Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

Intradesting stat find of the week.

Only the Niners and Tampa Bay defenses have fewer interceptions than the Cowboys 4.

Vander Esch has half of them.  The other two are one each by Heath and Xavier Woods.

Vander Esch is also second on the team in Passes Defensed, with 6, to 10 for Byron Jones.

No Cowboys CBs have a pick.

1 hour ago, SurlyBDR said:

LOL WUT

They wouldn't win, but yeah I get what he's saying.

How may possessions did both teams get yesterday?  They wouldn't get that many against Dallas, and not just because of this defense, but because the offense is tailor made to keep the ball away from them.  They'd get 5-6, and probably some short ones before each half ended, complete possessions, so the most they could do is score 35(still enough to win the game by 10 probably).

Dallas wouldn't get in a track meet like that game last night.  I'd suspect the game would be akin to 31-24 or something like that.

Edited by Drew

Only the Niners and Tampa Bay defenses have fewer interceptions than the Cowboys 4.
Vander Esch has half of them.  The other two are one each by Heath and Xavier Woods.
Vander Esch is also second on the team in Passes Defensed, with 6, to 10 for Byron Jones.
Our secondary has no playmakers. Or the scheme is junk.

I’d love to see more turnovers, but we are 3rd in the league in scoring defense. It’s not their fault we aren’t winning games.

and there is no way I’m complaining about the secondary this year after what I’ve seen past years back there.

Edited by taybo20

1 hour ago, SurlyBDR said:

Are you suggesting that the clapper and co would actually stick to what works to beat a team like that?

I admire your optimism, sir

I never said they'd beat them.  I just said they probably wouldn't score 50.  Or most likely not 40 either.

I would love to have an offense like that, but obviously we don't.

Are you suggesting that the clapper and co would actually stick to what works to beat a team like that?
I admire your optimism, sir
They would until it mattered like the packer game when we threw pass on 2nd down and stopped the clock at the 3 yardline then rodgers/pack goes score gw points with a minute left
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DougO said:

Stats really support our scouting report.  Our CBs don't really have ball skills.  Both are usually in good position but they lack ball reco and dexterity skills to go and get the ball.  Our safeties are simply poor vs the pass.  Better against the run.  Woods was somewhat of a ballhawk in college and is young so I'm hoping in years 3, 4, and 5 he'll initiate more turnovers as he gets experience and reps.  Heath is..... Heath.  They tend to be in the right spots more than average and they've really limited the big play.  Richard has done a very good job with them but you get the idea he'd really like a healthy Earl Thomas and one more slot corner.

As far as being the buggy whip team in a modern car world, we'll see how we do when we host the Saints.  I have a feeling I know, and it probably won't be pretty (see how Washington did vs the Saints) but those two teams (Chiefs and Rams) play at a blistering pace beyond being eons ahead of us in offensive creativity and modernness.  Dallas plods along at amongst the slowest paces in the league.  We're a slow, antiquated team.  Can that type of team still win in today's NFL?  Probably but the margin for error continues to get smaller and smaller and the rule changes continue to help offenses and specifically passing attacks...

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

As far as being the buggy whip team in a modern car world, we'll see how we do when we host the Saints.  I have a feeling I know, and it probably won't be pretty (see how Washington did vs the Saints) but those two teams (Chiefs and Rams) play at a blistering pace beyond being eons ahead of us in offensive creativity and modernness.  Dallas plods along at amongst the slowest paces in the league.  We're a slow, antiquated team.  Can that type of team still win in today's NFL?  Probably but the margin for error continues to get smaller and smaller and the rule changes continue to help offenses and specifically passing attacks...

I was thinking this morning it's like in college when a spread offense suddenly encounter the wishbone and they don't have any fucking idea whats going on. Until halftime when the coaches explain who to hit

I was thinking this morning it's like in college when a spread offense suddenly encounter the wishbone and they don't have any fucking idea whats going on. Until halftime when the coaches explain who to hit

It takes a while to get a spread offense to play effective defense against any offense, especially something like the wishbone

It's interesting that the Cowboys defense is ranked well in yards allowed, but they are fourth worst in percentage of third downs converted.

They are also sixth best in first downs given up, ninth best in yards per play, third best in points per game/ total points allowed. They have the ninth fewest defensive plays from scrimmage.

You would think that TOP is doing a lot of the work, but they are 19th in TOP at 30:29 minutes per game. The Cowboys also have the ninth fewest plays from scrimmage on offense. Seems like the plan is the play a slowass game and bore the other team to death.

Edited by DougO

Yeah havent been able to get off the field much on 3rd down...probably combo of bad playcalls and not much pressure.

If its 3rd and less than 6 im pretty sure the cowboys will give up the first....from memory mist stops seem to be after we get a early negative play and its 3rd and 12...

9 hours ago, DougO said:

It's interesting that the Cowboys defense is ranked well in yards allowed, but they are fourth worst in percentage of third downs converted.

They are also sixth best in first downs given up, ninth best in yards per play, third best in points per game/ total points allowed. They have the ninth fewest defensive plays from scrimmage.

You would think that TOP is doing a lot of the work, but they are 19th in TOP at 30:29 minutes per game. The Cowboys also have the ninth fewest plays from scrimmage on offense. Seems like the plan is the play a slowass game and bore the other team to death.

Garrett claps so much, and so loud, that he deafens them to death 

On 11/19/2018 at 10:17 PM, DougO said:

The DougO curse results in a pick by a Cowboys cornerback.

You're welcome, Cowboys fans.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

So Amari for a 1 isn’t looking as bad as it was 4 weeks ago

I didn't think it was smart, but never thought it was some massive overpay(I did think they could get him for a 2nd or so).  There are no QB's or WR's coming out worthy of a first round pick, and that's really the only Dallas could go.

Now they've added a #1 WR who's still young and going into his prime, and a guy that won't need time to develop like most rookie WR's do.

That's a big assumption. 

Should have clarified. Worthy of a high first round pick. There are no WRs that are rated as first rounders according to everyone I’ve seen and as for QBs it’s the Herbert kid at Oregon and our whipping boy at Missouri. Neither has looked great this year or looks like a game changer.

It’s not as much of an assumption as what I’m seeing from all the guys who scout and put out big boards so far.

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yeah if he keeps playing like a no 1 receiver, it makes overpaying for him tolerable at least.

It wasn't an overpay if he plays like a no 1 receiver..... We can debate if we could have got him with a 2nd and 5th but you certainly don't hear folks talking about how trading a 3rd for Golden Tate was such a shark move while the Cooper trade was stupendously dumb.  The talking heads analysis around the trade deadline hasn't aged well for most of them.

1 hour ago, In10se said:

That's a big assumption. 

There probably isn't a WR worthy of a top 10 pick but there are a number who should be in 20's.  Maybe a couple who go in the teens.  This QB draft is hilariously terrible.

• Like 1

There probably isn't a WR worthy of a top 10 pick but there are a number who should be in 20's.  Maybe a couple who go in the teens.  This QB draft is hilariously terrible.

Assume there a some that are worth a mid-round pick, and that the cowboys would have used that pick on one of them.

Then we are facing the choice between:

That guy = maybe is good + helps you next year + cheap rookie deal

&

Amari = proven pro + helps you now + more expensive

I can see arguing either way, but help now and a higher expected value is probably a good trade off for some $$$

Picking WRs in the draft especially outside the top 10 is such a crap shoot. On average probably get a guy like Josh Doctson from the Skins picking where we would have in the 1st round.

I just wonder about how much money we are going to have to pay Cooper. Does that mean we have to lose a Byron Jones or D Law? Both would be huge losses. 

• Like 1

DaMarkus Lodge of Cedar Hill made some great plays vs aggy a couple of weeks ago, and he's a Senior. One of the best HS receivers I've ever seen. He's overshadowed at Ole Miss by AJ Brown, a surefire first rounder. Lodge would be a great value grab at some point in the draft.

58 minutes ago, DougO said:

It's not like WR is the only thing the Cowboys need.

No.... but based on results, it was definitely one of, if not, the most important need.

49 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

We have to get a playmaking safety to replace Heath. I don't get how some people still defend him. 

Earl Thomas will probably be pursued in FA.  Not sure we'll be able to land him but I think he'll be a priority.

• Like 1

cooper is certainly better than anyone we could’ve drafted but the problem is the money.  if god loves us dak will not be affecting our cap in two years but d-law will be, maybe byron jones, maybe zeke, maybe jaylon smith.  we may need to sign another free agent between now and then.  our cap problems are going to return with a fucking vengeance.  100% worth it if we win a super bowl but if not the $15MM per season that cooper will get is gonna hurt when compared to rookie money.  

13 hours ago, Drew said:

They’ll find the money to pay Cooper and whoever else they want. Always do. Cap issues are always overstated it seems.

And yes, WR would have been the position we were screaming for more than anything.

You can only pay so many people. Cooper is going into his second deal which is going to be expensive at the exact same time the bills come due on Prescott and Elliott not to mention doing something with Lawrence and an already expensive OL that isn’t going to age well. I hope they make it work, but I’ve seen the Jones’ solutions to cap problems in the past and the team is just now getting clear of those. It’s going the way of all the money in the offense and none on defense and that’s not going to win a title with the lack of creativity this coaching staff has against KC, LAR, NO, etc.

13 hours ago, Drew said:

They’ll find the money to pay Cooper and whoever else they want. Always do. Cap issues are always overstated it seems.

And yes, WR would have been the position we were screaming for more than anything.

cap issues had a lot to do with winning two playoff games in 25 years.  you’re a moron.