Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

33 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Pretty sure they have issued a warrant but she hasnt been brought in yet. At least as of this morning.

Crazy that they've drawn blood but havent interviewed her to understand what the hell happened. Any of us would of been in jail Thursday night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gotta give the cops time to plant evidence and get stories straight.

• Like 1

Well, well, well. What do we have here?

0031b47fe89583183ef74e0d6982cfc9.jpg

She's apparently the one on the right in the sunglasses, before she dyed her hair blonde. If true and she obviously knew him this is gonna turn out like many thought with there being some relationship bs involved.

https://newsone.com/3825718/amber-guyger-amy-gyger-dallas-police-shooting/

It was obvious this was not a mistake of wrong apartment. This was premeditated murder. She knew exactly what she was doing. They definitely had a history and knew each other. Hence a witness saying she was screaming "open up open up!".

Manslaughter is fucking bullshit if that's all this bitch gets.

• Like 1

Texas Rangers are in charge and told Dallas PD to hold off on issuing a warrant after interviewing the cop. Also despite interwebz it seems lady cop and Jean did not know each other. who knows though.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/dpd-chief-said-a-warrant-was-coming-in-the-death-of-botham-jean-why-it-hasnt-yet/287-592186927

Homicide is murder (intentionally or knowingly) manslaughter (recklessly) or criminally negligent homicide (criminal negligence).

intentional and knowing mean conscious desire to bring about the result, or knew that the result would occur, generally referred to a specific intent. 

Recklessness and criminal negligence are general intents where the actor did not intend to cause the harm. Recklessness is the conscious awareness of a substantial and unjustifiable risk and proceeding anyway. Criminal negligence is different in the failure to perceive the substantial and unjustifiable risk is a substantial deviation from how a reasonable person would act. Like shooting a gun in a crowded area. No intent to kill anyone, but the act is a sufficient mens rea, or culpability, to be a crime.

Her conduct, in shooting him was an intentional act. She shot him with the specific intent to kill. That’s murder under the Texas Penal Code.

She could assert at least two defenses to her conduct. 

One is mistake of fact, if her belief that he was an intruder in her home was reasonable under the circumstances.

The other is self defense, but again, that requires a reasonable belief that deadly force was necessary under the circumstances as she reasonably believed them to be at the time, not in hindsight. I question that she could avail herself of each element of the statute that would get her the presumption and jury instruction for “degree of force used presumed to be reasonable” and “no duty to retreat.”

I don’t see a jury buying the justification of self defense. They might bite on a mistake of fact defense but she could still be convicted of any lesser included offense of murder, to wit: manslaugher or criminally negligent homicide. 

• Like 1

Fuck this whole angle about her being extremely tired after working a 12 hour shift and that exhaustion led her to shoot the guy.    She wasn't pouring concrete, digging ditches or roofing houses for 12 hours.   She was driving or sitting in a car for most of those hours.   I worked 12 hour shifts for 14 years.    It isn't that bad as long as you aren't doing manual labor on your feet the whole time.   Which she wasn't.

• Like 1

Her union Lawyers already have a strategy

1. petite female cop was forced to work back 2 back 12 hour shifts cuz there's a shortage of cops

2. new to the complex and was weary from her tough job and her key doesn't work

3. large black man opens the door and scares her then BANG BANG

4. calls 911 cause she is a concerned citizen

5. profit??

Anyone else is going to jail thursday night. 

1 hour ago, Foggy Notion said:

Dallas Morning News names the police officer, Amber Guyger. DPD says she moved into the complex a month ago and didnt know the victim. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-police/2018/09/08/dallas-officer-shot-man-apartment-involved-2017-shooting-suspect

She'd better get evicted at least. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Not sure if it's worse that she didn't know.  If she knew him, she planned the whole thing.  If she didn't know him, she's wildly incompetent and the screening process for the Dallas Police Force should be called into question.  Her being drunk makes the most sense, actually.

As she supposedly just finished her shift, if she was under the influence, I'm gonna say abusing prescription drugs, not alcohol.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Even if we buy the story that she thought it was her apartment ( I don’t) , how does she shoot an unarmed man? Did he attack her? 

Supposedly, the neighbors reported she tried to open the door, it didn't open, there was some screaming, he opened the door, and the she shot him.

She never "opened the door."

The more I read/learn, it sounds like this could be one of those weird freaky horrible tragedies. Even still, there needs to be justice, but man, just really sad and horrible all around. One person is gone and the other person, if accidental and truly freak accident, will probably wish she was gone when this is all said and done.

Have to admit I have entered the wrong apartment before.  But I was all kinds of messed up and it wasn't my place, was looking for a friend.  Ran out instantly when I figured it out.

Wonder what would’ve happened if you were carrying a gun and killed the person who lived there. I feel like you probably would’ve been arrested.

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Wonder what would’ve happened if you were carrying a gun and killed the person who lived there. I feel like you probably would’ve been arrested.

or if he had actually shot her--- since you know supposedly she was screaming open up, open up,  he could actually legit claim castle doctrine.....

but then we all laugh because the MOMENT he claimed that and a uniformed officer was dead outside his apt,  he would have been arrested for Capital Murder, with death penalty being expected.

This guy was fucked no matter what

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

but then we all laugh because the MOMENT he claimed that and a uniformed officer was dead outside his apt,  he would have been arrested for Capital Murder, with death penalty being expected.

His face would be plastered on the front page of every paper and the lead at 6&10. Instead, we'll interview her later and withhold her information because she had a long day at work.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

It was obvious this was not a mistake of wrong apartment. This was premeditated murder. She knew exactly what she was doing. They definitely had a history and knew each other. Hence a witness saying she was screaming "open up open up!".

This is stupid

The more I read/learn, it sounds like this could be one of those weird freaky horrible tragedies. Even still, there needs to be justice, but man, just really sad and horrible all around. One person is gone and the other person, if accidental and truly freak accident, will probably wish she was gone when this is all said and done.

Bull fucking shit. A tragedy usually is unavoidable or truly accidental. This cunt made so many mistakes, never thought for a second that maybe it was a mistake on her end, saw scary black guy and decided to shoot first ask questions later. Thin blue line and all. There’s no punishment too harsh. She can never make up for what she did to that family, and it was entirely a flaw on her end. I don’t want a bitch like this living among normal law abiding people.

• Like 2

I still don’t get how it escalated to a shooting. Even if she thought it was her apartment. The guy answers the door. Um no, this is my apartment. I live here. How did we get from words to shooting? None of that makes sense. I understand she could of made a mistake, and that’s fine, but thoughts/actions that took this scenario from misunderstanding to death is why I believe it is murder and not manslaughter. 

Yes, there is probably an element of racism to this.  But it's looking more and more like a tragic accident from both sides.

It's not police brutality in any ordinary sense.  And fuck Lee Merritt for trying to make it so in advance of any facts to support it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes, there is probably an element of racism to this.  But it's looking more and more like a tragic accident from both sides.

Admittedly I had a little too much brown liquor last night (thanks Tom), but have I missed an update on this story?  Because I am having a difficult time constructing a narrative where this is a tragic accident.  I'm seeing some version of negligent homicide/manslaughter as the floor and murder as the ceiling.  

16 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Dallas Morning News names the police officer, Amber Guyger. DPD says she moved into the complex a month ago and didnt know the victim. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-police/2018/09/08/dallas-officer-shot-man-apartment-involved-2017-shooting-suspect

I mentioned this story to my  24-year old daughter (no pics for pervs). My daughter said she went to the wrong apartment once, tried using her key, knocked on the door, called for her roommate to open the door, then realized that the apartment number was 435, not 425. She had recently moved in. At least she had the correct floor and turned right once she stepped off the elevator. 

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Admittedly I had a little too much brown liquor last night (thanks Tom), but have I missed an update on this story?  Because I am having a difficult time constructing a narrative where this is a tragic accident.  I'm seeing some version of negligent homicide/manslaughter as the floor and murder as the ceiling.  

See the article linked above.  She didn't know him, which was the internet bullshit spinning around yesterday.  I'm not saying there should or won't be criminal charges, and the facts have yet to come out and there's still explaining to do.

But this isn't your ordinary case of police brutality.

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Nothing in that story warrants a firearm being used 

I wonder if he had a weapon in his hand when he opened the door. I would’ve if I heard someone trying to enter my home. 

On Christmas Eve 2003, our family was gathered at our vacation home. Someone had set off the security system a while earlier, and the relative who answered the phone call from the security company didn’t know the password. A while later, I was trimming the prime rib for the next day, and there was a knock at the door. I went to the door with a bloody butcher’s knife in my hand, and it was a sheriff’s deputy. He put his hand on his gun, but he didn’t shoot me. But, then again, I’m white. /csb

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Thanks.  I don't think it's police brutality, or at least not in the way that we are accustomed to using that term.  At some point she chose to take her gun out of her holster. That's a pretty serious choice, and I presume she has had extensive training on how to make that choice.  And then she chose to use it, another very serious choice. Any scenario that does not involve the guy pointing a gun at her when he opened the door is criminal imo.

Thanks.  I don't think it's police brutality, or at least not in the way that we are accustomed to using that term.  At some point she chose to take her gun out of her holster. That's a pretty serious choice, and I presume she has had extensive training on how to make that choice.  And then she chose to use it, another very serious choice. Any scenario that does not involve the guy pointing a gun at her when he opened the door is criminal imo.

He would have every right to have a gun. It’s his apartment and she was harassing him and possibly trying to enter. It doesn’t matter even a little bit that she was mistaken. It’s her dumbass fault for being an idiot and not knowing where she lives. I’ve tried to enter the wrong hotel room once (a lot more understandable than a place you actually live) and as soon as the key didn’t work my first thought was “maybe I’m on the wrong floor” not “where’s my gun gotta shoot whoever’s inside!” She committed a horrible crime. She better fucking pay.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:34 AM, PilotsError said:

I keep saying disarm the police.

For those saying they don't believe she accidentally went to the wrong door either have never lived in apartments or haven't lived in one in a while.

Look at that complex, the floors are EXACTLY the same.  

I don't know how she missed that bright red doormat though.  

I believe her version is pretty much what happened, and I believe she should have been immediately arrested and thrown in jail.

• Like 1

Back in 2011, I was living in some new apts in Las Colinas.  Got too drunk and stayed with a friend in downtown Dallas, but when I got back to my place my apt door was busted open.  Called the cops and they came and went in with guns drawn.  When they gave the all clear sign, they asked me to look around to see if anything was taken.  Sure as shit, everything was there.  (Only think worth any value was my laptop and it was sitting right on the table in plain sight.)

Cop said it looks like someone came home too drunk and had the wrong apartment and they realized it soon as they busted in.  

Soon as I heard this story, I thought immediately that's what happened here.