Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

3 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

herman doing the whole hold me back bro,shit cursing on national tv was just plain embarrassing and not a good look. Gundy was the bigger man (yeah, think about that statement) and tried to bail him out saying it was a misunderstanding. CDC has to have a serious conversation with TH. That kid sore loser shit is not acceptable for a man pilling in $5 mil a year and was embarrassing as fuck

I disagree completely. Gundy had no business being at the midfield logo. There is no provision for that in the rules. It was bush league, and Herman reacted accordingly. Either both coaches are penalized in that instance or neither should be.

Herman was just looking after his players. Not surprisingly, Okie State was allowed to operate by a different set of rules, as they were with the fake punt and with the ineligible receiver. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I disagree completely. Gundy had no business being at the midfield logo. There is no provision for that in the rules. It was bush league, and Herman reacted accordingly. Either both coaches are penalized in that instance or neither should be.

Herman was just looking after his players. Not surprisingly, Okie State was allowed to operate by a different set of rules, as they were with the fake punt and with the ineligible receiver. 

yep. Gundy should be fined by the league.  Herman did exactly what I would expect my coach to do. Gundy's bitch ass needs to stay on the sidelines.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

That's actually a good point. He would've been a bitch to go back and start a brawl. Instead he got thrown down and ran away like a real man. 

You miss the point. Up to that point all he did was make a football play out of what is usually a charade. He would have been a sore loser Butch to try and start a fight. Neither he nor Herman should have been flagged. Herman could be flagged if they also flagged Gundy.

Gundy was trying to get his guys back, plus I dont give a fuck what Gundy does, fuck that asshat. Yes he should get a penalty. I do have an issue how Herman jumped around like a little bitch crying and cussing at the refs., while we were about to lose, ala dumbass hagar dancing after missed tackles. Yes, go on the field and protest, dont go apeshit, cussing and all. He was clearly outcoachd by Gundy, if hed put that much effort into getting pissed with getting out coached game may have gone different.
Gundy coulda called herman out for being a twat about screaming and all but he didnt. That was my point. Herman is a petty sore loser, weve seen it before. Dont act like Im making shit up.

Gundy should not have gone on the field but I do believe him when he says he wanted to get guys back and de-escalate the situation. Same for Herman - his reaction was a bad look but I do believe that he was going out to advocate for his players. The root of the issue is the bitch move by Hegar. I don't care how much shit the guy across from you is talking in a victory formation - what he did was unnecessary and bush league. Had he and the rest of his defensive teammates been that invested in the game from the start, OSU wouldn't have had much to say at the end of the game.

2 hours ago, VaHorn said:

I saw nothing that gave me any confidence we would stop them either way. So we one chance. Recovering the kick. A 20% chance to have a chance win. Of course, when we demonstrated that we were not capable of executing an onside kick it became academic.

Kick it deep.  The odds of a defensive stop when one knows the other team is trying to run the clock are quite high - despite the end result last night.  The thing is, a coach is generally going to play more conservatively on his own 25 than the other team's 45.  More than likely, three runs and punt.  On our end of the field, you can make more aggressive play calls.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Gundy was trying to get his guys back, plus I dont give a fuck what Gundy does, fuck that asshat. Yes he should get a penalty. I do have an issue how Herman jumped around like a little bitch crying and cussing at the refs., while we were about to lose

Irrelevant. The officials are supposed to treat both teams and coaches the same way. Herman was reacting to what Gundy did. Had the officials done their job and made Gundy leave the field by penalizing him, Herman wouldn’t have reacted.

Again, for some reason, the officials lost complete control of the game and treated Texas differently than they treated Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State was granted an exemption from the rule book. 

I honestly think Herman gets bored preparing for what he assumes to be inferior opponents, as if he's Kasparov walking to the city park to play checkers with a kid.

That's where the MENSA shit gets him in trouble....he doesn't scheme creatively or adjust quickly when he assumes he can/should roll out of bed and whip someone.

Give him a challenge or make him an underdog and he brings his full compliment of talents to bear.

He needs to grow and mature in that regard if he's taking the next step to being a championship level coach.

PS .....he should have kicked deep as well.

11 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I honestly think Herman gets bored preparing for what he assumes to be inferior opponents, as if he's Kasparov walking to the city park to play checkers with a kid.

That's where the MENSA shit gets him in trouble....he doesn't scheme creatively or adjust quickly when he assumes he can/should roll out of bed and whip someone.

Give him a challenge or make him an underdog and he brings his full compliment of talents to bear.

He needs to grow and mature in that regard if he's taking the next step to being a championship level coach.

I have no idea if you are correct or not. But based on my observations he sure as hell is one emotional type of guy. No way he plays poker. If he does he sucks at it.

From the made for TV looks/expressions he consistently provides television it isn’t very hard to see what is on his mind at any particular moment. The end of the K-State game was classic with the big exhale of relief telling all the world that he was fully aware he just dodged a bullet.

I believe that same emotion serves him well when things go right. But they betray him if they don’t. His reaction was 100% that of a very immature adult who was already worrying/fearing what the fuck he was going to be required or have to say during post game interviews. 

I believe that when he loses it physically hurts him. Not only does he wear it on his sleeve, he is unable to deal with it without using more emotion. He really needs someone close to him to help him get over that before he loses it in a much worse way. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 7:14 PM, Vic Mackey said:

A lot of great coaches are assholes. At any level. But no one gives a shit when you are winning. As long as it isn't Baylor type shit but that's way beyond just being an asshole.

Look at Parcells and Popovich. They were as smug and condescending as you can get. Saban as well. And they list goes on. I'd rather have that than what Charlie Strong brought.

Sometimes the old adage is true, nice guys finish last.

I have no idea if you are correct or not. But based on my observations he sure as hell is one emotional type of guy. No way he plays poker. If he does he sucks at it.
From the made for TV looks/expressions he consistently provides television it isn’t very hard to see what is on his mind at any particular moment. The end of the K-State game was classic with the big exhale of relief telling all the world that he was fully aware he just dodged a bullet.
I believe that same emotion serves him well when things go right. But they betray him if they don’t. His reaction was 100% that of a very immature adult who was already worrying/fearing what the fuck he was going to be required or have to say during post game interviews. 
I believe that when he loses it physically hurts him. Not only does he wear it on his sleeve, he is unable to deal with it without using more emotion. He really needs someone close to him to help him get over that before he loses it in a much worse way. 

Extremely intelligent people can be very emotional, NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Extremely intelligent people can be very emotional, NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!

You know the old saying, it takes one to know one. There is a reason I notice things like that. It pretty much killed my own career.

One of my only regrets in life is not having the good fortune of having someone pull me to the side when I was still a young man and tell me to correct that part of my character.. Who knows, I may have even been able to accomplish my own goals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I agree with getting screwed. Why didn't the clock stop both times we ran out of bounds? 

Clock has to be under 2 minutes in either the 2nd or 4th Qtr for clock to stop when a player goes out of bounds.

"when players go out-of-bounds the clock will start on the referees signal as opposed to starting on the snap of the ball. Except for in the final two minutes of each half when the clock will stop until the snap of the next ball. "

https://deadspin.com/5041480/explaining-the-new-college-football-clock-rules

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Clock has to be under 2 minutes in either the 2nd or 4th Qtr for clock to stop when a player goes out of bounds.

"when players go out-of-bounds the clock will start on the referees signal as opposed to starting on the snap of the ball. Except for in the final two minutes of each half when the clock will stop until the snap of the next ball. "

https://deadspin.com/5041480/explaining-the-new-college-football-clock-rules

lots of people don't know this rule.  mainly because the NFL rule is inside 5 minutes left of 4th quarter

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Irrelevant. The officials are supposed to treat both teams and coaches the same way. Herman was reacting to what Gundy did. Had the officials done their job and made Gundy leave the field by penalizing him, Herman wouldn’t have reacted.

Again, for some reason, the officials lost complete control of the game and treated Texas differently than they treated Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State was granted an exemption from the rule book. 

This.  again, Gundy needs to be fined for coming out past the numbers.  the officials are supposed to control the players during play.  but considering the Big 12 has an absolute shitshow for refs its not surprising what ended up happening.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

lots of people don't know this rule.  mainly because the NFL rule is inside 5 minutes left of 4th quarter

Yeah, but it’s dumb that the NFL stops the clock for more minutes than college does. Particularly since it hasn’t been that long since college stopped the clock until the next snap for all out of bounds plays. 

14 hours ago, TtomTerrific said:

right call or wrong call, just how poorly that onside kick effort was executed cannot be overstated. 

Yes, it’s an onside kick, whose purpose is to not allow for control of the ball after it touches an opponent.

that tap was like a croquet match

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I get that but it really does not matter at all. Herman and his staff did not have this team prepared at all from the opening drive. They scored TDs on two 4th downs. They let their QB school us on the same play over and over. I like passion too but that doesn't always equate results.

Coach Boom, exhibit A

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

If Herman learned one thing last Saturday, I hope it is that just fielding a competitive team isn't enough. Coming up with an "adequate" game plan that should logically provide for a reasonable margin of safety ain't enough. When you're Texas, the refs are after you. The opponents' fans are after you. You've got a giant bullseye painted on your chest at all times.

You can't plan on winning with a FG as the clock expires. You've got to come out from the opening kickoff and grind your opponent's face in the dirt. You have to pound them into sawdust. When the game is over, they need to thank God that they don't have to play Texas again for another year. I'm glad Herman got pissed on Saturday. It's high fucking time. The whole team needs to be pissed for the next five to ten years. We should be beating all these wannabes by Oklahoma type scores - nothing less. And then we should beat Oklahoma the same damn way. This it Texas dammit and it's time to chew bubble gum and kick ass (and we're all out of bubble gum.)

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

This, the onside kick was regarded to even try. Gundy was running 4 plays and not putting when starting from the Horn's 45. 

If he's on his own 25, 3 running plays and he punts. Well, the QB would have still run for 20 yards on 3rd down, but still... 

I thought about that.  The difference is that the QB may not have had the same opportunity to get that yardage if the same scenario was to occur albeit on their own 31.  Orlando's call was influenced by the game situation, the aggressiveness of Gundy, AND the field position.  The defensive play call on OSU's 31 might have been much different than the one on our side of the field. I'm just guessing that the formation was measured against the higher possibility of a pass than it would be on their end of the field - hence, leaving more room to run.  I state that from the standpoint of  knowing little about defensive formations, so I may be off.  

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Dumb point I'm trying to make is that Gundy is probably less aggressive on his side of the field; Orlando was probably less aggressive on our side.

It's a known phenomena that offenses are going to go more conservative in the shadow of their own end zone. A twenty yard tipped pass can turn into first and ten for the Horns at midfield. Game over.

Hadn't thought about it before, but the second part of your comment appears valid as well. The D can gamble just a bit more and use their athleticism to make up for mistakes when they're playing on their opponent's twenty five or so.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 6:39 PM, BurntEyes said:

If I don't agree with you entirely, I do agree with parts of your sentiment, but for different reasons. 

This team has zero killer instinct and doesn't step on throats, at all. We play up or down to the level of competition, EVERY SINGLE TIME. Which looks good again ousux, until you let them run 3 unanswered in the 4th. 

It looks pretty good against TCU, until you realize they are actually a steaming pile of garbage team. 

It looks pretty good against a ranked USC, until you realize they are mediocre at best. 

It looks pretty shitty against Baylor.

It looks really shitty against Tulsa. 

It looks not great against a pretty good coach at KSU until you realize they are absolute shit.

It looks bad against a mediocre at best Maryland with no head coach.

It looks like absolute shit the 8th game of the year against a pretty shitty OSU. 

Texas has beaten exactly 1 good team all fucking year. ONE. And they did their absolute best to try and squander that fucking 21 point lead. 

All of this.

People keep saying that we are improving. Well, our record has, but it’s all relative. We’ve played and beaten only one quality opponent, and we almost gave that one away. The fact that ISU and Tech are not givens tells you all you need to know. I’m not sure why some people can’t admit that USC and TCU may be marquis names having a shitty year.

Our offense is shit. Sam is better because he has another year of experience. Our QB shouldn’t be an average passer and our leading rusher. Our O-Line is crap and our WRs can’t do much if we can’t throw them the ball.

Our defense gets exposed consistently. There are no less than 5, wide fucking open, pass plays we give up to opponents every game. Our missed assignments into double coverage are also embarrassing. Orlando has lost his shine from last year.

Our Special teams continue to be inconsistent. We haven’t had a decent kicker since Fera and our punter is learning as he goes. Why can’t we kick FGs anymore? This used to be our strongest area prior to 2013. 

We are average in every phase of the game. We were just lucky enough to catch our “good on paper” schedule this year at the right time to receive some hype. We aren’t really any better than last year when we weren’t getting blown out in losses either. Our quality of opponents hasn’t been as stout allowing us to be 6-2 rather than 4-4. We could just as easily be 2-6 with losses to Maryland, Tulsa, KSU, ou, Baylor and OSU. (3-5 if you want to get technical with Tulsa) 

I feel better, but it’s smoke and mirrors. Herman still has a lot to prove.

• Like 4

I think Herman is still somewhat shell shocked on how bright the lights really are being at a big program. Oh, I know HE thought he knew. But his body language suggests that only now does he feel the actual weight. Even the small things start adding up at a big school, things that would go totally unnoticed at smaller programs.

if your honest with yourself you have to at least acknowledge that in some ways he is still getting on the job training. It ain’t like he wants to lose. He is just used to every fucking team coming at you at with a very high level of energy. And by contrast he and his team has to match that intensity every single week. Which obviously is difficult.

Satuday was a perfect example. Every single one of the Texas players were fully aware of how OSU struggled this season prior to the game. Only to find out that regardless of their record they came out jacked up, at home, during homecoming and fully ready to play. They didn’t care about the prior weeks, only the task at hand. Texas was not able to match that intensity. By the time they did they were down 17.

• Like 1

The offense is much better this year.  Much better.  If you can't see that you are either in denial or a dumbass.

Why is it better?  We have two tackles who can protect.  We have a QB who makes good decision and, yes, is more accurate that he was last year.  We have a slippery RB.  Our WR's are more clutch.

Again, you are a fucking moron if you don't see that our offense is vastly improved.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:48 PM, 903Cougar said:

This seems to be a tendency of Herman's.  If you look at his 2016 season with Houston, he had  5 games where his teams showed up flat and ill-prepared against teams they were favored to beat, with 4 of those being losses  And that was with a loaded and experienced 2-deep.  

This has been my concern since he was hired.  It's still my concern.

On 10/30/2018 at 5:56 AM, Barry_McCokiner said:

Pretty easy to spot the charlie ride or die guys in this thread.  No, not the time to fire herman

Not a Charlie guy at all here , and it's definitely not time to Fire Herman.  With the exception to the start of this year, this has mostly been the "bitch about/critique Herman" thread.

I'm a bit torn.  We're better than we have been in quite some time, but that's mainly because we've been shitty for so long.  We are improving, but on the field we look pretty average.  Some bright spots, some shit stains.  I guess we'll see how it all plays out over the next few years.    

On 10/28/2018 at 8:13 AM, Dbeasy said:

After sleeping off the whisky, here is what isn’t adding up for me.

It is obvious that the staff prepares special game plans and schemes for top games. Great, it’s how Herman is working his magic and gives us all hope for the future.

The concern isn’t last night’s game. Of course shit happens every week in college football. Purdue just destroyed Ohio State. TCU just lost to Kansas. If that is all you see, then you are missing the issue. The problem is the consistently poor play against many or most inferior teams: Maryland, Tulsa, Kansas St, etc.

You can say that we don’t yet have the talent to be consistently good, but to consistently under-perform against teams that clearly have inferior talent is what’s puzzling. If Herman is such a great X and O guy, then he shouldn’t ever be getting out coached. So what really is happening?

I’m not saying we have the wrong coach. I’m questioning what is wrong. Here are the reasons I can think of that are legitimate:

1. Under preparation - the staff actually dogs it during weeks against lesser teams. Why? They are either lazy, unfocused or purposely trying to save too much for big games.

2. Attitudes - everyone on the team dogs it during prep for lesser opponents because they are idiots.

3. Line and LB Gaps - while we have great talent at many positions, like WR, DB we are actually really really weak talent-wise on the lines and at some of the LB positions. In my opinion, this is true and explains part of the reason, but not all, for why we play down to weaker teams.

4. Schemes - OU and other teams that have great offensive schemes will blow out inferior opponents. Teams that run okay but not great offensives schemes will lose one or two games per year against inferior opponents due to the “shit happens” factor every year. Jim Tressel’s teams used to do that a lot. During Mack Brown’s great run, he got really lucky a lot in close games. A lot.

Similarly, there might be be an issue with our defensive scheme that causes inconsistent play against inferior talent, but I can’t see why that would be the case.

Herman has a solid excuse for #3, but not for any of the others. So, when do we stop sucking against the Maryland’s of the world? Next year?

it's the difference between coaching to a standard vs coaching to beat the other team.  if you coach to a standard you're always prepared to play your best.  if you're playing to beat the other team you do just enough to get by.  mack used to coach to a standard (other than every 2nd saturday in october, he was psychologically scarred).  saban coaches to a standard.  not just in football, but in all sports, and in all aspects of every career, people who coach/prepare to a standard are rare.  look at the male tennis players vs female tennis players.  you have several on the male side who play to a standard.  none on the female side.  coaching to a standard isn't a guarantee of success as measured by wins/losses, but it guarantees you're going to do your best and maximize your assets. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

it's the difference between coaching to a standard vs coaching to beat the other team.  if you coach to a standard you're always prepared to play your best.  if you're playing to beat the other team you do just enough to get by.  mack used to coach to a standard (other than every 2nd saturday in october, he was psychologically scarred).  saban coaches to a standard.  not just in football, but in all sports, and in all aspects of every career, people who coach/prepare to a standard are rare.  look at the male tennis players vs female tennis players.  you have several on the male side who play to a standard.  none on the female side.  coaching to a standard isn't a guarantee of success as measured by wins/losses, but it guarantees you're going to do your best and maximize your assets. 

You realize Saban is the only coach in college football in this class and even he loses games, coaching to a standard doesn't maximize anything and you just proved that by saying it doesn't guarantee you are going to play your best.

Urban Meyer: 17-6 (73%) at Bowling Green; 22-2 (91.6%)

Tom Herman: 22-4 (84.6%) at Houston

Nick Saban's first 12 seasons as a college HC amounted to 2 double digit win seasons, one of those being a 13-1 season at LSU the year they won the national title in 2004, his 11th season as a HC.

Mark Dantonio is 105-48 at a place Nick Saban was 34-24-1. Is Mark Dantonio a better coach than Nick Saban? No, you can make the case that what Dantonio does with the talent he has is 2nd to none.

Alabama found a key that fit the lock perfectly, and Saban capitalized on everything Alabama had to offer and then some but people act like he came out the womb the greatest HC of all time. There were tons of people who wondered why LSU even hired him away from Michigan State.

People act like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are Teflon. We don't have the talent to do what Nick Saban is doing, Nick Saban is not only a good coach but he has the talent to just plug and play with no drop off which is something the college game really hasn't seen since the 2005 Texas/USC teams.

There is no such thing as coaching to a standard, you are either great or you aren't, it is human nature to consciously or subconsciously know who you are playing. You simply have teams that come along every once in a while that are just so damn good that it doesn't matter, doesn't matter how hard the other team tries, they are going to get pulverized. In 2004 we beat Kansas 27-23 and needed two scores late in the 4th quarter. The only time we ever kicked ass and took names under Mack was 2005 and that year we were down 28-12 to OKST at halftime before coming to life in the 2nd half and winning 49-28. Expecting your players to ignore and not see the difference in playing Kansas and Oklahoma, just doesn't make sense, everybody realizes the difference between playing Kansas and playing Oklahoma.

Even Nick Saban in all his glory has only finished one season undefeated at Alabama, and that is the only season in his coaching career that he has not lost a game, this year may be his 2nd.

Edited by Texas25
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

There is no such thing as coaching to a standard, you are either great or you aren't, it is human nature to consciously or subconsciously know who you are playing.

we all know people with great talent who never reach their potential because they don't know how to get there.  in sports alone, usain bolt, one of the greatest short distance sprinters ever-  was not as great as he could have been because he didn't work and perform to a standard.  same with serena.  she is without a doubt the most talented female ever but she could have been better.  how talented is she?  she's so talented she will still go down as probably the GOAT without giving tennis her full attention throughout her career.  mj23 is the other side of that-  great talent and the GOAT because he worked hard to better himself every practice, every scrimmage, and every game.  didn't matter if he was playing the 98 jazz or the 98 nuggets, he pushed himself every time.  

you don't become GREAT by simply possessing great talent.  you gotta work at it and you have to be consistent.  

12 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

You realize Saban is the only coach in college football in this class and even he loses games, coaching to a standard doesn't maximize anything and you just proved that by saying it doesn't guarantee you are going to play your best.

i said the opposite of that.  

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

The offense is much better this year.  Much better.  If you can't see that you are either in denial or a dumbass.

Why is it better?  We have two tackles who can protect.  We have a QB who makes good decision and, yes, is more accurate that he was last year.  We have a slippery RB.  Our WR's are more clutch.

Again, you are a fucking moron if you don't see that our offense is vastly improved.

And you're basing this on what? The stats don't lie and they certainly don't support your argument. Further, it's impossible to compare these equally as the opponents and players change from year to year. We lost to an 11-3 USC squad on the road in double OT last year. We beat a 4-4 USC team with relative ease at home this year. We got crushed by a 11-3 TCU tam last year on the road. We spanked a 3-5 TCU team this year at home. 

Is it a result of our offense getting better or facing a diminished opponent at home? 

19 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i said the opposite of that.  

Ok you said it doesn't guarantee wins and losses. Did Alabama play to a standard against Auburn last year? What about Ole Miss in 2015 when they turned the ball over. You can not play your best and lose to an inferior team. You just tried to craft a statement that doesn't make any sense by by getting into semantics. Explain to me how Alabama plays to their best, plays to their own standard and loses to Vanderbilt? As it pertains to Alabama, their standard and their best should be good enough to beat anybody should it not?

Now Alabama can play their best and possibly lose to a Clemson team that also plays their best, but I would even argue that. So out of curiosity what do you exactly mean when you say Saban coaches to a standard?

12 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

And you're basing this on what? The stats don't lie and they certainly don't support your argument. Further, it's impossible to compare these equally as the opponents and players change from year to year. We lost to an 11-3 USC squad on the road in double OT last year. We beat a 4-4 USC team with relative ease at home this year. We got crushed by a 11-3 TCU tam last year on the road. We spanked a 3-5 TCU team this year at home. 

Is it a result of our offense getting better or facing a diminished opponent at home? 

Alright twink toes, name me a coach and I'll go find you a bunch of lack luster performances and losses to inferior opponents. The almighty Saban lost to ULM his 1st season at Alabama.

I often wonder what becomes of the Saban legend if Texas wins in 2010.

Make no mistake the Mack rot was still going to fuck us but always curious as to what happens if he takes a Big 12 woodshedding like many think might have happened if Colt doesn’t get hurt (to be clear I’m not convinced he does and arguing about that is not what this is about)

16 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I often wonder what becomes of the Saban legend if Texas wins in 2010.

Make no mistake the Mack rot was still going to fuck us but always curious as to what happens if he takes a Big 12 woodshedding like many think might have happened if Colt doesn’t get hurt (to be clear I’m not convinced he does and arguing about that is not what this is about)

There are 2 national titles that Saban should not even have been apart of, much less won. 2011 and 2017. But they play by their own set of rules set up by ESPN so they get to benefit.

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Don't need to go find one. 

The subject of the thread works pretty well and looks pretty similar to Texas this year. 

Houston 33 #5 OU 23

SMU 38 UH 16

Memphis 48 UH 44

UH 36 #16 UL 10

Weird huh?

I was all in on the Herman hire and still think it will work out as he's a young coach still trying to find his way. But this definitely concerns me as this has been carried over from Houston to Texas. The letdown games against inferior opponents. And no matter how many tried to spin it with Okla St being at home and Gundy being great in those games, etc. Oklahoma St is inferior to Texas this season. They are inconsistent as fuck. And we laid a fat egg. Same as what his teams did in Houston. They always say the mark of a good team is you handle up on the opponents you are supposed to beat. So far we have not did that this season. Okla St and Maryland should in no way be losses, on the road or not.

I am pretty confident we are going to play great against WVU this week. But then how will we follow that up against Iowa St, KU and Tech? All teams we are better than.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Don't need to go find one. 

The subject of the thread works pretty well and looks pretty similar to Texas this year. 

Houston 33 #5 OU 23

SMU 38 UH 16

Memphis 48 UH 44

UH 36 #16 UL 10

Weird huh?

The point is you're a dumb ass, you're criticizing him for something that every coach is victim to, EVERY coach. Congrats, you figured out the sky is blue

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

35 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Well, if it doesn't work out with Tom, there's always Bobby:

Petrino was a name that came up pretty often in year one of the Fire Charlie thread, albeit with the caveat that we would never hire such a reprobate. Fedora was tossed in there by some as a dark horse pick too. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Mack with very few exceptions beat the teams he was supposed to beat.

This is going to be interesting if we end seasons on the reg with the wins over the teams Mack normally laid an egg against and yet slip up to inferior competition.

1998: Lost to a 7-5 Texas Tech team, if he wins that game Texas is South champs and playing for a conference title.

1999: Lost to a 6-6 NC State to start the season, was a shit show on par with our losses to Maryland

2000: Lost to a 5-6 Stanford

2001: Lost to Colorado in the Big 12 championship game and although Colorado was decent that year, we beat them 41-7 in regular season and had no business losing to them in a rematch.

2002: Lost to Texas Tech, win the game and we would have won the South and played for a Big 12 title

2003: Lost to an unranked Arkansas team at home, Arkansas went on to finish 9-4 but had no business losing to them at home.

2006: Lost to Kansas State (7-6) (Colt got hurt) and Texas A&M (9-4) to choke away yet another opportunity to play for a Big 12 title.

2007: Lost to Kansas State (5-7) and A&M (7-6) again.

Not even going to worry about 2010-2013 because it was a joke.

Mack pretty much mastered the art of finding ways to choke South division titles away to OU. 3 times in Mack's tenure Tech pretty much cost us a shot to play for a Big 12 title.

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

No, what I am criticizing is the fact that he continues to do it, despite location, tenure or talent of his teams. 

There are plenty of threads to slob on Herman's knob. THis isn't the one and you are approaching trolling levels of posts in here. 

I'm trolling... I'm trolling? Dude you are saying we are going to lose to Kansas.

You are stating the obvious captain fucking obvious. Thank you for in fact informing all of us that the sky is in fact blue. I had no idea.

There are plenty of forums on this board to act like a dumb ass, this isn't one of them.

Urban Meyer continues to lose to inferior opponents and he has 3 national titles, I think he'll live. It happens to every coach sweet cheeks, you aren't making any ground breaking observations.

Edited by Texas25
  • Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic