USC v. Texas Discussion - Let It Begin

Wally Pryor

7 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

The more I listen to Joel Klatt, the more I like him. 

i find myself here as well . he doesn't rail us every chance he gets,  pretty much the only one not constantly fellating sec sec sec  . though i'm pretty sure he doesn't like drew kelson . or wouldn't if he could remember him 

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Dele going to run from sideline to sideline wrecking shit like he did in the Spring game.  I am gruntled.  He can't be worse than what we have been running out there the past two weeks.  

That will allow Roach to spin down and play his true position besides running around clueless.

4 hours ago, EZ$ said:

We have to win period, but if we are actually going to have a chance in the B12, we have to win convincingly.  

Yes, I’ve seen the same 2 games all of you have, but I’m holding on to hope that everything clicks and we become the 9-win team that mostly everyone expected before the Maryland kickoff.  I mean, how could we possibly get this much worse???  Basically we just lost Poona and Dickson from the bowl game in which we beat a lot better team than Tulsa, this USC and probably even Maryland.

Our complete suckage makes no sense....

Our suckage makes plenty of sense.

Mizzou fell somewhere between Baylor and Tech last year in terms of team quality. "But muh six game winning streak!!!" Go look who they beat and tell me even last year's shitty Texas team doesn't pound every single one of those teams. We beat them because they sucked ass and we were more motivated to be in our first bowl in three years. Dickson is already a top 5 NFL punter and will be so for 15 years. He is very possibly the best college punter ever. He also is the main reason we won the bowl game, and had a lot to do with the defense having strong performances as well.

Poona made the Seahawks, a team known for stout defense, and would have been a third round pick or better if just another couple inches taller (dumb). We also lost three other guys on D who are on active 53 man NFL rosters right now, and not for shitty defensive units either. The defense lost a staggering amount of talent that is not easily replaced. No one wanted to admit it during the offseason. Fine. Kool aid is tasty, I get it. After two games I am shocked the fan base is still expecting a top tier defense. It really should have set in by now that we are not going to replace Poona, Holton Hill, Malik, and sure as fuck not replacing Dickson. B Jones has tools and might be able to approximate Elliott but the jury is out there. At best, this unit will be a solid B/B+ after a year of experience and reasonable injury luck.

The offense barely has a modicum of talent to improve upon... You can multiply zero productivity by 1000% but it's still zero. I admit I fell into the trap here. I expected major regression on D but I thought an offseason and spring of coaching in the same system would help with Sam's decision making. I thought the new offensive philosophy was code for Herman asserting more control and that we'd see much more coherent and effective gameplans. I thought the OL would be able to improve to something approaching average (this has actually happened, it seems). But again, reality is plain as day. Sam is still a low football IQ player and our offensive strategy is still laughable. Hand has done nice work, though. Credit where it's due.

This team will compete in the B12 because the conference sucks outside of three, maybe four teams. It is definitely capable of beating USC, who has looked equally dysfunctional. Six, seven, even eight wins is not totally out of the question (OSU might suck, WVU has to stay healthy and we get them late, and you never know with OU, so we may pick one of those off) at this point just because of how down a majority of this conference is but make no mistake this is and will continue to be a very unimpressive team. 9-10 was never going to happen and that people are still clinging to that absolutely blows my mind. It is straight up more likely that we go 3-9. 

32 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

That will allow Roach to spin down and play his true position besides running around clueless.

This will pay a lot of dividends. He is useless at MLB, which is not his fault. Even if someone else useless is out there, at least he can wreak havoc as an edge hybrid. Weird to me that that's the direction they went in the first place but it will nice to seehim get back to being a big plus defender.

6 hours ago, Domedriver said:

With the expected rain delay, where should Coach Potato send Beck to get pizza from?

Tater Tom will get Digiorno from Food King and have some of it burned and keep some of it frozen and serve it up like that to those that displease him....like those RBs that gain more than 5 yards per carry.

Edited by El Squared

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I don't know that I agree with this. Any win will be a big win. There isn't a school in the country that would be disappointed with beating USC in a close game. 

Right. Every game matters.

Hear that , Tater Tom?

Every game: Maryland, who shamed your $5.25 million ass last year’s and this year. Tulsa, who lost 10 games last year.Every fucking game. 

Got it?

Work and adapt like it matters.

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

you know how I can tell you're not from around here?

I don’t care if there’s no Food King in the ATX.

i lived there btw from 1998-2017.only HEBs in the area.

I just picked a low end grocery store for my example.

Sorry if I offended your geo sensitivities or merchantile accumen .

Now go get your fucking shinebox.

Good read.

Texas and USC will face off for Round 2 of the home-and-home series. The Longhorns were unable to do enough to walk away from the Coliseum with a W after last year's double overtime thriller, but will have a chance to avenge themselves against the Trojans this Saturday. Horns247 caught up with USCFootball.com beat reporter Dan Webber to get his take on where things stand with USC.

Q: How big of a concern is it for the Trojans that they were unable to score a touchdown against Stanford?

A: Was it a concern when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, which by the way had not happened the last time that USC did not score a touchdown against Stanford. So yeah, that's a big deal. USC stalling drives in plus-territory is becoming a real drag. How someone always commits a penalty, misses a block and they're forced to scramble happened against UNLV when the first five trips into or near the red zone produced five field goals. And then Saturday was a disaster. Five opportunities to score on Stanford, one field goal. There's a lack of confidence in this USC offense that's becoming contagious. They can't let it continue another game.

Q: Whether fair or not, it seems JT Daniels is getting a lot of the blame for the offensive performance against the Cardinal. How much of an impact did his play make on the outcome of the game, and what does he need to work on ahead of Saturday’s game?

A: Anybody blaming JT just displays his or her ignorance. The kid badly bruised his throwing hand on the first series and came back after X-rays and played like a trooper despite terrible protection. He completed 16 passes, same as Stanford's KJ Costello who received so much praise for his performance, for more yards (215 to 182) and did not get great support from his pass-dropping receivers. Kid is very talented. Has a great head on his shoulders. Did he make a bad throw and a bad read or two? You bet. Was he a bit "happy-footed" in the pocket at times? Of course. You would be too. The times he stood in there he got sacked. He'll be fine. Give him any time and he'll get the ball to his receivers. What he had to do against Stanford was guess who would be open on his first read since he mostly didn't have time to get to the second and third ones. Give him the time to do that and he will pick you apart.

Q: What is the biggest question mark on the USC two-deep entering the Texas game?

A: Tight end maybe. Josh Falo returns to give USC three there but this has not been a productive spot with the first two. Or maybe safety. USC has lost three in just over two weeks for all sorts of reasons including two fighting for an original starting spot so now there are three left with an additional converted freshman corner.

Q: Where do you feel the Trojans will have the edge over the Longhorns? Where do you feel they are at a disadvantage?

A: USC's roster probably has more overall talent, if there's a value in that. According to recruiting rankings, USC's roster is right around third in the nation behind Alabama and Ohio State and maybe right with Georgia and Clemson in the five classes making up this roster. But they don't play like it yet. They don't have that confidence and swagger that Pete Carroll's teams did going on the road for a big game that brought out the best in them. Do that and good things happen. We haven't seen it that often under Clay Helton. Texas' best edge, you'd think, would be watching last year's game. The Longhorns should have won. They played a heck of a game. Really came after USC. Just left it close enough for Sam Darnold to perform his magic at the end. But that Texas defense handled USC for most of the game. Their physicality was impressive. Not sure they played that way most of the rest of the way last season but if they give that effort, they'll make it tough on USC.

Q: Prediction: What do you think will be the outcome of Saturday’s game?

A: Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm no longer in the business of predicting what this USC team is going to do -- especially on the road. I can easily make a case for how they win Saturday. And just as easily make the case for why they don't win. And I get to see practice every week. Does JT arrive this week? Do the USC coaches figure it out on offense? Does the USC O-line do the same? Does a decent defense keep giving up explosive plays? I do think the outcome will be determined by USC, good or bad. But have no idea how that will happen. Just how it could happen. And that doesn't help me make the pick here.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Horns247-Predictions-Texas-vs-USC-121806322

18 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

Kopp0e, just curious.   What do you do for a living?

Why, as I am not curious what another poster does for his/ her living...
I've occasionally, stated what I do for a living/ amount of kids I have/ where I attended college... It's in the thread(s), kinda like the tomato sauce commercial, "it's in there"... 

Edited by kopp0e
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Why, as I am not curious what another poster does for his/ her living...
I've occasionally, stated what I do for a living/ amount of kids I have/ where I attended college... It's in the thread(s), kinda like the tomato sauce commercial, "it's in there"... 

I was being sarcastic.  You have nearly 3,500 posts!  

• Like 1

My neighbor is the strength and conditioning coach for USC and he actually thinks Texas will be better this game he seems to think that we’ve been holding back I told him he’s wrong LOL but he did ask and I’m curious as to why our running Plays are slower to develop than old people fuck. The snap and hold the ball out for rb to take it in 6 seconds allows the def tocmeet sam before ball carrier 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Go get your fucking shine box is one of my favorite sayings.

and yet people never remember that billy batts later got the shit kicked out of him and expired in the trunk of a car before being buried in an unmarked grave by the side of the road, and later unceremoniously exhumed and moved because a condo tower was going in there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

My neighbor is the strength and conditioning coach for USC and he actually thinks Texas will be better this game he seems to think that we’ve been holding back I told him he’s wrong LOL but he did ask and I’m curious as to why our running Plays are slower to develop than old people fuck. The snap and hold the ball out for rb to take it in 6 seconds allows the def tocmeet sam before ball carrier 

First of all, why do you hate punctuation? 

Second, I hope he's right, but it's really sad that we look so bad that people naturally assume we're holding back.  I've heard that several other places and sadly I don't believe it.  I think what we see is who we are. 

If we are holding back, I'm not sure it's for this game vs big 12 play.  We're not going to do anything on the national stage this year, so if we're holding back wouldn't we save it for big 12 play vs reveal against usc?

Again, I don't believe that we are, though.  We'll know soon enough. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

So what's the latest on the USC QB situation. Is he out or not. I think Tom needs all the help he can get.

Pretty sure JT Daniels is playing. He did come back and finish the game for USC against Stanford after getting checked up so I can't imagine he would miss this game after a week's rest. He's been practicing for most of the week and was lifting and participating in full pads practice as of Tuesday.

18 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Good, we don’t do too well with anything that hasn’t been on film. God forbid they put in a backup QB or change OCs anytime soon. 

Yup, if their coach is out - were fucked

If their RB is out - were fucked

If their starting WR Corps is out - were fucked

If their starting QB is out - were really fucked

If their starting QB is replaced by a dual threat, true freshman, coaches son-qb wearing a knee brace and/or a throwing sleeve.......... pray

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Good, we don’t do too well with anything that hasn’t been on film. God forbid they put in a backup QB or change OCs anytime soon. 

We’ve made legends out of a lot of guys who didn’t play much before or after they were force to play vs us 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The snap and hold the ball out for rb to take it in 6 seconds allows the def tocmeet sam before ball carrier

This. 

Any of you coach types have theory on why our zone-read mesh is so awkward/slow?  Don't recall this being a glaring issue last year,  but have sure noticed it in game 1 and 2.   Maybe they are allowing Sam to actually option this year (versus predetermined last year) and he's taking his sweet time.  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If it isn't in here, D Davis will be starting again tomorrow. If it's already been said, sorry, I haven't been following much this week.

good news.  imo, the only two young guys who are ready to play in the secondary are sterns and foster.  boyce and thompson aren't ready and even though i don't think davis is some world beater, he's a much better option than either of those guys at this time.

13 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

good news.  imo, the only two young guys who are ready to play in the secondary are sterns and foster.  boyce and thompson aren't ready and even though i don't think davis is some world beater, he's a much better option than either of those guys at this time.

Still would've liked to see Cook before SC since he's the future field corner anyways.