were up 45-24 and got the ball. Then our offense aborts what has been working and went to try and run clock. It almost spelled disaster. What we did on that last drive to win the game, we could have did on every single one of those drives where we went into a shell. I so wanted to put 60 on those meth Okie fucks. Either way, we got the win!

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't buy into the law of averages stuff in a game like today. 7 of 8 possessions is not some fluke run. There are games when the opposing defense has zero answer. This was one of those games. We did whatever we wanted. We were more physical at every position. 10min is too much time to be worrying about the clock. Just keep doing what you are doing and we get to 60 with ease and Murray becomes irrelevant because there is nothing he can do about our offense scoring.

Now if we are up 21 with say 5min to go, then sure, start running clock. 10min is an eternity in college football, especially with one of the best offenses in the country on the other side.

We were only up because Murray turned it over twice. He doesn't do that and we are likely tied or trailing. I see you point but the shit Herman would have taken from everyone if he didn't use the clock as the advantage it was would have been unrelenting. 

• Like 2

Yeah, we didn't play that good on the 4th but I am just proud of this team for finishing it up with a gamewinner. If they can score at will like this the rest of the season (and I don't think any defense we still have to play is any good), we will learn how to keep these 24 point leads without having a scare. The important thing is that we won. We won a game that nobody picked us to win. Let's celebrate, let's rewatch it tomorrow in lieu of shitty NFL games, and hope that these guys get back to work without any big game hangovers. 

We aren't playing another quarterback like Murray again this season. I definitely think our defense can stop the prolific passing offenses of OSU/TT/WV by making them one dimensional. OU's offense is a different beast. 

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. We were headed to give OU their own Black Saturday. We were up 45-24 and got the ball. Then our offense aborts what has been working and went to try and run clock. It almost spelled disaster. What we did on that last drive to win the game, we could have did on every single one of those drives where we went into a shell. I so wanted to put 60 on those meth Okie fucks. Either way, we got the win!

That's what we were doing the whole fucking game. Why does it take the threat of a potential mythological meltdown for us to realize that playing that way the whole fucking game is what we did when we were dominating and what we need to be doing if we want to dominate again. 

Again, I really, really, really don't want to poopoo this win. I'm just tired of throwing away my boxers after games like this. 

A huge irony is that by going to an "offense" that minimized the opportunity for Sam to make mistakes, we wound up putting him under incredible pressure in that last drive. 

I think I did agree with not throwing to the middle toward the end and in the last drive, even if it stopped the clock at times.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We were only up because Murray turned it over twice. He doesn't do that and we are likely tied or trailing. I see you point but the shit Herman would have taken from everyone if he didn't use the clock as the advantage it was would have been unrelenting. 

But you can still be aggressive and run clock at the same time. By doing what we did all game. Keep driving the ball. You move the chains, run clock. Win/win. It's like in basketball when teams try and start playing to run clock, their offense bogs down and the other team makes a run.

And yes, we had no real answer for their offense either besides those turnovers. Even more reason to keep stepping on their throat for the kill. We had the ball up 21. We go down and score one more time, that's game. 

But we got the win so all is good for me. Just hope he remembers this for next time we are in this position. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Yeah, we didn't play that good on the 4th but I am just proud of this team for finishing it up with a gamewinner. If they can score at will like this the rest of the season (and I don't think any defense we still have to play is any good), we will learn how to keep these 24 point leads without having a scare. The important thing is that we won. We won a game that nobody picked us to win. Let's celebrate, let's rewatch it tomorrow in lieu of shitty NFL games, and hope that these guys get back to work without any big game hangovers. 

We aren't playing another quarterback like Murray again this season. I definitely think our defense can stop the prolific passing offenses of OSU/TT/WV by making them one dimensional. OU's offense is a different beast. 

it's like no one knows there's a Big 12 Championship game this year.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

That's what we were doing the whole fucking game. Why does it take the threat of a potential mythological meltdown for us to realize that playing that way the whole fucking game is what we did when we were dominating and what we need to be doing if we want to dominate again. 

Again, I really, really, really don't want to poopoo this win. I'm just tired of throwing away my boxers after games like this. 

I think this is the correct thread to make these criticisms. Losing today would have been fucking humiliating. I think the second OU scored so quick to cut it to 14, Herman should have scrapped that conservative mentality  and we right back to work on offense. OU today had no answer at all. Their defense is soft as fuck. 

Just now, Tired of Lurking said:

Hoping OU loses again so we don't have to play them in the CCG. Would rather play TCU or WVU twice.

Still have no idea why a round robin conference of 10 has a conference championship game. So fucking dumb if we have to play OU again. We should never ever play OU twice in a season. It would be weird to play them at Jerry World. 

Play calling in the 4th was an abomination. Play calling on 3rd downs was atrocious. We could/should have beat OU by 4-5 TDs.

passing on 3rd and 2 is fucking hilarious. Shovel pass even worse.

we won, but goddamn our offense is a mess. We need a real fucking play caller. And herman needs to pull his head out his ass and quit getting cute. We almost had the worst collapse in school history because herman went full pussy

• Fuck You 9

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Play calling in the 4th was an abomination. Play calling on 3rd downs was atrocious. We could/should have beat OU by 4-5 TDs.

we won, but goddamn our offense is a mess. We need a real fucking play caller. And herman needs to pull his head out his ass and quit getting cute. We almost had the worst collapse in school history because herman went full pussy

Dude go fuck yourself. The playcalling was excellent almost all game long.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

You were a retard on Shaggy and you're still one here. EABOD bitch.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I think this is the correct thread to make these criticisms. Losing today would have been fucking humiliating. I think the second OU scored so quick to cut it to 14, Herman should have scrapped that conservative mentality  and we right back to work on offense. OU today had no answer at all. Their defense is soft as fuck. 

On the flip side, while we're parsing this in this unfortunate thread after a win against OUsux... it's a big decision to allow your sophomore QB who has made some soul crushing TOs, albeit as a freshman, to keep slinging the football around. When the context is we're up by that much against a ranked OU squad. Verge of the biggest win in almost a decade. Defense is playing well. OU looks gassed. And those TOs are in the back of your mind. I can see where the decision to go conservative on offense would manifest. However, we make conservative football look like some form of under water BB stacking competition. 

What bothers me is that we were fucking rolling. Why not roll with it till the clock hits 0s. IF your sophomore QB manages to cough a TO like he did as a freshman, then you deal with it. At the very least the rest of the offense is still feeding off the energy from the last 3 quarters. Snipping the balls, literally and figuratively,  off the offense in the 4th nearly cost us. I hope we learn from that. 

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Dude go fuck yourself. The playcalling was excellent almost all game long.

Yeah, they got conservative at the end, but the holding calls didn't help.  Other than that, the offensive play calling was pretty damn money.  Players made them look good by executing really well. 

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Aw man... we were doing so well and had discourse...

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This was the best game Beck/Herman have called on offense since they have been here. Two or three questionable calls late, but otherwise they were nails. Not sure what game you were watching.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

But why change up? That killed our momentum and damn near cost us the game. Just keep being aggressive. I disagree. You beat OU by doing what we did. Score and score often. We scored on 7 of our first 8 possessions. Doesn't matter what Murray does if we keep scoring on our side. We went into a shell and it went to shit. 

I agree.  The guy behind me was going nuts about us giving up a 21pt lead.  i told him the good news was there wasn't much time left and with it now tied we couldn't keep playing not to lose, we had to go back to playing to win.  

Playing to win got us that far, they really didn't have an answer for what we were doing.  i really was hoping we would just keep stepping on the threat and punching them in the gut until they gave up the way their fans did at the beginning of the 4th exodus.  59 would have been sweet.  We truly dominated them for 3/4 of the game.

All together it was an amazing win.  The defense played great for some of the game, not so great for other parts.  Surprisingly it was the offense that impressed the most today. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, our offense clearly is a delicate thing.  You can't just change "direction,"  because conventional wisdom says that's what you do.  And especially when you are facing as potent an offense as OU.  RIley is a brilliant playcaller and he nearly pantsed Orlando in the fourth.  Hell, he did pants him.

One of our biggest defensive weapons was TOP, and we squandered that in the 4th.

The obvious answer is "don't change until it stops working".  We got clever and almost gave the game away.  I'm thrilled with the victory but not at all thrilled by the fact that we took an offense that was beating the shit out of the Sooners and let up.  That shows a lack of judgement.  I get it, we won, but it shouldn't have been that close.  Regardless, great win, move on.

Running the ball in the fourth doesn't bother me. Running the ball without misdirection like we've been doing all game which OU can't stop, bothers me. And then throwing the ball on the last second down of the game is stupid, when if you run the ball you can send the clock Down to two seconds to kick the fg and kick it with time expiring. We won and I'm happy about that but there wasn't much to appreciate from the coaching circus in the fourth.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Running the ball in the fourth doesn't bother me. Running the ball without misdirection like we've been doing all game which OU can't stop, bothers me. And then throwing the ball on the last second down of the game is stupid, when if you run the ball you can send the clock Down to two seconds to kick the fg and kick it with time expiring. We won and I'm happy about that but there wasn't much to appreciate from the coaching circus in the fourth.

Dont u dare be realistic on here, bitch! We played perfectly! Negged

- surly

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

We had every right to get beat two weeks in a row because Tom keeps applying axioms from other conferences to this one. It’s a far cry from having Indiana 21 down and OU 21 down.  

He needs to learn and grow from this. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Saw this posted elsewhere:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-vs-texas-score-no-19-longhorns-upset-no-7-sooners-arrive-in-big-12-title-race/

Tommy Boy is a very bad front runner, as exhibited today.  He's still got things to prove.

Bahahaha. Icono negged me for this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

This team doesn’t have near the talent it should, especially on the lines, and Tom & Co. are still making it happen (against better personnel in TCU & OU, too).

Sure, play calling when leading was overly aggressive but if it would’ve worked we would’ve dropped 50 or 60 on OU, which we all want badly after years of those fuckers doing that to us under Mack. It backfired, but going for the throat is an acceptable strategy.

Enjoy the win, and let’s see what Herman can continue to do. But stop being little bitches about every little talking point. Herman’s not perfect but this is WAY fucking better than losing to Kansas, botching coin flips, and failing to recruit guys who can kick through the uprights.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 2

I wasn't thrilled with 4th quarter but what lost us the lead is stuff that can be cleaned up. We still haven't played a complete game. Yesterday was almost that after the 1st OU score. The 2nd and 3rd were complete dominations of an opponent. When we finally get all 4 quarters from this team, watch out. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah Herman being conservative is not what caused 21 points to go on the board. Defense must've been bottle popping when the 4th started. 

The whole team let up because they thought it was in the bag. In case you didn’t notice the defense playing two-hand touch in the 4th. That was OU playing hard and us not. Thankfully, we eked it out. Always stay on the gas!

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

The whole team let up because they thought it was in the bag. In case you didn’t notice the defense playing two-hand touch in the 4th. That was OU playing hard and us not. Thankfully, we eked it out. Always stay on the gas!

Yesterday was such a big win, and I didn’t want to piss in everybody’s Cheerios, but watching the defense just flat out quit in the 4th quarter was incredibly frustrating.

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic