Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

21 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Looks to me like he's making "p.d.," as in police department, though I've never heard of such a handsign before. 

I thought it was "double loose butthole."  As in, "You killed a guy in his own apartment?  Total loose butthole, bro.  Double loose butthole."

An investigator says a Dallas police officer who shot and killed her neighbor after mistaking his apartment for her own said that when she inserted her key in his door, it opened because it had been slightly ajar.

https://apnews.com/25044e46567e4f6591d5c30a612cc64a/The-Latest:-Affidavit:-Cop-said-neighbor's-door-was-ajar

You don't bother to close your front door, much less lock it, you are basically inviting the worst elements of society to stick a broom handle up your ass.  #Grendeled

6 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Ah, there its ladies and gents.

The guy in his own apartment minding his business did not immediately respond to the intruders commands.

Only one choice, bang bang muthafucka. 

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

What a slap in the face to this guy's family.  Playing the didn't comply with commands card.  I guarantee that never happened anyway.  I have no connection to any of this and I'm even insulted.  Fucking cops.

Yeah....that's a pretty stunning angle.

I gotta tell you, some fucker busts into my house in the dark of night hollering at me, I'm probably not too keen on responding to his/her commands either.

i 100% guarantee you that the "law and order" crowd of apologists will be trotting out the "if you comply with the cop's commands, you won't get shot.  This is all on him" card promptly.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....that's a pretty stunning angle.

I gotta tell you, some fucker busts into my house in the dark of night hollering at me, I'm probably not too keen on responding to his/her commands either.

i 100% guarantee you that the "law and order" crowd of apologists will be trotting out the "if you comply with the cop's commands, you won't get shot.  This is all on him" card promptly.

Exactly and that's why they are taking that defense.  Get a couple of apologists on the jury and they have it made.  Like I said, it's an insult.

So she goes into an apartment that’s not hers with no warrant or probable cause. That’s trespassing. No way the door was ajar, btw.

Then she shoots basically a shadow, because the lights are out. Maybe she identifies herself as a cop, maybe not.  She couldn’t tell if he had a weapon or was a threat, because dark.  If the citizenry is expected to believe that anyone bursting through their door barking orders is a cop, then why don’t criminals to this to gain advantage when robbing folks?

ignorance is no excuse, right?  I get popped going 55 in a 45 and tell the cop I thought the limit was 55, they don’t tip their caps and let me on my way.  I thought I was within my rights isn’t supposed to be a valid defense.  I thought I was sober!  I thought I was going the right way on the highway!  I thought that baggie was full of powdered sugar!  I thought she said “don’t stop,” not “don’t!  Stop!”

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So she goes into an apartment that’s not hers with no warrant or probable cause. That’s trespassing. No way the door was ajar, btw.

Then she shoots basically a shadow, because the lights are out. Maybe she identifies herself as a cop, maybe not.  She couldn’t tell if he had a weapon or was a threat, because dark.  If the citizenry is expected to believe that anyone bursting through their door barking orders is a cop, then why don’t criminals to this to gain advantage when robbing folks?

ignorance is no excuse, right?  I get popped going 55 in a 45 and tell the cop I thought the limit was 55, they don’t tip their caps and let me on my way.  I thought I was within my rights isn’t supposed to be a valid defense.  I thought I was sober!  I thought I was going the right way on the highway!  I thought that baggie was full of powdered sugar!  I thought she said “don’t stop,” not “don’t!  Stop!”

The door was either unlocked or slightly ajar, yes? That's the only way she gets in without him opening the door for her.

8 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I wonder if the electronic key card system that the apartment complex uses is a "smart" system that logs door status in a database - open, closed, locked, unlocked.  If so, would be very interested to know what was recorded for the victim's door the night in question.

If it's a key card, perhaps that makes more sense than a key.  With a keyed lock, I assume the key would fit, but not turn, while the knob might if unlocked.  That would be a weird feeling.  But if you insert a card somewhere, you are expecting the knob to turn so there's still little or no indication that you are in the wrong place.

Edit:  I see it was a chipped key, not a key card.

Any way you slice it, though, she was pretty quick on the trigger, and that quickness probably exposes her to a felony conviction, even if she doesn't spend a day in jail.

Here's the arrest warrant.  It is sworn out by a Texas Ranger, so it is probably not your standard thin blue line deal.

Edited by TwiceHorn

28 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

The first 50% of the arrest warrant reads like it was written by her defense attorney. No thin blue line, my ass.

Actually, there's nothing terribly controversial until the last sentence.  That accepts her stated belief as what happened.  That is the closest to thin blue line there is here.

It's all subject to proof, and it's not exactly like there were a bunch of witnesses to interview.

58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If it's a key card, perhaps that makes more sense than a key.  With a keyed lock, I assume the key would fit, but not turn, while the knob might if unlocked.  That would be a weird feeling.  But if you insert a card somewhere, you are expecting the knob to turn so there's still little or no indication that you are in the wrong place.

Edit:  I see it was a chipped key, not a key card.

Any way you slice it, though, she was pretty quick on the trigger, and that quickness probably exposes her to a felony conviction, even if she doesn't spend a day in jail.

Here's the arrest warrant.  It is sworn out by a Texas Ranger, so it is probably not your standard thin blue line deal.

That arrest warrant lists one excuse after the other.  

If this trial is held outside of Dallas County, my bold prediction is she skates.  And if she skates, this city will riot.  It will not be pretty, big time.

2 minutes ago, SameSame said:

That arrest warrant lists one excuse after the other.  

If this trial is held outside of Dallas County, my bold prediction is she skates.  And if she skates, this city will riot.  It will not be pretty, big time.

Well, because by necessity it comes straight from her.  Who is going to contradict her? 

• Like 1

What were the verbal commands, Officer Guyger?  If you remember it all so saliently...what exactly was said?  Make sure it sounds like something you'd say if it was you entering your own apartment at night.  and not just you stumbling upon a "perp"...

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, because by necessity it comes straight from her.  Who is going to contradict her? 

I don’t know anything about arrest warrants but I can’t imagine it is SOP to take at face value every exculpatory fact the killer can come up with and include it on the sworn affidavit of another officer.  

It’s not even “the suspect claims she immedialty administered CPR” or “the suspect admits to shooting the victim and claims it was dark” and whatever.  It’s just “this is what happened.”

Fuck this stupid bitch and now spinning this and victim blaming. Sad thing is, a jury is going to buy this made up shit and she might never do any time.

Also, was that pic of the cop and the victim not legit as in it wasn't her? I'm reading from some that it wasn't and they still don't have any reason to believe they knew each other prior.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Welp, she's getting off.  This is Texas.  There will be at least one super cop-apologist on the jury, they'll never convict, because that boy shoulda obeyed the commands of an officer of the LAW.

We're done here.

Then I hope the protesters burn Dallas down. 

• Like 3

If these were two civilians and this same scenario happened, she would get charged with manslaughter, imo.  As a cop, it gets murky. We want to think that the police are better trained and equipped to handle being startled or confused but that isn't the case and it is costing lives.

Also, late at night with your door ajar is a booty call you are waiting on. He was expecting someone, it seems to me. I'm not saying her but someone. The unlocked door cost him his life because this woman got scared and pulled the trigger super fast before fully assessing the situation. 

I think I would have reached for the light after announcing I'm police with a gun in my hand.  I'd want to know what I was shooting at. What if it was my sister who I gave a key to or a neighbor or a friend...I'd want to know what the fuck before I pulled the trigger.

The question is, does Dallas have the personality/demographic to riot and go berserk when she gets off a la Baltimore and Ferguson? Do people see St. Lucian as fundamentally different than American black?

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fuck this stupid bitch and now spinning this and victim blaming. Sad thing is, a jury is going to buy this made up shit and she might never do any time.

Also, was that pic of the cop and the victim not legit as in it wasn't her? I'm reading from some that it wasn't and they still don't have any reason to believe they knew each other prior.

They didn't know each other.  She was simply a weak ditz issued a firearm with no larger understanding or care of her role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

There is zero chance the door was ajar. Unlocked? Sure. I have no doubt her rep repeatedly told her the door was ajar. Right, officer? Right? It was ajar.

One time me and three friends dropped acid and drove around in my dad’s car. He has one of those talking cars, we’re tripping, and the car goes, “The door is ajar.” We pulled over and thought about that for 12 hours. “How can a door be a jar?” … “Why would they put a jar on a car?” … “Oh man, the freeway’s melting!” … “Put it in the jar."

• Like 1

The warrant states she t that she's in the wrong apartment?urns on the light and when 911 operator asks where she is, she goes to the door to get the # and discovers she's in the wrong apartment. You mean turning on the light in someone else's apartment doesn't clue this idiot cop in that she's in the wrong apartment?

5 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The question is, does Dallas have the personality/demographic to riot and go berserk when she gets off a la Baltimore and Ferguson? Do people see St. Lucian as fundamentally different than American black?

I don't know if they will riot, but they do have the "lone wolf goes berserk" contingent.  Especially when it comes to cops killing black folks.

If this cunt skates, I wouldn't blame them one bit for going off.