Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I can't help it if one or two users prefer to interpret the thread title literally. And to @TwiceHorn's credit, I don't think he is either. Since the USC win, this has essentially defaulted back to the "complain about the head coach" thread. I've voiced my opinion on having a thread about firing a coach where nobody is actually calling for him to be fired, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

No, I'm not yet by any means.  I just still think there is room to be disappointed.  Hope not, but it's still a possibility.  A part of me, an irrational or unexplainable part,  thinks Herman might be the guy.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Herman is the guy 

Maybe.  There's an oft told story in football where a coach comes in, has a rough first year, significantly improves in year two with a lot of close wins (usually landing him a contract extension) and then never quite finds the magic thereafter.  It's rare to find "the guy" just one hire removed from the last guy for most schools, but we could be an exception. 

Vote delete thread. I’ve been critical of Herman’s coachisms and on field results, but I’ve come around. I believe Herman is instilling what we’ve desired for decades - a hard nosed, never quit, not entitled football team. His coachisms now seem real. I believe him when he says they will take it one game at a time. I believe him when he says they are family and play for each other. He was exactly right that the LJH screen was the play of the game. 

Our floor is 9 games this year and we have the upside to be competing for the championship. In year 2...the year well documented here as being the proof that a coach is capable. We may slip up and lose a game we shouldn’t (or should), but I’m no longer selling Herman. He’s our guy. We’re going to be ok.

Fuck the haters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Maybe.  There's an oft told story in football where a coach comes in, has a rough first year, significantly improves in year two with a lot of close wins (usually landing him a contract extension) and then never quite finds the magic thereafter.  It's rare to find "the guy" just one hire removed from the last guy for most schools, but we could be an exception. 

Just please tell us...what can TH do to make you happy with him?

Edited by Spawn of Cthulhu
Alcohol

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Bobby, true character is only complaining when things are going poorly. What you’re doing is getting yourself uninvited to the Surly Company Picnic. 

22 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Just please tell us...what can TH do to make you happy with him?

You picked an interesting quote to make this response to given that it's not about Tom Herman at all, but something that has happened time and again to fanbases thinking they've got the guy after one good season.

20 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Bobby, true character is only complaining when things are going poorly. What you’re doing is getting yourself uninvited to the Surly Company Picnic. 

I imagine a circle jerk at the nearest adult theater or mass suicide event would safely replicate the experience based on the game's outcome on any given Saturday.

2 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Herman is the guy 

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

2 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Delete the fucking thread.

45 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Who’s up for renaming this thread:

The Thread For Miserable Cunts”?

9 minutes ago, RowdyVic said:

For fuck sakes..just enjoy the wins!!

I think we're done here.

If the best you can do is a hypothetical about "if we'd lost, we would want to fire the guy," then you should should probably but down the sword for awhile. Practice saying nice things about something, anything. Watch a comedy. Laugh at yourself once a day for a week.

Texas football is fun at the moment. It's been a long time. It'd be more fun to enjoy the moment than push all your chips into pot with a hand of I-told-you-so.

Let's get back to important stuff like realignment and where VY's next NFL job will be!

Miserable fuckers.

Edited by RomaVicta

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Let's get back to important stuff like realignment and where VY's next NFL job will be!

Miserable fuckers.

We've put this off for far too long. We've spanned eras, fought wars, seen presidents come and go. Our children have grown up before our eyes, and some of them have had children of their own.

We've been graced with the presence of a Magic Man who took us to the Promised Land on that legendary night in the Rose Bowl. We've known heartbreak too -- his name is Gideon. And we've wandered long in the wilderness, pouncing on desert crickets for sustenance and sucking cactus juice to moisten our parched tongues.

It's time.

It's past time.

Now -- we must name the defense. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

No. He's climbing out of the hole he dug himself and his staff after going 0-2 to Maryland with a frustrated fanbase tired of losing. I, and perhaps a lot of fans, are starting to feel better after we lost to Maryland and squeaked it against Tulsa. I'm happy we beat ousux. Not entirely happy how we won in the end. USC is not very good. TCU got beat up on by a top ranked buckeye squad. We nearly coughed it up against ousux who had one of the worst defensive performances in recent memory. Texas has needed to learn how to finish and win for the past decade (let alone win). And we did. For me, complaining about 1 4th quarter after beating a top 10 OU team is better than where we've been by a lot. But there is room for criticism. 

There is room for criticism of this post. A lot of it.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think we're done here.

If the best you can do is a hypothetical about "if we'd lost, we would want to fire the guy," then you should should probably but down the sword for awhile.

If Nick Saban had lost to East Tennessee State, Virginia Commonwealth,  Vandy, and several other schools, he should have been fired.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think we're done here.

If the best you can do is a hypothetical about "if we'd lost, we would want to fire the guy," then you should should probably but down the sword for awhile. Practice saying nice things about something, anything. Watch a comedy. Laugh at yourself once a day for a week.

Texas football is fun at the moment. It's been a long time. It'd be more fun to enjoy the moment than push all your chips into pot with a hand of I-told-you-so.

Miserable fuckers.

Sigh. 

I literally haven’t talked shit about the man since the Tulsa game. 

Ive made one comment about this need to throw “arrogant Tom” back in the faces of people who rightly labeled him so, and it’s a salient one. We’re about five plays from from the same mongoloid lemmings riding Tom out of town on a rail who are now lining up to crown Herman as king and throw turds at anyone who doesn’t need bend the knee immediately.  

Its not taking shots at the man. It doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of our record, win streak or victories over rivals. It doesn’t make me miserable. It doesn’t make me an aggy. It doesn’t indicate that I’m calling for his firing. It wouldn’t be much of anything other than I defended the point from about five posters. 

It does add caution to my optimism, because the outcome of about five plays in the next 6 games will likely determine whether we are conference contenders or just a team that got hot mid season and Is playing no one in another lackluster bowl. 

My point about coaches having great seasons filled with close wins, and then struggling thereafter happens all the time in football. I didn’t say it’s a lock to happen. I didn’t predict that for next year. In fact I think the 2019 offense in particular has a chance to be really good and have said so since this summer. But it could happen and has happened so it adds further caution to my optimism. 

I’ll make another point about my near loss comment and be done. Who here thinks we win the 2009 MNC if Colt doesn’t get hurt?  Every one of you bastards raise your hand. It’s a bigger leap of faith to assume that given that he played 5 snaps, completed one pass for 5 yards and was hurt on a run for essentially no gain, than to look at multiple missed FG’s and dropped TD passes over two games with a 7 and 5 point margin of victory and think “damn, we could have easily lost both”.  And yet every swinging dick here will run with that first assumption like it’s gospel. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This isn't the "celebrate our win over OU" thread.  This is the "fire Tom Herman" thread.  So, the question is, should he be fired?  The answer remains E) Not enough information given.

Yes, we seem to have turned it around from a bad loss at Maryland and a lame victory at Tulsa.  But this one win, as fantastical as it may be, does not get little Tommy Mensa completely out of the termination woods.  The same factors that cost us Maryland and almost cost us the lead in Dallas mean Tommy Boy could still fuck this up, and royally at that.

Herman has not yet learned to coach from a lead or a position of dominance.  He seems to have the underdog thing more or less down.

You are a certifiable fucking idiot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The what if game carries more weight when the possible outcomes involve home losses to Tulsa  instead of road losses to highly ranked teams or MNC’s. 

The larger point that I was making, is, that despite our satisfying record and wins and the rooster routine that goes with it, that we’re damn close to not being where we’re at and a few plays in last games or upcoming ones would put a dent in the shit talking  to others about “arrogant Tom.” 

And a few plays last year and we would have won 10 games.

Shut the fuck up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

There's a difference between missing a WR by 10 yards, and receivers dropping balls that hit them in the hands in the end zone.  We missed some FG's along the way ourselves and left points off the board.  Tulsa, for example missed 3 FG's and dropped 3 TD's if my recollection is correct.  Not passes off the mark or what ifs.  Actual hands on the ball in the end zone and not defended by a Texas DB.  We beat them by a TD, and needed a strong final drive to end the game.  That's not revisionist or questionable.  They lost by 7 and easily left 10 points off the board if you only credit them with converting 1 out of 3 opportunities.

There is no objective, measurable difference between a qb missing an open receiver streaking for a TD, and a receiver dropping a TD.  They’re pretty equatable mistakes in my opinion, both in terms of a player’s failure to execute his job, and how many points it costs a team. They’re also almost identical “what ifs” and I find it pretty ridiculous you suggest they aren’t.

also, for future reference - you leave points on the board, not off the board.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I think it’s unrealistic given that we had 6 regular season wins last year to be expecting a product without big flaws at times.  I wish we were kicking in everyone’s ass too but winning with flaws is not a bad place to be after a .500 regular season last year. 

Improvement is what counts right now and I think we can all agree it’s happening. 

i agree with this sentiment. Texas is improving and is learning how to close out games. this was the biggest issue last year for the program. now having won against teams we were expected to get blown off the ball against, the team is coming together under the banner and starting to reclaim what has been taken from all of us since 2009. none of this is to say that this team is going to win the CFP or even the conference. we have had battered fan syndrome for so long that we all expect the team to fall apart, because that's what has happened for so many years. at this point in the season there is enough data to indicate that the team isn't likely to roll over because they get behind. Texas is fielding a team that can keep everyone on the schedule in front of them and not let one get by them on either side of the ball. its not always perfect, this is the big xii and there are a lot of teams that can put up big numbers in a hurry. Texas is showing they are that kind of team, too. so regardless of whatever happens to close out the season, be happy there is improvement and growth. Rome wasn't built in a day.

"We all have our crosses to bear: I'm rude and arrogant, you're stupid." -  Dick Solomon, played by John Lithgow, in Third Rock From the Sun.

Dang, lotta words the last few pages. I'm guessing the answer to my question turns out to be either "Yes" or "No one gives a shit, as long as we win." 

I believe that sums it up.

As you were, Gentlemen... and Ladies.

3 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Sigh. 

I literally haven’t talked shit about the man since the Tulsa game. 

Ive made one comment about this need to throw “arrogant Tom” back in the faces of people who rightly labeled him so, and it’s a salient one. We’re about five plays from from the same mongoloid lemmings riding Tom out of town on a rail who are now lining up to crown Herman as king and throw turds at anyone who doesn’t need bend the knee immediately.  

Its not taking shots at the man. It doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of our record, win streak or victories over rivals. It doesn’t make me miserable. It doesn’t make me an aggy. It doesn’t indicate that I’m calling for his firing. It wouldn’t be much of anything other than I defended the point from about five posters. 

It does add caution to my optimism, because the outcome of about five plays in the next 6 games will likely determine whether we are conference contenders or just a team that got hot mid season and Is playing no one in another lackluster bowl. 

My point about coaches having great seasons filled with close wins, and then struggling thereafter happens all the time in football. I didn’t say it’s a lock to happen. I didn’t predict that for next year. In fact I think the 2019 offense in particular has a chance to be really good and have said so since this summer. But it could happen and has happened so it adds further caution to my optimism. 

I’ll make another point about my near loss comment and be done. Who here thinks we win the 2009 MNC if Colt doesn’t get hurt?  Every one of you bastards raise your hand. It’s a bigger leap of faith to assume that given that he played 5 snaps, completed one pass for 5 yards and was hurt on a run for essentially no gain, than to look at multiple missed FG’s and dropped TD passes over two games with a 7 and 5 point margin of victory and think “damn, we could have easily lost both”.  And yet every swinging dick here will run with that first assumption like it’s gospel. 

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

I bet you are fun at parties.

There's a party in his head. He is sure he knows what we think about everything and he argues with that illusory opponent. To not agree with him is to bend the knee and toe the line and not be anything but an ignorant sheep. I'm increasingly serious about the post of mine that Batronic quotes.

Or just relish being a contrarian. They do good here and there, too. Just don't harp.

Edited by RomaVicta

13 hours ago, RowdyVic said:

For fuck sakes..just enjoy the wins!!

This is Surly. We got a day of good vibes from an upset win over a highly ranked rival. 24 hours is all you can expect before the “we aren’t perfect” hand wringing starts up again. Little surprised we haven’t turned on Sam again. player of the week awards be damned. He threw behind John Burt once. Inexcusable 

This thread is great.  It demands excellence, couched in emotional fervor, some occasional logic and a lot of batshit insanity.  

Not to mention since the beginning of the modern era of college football only one head coach at the University of Texas has ever walked away from the job voluntarily it will some year be prophetic....but not this year.  

Slap a sticky on it.  

22 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

There's a difference between missing a WR by 10 yards, and receivers dropping balls that hit them in the hands in the end zone.  We missed some FG's along the way ourselves and left points off the board.  Tulsa, for example missed 3 FG's and dropped 3 TD's if my recollection is correct.  Not passes off the mark or what ifs.  Actual hands on the ball in the end zone and not defended by a Texas DB.  We beat them by a TD, and needed a strong final drive to end the game.  That's not revisionist or questionable.  They lost by 7 and easily left 10 points off the board if you only credit them with converting 1 out of 3 opportunities.

By this logic we would have been the moral victory national champs last year

On 10/9/2018 at 7:34 PM, Surly Bevo said:

This thread is great.  It demands excellence, couched in emotional fervor, some occasional logic and a lot of batshit insanity.  

Not to mention since the beginning of the modern era of college football only one head coach at the University of Texas has ever walked away from the job voluntarily it will some year be prophetic....but not this year.  

Slap a sticky on it.  

Which one was that?

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And... you think he left.... voluntarily?  Were you around Austin in 1976?

No I'm not some old fuck...I was 1 (and if the 94 means much it's not like you were real aware of the comings and goings of UT football in 1976).  And yea I know things were hot but he wasn't fired he was just as tired of the bullshit as maybe some of the people around Austin were ready to move on from him.   

Edited by Surly Bevo

46 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Which one was that?

29 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You sit in his stadium when you go to games.

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And... you think he left.... voluntarily?  Were you around Austin in 1976? 

You guys talking Babe Ruth, right?  Yankee stadium.  The house that Ruth built?

No I'm not some old fuck...I was 1 (and if the 94 means much it's not like you were real aware of the comings and goings of UT football in 1976).  And yea I know things were hot but he wasn't fired he was just as tired of the bullshit as maybe some of the people around Austin were ready to move on from him.   
You are a moron.

7 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You are a moron.

Ahh the moron tag from Phlegm....I feel so complete.

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So what if I told you that Texas would lose to Maryland but not only would be 6-1 going into the bye but also would be the sole undefeated Big 12 team.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

But yeah the results are shockingly good even if the progress is ugly.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic