Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Vindication tonight for Tom Herman and our football players tonight. One of the most enjoyable victories that I was able to experience in person. I AM A HERMANITE AND  BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM.

FUCK THE FOLLOWING HATERS:

SubliminalHorn, 6th Street, Greenspoint, mdmost, Vic and other haters. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Vindication tonight for Tom Herman and our football players tonight. One of the most enjoyable victories that I was able to experience in person. I AM A HERMANITE AND  BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM.

There's a list on the mensa train poll. Voting ended day before this game. 

Hey, this was a convincing win against a once storied program ( like us unfortunately), but it does not completely wash away the grime of the Maryland and Tulsa games. This is, at most, a beacon of hope that all is not most. Unfortunately, we have to wait out the rest of the season. I like a lot of what we saw today, but forgive me if I’m still apprehensive.

4 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

Hey, this was a convincing win against a once storied program ( like us unfortunately), but it does not completely wash away the grime of the Maryland and Tulsa games. This is, at most, a beacon of hope that all is not most. Unfortunately, we have to wait out the rest of the season. I like a lot of what we saw today, but forgive me if I’m still apprehensive.

I don't think there is anyone that says this one win puts us back on the track we thought we'd be on before the season started ("show me a loss").  It's just a win that shows improvement is possible.

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

We've been through this before.  Right now we are 2-10.  Charlie beat Domer and lost to Kansas.

Parcells.

Right now we are 2-10, until we're not.

The goal line stand was great.

We got home cooking, for once, on the non-safety.

Then the running in to the kicker to get out of the endzone yet again.

It was amazing to get some luck and have another team crater instead of us.

But anyone starts strutting, just remember the last 9 seasons.

We're 2-10 until we're not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimbaround said:

We should all be apprehensive. We should also recognize progress. People here seem to enjoy bitching more than anything. It’s a Texas tradition  

No one wants to see us win more than I do. I’ve been throwing good money after bad for years supporting this program without even a kiss for the fucking I’ve taken with my season tickets. But we have made progress this season from the unexpected, unacceptable loss at Maryland, to the ugly win against Tulsa, to a big win tonight that still had a lot of ugly in it.

If we progress every game, we can become a pretty good football team. A confident football team, which is something we haven’t been since 2009. 9 ball-kicking years.

I don’t want to put the cart before the horse because we’ve got several tough games in our immediate future, but they’re all winnable. TCU isn’t a world-beater. Iowa State showed that OU isn’t 40 points better than everyone else. It’s so cliche, but if our guys take one game at a time and fix the ugly from one game before they play the next, good things will happen.

Dammit, I’m tired of soul-crushing losses!

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

Actually after rewatching the game my biggest fear going forward is on the defensive side of the ball. Why SC didn’t go after that huge soft spot in the center of our zone was incredibly stupid. This has been an open area in all three games.

Maryland took advantage of it, as did Tulsa. It is almost like SC didn’t watch film? I can’t help but think Orlando’s strategy is feeling that the opposing team doesn’t have the patience to simply take the 5 or 6 yards we are willing to give and move the chains?

Nice win by the kids, they played hard and came to play. Hopefully the coaches stay the fuck out of the way of themselves. Herman is on a week to week contract for me. I want to see real player development as the season plays out before I feel we have the right leadership. QB situation is going to hold this team back.

Last night was the type of win I wanted to see this year from Tom Herman. Not because it was a blowout win, but because we toughed out a big win against a marquee opponent using in-game adjustments and a variety of tactics and personnel to do the job. The coaches and players both deserve praise for this one.

Some are saying that USC was overrated and an easy opponent. Well, maybe. But Tulsa and Maryland aren't very good either. So we improved.

I soured on Charlie early and wanted him gone in year 2. The names of your players (calling Ash 'Cash', forgetting Swoopes' name, mixing up Malcom and Malcolm Brown) and the type of offense your team is practicing all offseason seemed pretty basic things for a coach to know. I gave him a pass for the lack of talent on the team, but the man was clearly out of his depth or too tuned out to be the guy we needed.

Some guys have soured on Herman and already want him gone. Last year I gave Tom a pass because our OL was the worst thing ever, and it wasn't his fault. We made improvements in other areas. This year I lost hope quickly after Maryland and Tulsa. Our OL is better (only way to go was up) but our D was worse and our offense wasn't showing the progression I wanted to see.

After last night, I'm back in the give him a chance crowd. It was a good win. I want more of them. Tom earned some slack.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

The win was definitely nice and earned by the players. The coaching was still atrocious the whole game, players decided to start playing for some reason in the 2nd half though. 

Still would like to see Shane sling a few balls.

thought you were talking about they aggy game until the Shane comment. not sure what game you were watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

thought you were talking about they aggy game until the Shane comment. not sure what game you were watching.

Very odd comment from the Aggy. Shane should not have sniffed this game, and the coaching wasn’t atrocious after Orlando unfucked his D and they in turn shut SC down. 

Very satisfying win and effort. We could have easily gotten swallowed up down two scores early but did not. Players, especially on the offensive and defensive line got better as the game went on. Watch Hager CO abuse their right tackle in the fourth quarter. Watch Vahe and Kerstetter destroy guys late in the game. We actually got better as the game went on in the trenches. 

USC was a comedy of errors but there was some progress. Our offensive game plan and defensive strategy are still something that makes me yearn for the strategic genius that is Greg Davis but it was better. 

Felt very good to get a win. 

USC is complete garbage. This thread will be quite popular after TCU and Gary Patterson perform their annual evisceration next Saturday. 
Yeah USC is garbage and we did to a garbage team what we are supposed to do to a garbage team, mudholed em. Keep it up. Ps TCU can be had. Do it. Remember the cockroach game!

8 hours ago, miguelito said:

It would be nice to limit the drive-starting delay of game penalties to 0.

A holdover from the Mackovic era.  Wasn't the very first offensive  play of his UT tenure against Mississippi State flagged for delay of game?  

When that happens things are too complicated. 

The win was definitely nice and earned by the players. The coaching was still atrocious the whole game, players decided to start playing for some reason in the 2nd half though. 

The in-game thread had a post by someone saying they had been told Shane is grad-transferring in December.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The in-game thread had a post by someone saying they had been told Shane is grad-transferring in December.

It's more than likely BS, but makes a lot of sense.  Maybe Herman and Shane have an agreement that he'll be released to go wherever and try to preserve his RS this year in exchange for being here for a year as backup.

8 hours ago, immamac said:

The coaching ranged from fine - great, particularly on the defensive side, which is all about coaching. And our offense was as good as it's been this year, getting out to a lead and then just punishing USC with the run game to run out the clock. They weren't perfect, and there's still room to improve, but the coaching was far from atrocious.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Here's how many offensive points Maryland scored yesterday against previously 0-2 AAC powerhouse Temple:  0

They had three of their senior linemen out of the game. The same linemen that have whipped our D's ass three years in a row. 

Turns out that shit matters. 

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic