Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

the only games that would be "acceptable" to lose the rest of the way are ou and wvu.  i think we can take both games.  i wouldn't be overly pissed if we showed up and got beat.  herman is known to lose a game that we have no business losing.  hoping that doesn't happen.

I would've said a loss at Okie State might fall into the "acceptable" category.  But after watching Tech abuse the Cowboys in Stillwater, and the way the Horns have played the last two games, I'm reconsidering.

7 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I was definitely in the Fire Herman in 3 years camp because how unmotivated we looked in games 1 and 2, plus his pompous pressers. Hope he’s starting to turn the corner. Beck will need to be demoted at the end of the season though.

Good wins vs USC and TCU. Now, gotta keep building the confidence with wins. Young team so I expect a tough K-State game next week. We need to keep the momentum going into the Red River Shootout.

Does anyone else think that he already has been demoted? Herman seems much more involved on the headset than he was in weeks 1 and 2, and the results on the field speak for themselves.

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas failed to capitalize as well, it's what happens when you play very good defenses. Texas lead for the majority of the game, and salted the game away with a 6 minute drive that put them up 2 scores in the 4Q.

Texas wasn't unnecessarily conservative. They should protect the offense with the defense, because they have a great one that is full of experienced upperclassmen and a once in a generation true freshmen safety. The OL is starting to gel, but it's still average talent-wise across the board. The QB just started his 10th game. The best RB is hurt, though it appears the WRs have turned a big corner and are becoming more consistent especially their downfield blocking.

You are also including the drive where Texas took a knee before half in your analysis, lulz.

Great write-up.  Fatterson concurs...

TCU’s Gary Patterson on Texas: “They’re doing what they need to do on offense to win ballgames, and they're letting their defense win the ballgame for them. It's a good game plan. We know that game plan very well.”

24 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Didn't you get Herman's memo, bruh?  Momentum is an illusion.

I fucking hated that because it couldn't be further from the truth. The idea is to get the players to focus on their job and ignore the negative or positive "vibes" I guess.

Anyway, the one game seasons thing kinda makes sense, but damn saying every single play happens in it's own bubble is just goofy. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Does anyone else think that he already has been demoted? Herman seems much more involved on the headset than he was in weeks 1 and 2, and the results on the field speak for themselves.

Yeah, maybe Hand is taking lead in their collaboration. Whatever it is, the play calling feels different 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

the only games that would be "acceptable" to lose the rest of the way are ou and wvu.  i think we can take both games.  i wouldn't be overly pissed if we showed up and got beat.  herman is known to lose a game that we have no business losing.  hoping that doesn't happen.

maryland.  got it out of the way early.

Edited by BigOrange1

The running game is still a mystery.  The line absolutely looks better than last year.  It seems the speed of the hand-off / decision to keep in the QB option has improved slightly over the past couple games, and there have been more North - South run calls.  I think our use of personnel and formations, and playcalling tendencies in specific scenarios (like when we have a lead) is VERY predictable with the run plays at times, but every team faces situations when running is the best choice and the other team knows it.  It would be interesting to occasionally see a few plays with 2 backs in the backfield or Sam under center, even when it's a pass or designed QB run, just to keep the defense guessing.  I think there are times when our personnel, formation, and/or lack of motion absolutely reduce the complexity for the opposing defense to think and narrow down what they need to defend and worry about.

I am curious as to our pass -vs- run % breakdown when we lead versus when we are behind, as it feels like we abandon the run quickly when we fall behind, even when we are averaging 4+ yards a carry.

All in all, the past two games have been encouraging in that the offense seems to be improving.  OU is the final exam/big test, and unfortunately that comes before the 1/2 point... after basically West Virginia the biggest threat after OU will be overconfidence.  We are at the point in the schedule where anything less than 9 wins would be a significant let down

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Tech in Lubbock will be tough.  

4 hours ago, Zavala said:

I fucking hated that because it couldn't be further from the truth. The idea is to get the players to focus on their job and ignore the negative or positive "vibes" I guess.

Anyway, the one game seasons thing kinda makes sense, but damn saying every single play happens in it's own bubble is just goofy. 

People need to quit listening to what Herman says publicly. It is 100% irrelevant. He plays mind games with what he tells the press, yet people bitch and bitch about it. How that's not obvious to everyone is beyond me.  

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure what people want him to say after a loss that would make them feel better.  Can't say "we didn't execute" or else people would be whining that he's throwing the players under the bus.  I don't think you want to fall on the sword as the coaching staff because it might make the kids lose confidence?  Who knows.  Maybe Charlie's response "we're going to get this fixed."  Benign, acceptable but says nothing.  

His message to the players is they are family.  Don't listen to what anyone says outside of the program.  Pick each other up.  

Maybe "they're trying to hard" is acceptable.  It's benign but says nothing.  The important thing is not what he says but what they do and for the last 2 weeks, they've walked the walk and then some.

Thats what Ive been saying all along. He can be the biggest asshole on the planet. Idgaf as long as hes winning and/or playing tough with no stupid mistakes. Start losing and shittin his pants on natl tv, better eat some humble pie cause the asshole schtick aint gonna work.

Fucker gets paid $5 mil to win. Plain and simple

Maybe we get a few calls after that BULLSHIT last week, and also get a few bounces. Please God call fucking holding on blowU when it's obvious. We will kill that little midget if we aren't being held the whole fucking game. The blitzes are just too sweet.

Also, if we win, Tom better put on the hat and point his finger at people. Need those Kodak moments.

charlie-strong.png

Edited by Zavala

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, Revolution512 said:

TCU failed to capitalize on their chances. 

So let me get this straight.....if we fail to capitalize on our chances.....we suck.  If TCU fails to capitalize on their chances....we suck.  Amirite?    Geez people.

Here's why this thread is not stupid in context:

1. Maryland was a terrible loss. Worse than Mack's NC State kids but not as bad as Charlie's Kansas loss.

2. Tulsa was a dog fight against dog shit.

3. USC was a decent win made possible entirely by the refs sucking up that safety call. 

4. TCU was a solid win that required some lucky breaks. Credit where it is due though, both sides of the ball had a credible game plan with solid execution (for the most part).

In summary the trend is promising but does not render the real time reactions null. The trend is also based on limited data making the confidence in any conclusions drawn low at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

1. Maryland was a terrible loss. Worse than Mack's NC State kids but not as bad as Charlie's Kansas loss.

3. USC was a decent win made possible entirely by the refs sucking up that safety call. 

4. TCU was a solid win that required some lucky breaks. Credit where it is due though, both sides of the ball had a credible game plan with solid execution (for the most part).

In summary the trend is promising but does not render the real time reactions null. The trend is also based on limited data making the confidence in any conclusions drawn low at this point.

I don’t think anyone can for sure say how good we are. We could be on the brink of something special or we could bungle the opportunity like so many times before. This game will tell us a lot. 

11 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Your confidence in your opinion seems to insist upon itself.

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

I have no problems having a thread complaining about the coaching, there's plenty to criticize.

I just don't understand why it has to be "fire the coach".

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I have no problems having a thread complaining about the coaching, there's plenty to criticize.

I just don't understand why it has to be "fire the coach".

Then the site should just change it's name to 'Sullen Horn', right? I will be somewhat disappointed if the first botched play we have against OU while the game was still in doubt doesn't cause this thread to rocket to the top of the heap.

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

You sound like a bitch. Stop crying. Your husband will be home from work soon. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic