USC v. Texas Discussion - Let It Begin

Wally Pryor

54 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Their skill position players and speed are why I'm not optimistic. They haven't looked great at all but neither have we. But we look slow. They don't. 

They interviewed David Shaw right after the game and he was kind of pissed about hearing about "USC's athletes".  "We've got athletes in our secondary." he said.

I thought San Diego state looked faster and tougher.  I think if we want to win, we can beat these guys physically.

1 minute ago, Tailleur17 said:

Your takes are bad and you should feel bad. 

I will be happy until I am not.  We won a fucking ugly game.  We are 1 and 1.  I am not going to spend this week in a funk after a win.  DKR will be rocking.  It was rocking for fucking Tulsa.  Drunks yelling so loud I thought I was in Mississippi.  

• Like 2

This thing could honestly go either way and I won't be shocked at the outcome. I will however be shocked if we win the game and look good doing it...on both sides of the ball.

I'd like to be shocked, not counting on it based on what I've seen the past two weeks.

2 hours ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

To be fair I have never thought Texas players have looked exceptionally fast.- even when they are clearly outrunning opponents.

Ingram looks really fast and explosive.
Therefore, he MUST stay on the sidelines at all costs.  It's a recent Texas tradition.

46 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Did you go to the Tulsa game?  If you don't think it will be loud and rocking for USC then I don't know what to say.  

90% of this board never actually attends a game.  They just like to bitch and moan from the couch.   It will no doubt be a great atmosphere.  Just hope the team shows up for the first time this season.

• Like 1

Ironically this will be an interesting matchup of similar styles......but not in a good way. Two different coaching staff’s who have talent at their disposal, but apparently don’t have a clue on how to deploy it.

SC has speed, they showed that against Stanford. Nothing more entertaining then watching wideouts run route after route and never see the ball. After the third or fourth play they started pulling up. 

And what that dumb ass Shaw was rambling about post game is anyone’s guess. Congratulations, you beat another shitty SC team. 

7 hours ago, victory88 said:

This is a winnable game and hopefully get our guys to play like they care.  This is either going to be a confidence booster heading into tcu, ksu, ou or we're going to see this team quit mid way through the season.

Can the Longhorns trample the Trojan horse in the battle for Austin..? 

UT has a good shot, if the defense plays close to the bar set in last year's game against USC:

Last season, UT defense played lights out, seemed unfazed with the hostile crowd in the Coliseum, use that same strategy, and UT has a shot against USC athletes...

SC has not proven to have a particularly good ground game and has a true freshman QB who has shown he will make freshman mistakes. They also have not been good on defense against the run.

If Texas plays smart, assignment sound football on defense and commits to running the ball with a blend of Ingram, Watson, Ehlinger, and some D Young in the second half it is definitely a winnable game. However, I do fully expect this staff to blow it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 9/8/2018 at 10:40 PM, Valmy77 said:

Well...I will watch it.

Even if USC does suck ass we will still have to play far above anything we did against Maryland or Tulsa to beat them. I hope just seeing those famous helmets will get our guys fired up, the 2017 team did step up when they played big helmet teams.

But that is all I got for optimism. I hope Humphrey and Ingram get the ball a lot. I hope the defense stops sucking ass. In hope the punting unit stops being bad.

I think you nailed it. We have to establish the run. )You can't do that with four wide.)

If by some miracle, we were trying to hide some of our offense from USC on Sat. night, explaining why it was so shitty, then it's just as likely that they've been hiding their offense from us. We're in big trouble.

31 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If Texas plays smart, assignment sound football on defense and commits to running the ball with a blend of Ingram, Watson, Ehlinger, and some D Young in the second half it is definitely a winnable game. However, I do fully expect this staff to blow it.

Won't be with Ingram - he's on crutches and questionable for Saturday. Does your answer change with Porter split out wide or getting 1.5 yards on first down?

I personally think we are going to come out and play lights out.  We will win, and everybody will be like, "where's this team been all year..."  the hype will begin the following week, then we get steamrolled by TCU and we will be "they're still shitty."  Just my take on the matter.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAGS® said:

I personally think we are going to come out and play lights out.  We will win, and everybody will be like, "where's this team been all year..."  the hype will begin the following week, then we get steamrolled by TCU and we will be "they're still shitty."  Just my take on the matter.  

So it’ll be a defensive battle again where Gus Johnson goes nuts in the broadcast booth.

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This should be a stadium atmosphere like Notre Dame in 2016.  But I wonder how losing to fucking Maryland again and holding on for a win against mother fucking Tulsa, combined with a shitty weather forecast, might put a damper on that.

I think the atmosphere will be awesome.   At least at the beginning.   People have been looking forward to this game for a long time and we'll all have had enough booze to convince ourselves last 2 weeks were an aberration and we're going to dominate.   Get down 14 points early though and it will turn quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elnimo said:

Texas defense will make the freshman QB look like a Heisman candidate.  Texas loses when Sam fumbles/throws a pick on the game winning drive.  I'm going to drink a lot of bourbon Saturday.

That FR didn't look impressive in the 4th quarter against Stanford (all I've seen of them) but saw where he hurt his hand earlier in the game.    Hard to know what impact that might have had.  Of course, Stanford's D is a lot better than our from what we've seen so far.  If our front 7 doesn't improve and he has all day to throw all bets are off.