Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

she was too busy hyperventillating-  which btw- both the video posted around page 3-4 of this thread  AND the neighbor have reported.    The moment she realized she was in the wrong apt, she started melting down while calling 911, and  you cant really perform CPR if you yourself are hyperventilating. 

Not that I am defending her at all, I am just pointing out that she was so frazzled it messed with her body.      I agree that she should have been helping, but the human brain can do weird things when it knows its life is basically over due to a situation.

Fair enough. Too bad they aren't trained for stressful situations.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Well, I don't think so.  You have concluded that "the initial facts take it out of the realm of ordinary police brutality."  I don't think they have.   Her thinking he was an intruder in her apartment is a different fact than we've seen, but so is "I though he was the guy who just robbed that store" or "I thought that cell phone was a gun."  Every event has different facts to it.   But the ordinary police brutality story is still very much in play as a potential explanation.  Cop sees black man as threat, shoots unarmed black man, turns out he was not a threat and cop acted too hastily. 

Again, we need more faActs to reach a conclusion.   But you are reaching all sorts of unjustified conclusions, like she didn't even see that he was black when she shot, without sufficient evidence at this point.  You seem hellbent on clearing her of a racist bad shoot at a really early stage for some reason. 

My stating that she couldn't see whather he was black or not that positiively was a mistake.  We don't know and we probably will never know.

And I have never once said she should  be cleared of any kind of shoot, much less a racist one.  I just happen to think that the circumstances here are so bizarre that you can't or shouldn't draw parallels to other cases other than in the most facile way (dead black man, live white cop).  I also have this notion that she was acting more in her individual capacity as a freaked-out single chick than as a cop.  But I don't know where or how you draw that line.

15 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

she was too busy hyperventillating-  which btw- both the video posted around page 3-4 of this thread  AND the neighbor have reported.    The moment she realized she was in the wrong apt, she started melting down while calling 911, and  you cant really perform CPR if you yourself are hyperventilating. 

Not that I am defending her at all, I am just pointing out that she was so frazzled it messed with her body.      I agree that she should have been helping, but the human brain can do weird things when it knows its life is basically over due to a situation.

IOW, she was already in CYA mode.  Black man bleeding out was unimportant.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

My stating that she couldn't see whather he was black or not that positiively was a mistake.  We don't know and we probably will never know.

And I have never once said she should  be cleared of any kind of shoot, much less a racist one.  I just happen to think that the circumstances here are so bizarre that you can't or shouldn't draw parallels to other cases other than in the most facile way (dead black man, live white cop).  I also have this notion that she was acting more in her individual capacity as a freaked-out single chick than as a cop.  But I don't know where or how you draw that line.

If she's wielding a government-issued service weapon, she is responsible to the citizens who issued it to her.  Even moreso when wearing a government-issued uniform and badge and barking commands.   I'm not even talking about her legal status, or that of the PD, for a civil suit. I mean for purposes of how to categorize this within the broader societal problem that BLM is attempting to address. 

The bizarre circumstances that led to the confrontation become effectively irrelevant from this perspective if she saw the victim and had time/distance to deescalate the confrontation.   If it was an instant fear reaction based on the apartment mistake and she had no time to do anything but shoot in the dark, OK.   And that is still a possibility.  If instead she had time to bark orders at an unarmed black guy she could see and shot him from several feet away because he didn't immediately comply, it sounds more like the ordinary police brutality situation.   And that is still a possibility as well.   Which means that your insistence that this event has no parallels to the typical BLM situation is grossly premature. 

There's no question in my mind that some cops (and people in general) view black lives, and especially black male lives, as less important or valuable than white lives, and that they take less care to ensure that shooting is a last resort when it's a black person on the other end of the gun.    That's the entire purpose of BLM:  to raise awareness that black lives matter but aren't equally treated as if they do.   And there remains a very plausible scenario under which this key parallel could be drawn here. 

14 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

If she's wielding a government-issued service weapon, she is responsible to the citizens who issued it to her.  Even moreso when wearing a government-issued uniform and badge and barking commands.   I'm not even talking about her legal status, or that of the PD, for a civil suit. I mean for purposes of how to categorize this within the broader societal problem that BLM is attempting to address. 

The bizarre circumstances that led to the confrontation become effectively irrelevant from this perspective if she saw the victim and had time/distance to deescalate the confrontation.   If it was an instant fear reaction based on the apartment mistake and she had no time to do anything but shoot in the dark, OK.   And that is still a possibility.  If instead she had time to bark orders at an unarmed black guy she could see and shot him from several feet away because he didn't immediately comply, it sounds more like the ordinary police brutality situation.   And that is still a possibility as well.   Which means that your insistence that this event has no parallels to the typical BLM situation is grossly premature. 

There's no question in my mind that some cops (and people in general) view black lives, and especially black male lives, as less important or valuable than white lives, and that they take less care to ensure that shooting is a last resort when it's a black person on the other end of the gun.    That's the entire purpose of BLM:  to raise awareness that black lives matter but aren't equally treated as if they do.   And there remains a very plausible scenario under which this key parallel could be drawn here. 

Fair enough.  You have convinced me.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

According to the rangers affidavit she administered first aid. I don't believe that for a minute. The video shows her frantically pacing outside the apartment.

At the risk of "trolling," the video is a bit chopped up, but my initial impression was that she was pacing around outside while the EMTs were at work inside.  You see them leave, you don't see them arrive.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Here's an issue for the eventual trial:  In many situations of police prosecution you may never hear the cop testify.  But I don't see how she can defend herself on the set of facts as alleged in the affidavit without testifying.  Seems like a dicey proposition for her attorney. 

Interesting point.  The most interesting question for her to me is "why didn't you back out of the apartment" and call for backup?  Where was he going to go?"

Another interesting question is who were you talking to on the phone while the EMTs were at work.

On further reflection, there is more factual development that may shed light on this than I initially thought.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I believe that this was an "accident" in that she didn't go home wanting to kill a dude.  I do believe this is a direct product of the culture that police have cultivated. Police feel justified shooting and killing civilians at the slightest perceived threat to their own safety.  

Can't much argue with that.  And I guess it's from this that I was saying you don't have to even bring race into it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

After my 11 page shift of reading this thread, I became disoriented and thought I was in the wrong apartment. Fortunately, I was armed  and walked into the living room. There was a woman there who didn't belong. I told her to "get on the ground! Get on the ground!" but she didn't obey.

I, of course, blasted her right then and there. Imagine my horror when I realized that I was actually in the right apartment and had killed my beloved with a bullet to the heart. 

I didn't call 911. She's in a shallow grave. Her car is in the lake. I have no idea why she left me. I saw her talking to an illegal alien gang member and suspect she was raped and murdered by him. His name is Pedro. He does the lawn work and sends money to his family in Guatamala when he's not murderin' and rapin'.

Ah, the police have arrived! "Get on the ground! Get on the ground!" "No hablo-" POPPOPOPOP.

Everything's gonna be alright. It's a sweet old world that I live in. Pass the craft beer and mayonnaise.

15 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I believe that this was an "accident" in that she didn't go home wanting to kill a dude.  I do believe this is a direct product of the culture that police have cultivated. Police feel justified shooting and killing civilians at the slightest perceived threat to their own safety.  

Ex-Baltimore cop talking about some cops are always afraid for their safety and act accordingly:  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ex-Baltimore cop talking about some cops are always afraid for their safety and act accordingly:  

I saw some kind of doc somewhere with this guy.  Can't remember where or what it was called.  Pretty remarkable this guy, all of about 35 years old, cop for 10 years, has as much wisdom and insight as he does.

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What I was saying pages back and what I think I would agree with TwiceHorn about is, this lady's intent was not to be a big bully, power-tripping butthole to what she considered an inferior. Did she subconsciously/indirectly have racial bias (e.g. not give benefit of doubt like would with white)? Sure. But by all accounts, this is not the typical police brutality we have seen, but a different flavor, one in which the woman by all accounts was torn up about this and did not mean to actively hurt this innocent POC. 

A whole host of issues are unearthed though and a lot of things can be said to be at fault, from training to should she have even been a person with the authority of a cop with a deadly weapon due to past shootings and if she is so fearful as to behave as she did, but regardless, this lady's life is ruined and she ruined countless of other lives and horribly even took one.

That said, if she would just show some of that humility and accountability and be brave enough to own it, legally, I think she gets more sympathy and compassion. To immediately retreat behind the blue line and try to find each and every cubby hole of defense is a bad look, though I get it. It's scary and she's looking out for numero uno, so the fact people are pissed is justifiable to an extent.

I’m sure drunk drivers don’t intend to kill anyone either, but they do and they go to prison for it.  Her first thought was to shoot first and ask questions about innocents later. That’s a danger to society and she needs to spend some time thinking deeply about why this young man will be missing the holidays with his family. 

Just now, Huckleberry said:
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:
Is there a video? I saw something from Twitter or some other bullshit, but nothing credible. 

This is exactly what I mean. Video from the scene in the immediate aftermath of the incident isn't credible? That's absurd and it's stuff like this that makes you less credible than you think.

I saw something in connection with some other material that was discredited.  Turned out it was that video.  It seemed to show balconies and railings, whereas the other still photos I had seen showed an enclosed hallway.

I remain skeptical of things I see on social media.  Attach it to a news site and I might be willing to give it some more credibility.

Just admit it, you don't like my posts.  That's fine.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I saw something in connection with some other material that was discredited.  Turned out it was that video.  It seemed to show balconies and railings, whereas the other still photos I had seen showed an enclosed hallway.

I remain skeptical of things I see on social media.  Attach it to a news site and I might be willing to give it some more credibility.

Just admit it, you don't like my posts.  That's fine.

Maybe if they were a little more toastie he would enjoy them

What did angry Huckleberry do with cool Huckleberry?  Twicehorn plays devils advocate much better than most.  Shouldn't be an issue with anyone who champions logic and the truth.  Cool Huckleberry wasn't prone to lobbing ad hominem bombs all the time like angry Huckleberry has been wont to do lately (and not just in this thread).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/09/10/dallas-officer-who-shot-man-claims-she-didnt-know-she-was-wrong-apartment-until-calling/

There's a link to the video about halfway in this article. 

There is only one Huckleberry and he hates hypocrisy. You'll notice that I didn't take him to task until he made unfounded assumptions shortly after ridiculing several other posters for doing the same thing.

And that's not what really what ad hominem means. I originally addressed only his actions on this thread and he in turn made it about what he views his role on this forum to be.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm pretty sure that doesn't need to be admitted as it's clearly the case here. Although to be clear, I like your posts on many threads if not most. But in this thread you're basically posting like a caricature of yourself.

Lol ok.  I'm just doing my thing.  I looked back at that original posting of the video and on the same page there were posts with facebook or instagram or whatever photos allegedly depicting her.  I didn't buy those either, at first.  I think they were later shown to be correct, but identifying the wrong one.  Some allegedly showed her with him and that proved to be waaaayyyy off.

You also jumped my ass once on one of the Trump/Manafort threads.  I'm not really trying to be obtuse, a dickwad, or a troll.  I see people getting all riled up about a bad cop and am trying to tether them to reality a bit, or maybe just present the counter-position.  I do the same thing with criminal defendants of all kinds that get talked about on here.  I'm normally pretty stridently anti-cop, but for some reason this has a bit of a lynch mob feel.  Maybe she needs to be lynched, I dunno.

19 minutes ago, SDG said:

I’m sure drunk drivers don’t intend to kill anyone either, but they do and they go to prison for it.  Her first thought was to shoot first and ask questions about innocents later. That’s a danger to society and she needs to spend some time thinking deeply about why this young man will be missing the holidays with his family. 

I agree. But also drunk drivers aren't given murder in the first or homocide offenses usually either (that I know of, and I've known a guy to do it). usually its of the manslaughter variety.

Twicehorn ridiculed someone?  I like Twicehorn.  His posts are generally pretty thoughtful.  But come on man, I think his posting history clearly establishes that he's a Stoic robot.  Very rare to see strong emotion in his posts.

I like Huckleberry too.  But lately, Huckleberry is very aggressive.  Maybe it's just me who sees it this way.

Edited by bernorange
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bernorange said:

What did angry Huckleberry do with cool Huckleberry?  Twicehorn plays devils advocate much better than most.  Shouldn't be an issue with anyone who champions logic and the truth.  Cool Huckleberry wasn't prone to lobbing ad hominem bombs all the time like angry Huckleberry has been wont to do lately (and not just in this thread).

He went home to find there wasn't a black man in underwear waiting for him. These things go both ways.

4 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Twicehorn ridiculed someone?  I like Twicehorn.  His posts are generally pretty thoughtful.  But come on man, I think his posting history clearly establishes that he's a Stoic robot.  Very rare to see strong emotion in his posts.

I like Huckleberry too.  But lately, Huckleberry is very aggressive.  Maybe it's just me who sees it this way.

The political climate has everyone on edge one way or another.  Look at poor brisket.  I'm just glad he has threads like these to take his mind off the apocalypse for a bit.

And thanks, I do try not to go off on people,  Don't always succeed, and sometimes "tone."  I don't really want to fight or have bad relations with anyone here.  Except maybe bad_teammate.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Haha 1

The political climate has everyone on edge one way or another.  Look at poor brisket.  I'm just glad he has threads like these to take his mind off the apocalypse for a bit.

And thanks, I do try not to go off on people,  Don't always succeed, and sometimes "tone."  I don't really want to fight or have bad relations with anyone here.  Except maybe bad_teammate.

bad_teammate is actually one of my favorite posters these days, and I vehemently disagree with him on almost everything.

Huckleberry wishes he was half as smart as B_t which is funny because you get the distinct impression that he thinks he is very intelligent. /nothreadderail

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Lol ok.  I'm just doing my thing.  I looked back at that original posting of the video and on the same page there were posts with facebook or instagram or whatever photos allegedly depicting her.  I didn't buy those either, at first.  I think they were later shown to be correct, but identifying the wrong one.  Some allegedly showed her with him and that proved to be waaaayyyy off.

This is my entire point. You go too far because, according to you, you think it's your role on this forum to play the devil's advocate regardless of the discussion. Sometimes playing the devil's advocate is just dumb. I mean it can be funny like in Louis CK's "but maybe..." bit, but when you're ostensibly trying to be serious about it then it's actually hurtful to the discussion. Take this example you want to use. Skepticism about the photos that claimed to be the victim and the killer was healthy and warranted. We had no idea what the shooter looked like so there was no reason to either believe or disbelieve that those photos showed what they claimed to show. However it was a different case entirely with the video. We know what Officer Guyger looks like, we can tell it was her in the video, we see the EMTs wheeling out a body on a stretcher while she's distraught, etc. There is absolutely zero reason to doubt the validity of those videos other than trying to play a role on the internet. That skepticism was neither healthy nor warranted, it was silly and unproductive.

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You also jumped my ass once on one of the Trump/Manafort threads.  I'm not really trying to be obtuse, a dickwad, or a troll.  I see people getting all riled up about a bad cop and am trying to tether them to reality a bit, or maybe just present the counter-position.  I do the same thing with criminal defendants of all kinds that get talked about on here.  I'm normally pretty stridently anti-cop, but for some reason this has a bit of a lynch mob feel.  Maybe she needs to be lynched, I dunno.

What kind of bad cop are you talking about here? If it's dirty, well we don't have any evidence that she's a dirty cop. Problem is that nobody on here is calling her a dirty cop. If it's the kind of bad cop who shouldn't be allowed to wield a gun among the citizenry because she's jumpy and makes terrible decisions in the heat of the moment, well, we have plenty of evidence that she's that kind of bad cop. So what exactly are you protecting her from? The people on this thread (and likely in Dallas) are upset because she killed a man in his apartment who had done nothing wrong and it is increasingly looking like the system is trying to help her get away with it. Nobody has asked for a lynch mob, they have asked that she be treated the exact same as a citizen who did the same thing. You are defending her against things that aren't happening.

If you mistake your apartment for another person's and while that happens you kill that person using the gun issued to you in your capacity as a cop, yeah, I'm going to say you're a bad cop. Your incompetence and bad judgment led to the death of an innocent person.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

bad_teammate is actually one of my favorite posters these days, and I vehemently disagree with him on almost everything.

Huckleberry wishes he was half as smart as B_t which is funny because you get the distinct impression that he thinks he is very intelligent. /nothreadderail

That might be the most horrifying opinion I’ve ever seen here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, there's nothing terribly controversial until the last sentence.  That accepts her stated belief as what happened.  That is the closest to thin blue line there is here.

It's all subject to proof, and it's not exactly like there were a bunch of witnesses to interview.

Yeah, nothing terribly controversial, except the fact that it reads like a well-thought-out defense rather than an arrest warrant.

"Apartment #1378 and apartment #1478 and their respective interior floorplan are in most ways identical or extremely similar to the exterior surroundings, structure, and description of each other." -- you know, extremely similar except for the numbers outside the unit, the floor numbers in the parking garage and the big fucking bright red doormat outside.  I'm sure a red doormat will magically show up in front of the officer's unit and some elderly resident will testify that it was there all along.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is my entire point. You go too far because, according to you, you think it's your role on this forum to play the devil's advocate regardless of the discussion. Sometimes playing the devil's advocate is just dumb. I mean it can be funny like in Louis CK's "but maybe..." bit, but when you're ostensibly trying to be serious about it then it's actually hurtful to the discussion. Take this example you want to use. Skepticism about the photos that claimed to be the victim and the killer was healthy and warranted. We had no idea what the shooter looked like so there was no reason to either believe or disbelieve that those photos showed what they claimed to show. However it was a different case entirely with the video. We know what Officer Guyger looks like, we can tell it was her in the video, we see the EMTs wheeling out a body on a stretcher while she's distraught, etc. There is absolutely zero reason to doubt the validity of those videos other than trying to play a role on the internet. That skepticism was neither healthy nor warranted, it was silly and unproductive.

What kind of bad cop are you talking about here? If it's dirty, well we don't have any evidence that she's a dirty cop. Problem is that nobody on here is calling her a dirty cop. If it's the kind of bad cop who shouldn't be allowed to wield a gun among the citizenry because she's jumpy and makes terrible decisions in the heat of the moment, well, we have plenty of evidence that she's that kind of bad cop. So what exactly are you protecting her from? The people on this thread (and likely in Dallas) are upset because she killed a man in his apartment who had done nothing wrong and it is increasingly looking like the system is trying to help her get away with it. Nobody has asked for a lynch mob, they have asked that she be treated the exact same as a citizen who did the same thing. You are defending her against things that aren't happening.

I will take issue with one thing and then stop.  When post 182 was made, when I saw it sometime thereafter, we did not know what she looked like as she had not been arrested or clearly identified, certainly not in this thread.  The video appeared within  10 posts of the photos that you allow that I was right to be skeptical of. Hence my skepticism. 

Perhaps you can fault me for not "keeping up," but don't accuse me of making shit up about the video.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

...0bbde8b6cc3f4afd678f6d3f3baa318f.jpg

If this ends up being true, then I’m assuming the hallway was lit, and the two were very close to each other on either side of the doorway, so darkness should not be a factor in her assessment of him and his actions. If she saw that he was in his underwear, she should also have seen that he was not holding a weapon.  He may have been acting in a hostile manner, as one is prone to doing when someone is breaking into their home. 

But she’s the one with the supposed training to evaluate that situation, as well as the hallway escape path. 

I will take issue with one thing and then stop.  When post 182 was made, when I saw it sometime thereafter, we did not know what she looked like as she had not been arrested or clearly identified, certainly not in this thread.  The video appeared within  10 posts of the photos that you allow that I was right to be skeptical of. Hence my skepticism. 

Perhaps you can fault me for not "keeping up," but don't accuse me of making shit up about the video.

I can understand that, but at the time you made the post about the video being bullshit we had learned her identity in the interim, seen other pictures and videos of the apartments, and had more information on her side of the story. So at that point we had plenty of information to confirm the validity of the video that we had seen. I suppose not keeping up could explain it but you're too smart for me to believe that you couldn't recall what was on the video that short of a period of time after seeing it.

Anyway, the important thing is that I think most people who are upset on this thread would agree that she's guilty of manslaughter given currently available information. And the anger comes from how much differently she's being treated than any other citizen would be treated had they done the exact same thing.

32 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

She did intend to kill him though.  Intent doesn't mean premeditation.  She absolutely intended to kill when she pulled the trigger, the accident part is she thought she was in the right.

This is a really good point. The defense will use the accident narrative but she showed intent to kill by pulling the trigger. Her only accident was believing she had the right to kill a man because he didn’t obey her commands. I may need to refresh my knowledge of the penal code but I don’t think capital punshiment is allowed for disobeying a conman from a peace officer

• Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I can understand that, but at the time you made the post about the video being bullshit we had learned her identity in the interim, seen other pictures and videos of the apartments, and had more information on her side of the story. So at that point we had plenty of information to confirm the validity of the video that we had seen. I suppose not keeping up could explain it but you're too smart for me to believe that you couldn't recall what was on the video that short of a period of time after seeing it.

Anyway, the important thing is that I think most people who are upset on this thread would agree that she's guilty of manslaughter given currently available information. And the anger comes from how much differently she's being treated than any other citizen would be treated had they done the exact same thing.

That's fair.  She has received some disparate treatment.  So far, it's not the worst case of blue line I have seen.  I think the fact that DPD wanted to indict her for manslaughter, immediately, seemed encouraging.  Kinda goes downhill from there.  I wonder what her bail is?

On the video, I had seen it and dismissed it.  When I asked about it, it was legit.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's fair.  She has received some disparate treatment.  So far, it's not the worst case of blue line I have seen.  I think the fact that DPD wanted to indict her for manslaughter, immediately, seemed encouraging.  Kinda goes downhill from there.  I wonder what her bail is?

On the video, I had seen it and dismissed it.  When I asked about it, it was legit.

People are also reacting based on the understood history behind stuff like that. "We charged her! We're doing our job!" quickly becomes soft-selling a grand jury in the hopes of not getting an indictment all too often. And that's why the language and tone of the arrest affidavit is immediately bothersome to people.

Not to mention it creates a situation where people are required to assume someone who illegally breaks into and enters your home in the dark and says "put your hands up" is a police officer. If she gets away with this, that will be the actual logical takeaway for citizens moving forward. And that is almost a good enough societal reason to convict her all on its own.